No announcement yet.

Hand-drawn Fanart [2]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite is the one in the middle, the black and white makes it feel so powerful.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

Since it's super quiet here, three more studies. The first is a promo from the movie Crimson Peak, the second a random picture of an old man on Pinterest and the third some branches. Brushes by Aaron Griffin (the first) and DeHarme (the other two).

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        These are great and so different. I love the texture and mood of the branches especially.

• Double Dutchess
        Double Dutchess commented
        Editing a comment
        These are great! My favourite is the old man, so expressive with just a few lines. And is it just me or do your branches have a Mondriaan vibe?

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! I wasn't thinking of Mondriaan (also because 'Mondriaan = Victory Boogie Woogie' in my brain), but it's the thick lines probably. He used those a lot.

Thanks Stoney and I'm also a big fan of the branches. I had to cut out the bottom of that drawing since it didn't look good. But couldn't throw out the part with the branches.

I saw somebody start their painting with creating a first layer with all sorts of colors and odd textured brushes, which gave the end result an unique textured look. But since I have to correct myself over and over, that the layer underneath was covered with many layers of normal boring brush work. So I added odd brushes again on top, and that doesn't really work as well. :') Still not unhappy with the result though. It's Yennefer btw (The Witcher).

(Brushes by Aaron Griffin)

Comment

• flow
        flow commented
        Editing a comment
        That's beautiful.

• