No announcement yet.

New Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During my holidays I had the opportunity to read lots and lots of Spuffy fics and here are my recommendations:

again,again,again by pprfaith

https://archiveofourown.org/works/8973907

This writer has 366 works on ao3, 172 of them connected to the Buffyverse and this is the only Spuffy fic among them. Just. One. Single. Fic. You can easily tell this writer is not a Spuffy and yet this fic flows so effortlessly and is written so sharp and focused - we don't even get to a Spuffy kiss because the fic ends before that but it's all there in less than 4k words. It's a Buffy time-travel fic, a trope that has been done again, again and again. But this writer does it so amazingly freakingly good. You gotta read this!

One Glorious Summer by dawnofme

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

This is a very enjoyable happy wonderful fluffy fic. Buffy tries to go on with her life after Spike's death in the Hellmouth when she suddenly sees him on tv. He has shanshued, has lost all his memories, and now calls himself John. He has picked up surfing as a hobby and writing mystery novels as a profession. Buffy sneaks into his life and tries to befriend him. Without all their baggage this is really a very happy story even though the beans do get spilled somewhere along the lines.

This Wanton World by Eurydice

There are fics by Eurydice that get recommended again and again and again. This one does not belong to them and thus slipped under my radar for a long time. No more. It has now officially become my favorite Eurydice fic. It's fantastic! It goes AU even before Buffy ever comes to Sunnydale but the whole story is so vivid and rich and detailed. It is dark but in a good way, it's plot-packed, well-paced, and has Ethan Reign in it! Spike is unchipped and evil and snarky and although Buffy is different due to certain plot points, she is still true to herself at her core.

After Dust by emg

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=1279

I have no idea who recommended this fic to me and for the longest time the summary put me off a bit from reading it. It shouldn't have! This writer has as far as I know only written this one Spuffy fic but it is an amazing, plot-packed story that has many different variations of Spike (human/vamp, souled/unsouled/chipped/unchipped) and a very original storyline as well as some nice Spike/Dawn friendship in it. The story takes off immediately after the break up in As You Were and please don't let the one event that is mentioned in the summary keep you from reading this fic.

Denial by TheEnemyOfReality

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...=2966&view=all

One of Willow's spells goes awry and Spike and Buffy are stuck together in a magical bubble or such. They can go everywhere they like but only together. This story is full of banter and then there is some more banter and also some smut (on Giles' sofa). If you are looking for some lighthearted reading that makes you smile this is your story.

Make Me Feel by The Danish Bird

Buffy feels overwhelmed with her duties and chores as early as in season 5 and thus decides to switch places with the Buffybot! This is an unusual premise and it's written very convincingly. There is a really sweet Buffybot imitation by Buffy and even though Spike does not fall for the act he still plays along.

Crossing into unchipped territory by dutchbuffy

https://archiveofourown.org/works/10...pters/24471681

I haven't finished this story and therefore reserve my final judgment but up until now, this is a fantastic story. In another dimension post-Chosen Buffy meets an evil, unchipped Spike. They have to go on a road trip together, fight off a monster, torch a farmhouse, kill Kakistos and travel through dimensions. On the way, there is a lot of banter and also some smut. They finally part ways and as a parting gift other!Spike brings Buffy her Spike. However, her own Spike is a bit miffy that Buffy has hooked up with his evil alter ego and Buffy has to work really hard to convince him that she truly loves him. I hope she will succeed .-)

Fair warning! There is a sequel to this story that goes very dark. Very.

flow

Last edited by flow; 03-09-20, 04:53 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Great recs flow.

• Double Dutchess
      Double Dutchess commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm halfway through reading "After Dust" and it's great, I love it! Many thanks for the rec!

Thanks for the recs! The ones I've read, I agree with (in particular dutchbuffy of course, because I'm a big fan) and the ones I haven't read, I will try to read. I already finished "again, again, again" which I agree is very good. I also read another fic by the same author that could be seen as Spuffy with some squinting ("How it Ends") but that one is very, very bleak.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Great choices, flow! I read all of those stories years ago, but you make me want to look at them again.

