Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have recently read interesting fanfic. It's Detour by Kindred and it's available on Nocturnal Light. The premise is quite unusual. Spike and Buffy are in an established relationship post Chosen when suddenly Drusilla turns up, captures Spike, and destroys all of his memories from the day they both arrived in Sunnydale on.

    Detour by Kindred | Nocturnal Light (nocturnal-light.net)

    flow


    Banner by Brendan

    Comment


    • Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll add it to my 'to read' list. It's quite a long list

    • redtent
      redtent commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds interesting.

  • Another rec - this is a debut fic for the writer at least on Elysian Fields and AO3 and it is one of the best fics I have ever read.

    It is about loss, grief, and healing. It broke my heart and made me cry. But it does so in the most beautiful way.

    to walk on your knees, repenting by fallrain on Elysian Fields

    to walk on your knees, repenting by fallrain (dark-solace.org)
    to walk on your knees, repenting. - Chapter 1 - fallofrain - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]

    flow
    Last edited by flow; 24-07-21, 11:17 PM.

    Banner by Brendan

    Comment


    • Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      Does Dawn die and never come back?

    • flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it is incredibly sad but in a good way.

    • GoSpuffy
      GoSpuffy commented
      Editing a comment
      Read it! Loved it!

  • Didn't we talk recently about why all those fanfics with the long titles all in lower case are usually and mysteriously so very well written? Well, I have another example, or five if you will.

    my blood tastes like laughter by chasingfiction is a five-stories and 65k words series on a03. The stories aren't really connected except that they all focus on Spike and his desire to belong and that they all are missing scenes.

    i won't be shamed by you

    is a comic fic and basically just about the Scoobies watching telly together somewhere. It is set in those happy times when Spike and Buffy were in an established relationship.

    in

    post script (don’t you miss me?)

    we see Spike writing postcards to his cousin (you remember? The one who has such bloody tragic taste in men that she married a Frovlayx demon) through the decades.

    operator, put me through to 1630 revello

    has Angel trying to call either Buffy or Willow or Giles through seasons 5-7 and always ending up with Spike on the line. Spike loves it. Of course he does.

    do you wanna break bread with me?

    has missing scenes from the summer before season 6 as well as season 6 while Dawn is in a romantic (though not sexual) relationship with her friend Janice.

    am i a stranger to you?

    is the last one in the series and I haven't finished reading it yet but the series is so awesome so far that I couldn't wait and had to recommend it here.

    my blood tastes like laughter - chasingfictions - Angel: the Series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Comics 1998), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV), The Bachelor RPF [Archive of Our Own]




    Banner by Brendan

    Comment


    • Originally posted by flow View Post
      Didn't we talk recently about why all those fanfics with the long titles all in lower case are usually and mysteriously so very well written? Well, I have another example, or five if you will.

      my blood tastes like laughter by chasingfiction is a five-stories and 65k words series on a03. The stories aren't really connected except that they all focus on Spike and his desire to belong and that they all are missing scenes.

      i won't be shamed by you

      is a comic fic and basically just about the Scoobies watching telly together somewhere. It is set in those happy times when Spike and Buffy were in an established relationship.

      in

      post script (don’t you miss me?)

      we see Spike writing postcards to his cousin (you remember? The one who has such bloody tragic taste in men that she married a Frovlayx demon) through the decades.

      operator, put me through to 1630 revello

      has Angel trying to call either Buffy or Willow or Giles through seasons 5-7 and always ending up with Spike on the line. Spike loves it. Of course he does.

      do you wanna break bread with me?

      has missing scenes from the summer before season 6 as well as season 6 while Dawn is in a romantic (though not sexual) relationship with her friend Janice.

      am i a stranger to you?

      is the last one in the series and I haven't finished reading it yet but the series is so awesome so far that I couldn't wait and had to recommend it here.

      my blood tastes like laughter - chasingfictions - Angel: the Series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Comics 1998), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV), The Bachelor RPF [Archive of Our Own]
      I support these recommendations 100%! Btw I also recommend chasingfictions' Tara pre-Sunnydale fic we don't make it out of this house alive. Read it even if you're not specifically a Tara fan (like me). It's just really good and it made me appreciate Tara so much more.
      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

      Comment


      • I just finished But Baby by Dusty. If you're up for some fluffy domestic Spuffy I really recommend you read it. I haven't read many baby fics so far, but this one is soooo good.

