New Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another SummerFrost fic recommendation:

if i think that you might like me (i might start getting lonely) by SummerFrost on AO3

This is a fic for all cat lovers. Spike gets adopted by a cat! He names the cat Rupert. Giles is not amused. Set in season 4, 25k words. This fic has very little Buffy in it but a lot of Scoobie & Spike friendship. It's funny, it's hilarious and then all of a sudden it breaks your heart. And unbreaks it again. Fantastic!

if i think that you might like me (i might start getting lonely) - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]

flow

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      This sounds like good fun, I've added it to my ever expanding 'to read' wish list.

• Originally posted by flow View Post
    Another SummerFrost fic recommendation:

if i think that you might like me (i might start getting lonely) by SummerFrost on AO3

This is a fic for all cat lovers. Spike gets adopted by a cat! He names the cat Rupert. Giles is not amused. Set in season 4, 25k words. This fic has very little Buffy in it but a lot of Scoobie & Spike friendship. It's funny, it's hilarious and then all of a sudden it breaks your heart. And unbreaks it again. Fantastic!

if i think that you might like me (i might start getting lonely) - SummerFrost - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV) [Archive of Our Own]

flow
    I have been wanting to read something by SummerFrost, and this one sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the rec

Right now I am reading Pretty Petals by Dusty. I was actually looking for Dusty's current Spuffel WIP, Embers, but it isn't on AO3 yet. Instead I got sucked into Pretty Petals, and I have been really enjoying it so far. It's a Season 5 rewrite that goes AU from after Joyce's death. In this AU, Spike did manage to deliver his flowers!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      I really enjoyed Pretty Petals

• redtent
      redtent commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty Petals is really good, but Flickers is still my favorite from Dusty.

• Double Dutchess
      Double Dutchess commented
      Editing a comment
      redtent I still need to read Flickers; besides Pretty Petals I've only read Safe so far. Thanks for the rec!

• New fics by SummerFrost keep coming. https://archiveofourown.org/works/31681700

Not that I'm complaining

Comment

• Double Dutchess
      Editing a comment
      I'm reading that one now!

• SpuffyGlitz
      SpuffyGlitz commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't read anything by SummerFrost, I will check them out.

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      I just finished it and now I am heartbroken that there are no more new SummerFrost fics for me. I'll go start re-reading...

• I am going to leave a very short summary of the two most recent SummerFrost Spuffy fics.

(love me) as much as your heart can stand by SummerFrost

This story is set in season 6 and like her other season 6 story it is definitely harsher and edgier than her season 4 and season 5 fics. But juxtaposed against a dark affair where Buffy comes to Spike to get hurt there is a lovely, fluffy online romance developing in the style of You've Got Mail. It's sometimes difficult to believe neither of them realizes that Anne and William are in fact Buffy and Spike but it is fun to go along with it. Fair warning: There is a scene in this fic that involves fisting. There was a discussion about this in fanfics recently (I admit I have never come across it before) but in this fic, the scene is written with so much love that it really should not put anyone off reading the story.

wouldn't it be nice? (in the kind of world where we belonged) by SummerFrost

This fic is set in season 4 and just because of that so much more lighthearted than the above-mentioned "love me as much as your heart can stand". It starts off with Something Blue and retells the tale of Buffy and Spike planning their marriage. After the spell has been broken both Buffy and Spike have to deal with the repercussions and turn to the only person who is going through the same. Slowly a friendship develops and they grow closer and closer. But their friendship is not a shortcut to Spuffyness. It is the main focus of the fic and only at the very end they both admit there might be feelings involved.

I really can't say which one of SummerFrosts Spuffy fics I like most. They are all so very well written that you can pick one fic when you are in a season 6 mood and another when you are in a season 5 mood and you'll always be happy with your choice.

I hope she continues to write for Spuffy.

flow

Comment

• Double Dutchess
      Editing a comment
      "Wouldn't it be nice" was AMAZING, I'm going to read all of SummerFrost's fics now.

• ConfusedAmphibian
      ConfusedAmphibian commented
      Editing a comment
      I read "(love me) as much as your heart can stand" over the last few days and it was SO GOOD! So I am also going to read all of SummerFrost's fics now.

• GoSpuffy
      GoSpuffy commented
      Editing a comment
      Just finished (love me) as much as you can. I am now officially on the summerfrost band wagon

• All I can say is keep those recs coming - I am having a blast reading. The cat story is actually a really great episode that they never filmed - one of the best eps ever.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Another SummerFrost fic recommendation:

flow
      I finished reading this fic this weekend and I just want to say it is everything flow says it is! Absolutely wonderful and fully recommended, also for non-cat lovers. (But I'm sure cat lovers will appreciate it even more. This was clearly written by someone who knows cats.)

Comment

• GoSpuffy
        GoSpuffy commented
        Editing a comment
        I read it too, loved it!

• Just wanted to drop a note here and say that one of the funniest and long-running fan fictions, Prisoners of Love, Blue Skies Above by bewildered has finally been updated a few times after quite a while! I think the fic started in 2015 and the writer is still plugging away at it.