Have you been reading Twinkles on EF? Her latest fic "When All You've Got is Hurt" is almost done, but it's a curious piece in which Buffy is seriously, almost terminally depressed and traumatized and it's unusual in that no one can really help her, not even Spike despite it being a. Spuffy fic. Every time you think that the story will turn optimistic, it stays firmly in the real with Buffy still struggling. A lot of fanfic plays with the ?love conquers all' trope, so it's interesting to see it not conquer much of anything at all. There is an upward slope towards healing, but it's so slow and depressing that I'm wondering if the author has personal experience with depression.

I know I've made it sound unappealing, but it's interesting to read. I wonder if it will suddenly end on a positive note to make the readers happy or resist that kind of ending. It's post-NFA, by the way, and I'd recommend it just for a different kind of fanfic vibe.
      Last edited by American Aurora; 13-08-20, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• bespangeled
        bespangeled commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved this fic!

Thank you American Aurora ! When All You've Got is Hurt is on my to-read list but I always wait until a fic is finished before I start reading. It's not so much that I am afraid the writer could abandon the story but I just can't get into the flow of a fic if I have to stop and wait for a new chapter. Twinkles has written some of my favorite fics (Myth Taken, A Matter of Taste, Inky Drabbles) and I am eager for her new story to be finished so I can start reading :-)

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• American Aurora
        American Aurora commented
        Editing a comment
        flow, I think it's very near complete. But I'm too impatient to wait for fics to end!

flow,

You were talking somewhere on the board about discussing the fan fictions in a way that it wouldn't offend the writers. Did you have any more thoughts about that? I admit that it feels odd to discuss works from a critical standpoint knowing how much writers put their heart and soul into them. There's no point in crushing someone's spirit.

What do you think is the best solution?

Comment

I really haven?t found a satisfactory solution yet. I would love to hear other user?s opinions on this issue. Maybe I should set up a poll?

One idea was to restrict reading (not only posting) in that subforum to registered users of the forum. That would at least prevent someone from stumbling on it via google. However I don't know if that is technically possible.

If this is technically an option we could also restrict reading to members who have been approved by a mod. Or we could discuss fanfics within a private group. But that would make it almost impossible to attract new members to the discussions.

I am really torn on this

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
          I really haven?t found a satisfactory solution yet. I would love to hear other user?s opinions on this issue. Maybe I should set up a poll?
          I would love a way in which we can discuss fan fic on this site without stepping on the toes of authors who write these inspiring works. My eagerness to discuss fics is partly tempered by the fact that I don't want the fic writers themselves to feel less inspired if they chance across a discussion of their work. There was a point in the past where a discussion of a particular fanfic coincided with an author's removal of all their work from EF (it was coincidental, apparently). But I still think it would be easier to discuss fiction without encroaching on others' feelings in a discussion space which is publicly searchable. I like the idea of it being read-only for registered members, although I think Stoney mentioned that it could still be seen if an author registered on the site. Plus, there's the problem that keeping discussions "out of sight, out of mind" would encourage less participation.

The private group idea...I'm not sure how that would work, because the Spuffy Appreciation Group was a private group but discussions in it could still be seen. The only difference was that you couldn't post in it unless you joined (which I know has changed now.) And the only other difference earlier was that each time you posted in SAG, the post wouldn't pop up as an updated new 'post' on the site. But ever since the site overhaul, all the posts under SAG pop up under 'New Topics'. So I'm not sure how a private fanfic group would work because it would mean others can't really join the discussion, but the discussion itself would still be publicly viewable which defeats the purpose of it being private? Unless there is some other technical way of doing it.

I have one potential suggestion: what if there are two discussion spaces? A public discussion space, as well as a separate discussion space for those who choose to sign up for it. The second discussion space would need a moderator's approval after signing up for it - that way, it won't take discussions away from being publicly searchable/ people would still be drawn to joining the site for a vibrant fanfic section, but it would also provide an option to discuss fiction unfettered or in depth. But again, I don't know the technical aspects of the site and obviously it has to work for everyone as a solution.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, without testing it, the private function in the groups is just about joining the group, making it by invitation only rather than letting members sign up themselves. So people who want to join a private group need to contact the group owner. Consequently, it doesn't stop the posts being readable to non group members, or necessarily to non-site members either (that I'd have to test to check), but just affects being able to post in the group. I'm not sure making a specific area unreadable to the wider public, non-site members, is possible. I think that is more likely to be possible than shielding a group or area from members. It just depends on whether different fora can have separate access to the wider public, non-site members.

