Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have another recommendation:

Sleeping Arrangments by CryshCn.

It's a fic set in season 5 and the basic premise is that Buffy - due to unknown reasons - wakes up every morning in Spike's crypt and Spike's bed. Since none of the Scoobie's can come up with a counterspell they just go along with it. The whole fic is taking place in Spike's bed. However, the is nothing sexual happening at all. It's such an unusual premise but it works. They banter, they talk, they slowly become friends, and even more slowly Buffy falls in love with Spike (he has long been in love with her of course.)

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6408

There is a sequel Living Arrangements. It is still a WIP but is updated regularly.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 10-10-20, 10:34 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Double Dutchess
      Double Dutchess commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds pretty weird, but I'm curious to see how they made it work.

Recently I discovered my love for all human AU fics. I avoided this category like a plague for so long. I was sure I wouldn't like to read anything like that, but I'm having a blast.

I read And a Star to Steer Her By by Sadbhyl
    http://web.archive.org/web/200601140.../andastar.html

And I finally read Crave by Nautibitz, but I'm sure this one was suggested before.

Comment

Aww, thank you for the rec, redtent . I am not a huge fan of AH fics myself but I have read several that worked really well. How did you like Crave?

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

I really enjoy AH fics. I like seeing what character traits the writers carry through into a totally different context and how that works between them. Crave is really well written and most definitely a very different dynamic. On some levels.

Comment

I normally don't read AH, but I'll admit I have read Crave just because I love Nautibitz' stories (and it was hot - yes, I'm shallow).
          https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

flow Reading the plot description I was sure I wouldn't like it, but it's considered "a classic" so I wanted to give it a try. I just love it. It's so hot and sexy and I felt kind of guilty liking it so much, but I just couldn't stop until I finished it. It's exceptionally written and the dialogues are just perfect.

There are some plot points and character traits in both fics taken from canon and turned into something new. It's so interesting to see what can be done with all that in a different setting.

Comment

• flow
              flow commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly how I feel about Crave too - fascinated and guilty :-)

• SpuffyGlitz
              SpuffyGlitz commented
              Editing a comment
              Haven't read Crave yet, but I love this author, so I totally get it :-)

I love Crave. I prefer vampire/slayer fan fictions, but I have read some really good All Human fics like Sparks in the Water.
            Last edited by Tiny Tabby; 12-12-20, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• redtent
              redtent commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds interesting. Added to my to-read list.

• Tiny Tabby
              Tiny Tabby commented
              Editing a comment
              It's Linnae13. Spike is a lonely person with an almost stalkerish crush on Buffy, a girl he sees walk by every day. It's a gentle little story set in a small town.
              Last edited by Tiny Tabby; 13-12-20, 05:50 PM.

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking forward to finding the time to read it, thanks for the rec.

Stoney I found it here.

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah fab, thank you. Added to me 'to read' pile. I'd love a week where all I have to do is eat pizza, drink hot chocolate or wine and read fanfic. *sighs at impossible dream*

• Tiny Tabby
              Tiny Tabby commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, that's the story. Thank you, redtent.

Another Spuffy fanfic recommendation:

The Darkling by OffYourBird

This is truly the War and Peace work of Spuffy fanfiction. It has been regularly updated for the last three years and has been finished just before 2020 closed. But maybe I shouldn't mention 2020 in the same sentence as this story because they have nothing in common.

This is an epic piece. It takes us (and Buffy) back to NYC 1977 where we (and she) meet an evil soulless Spike. I don't know how anyone from NYC would judge the first part of the fic but to me, it was an amazing depiction of the city and the time. The story is a rollercoaster, especially during the first part. Every time we think we have reached safe waters the rollercoaster takes another turn and we have to hold on for dear life. The second part of the fic is a re-write of all seven seasons of BtVS with little alterations of canon due to the fact that - well, something changed. This part feels smoother and more calm because we know where we are heading. There is a huge twist near the end though and one that might leave you heartbroken or in tears although the actual ending is a happy Spuffy ending.

This is a must-read fic for every Spuffy fanfiction fan and I am sure it will soon - or maybe it already does - belong the the "classics" of the genre.

The Darkling by OffYourBird (dark-solace.org)

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Double Dutchess
              Double Dutchess commented
              Editing a comment
              I wholeheartedly support this recommendation!

I also recommend The Darkling - it’s phenomenal! I was just rereading some of it this morning to post a few thoughts.

And Sparks in the Water is a charming All Human fic - probably one of the most interesting because human Spike leans a little on the side of lovesick stalker like his vampire counterpart, but the fic does a good job of developing his character growth.

Comment

I'm still on my AH streak, so I already read Sparks in the Water, and I absolutely love it. I also recommend Woded Path by the same author. Something about the author's style is so compelling to me, and the setting in both stories is just something I was looking for.

Comment

• American Aurora
                American Aurora commented
                Editing a comment
                I enjoyed both of them - thought they were really original.

Stoney I didn't know that, I guess because it was before my time. No one seems to read it though, expect you, so props to you.

Comment

I have another Spuffy fanfic recommendation. This one is one of the early fanfics. I am not sure about when exactly it has been written or published but it was definitely around the time Lessons aired, maybe even between Grave and Lessons.