Prisoners of Love first grabbed my attention because of the reference to the hilarious ending to Mel Brooks' The Producers where prisoners star in a cheesy Broadway musical. You can find it on the Spuffy fan fiction site Elysian Fields (Dark Solace). It's quite a hoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
        Just wanted to drop a note here and say that one of the funniest and long-running fan fictions, Prisoners of Love, Blue Skies Above by bewildered has finally been updated a few times after quite a while! I think the fic started in 2015 and the writer is still plugging away at it.

Prisoners of Love first grabbed my attention because of the reference to the hilarious ending to Mel Brooks' The Producers where prisoners star in a cheesy Broadway musical. You can find it on the Spuffy fan fiction site Elysian Fields (Dark Solace). It's quite a hoot.
        Yes, it's awesome! I love all bewildered's fics, but this one has to be my favourite. I'm so happy it's being updated again.

Btw I think this post belongs in the Spuffy fanfic recommendations thread more than in the fanfic archives thread.
        Last edited by Double Dutchess; 22-06-21, 04:48 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Well spotted! I'll move them both.

Okay, our "old" Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations thread seems to not have survived the upgrade. My heart breaks to think about all the wonderful recommendations we have shared in the thread and are now gone.
        I just saw this when moving Aurora's latest recommendation in here. This won't be the case any longer of course because the problem that caused the larger threads to not be openable was fixed. It might be worth editing in a link to the old thread in the OP of this one.

Comment

• flow
          flow commented
          Editing a comment
          Done! <3 <3

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic, thanks for tracking it down and linking to it flow .

• I would like to recommend Did You Ever Know by violettathepiratequeen. It's only 5 chapters and a fun little read 📚

Comment

• Revisitng Sappho by Bjarka99

This is pure pwp but it's a little different to anything else I've read in this genre, and very well written. Buffy tells Spike all about her time with Satsu.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/5238281

Comment

• Just finished Child of Shadow, another fantastic fic by Sigyn

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6769

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I love most of Sigyn's fics and this one is right up there with the best. Love to know what you think once you've read it redtent

• flow
            flow commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know how I will ever be able to catch up. Child of Shadow is on my to-read list but so are Death Wish and Dare ... okay, I probably shouldn't be complaining ;-)

• redtent
            redtent commented
            Editing a comment
            I read both Death Wish and Dare and I love them so much. IMO, one of the best by Sigyn

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I would like to recommend Did You Ever Know by violettathepiratequeen. It's only 5 chapters and a fun little read 📚
          That was a wonderful and enjoyable read! Just what I needed - some lighthearted fun, banter, and a question game. There is a sequel that is being posted right now. i will read that as soon as it is finished.

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I didn't know there was a sequel, thanks flow, I'll read it when it's finished.

• I'd like to recommend My Own Private Idaho by Desire, though it's titled as by bornforwar archivist. The Born For War fic site closed in 2015 and the archivist has been uploading all the fics to AO3 since 2016 in an effort to save them, which I am sure we here all think is admirable work.

It's the story of Buffy the Watcher, now based in Idaho, and Spike returns from the dead.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/18963334

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Does anyone remember Born For War fic site? It closed in 2015.

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never heard of it before now.

• flow
            flow commented
            Editing a comment
            That was before I came to fandom and fanfiction. The best places to ask for missing authors would probably be The Spuffy Realm and the shoutbox on Elysian Fields.
            Last edited by flow; 09-07-21, 10:01 PM.

• I'd like to recommend Defenseless by Rebcake. It starts out as a cute little story set in season 4 and it has one of the most Joss'ian twists I've ever seen in a fic. I can actually see it happening on the show. It's 10k words. I love all of Rebcake's stories and think they should get more attention.

Defenseless by Rebcake (dark-solace.org)

flow

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            I've always got a pile of fics to read and ones I'm behind on with the reading group, but I'll definitely add this to my list.

• Full Circle by Cockney Cecilia - Spike and Buffy meet after a decade apart. Sweet but feels real.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16399076

Comment

• bespangeled
            bespangeled commented
            Editing a comment
            What an utterly delightful way to start the day - thank you.

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the rec.

• Enjoyed A Storm Fast Descending by amidtheflowers. It is Spuffy but there is equal weight given to Giles/Ethan relationship and it works really well.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=7024

Comment

• Rewritten by The Sigyn - What happens if the gang don't get their memories back in Tabula Rasa?

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16...pters/38315189

Comment

• Sick with a bad cold in bed (Not Covid, thank goodness!) but really enjoying a new fic on EF called Choices by a new writer, lafillesauvage

The plot hinges on choices given to both Angel and Spike after NFA - which determines their destinies. Interesting little fic that's about halfway through now as far as I can tell. Warning for Bangel fans - because it's on EF, it has a Spuffy ending.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6872

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the rec! I imagine not many Bangel fans will venture into a topic titled "New Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations"

• American Aurora
                American Aurora commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooops! For some reason, I thought I was posting in the "general" thread. Ah, well, it all worked out the same.

• Nights Like This by joycometh - Only 940 words, an insight into Buffy and Spike's love life

https://archiveofourown.org/works/16284374

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                Editing a comment
                I remember that one. An original view that totally makes sense.
            Working...
            X