        Comment


        • GoSpuffy
          GoSpuffy commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG a baby and a charmed cross over? Squee!!!

      • A new fic by SummerFrost!

        This is a sequel to wouldn't it be nice? and it's called where my heart was made (my feet will always land)

        where my heart was made (my feet will always land) - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]

        This story is set in season 5 and Spike and Buffy are now in an extremely happy and established relationship. I don't remember having ever read a Spuffy story where Buffy is so deeply in love with Spike. Usually, she has a lot of reservations about his soulless state.
        Nevertheless, this is season 5. It's not an AU. The first half of the story is about Buffy dealing with Joyce's death. If you ever lost a loved one, be aware that this story might bring back some raw emotions. I for my part cried like a baby.

        ETA: And yet another one: heaven, make me an offer by SummerFrost (Part 3 of the wouldn't it be nice? series)

        heaven, make me an offer - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]
        The third part of the series covers season 6 and deals with Buffy's trauma after the resurrection. The depiction of her trauma and depression is so brutally realistic. if you think reading about those issues might trigger you, be aware. Buffy does have support and will finally heal but it is a long way to go.

        flow
        Last edited by flow; 15-08-21, 08:19 PM.

        Banner by Brendan

        Comment


        • I want to recommend Collateralö Damage by cindergal on AO3. It was originally published in 2006 and is set post Chosen. Buffy has dragged Spike out of the Hellmouth before he burnt to ashes and now there are interesting plot twists that I can't really reveal because that would be spoiler-y.

          Everyone should read this, it is really a fantastic fic with great characterization, even for Angel.

          Collateral Damage - cindergal - Buffy the Vampire Slayer [Archive of Our Own]

          flow

          Banner by Brendan

          Comment


          • Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I have Stoney and I really enjoyed it too

          • Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Just wanting to make sure you hadn't missed it. Sequels can sometimes go unnoticed.

          • flow
            flow commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm surprised you did not enjoy this fic, Stoney. I thought it was a very realistic picture of
            Spoiler:
            soulless
            Spike.

        • flow I read it five years ago but felt
          Spoiler:
          it played him as too much the same with/without the soul. Like he wouldn't know instantly that he'd lost it, which really bothered me. I also felt there was a hint at him having regretted getting it, even if he did want it back, it was in great part because it had been taken off him. He felt the loss of the soul but the meaning of it and the difference felt reduced. Or at least that's how I remember it.

          kimothyschma had recommended it to me, she really liked it too. And as I said I did like the voicing and I thought the basic idea of what had happened to Spike was a really interesting one. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it, I just didn't like it as much as you and Pricey (and kimothyschma) seem to.

          Comment


          • Stoney
            He felt the loss of the soul but the meaning of it and the difference felt reduced. Or at least that's how I remember it.
            Yes, that was in there but I felt the writer put that in deliberately to show the difference between souled Spike and soulless Spike. He couldn't feel the meaning and the difference the soul made because he didn't have it. I actually thought the difference between his soulless self and his ensouled self was also shown in other details such as him thinking about killing Vi. I thought it was written very cleverly.

            But let's move on to more Spuffy fanfic recommendations. SummerFrost has published yet another Spuffy fanfic. This one is set in heaven:

            i will follow you into the dark - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]

            flow


            Banner by Brendan

            Comment


            • Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              I can see that pov, the limitation unsouled lessens the ability to feel the impact of the soul. But I think he'd feel changed, not noticing just suggests less difference to me. I appreciate some distinctions were shown.

          • Originally posted by flow View Post
            SummerFrost has published yet another Spuffy fanfic. This one is set in heaven:

            i will follow you into the dark - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]
            That's certainly an interesting setting. I'll add it to my list of ones to read.

            Comment


            • flow
              flow commented
              Editing a comment
              My list of ones to read has about 100 fics ...

            • Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm the same. I have copies of 100s of stories that I've taken to read and definitely add them quicker than I read them.