I would say though, even if I looked into this and found it was possible to either block a discussion group from the wider public or even have a private area only for signed up members, I'd feel really cautious about either options because blocking people reading what you are putting rather than just posting warnings about the possible critical content within I feel could be seen as underhand and more overtly critical by seeming to try to hide it. That's my initial feeling anyway. It would be very interesting to get the perspective of not only the people that participate in the fanfic discussions but people that write fanfics, as well as other members who would or wouldn't participate in such discussions. I think the impression it gives could be quite off-putting, but that could be just my pov.

Comment

I can see your point of not wanting to hide a discussion. However, I can only say that I don't feel comfortable expressing my opinion in those discussions as long as anyone can accidentally stumble across it via a google search of their own fics and I admit I haven't felt comfortable with it for a long time now.

I think that there is a difference should a writer deliberately choose to register on this forum and check if there is a discussion about one of their fics, especially if there is an additional warning in that discussion thread too.

I also am afraid that if a writer googles his own fic and thus stumbles across our discussion because it shows up on google and then clicks on this discussion it is actually too late for any warnings to fulfill their purpose anymore.

I have checked the settings for the group posts and there are three options for viewing group posts. It's a) everyone, b) only registered members and c) only group members. If you pick the second or third option the posts should not show up during any google searches by people who are not registered members. At least that's what I think. The settings for posting can be set separately from the settings for viewing and the options are a) all registered users and b) group members only.

If it is possible to choose these settings for the groups it might also be possible to do the same for subforums. If not we should decide if we settle for a private group as the new place for our discussions.

I agree that fewer new people are likely to join our discussions if no one even knows these discussions are taking place. We are somehow trapped between a rock and a hard place and we just have to decide to live with either the rock or the hard place. At least I can't see any third option at the moment.

flow
              Last edited by flow; 10-10-20, 10:17 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

I suppose the lists of what stories are going to be discussed, which are being suggested for the discussion group read, could happen in a thread on the main fanfic section of the board, if participation in the discussions then had to go into a private group it would still be flagging the discussion to possible participants/other members. I'm not sure. I'm just really wary of creating hidden areas, we'll see what others think. But I will also look into the privacy of sections/subsections on the main board too when I'm going through the settings looking for the answers to other queries we've got.

Comment

I would be fine with having a non-public part of the forum for fanfic discussion. Personally I haven't censored what I've said in the fanfic discussions so far, but like flow I don't like the idea of our discussions hurting the authors' feelings, and possibly even putting them off from writing. I think Stoney's suggestion of clearly announcing which fics will be discussed when would be a good way of still getting people interested to join. I am not in favour of SpuffyGlitz's suggestion of having two discussion spaces, a public one and a non-public one, because I think that would suggest that the non-public one has the specific purpose of saying negative things that we don't like the authors to see.

Comment

I'm totally fine with discussions remaining as they are. Double Dutchess I was responding to the question raised on how to incorporate a non public mode of discussion if that's something authors prefer, it wasn't something I was pitching because I would like it myself, just to clarify. If authors are fine with the way it is, I think we should stick with public discussions as they are. I actually like being able to discuss fics in public mode (and I've never censored myself either). I got the impression that it was an issue with authors, which is why I suggested two spaces. Flagging up parallel discussions means anyone can join either at any point (public or private) I didn't think the nature of the discussion itself would change, just that it would be respectful of authors' wishes. But I see your point that it could come across as something underhand or negative, which would be misleading and probably do more harm than good. I got the impression that some authors don't like their work discussed publicly (I was specifically thinking of an incident when I was fairly new - I opened a thread about an author's works I was excited about, and that same day the author closed their EF account and removed their fics.) It was either really bad timing or purely coincidental, but I remember agonising over it, whether it was connected to the thread on this forum. This jogged my memory of that. But I'm totally fine with discussions staying as they are if that's better for authors. flow, did anything come up recently about it being an issue with authors?

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, SpuffyGlitz! I thought what you meant was to have two places (one public and one non-public) where the same fic could be discussed in parallel. I thought a logical outcome of such a division would be that the public discussion would be reserved for positive comments only, while all the negative comments would go non-public. But now I understand that what you mean is that we would use the non-public discussion if the author doesn't want their fic to be discussed in public, and the public discussion otherwise. That sounds good in theory, but in practice the problem is that it would require us to know the wishes of specific authors, and I don't think that's going to be possible.

