Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a time factor for me. I'm still inexperienced enough that it takes me ages to make anything. Every challenge that has gone up I've had an idea for, but then not found the time to do it. If I tried to work on a piece in smaller stages, rather than trying to get larger blocks of time free, I might be able to work in fanarting more again. I do miss doing it.

I have a graphic tablet but have never tried to use it so I wouldn't even know where to start with handdrawn art. Wasn't Josh asking about hand drawing tips and techniques? It might be possible to reach out to some members specifically.

The plan for twitter definitely, and possibly instagram, are still in the mix. So getting those set up when all the restructuring is happening is intended. I'm sure we would need some activity to draw in people and perhaps a challenge that we are 'advertising' elsewhere and through twitter might work. The seasonal spuffy group was going to link the affiliation with us once we were ready after the migration and they run banner competitions every season that gets multiple fanartists entering. If we look again at the site banners when we're considering the welcome page etc then it might be possible to link a challenge to that and draw people in. I don't know where else we could try to link challenges to draw people to us, but there must still be plenty of fanart going on somewhere.

Comment

• It's a time factor for me too. I always try to participate in Seasonal Spuffy and some of the other seasonal events/prompt communities on LJ, but that's already stretching my limits. And I would *love* to try my hand at hand-drawn digital art, but yeah, that's probably not going to happen. On the positive side, I have loads of icons I could share in the thread Nina just started.
      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        I love your Giles icons DD.

• Double Dutchess
        Double Dutchess commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Stoney ! I was actually planning to start with those!

• I created an Instagram account for the forum.

This Instagram account is to promote all the forum, even the discussion side, and fan art. I have a couple of ideas on how to promote.

Pick out specific discussions, but not too negative ones remember we need to make this forum feel welcoming and friendly.

Create a post then select multiple with an edited image that connects to the discussion, and then for the second slide would be the print screened of the forum.

I'm just going to roll with this, and then see what happens.

No harm on trying.

Now we need a Twitter account, but I don't even know how to use it.

Comment

• Brendan
        Brendan commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a great idea. Nina But first, I just need to complete the profile by adding an icon and a welcome post.

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        Take your time, no need to hurry. =) I was just wondering what would be a good way of helping those who do the social media stuff.

• American Aurora
        American Aurora commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic! Very exciting development! Love all your gaming screenshots and art work, so this should be marvelous!

• Wow buffylover , I wouldn't even know where to start with Instagram. Thank you for looking at this. PuckRobin has also talked about looking at a Twitter account for us, so no need to worry about not knowing how that one works. I think having a social media side is definitely a positive and is becoming increasingly important to consider. Creating a promotion thread to discuss ideas and what we'd use for content is probably a good idea, I'll do that. My only concern is that with all the restructuring about to happen it might get a bit chaotic briefly here and promoting after we've got some of it underway may work better (so people can see what we're going to be like). Although I suppose if we drew in new people they could have a voice in what is happening, I'm not sure. A thread about it all could also help in that I don't really understand what Instagram does. I have no idea what you mean by slides.

EDIT: - I've started the thread here. I think the question of how to support and help those doing the social media side is really important.

Comment

• I took the risk of opening my own shop Etsy where I sell my original art prints.

I think I just lost £50 because I got a feeling it's going to flop hard. Oh well.

Comment

• Brendan
          Brendan commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW, thank you so much for your support SpuffyGlitz it truly means a lot to me!

• American Aurora
          American Aurora commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that's a fantastic idea! Your art work is really sensational and I bet it'll just take a bit of time before it starts to pay off!

• Brendan
          Brendan commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you thank you thank you so much American Aurora your support means everything! Yes patience’s is key.

• Hey all, I was an active member on this forum many, many years ago and I learnt most of my photoshop skills here. I haven't made much fanart for several years, but this year I started getting into photo manipulations and digital art again in a big way. I've done loads of you tube tutorials and tried my hand at things I never would have thought possible when I first posted my art on here. I've been looking for a community such as this one that is supportive and generates feedback to newbies as well as more experienced artists. I didn't find it and that was so sad for me. When looking at Jenni Lou's gallery today I thought I'd try to see if this forum was still active.

How wonderful that it still is even if it is not as active as it once was

I wanted to just say to anyone on here that if you're learning and don't think your art is good enough to post, try it! My first art pieces were truly truly terrible but I took the leap and it's a decision that I treasure every day. The challenges were inspiring, the feedback was invaluable and seeing more experienced artists made me want to be better and learn more.

I would love to be as active as I was back then but I really only have time to make art at the weekends now. Still I want to be part of the community again, does anyone mind if I post some of my newer art even if it's not fanart? I don't want to break any rules.