          • Originally posted by flow View Post
            SummerFrost has published yet another Spuffy fanfic. This one is set in heaven:

            i will follow you into the dark - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]

            flow
            I read this in one go on Sunday, The ultimate comfort fic! (At least the first half.) Loved it.

            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

            Comment


            • GoSpuffy
              GoSpuffy commented
              Editing a comment
              How can I resist a review like this ?

          • I also read the new SummerFrost in one sitting. SummerFrost is just genius as a spuffy writer. I am now 2 chapters into Prisoners of Love, blue skies above by Bewildered. Highly recommend!

            "I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

            Comment


            • Double Dutchess
              Double Dutchess commented
              Editing a comment
              Very much agreed about SummerFrost! Prisoners of Love, Blue Skies Above is also very enjoyable.

          • I just finished i will follow you into the dark. It's perfect, it's all I can say.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
              Sick with a bad cold in bed (Not Covid, thank goodness!) but really enjoying a new fic on EF called Choices by a new writer, lafillesauvagep

              The plot hinges on choices given to both Angel and Spike after NFA - which determines their destinies. Interesting little fic that's about halfway through now as far as I can tell. Warning for Bangel fans - because it's on EF, it has a Spuffy ending.

              https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6872
              Thanks for the recommend, I really enjoyed this one. Waited till it was complete to read.

              Comment


            • Felt a bit sick and woozy after a hard day and decided to peruse EF just for a lark to see what was new before rereading Prisoners of Love again.

              And got caught up in OffYourBird ‘s new fic ‘From That Dream’s Apocalypse’ - itt’s not remotely finished yet, but just as with her other fics, I can’t help but applaud her marvelous ingenuity. In fact, it’s such a terrific setup that I don’t even want to spoil the plot. Just go and read it - you won’t be disappointed.

              https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6942

              As a long time fan of Oliver Sacks (I was even fortunate enough to meet him), the fic was exactly what the doctor ordered. I feel more energized already and can’t wait to read more. I remember a movie a few years back with a similar plot - but what @OffYourBird’s done with it in within the Buffyverse is a master course in world building.

              Edit: Forgot to mention that it’s in some ways a very sad fic - not tragic, but not an easy read either. But very, very well done so far.
              Last edited by American Aurora; 04-11-21, 03:52 AM.

              Comment


              • GoSpuffy
                GoSpuffy commented
                Editing a comment
                Added thanks!

              • flow
                flow commented
                Editing a comment
                I think she talked about this one (and another one) during the Q&A, mentioning she wants to finish them both next.

              • OffYourBird
                OffYourBird commented
                Editing a comment
                flow : you betcha! Finishing my two WIPs, this one and If We Must Die, is at the top of my list. With only a short break to post a site-versary/million word celebration fic Nov 30

            • Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
              Felt a bit sick and woozy after a hard day and decided to peruse EF just for a lark to see what was new before rereading Prisoners of Love again.

              And got caught up in OffYourBird ‘s new fic ‘From That Dream’s Apocalypse’ - itt’s not remotely finished yet, but just as with her other fics, I can’t help but applaud her marvelous ingenuity. In fact, it’s such a terrific setup that I don’t even want to spoil the plot. Just go and read it - you won’t be disappointed.

              https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6942

              As a long time fan of Oliver Sacks (I was even fortunate enough to meet him), the fic was exactly what the doctor ordered. I feel more energized already and can’t wait to read more. I remember a movie a few years back with a similar plot - but what @OffYourBird’s done with it in within the Buffyverse is a master course in world building.

              Edit: Forgot to mention that it’s in some ways a very sad fic - not tragic, but not an easy read either. But very, very well done so far.
              Oh goodness, you've got me all aflutter, Aurora! It truly means much more than I can say that you're enjoying Dreams. And you met Oliver Sacks?? OMG that's SO cool. (I had prepared to go into cognitive science research once upon a time, and that education definitely informed the lens I've approached this fic with.)

              Comment


              • I'd like to recommend Autumn by LiraelClayr007

                It's poetry more than fiction, about Buffy getting older.

                https://archiveofourown.org/works/35245522

                I also enjoyed I Am NOT Like Angel by ThatOneAnnoyingFox

                https://archiveofourown.org/works/35195584



                Last edited by Priceless; 29-11-21, 06:04 PM.

                Comment

                Working...
                X