Comment

Yes, agreed - also, signing up each time would probably get a bit exhausting. Maybe there's a policy on EF which has a guideline on fanfic discussions held in forums? Or just a general message pinned to every thread, inviting authors' to express their wishes.

Comment

Just a quick post to say I just tried to access the group pages from another browser that I wasn't logged in on and it just told me I wasn't authorised to view the page and even when I pasted the URL for one of the specific Spuffy group discussions into the navigation bar it said I wasn't authorised, so it doesn't appear that non-site members can access the groups to view them.

Comment

Reaching out to each author is probably difficult to do. there are authors who have completely dropped out of fandom but might still google their own fic or get notified by others. there are authors who are still in fandom but only check their pm on EF or livejournal once every six months. Then there are authors who are only on ao3 or ff.net and there is (as far as I know) no way to contact them privately via those sites.

@SpuffyGlitz: I have seen it being mentioned in more than one discussion recently and long ago that writers can get hurt by comments on their fics that are not anything but positive. I remember the incident you mentioned and I do believe it was purely coincidentally (it happened almost simultaneously) but it gave me quite a shock back then and I wouldn't want to feel the same way ever again.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

I understand that negative opinions about their fics can hurt authors, and I would be happy to reduce the risk of exposing them to negativity as much as we can, but I do think having a fic discussion on a forum (where both positive and negative opinions can be expressed) is not at all the same as leaving negative comments on a fic. And I think people are mostly referring to the latter in those discussions you mention, flow.

When leaving negative comments on a fic, people choose to directly engage with the author in a negative way and the authors can't avoid those comments. In a fic discussion the author is not directly addressed and the principle "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" does not apply. Of course the author might still come across negative comments in a discussion by accident (which can still hurt them, but at least it's not done on purpose and they should know that) or by actively seeking out the discussion, in which case they consciously take the risk of exposing themselves to possible negativity.

Comment

I just found out by chance that Sosa Lola has orphaned all her stories on Elysian Fields. If you are looking for them you can still find them under Orphan Account. It's a special account created by the mods of EF to host stories whose writers do not want to publish under their name anymore but don't want to pull from the internet either.

It made me feel very sad that she seems to have left fandom.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                                  Double Dutchess commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I'm very sorry to hear that.

• SpuffyGlitz
                                  SpuffyGlitz commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Me too. I miss her presence.

• GoSpuffy
                                  GoSpuffy commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Very bad news indeed

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                                Just a quick post to say I just tried to access the group pages from another browser that I wasn't logged in on and it just told me I wasn't authorised to view the page and even when I pasted the URL for one of the specific Spuffy group discussions into the navigation bar it said I wasn't authorised, so it doesn't appear that non-site members can access the groups to view them.
                                I've just gone incognito and tried it. I thought it would have the same effect as above (no?) but it let me in. What it also did was change my skin and it was much nicer so now I have to find out which it is.

Yup...just checked the incognito page and it says I'm not logged in/signed up but it's let me in.

Sigh...no ignore all of the above - it seems to be secure enough.
                                Last edited by TriBel; 18-09-20, 07:14 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Did you manage to get into the group area without being logged in then?

• TriBel
                                  TriBel commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Stoney No...I stupidly pasted the address for this page initially, not realising it wasn't a group page. The group page is fine.

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  TriBel, fab thank you.

I want to recommend two recent, short and beautiful Spuffy fanfics. They are both on Elysian Fields and they have both been published for the site's Trapped Challenge.

The first one is 95816 by Cosmic Tuesday. It is set post-series and Buffy and Spike realize how much their life will change when Buffy will gibe birth to their first child in about three months.
                                https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6589

The second one is Captive by Twinkles and provides just one short missing scene from Pangs. Have you ever noticed Spike is completely arrow-free when he is sitting at the dining table at the end of Pangs? Can you guess who pulled the arrows out?
                                https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6586

flow
                                Last edited by flow; 10-10-20, 10:36 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Really like the sound of the Pangs one, thanks for the rec.

• debbicles
                                  debbicles commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Ugh, baby fic. Sorry but not for me! The others sound promising.

• GoSpuffy
                                  GoSpuffy commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Baby fics are my guilty pleasure
                              Working...
                              X