Anyway ramble over, hi to anyone that remembers me (I'd be surprised if they did ). I have reset my password, bookmarked the site again and hope to be here again soon with some art.
        sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi and welcome back. Which yt tutorials would you recommend for a novice? I'm looking forward to seeing your art.

• SpuffyGlitz
          SpuffyGlitz commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm scared of Photoshop, it seems complex and overwhelming, but I've been considering investing in it, so your recs are really helpful! And welcome back! I joined this forum in 2018 and it's wonderful

• Hi Priceless,

How much of a beginner are you? Do you have some basic knowledge on things like layers, masks, cutting out etc or do you want to start really really at the beginning? Also, what software are you using? The youtubers I watch are a bit more advanced than that. That's not to say they don't have amazing content for beginners, but it could be a bit overwhelming if you're early in your digital art journey. Also, all of the youtubers I watch use Photoshop, so I can't recommend ones that use Procreate or any of the other software out there.

Here's the ones that I watch:-

PiXimperfect
        One of the best names out there. He has a really extensive collection of videos. That makes it hard to find beginner stuff but look out for his "Basics of Photoshop: Fundamentals for Beginners" playlist

Nemanja Sekulic
        Again, lots of videos. He's great though because he talks about his thought process as well as the techniques. He does have beginner tutorials, but you'll have to look through his huge "Master Photoshop Skills" playlist to find them

Photoshop Training Channel
        This one has lots of great tips and tricks, but I would say that there's not really one place where he has all his beginner stuff

RafyA, Phase Runner
        These youtubers have videos that are not narrated, just showing what they're doing. I tend to watch these for inspiration rather than actual learning, as it's difficult to see a lot of the time what they're doing. Also, some of it is crazy advanced.

I haven't watched it but there is an EnvatoTuts Photoshop for beginners course, that seems to have some good comments. It is 3 hours long though!

If none of them float your boat, then if you haven't already look through the tutorials on here. There are some still listed that I used when I was starting.
        sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for your reply. Your recs are really helpful

• Double Dutchess
          Double Dutchess commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, very useful links!

• Hey ciderdrinker ! It's great to see you back! I do remember doing a couple of your challenges when I was first learning to fanart around 2014ish. Not that I've progressed much as I don't art very much at all these days, but I would like to get back to doing some more. There have been odd challenges Nina has posted in the last year and I've had ideas for all of them but not put the time aside to make them yet.

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
        I wanted to just say to anyone on here that if you're learning and don't think your art is good enough to post, try it! My first art pieces were truly truly terrible but I took the leap and it's a decision that I treasure every day. The challenges were inspiring, the feedback was invaluable and seeing more experienced artists made me want to be better and learn more.
        The challenges and support from everyone here when I first started really did help me massively in learning too. It would be great to see some more activity in the fanart again. I've been very distracted with making amends around the site in the last year as we've upgraded, migrated and done some restructuring. There's still a little to do, but I'm hopeful in the next six months I'll be able to get back to thinking about putting some time aside for arting again.

Still I want to be part of the community again, does anyone mind if I post some of my newer art even if it's not fanart? I don't want to break any rules.
        What kind of art pieces are you looking to post?

Anyway ramble over, hi to anyone that remembers me (I'd be surprised if they did ). I have reset my password, bookmarked the site again and hope to be here again soon with some art.
        I changed the size of the icons recently so those that were already loaded were 'stretched' which has reduced the quality. If you are able to reload your avatar it should stop the fuzzy appearance.

Any other questions about the board changes/set up then please don't hesitate to ask, I'm around every day.

It's great to see you back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          What kind of art pieces are you looking to post?
          This kind of thing https://www.instagram.com/lazy_cow_digital_art/

Mostly portraits....
          sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, some beautiful pieces

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Love the new avatar.

• SpuffyGlitz
            SpuffyGlitz commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey! those are beautiful portraits

• Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
          This kind of thing https://www.instagram.com/lazy_cow_digital_art/

Mostly portraits....
          They're beautiful pieces.

Things are generally more casual in the fanart threads at the moment. As it is quieter, there has been some relaxing of some of the previous rules. Individual members weren't allowed their own threads before, but as there aren't many active artists I don't think it would be a problem if you wanted to create a thread for your own 'other' art pieces. I think it would be okay to do so in the general fanart section, unless Nina feels it is problematic or would need to go elsewhere.

Comment

• I remember you ciderdrinker I used to be called buffylover.

And welcome back to the forum and I can't wait to see your art.

Comment

Working...
            X