Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 84: Orange (Because Green is not a creative colour.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge 84: Orange (Because Green is not a creative colour.)

This weekend I saw this video by Sinix and I thought it was a great idea for a challenge. The idea is that we simply label too many colour hues as 'green'. So when we talk about green, we can talk about that odd yellowish green like this smiley ---> , a very bright green like this one --> , a saturated one like --> or a more blueish green like --> & . It's all green.

Compare that to the colour orange. There isn't much you can do to orange before it stops being orange. Making it darker or saturate it and it will be brown. Make it a bit more red and it will be called red. Same with adding yellow to orange, it doesn't take a lot of yellow to make orange a warm yellow instead of orange.

Which pretty much means that if you have to use orange, you are much more limited than when you are told to make something green. Or worded differently; using orange will require more creativity. So let's make something (with a lot of) orange. It doesn't matter if it's a drawing, a wallpaper or another graphic. As long there is a lot of orange.

If you need inspiration: Rembrandt en Turner used a lot of orange in their work.

Originally posted by Nina View Post
    This weekend I saw this video by Sinix and I thought it was a great idea for a challenge. The idea is that we simply label too many colour hues as 'green'. So when we talk about green, we can talk about that odd yellowish green like this smiley ---> , a very bright green like this one --> , a saturated one like --> or a more blueish green like --> & . It's all green.

Compare that to the colour orange. There isn't much you can do to orange before it stops being orange. Making it darker or saturate it and it will be brown. Make it a bit more red and it will be called red. Same with adding yellow to orange, it doesn't take a lot of yellow to make orange a warm yellow instead of orange.

Which pretty much means that if you have to use orange, you are much more limited than when you are told to make something green. Or worded differently; using orange will require more creativity. So let's make something (with a lot of) orange. It doesn't matter if it's a drawing, a wallpaper or another graphic. As long there is a lot of orange.

If you need inspiration: Rembrandt en Turner used a lot of orange in their work.
    This sounds really fun! I wish I could draw. But now you’ve gotten me thinking about all the still lifes of actual oranges by Cezanne and Renoir.

Seriously, I can’t imagine any of the French Impressionists without the color orange as a dominant motif! Van Gogh was obsessed with the color and mixed orange for hours, if I recall. So it’s fascinating to learn that it’s a more limited color - that makes sense even to an aesthetic dunderhead like me.

Xander wears orange a lot, I think. And Anya.
    Last edited by American Aurora; 08-02-21, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Nina
      Nina commented
      Editing a comment
      Van Gogh also loved the colour in Rembrandt's The Jewish Bride. Which is bordering to orange as well. But I didn't even think about the French Impressionists and their use of orange, good call!

Okay, it was hard to keep it orange, it's still really close to being yellow.

Brushes are by Aaron Griffin (suprise!) and I saw the picture on Pinterest but I closed the tab days ago. I really have to stop doing that.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
      SpuffyGlitz commented
      Editing a comment
      So beautiful!! Wow.

• Nina
      Nina commented
      Editing a comment
      And thanks for the comments Stoney and Spuffyglitz.

• American Aurora
      American Aurora commented
      Editing a comment
      Incredible.
Working...
X