This is how Buffy's and Spike's first meeting after the events of Seeing Red could also have gone. There is a lot of guilt and self-loathing on Spike's part and some on Buffy's part but there is also a Buffy who believes in Spike, something we saw also happening in the show but much later in Never Leave Me.

What I love most about this fic is the season 7 Spike - something I rarely see in a fic. It’s my favorite version of Spike and season 7 Spike fics always have a special place in my heart.

This fic can only be found online via the Waybackmachine but I can also send you a copy via email.

Current Traffic Conditions as of 5:17 p.m. (archive.org)

flow
                Last edited by flow; 15-02-21, 07:00 AM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love S7 fics, so thanks a lot for the rec!

• SpuffyGlitz
                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just to say thanks again - I wish these early fics were more accessible, I rarely see them on EF. I read this and enjoyed it! Fascinating it was written so early.

• American Aurora
                  Editing a comment
                  flow, that is one of my favorite short fics. One of the very first that I’d ever read. I still remember the scene with Spike having a breakdown.

I'm currently on chapter 6 of GTFO by Girlytek on EF and I'd recommend it to Spuffy fans. Giles has been turned into a Fyral demon and he and Spike have gone hunting for Ethan, with Buffy, Riley and the scoobies close on their tail. Spike and Giles are such a fun team and Buffy's having doubts about Riley and dreams about Spike

As I say, I've not finished it yet, but so far so good.

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That one sounds fun.

• SpuffyGlitz
                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Adding it to bookshelf right away:-) Thanks a lot!

• American Aurora
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s a really inventive fic - agree that it’s a must read if you like Giles and Spike repartee.

Awwww ... I was looking for something lighthearted and funny. Your recommendation comes at just the right moment, @Pricey!
                flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you do read it, please post your thoughts, I'd like to hear what you thought.

• American Aurora
                  Editing a comment
                  flow, can we add it to the fan fiction reading list? Now that I’m done with my projects, I’m planning to go to the Group and get caught up in the next few days!

Priceless just finished GTFO. I loved it. The humor was spot on for me. I'm going to show my appreciation by picking up some corn nuts this weekend and setting them on fire.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not a fan of WPs - the disappointment is too much if they don't ever complete.

• GoSpuffy
                  GoSpuffy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  flow is current traffic conditions complete ?

• flow
                  flow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, it is. It's very short. Just a one-shot with about 17k words.
                  Last edited by flow; 20-02-21, 09:15 AM.

Priceless
                If you do read it, please post your thoughts, I'd like to hear what you thought.
                I have finished it and it was a fantastic read. Thanks for the rec, Pricey.

A road trip fic with humor, Ethan Rayne, Giles and Spike friendship, and totally nice Scoobies - what more can you ask for? I loved Giles as a Fyarl demon. The Tabula Rasa spell was unexpected but really gave the story yet another great twist.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Every once in a while I come across a fic that I haven't seen before, haven't heard of before, that has never been recommended to me and it's still unique and fantastic in its own way. This is valid for the fic I am going to name here but I need to say that this is not a usual recommendation. This fic is as strange as it is fantastic and it is - please don't take this warning lightly - a horror fic. It is also a baby fic. It is - and that's something I have never seen before in Spuffy fandom - actually a baby-horror-fic. Think Rosemary's Baby. Think The Omen. Think bad, bad ending. The probably most fascinating thing about this fic was that I thought up until the very last chapter that everything would end well. It didn't. But I don't want to put you off I only want to warn you. This fic is incredible and if you don't mind baby-horror-fics you should absolutely read it.

It was an entry for Seasonal Spuffy back in 2010 and as far as I can see it is the only place this fic has ever been published. It's called This Be the Verse and it's by ghostyouknow27.

This Be the Verse 1/9: seasonal_spuffy — LiveJournal

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is that a good horrifying or a bad horrifying American Aurora?

• flow
                    flow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd say that depends on whether you like babies or not ;-)

• American Aurora
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm sure it was a good 'horrifying' as my usual descriptors for bad fics are along the lines of 'dull' - 'mean-spirited' - 'out of character' or 'WTF was the writer thinking?' which is reserved for fics like Xander and Biker Rats from space.

I'm half way through Inside Man by Holly and I'd like to recommend it to the group if you haven't already read it. Spike's tenure at W&H in AtS S5 is really as an undercover agent for Buffy. Each night Spike and Buffy talk on the phone. It's really well written, as you'd expect from Holly.

Comment

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We did a group read of this in the fanfiction discussion group. It would be great to hear your thoughts on it too and it was left open as a continuous thread as people were reading it at different points at the time.

• American Aurora
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I finally posted my thoughts on Inside Man months after everyone else in the fanfiction group. But I love that the threads are designed so anyone can post at any time and would love to read your thoughts on the fic, Priceless!

• Priceless
                    Priceless commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh that's great, I'll try and find the thread.

• Is EF currently down? I keep getting an error message. Wondering if it's happening to others right now as well

Comment

• flow
                    flow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I can get back in!

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, it's back for me too.

• SpuffyGlitz
                    SpuffyGlitz commented
                    Editing a comment