X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Point by Gillo - ficlet slice of life, very nicely written

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=5045

Comment

What are the best post NFA stories that don't deal too much with the comics. I've been on a Spuffy binge and that is my sweet spot.
      Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
        GoSpuffy commented
        Editing a comment
        Tell me your suggestions! I love these too!!

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
      What are the best post NFA stories that don't deal too much with the comics. I've been on a Spuffy binge and that is my sweet spot.
      I would recommend
      Distance by Herself, where Buffy goes to help Spike after the LA apocalypse
      My Life Closed Twice by anaross
      Spike's Girl by Herself
      Stay by anaross
      Sunsets by Abby
      The Feelings of Being in Motion Again by bayloriffic
      Hills of Iowa by Moonmoth

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
        200 More MilesOf Postcardblues by callherblondie on LJ
        A Better Man by sunalso on EF
        A Terrible Thing by Herself on EF
        Closer by TheHousekeeper on EF
        Colors by anaross on AO3
        Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by cousinjean on EF
        Encapsulatedby BillieLiar on EF
        Nevertime by anaross on EF

One Night in London by Stephwin on EF
        Paper Thin Line by Priceless on AO3
        Poetic License by cousinjean on EF
        The Sharing Game by stuffandnonsense on AO3

I only recced fics Pricey hasn't already recced. Otherwise My Life Closed Twice and Stay would be in my list too.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Thank you! I can load my kindle. Having another disc fusion Tuesday which will leave me with seven fused discs. Fan fiction keeps me sane.
          Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Good luck for Tuesday bespangled. I'm going to add a story I keep meaning to reread so it's a tentative rec but one I'll be disappointed if I don't enjoy it as much as I did the first time, Distress Signals by peaceheather. Also Clocks of the Long Now by lostboy I have some issues with characterisation in but it is really well written and a good read.

Comment

I have recommended all of coaltiongirl's comic fics earlier on this rec but I want to throw in another rec for one of her stories especially. It is - I think - her longest comic fic and it's called Embers. It is set in season 9 with Buffy dealing with the aftermath of Twilight, the disappearance of magic, Giles' death, the wrath of the former slayers and some additional stuff. Oh, and residual feelings for Spike that come surfacing but Spike and Buffy are just friends nowadays, aren't they? This is so very well written and has got such a season nine vibe but with a plot of its own and some - many scenes - we didn't see in the comics but should have. If you like the comics you should totally read Embers.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...201&view=all#6

flow
              Last edited by flow; 29-03-20, 01:58 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                It's been a long time since I read this but I remember thinking it was good too.

• Double Dutchess
                Double Dutchess commented
                Editing a comment
                All coalitiongirl's stories are good!

Another Spuffy comic fic recommendation. This one is unusual as it also hints at Xander/Buffy and it does not really have a HEA Spuffy ending. But it's not a devastating ending either. It's more or less left to the reader's imagination. The story is set in early season 8 and it has got a different take on who is behind Twilight although this is not in the least the main focus of the story. The main focus of the story is Buffy and Spike meeting for the first time after Chosen. It's really well done and also Willow and Xander are both excellently written.
              The story is called Back to Black and it has been written by our very own KoC. You can find the story in the archive here on buffyforums. I am not sure if it has been published anywhere else but I don't think it has.

https://www.buffyforums.net/forum/...k-pg-13?t=1825

flow
              Last edited by flow; 09-06-20, 07:10 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                SpuffyGlitz commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I've read this at some point browsing through the forum! I loved it, especially that enigmatic ending...I thought it was an amazing "post-Chosen" meet

Strawberry Shortcake by Miss Luci is very short and sweet. It was written after we joked on the EF Facebook group about the scene in the French Restaurant in First Dates. Buffy tries Robin's dessert and says "This is the best thing I've ever had in my mouth." The next shot is on Spike who stands at the table and looks very sad. He probably has made a dessert for Buffy once and now he thinks she hadn't liked it ...

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

flow
              Last edited by flow; 09-06-20, 07:10 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

(Zeus and Hera's 'Epic Snark Battles' presents...) "The Great Face-Off" by Touchstoneaf - Spuffy are pawns of the Greek Gods.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6427

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                  Okay, so it seems to not be that angsty. I will definitely give it a try then.

For now, I have started Midway of Speech and Thought by TheHouskeeper on Elysian Fields. It's a post Chosen story and I really like the authors writing style. I can't say much more for now because I have only read the first chapter so far.

flow
                  I've started this and am on chapter 3. I'm really enjoying it and would recommend it. Did you ever finish if flow?

Comment

• flow
                    flow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I have finished it and I think it is an amazing story and it's also full of poetry which is another plus.

Big Bad Boyfriend by bewildered on EF. Just a fun fic, with no bashing at all. Really great read, I'd highly recommend.

Comment

I have just read the wonderful post-season 12 comic fic The Mired Path by our very own Priceless and I highly recommend it

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24...pters/58634071

flow
                    Last edited by flow; 09-06-20, 07:11 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                      GoSpuffy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Priceless can you send me the story as a word doc?

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank's flow *blushes with embarrassment and runs and hides

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've emailed it to you GoSpuffy

I am sure I am late to this party and you've all read it before, but My Elizabeth by Puddinhead is really good. Can be found on EF. If you've not read My William, I'd recommend that one too.

Comment

• flow
                      flow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My Elizabeth has the most Jossian plot twist I have ever come across in a Spuffy fanfic. Amazingly devastating.

Just one short but very sweet missing scene from the comics. Buffy and Spike are preparing breakfast the first morning after they moved in together. It's Non-Standard Usage by thewiggings (and if you haven't read her "A Place Beyond The Rains yet you should immediately catch up on it too).

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=6357

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                      GoSpuffy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was adorable, I loved it.

Did anyone read DUST by KnifeEdge? I know it's a WIP and it's not been updated for years. Does it end on a cliffhanger? I recently finished West of the Moon, East of the Sun and want to read more of her fics. I usually don't start reading until they are finished, but if the story has some kind of satisfying ending, I'm willing to start it.

Comment

As I remember, and it is about ten years since I read DUST, it stops after a stage in their relationship occurs but very much still mid-story. I've seen the author reference intending to work on it still at different points over the years but seemingly frustrated by the repeated presses to complete it so I assume that some wall on it was hit that hasn't been broken past. Who knows if it will ever be finished. I'm not sure how satisfactory a read it is up to where it stops. It is one I've always had at the back of my mind to keep a look out for which kind of suggests to me it didn't feel a satisfactory point to stop when I was reading it. I read it early enough in finding out about fanfic I didn't even realise to check if stories were complete.

Comment

• redtent
                        redtent commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll start it when I am finished with everything I'm reading now. I do hope it'll get finished one day.

I haven't read it because it is a WIP and as long as I still have about 60 complete Spuffy fics on my to-read-list I stay away from WIP`s.

However, KnifeEdge has very recently said that she still intends to finish Dust.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As I say, I've been reading her saying that for a long time. It doesn't mean she won't of course, but it is at least uncertain.

Another recommendation:

The Five Stages of Grief by Baphrosia on EF

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=4193

It's rather short with about 7k words and it's a Spuffy fic completely without Buffy. Spike gets send back to Victorian London into the body of William and isn't sure if and how to change events. The premise - Spike gets send back into William's life - has been explored by cousinjean in That I May Cease To be as well but this take is very different. The ending might not be to everybody's likes but I adore it.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I remember that one being very good. I think it was written for Seasonal Spuffy originally.

Dampersandspoons has removed all her stories but one from EF and from any other archive she could still remove it from (I guess it is difficult with archives that are basically inactive).

She has kindly and generously offered to email her stories to anyone who would like to have a copy. You can find her reasons and also her offer on her profile page on EF.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the heads up flow.

• Double Dutchess
                        Editing a comment
                        That's a pity, she's a great author. Fortunately I have a lot of her stories saved.
                    Working...
                    X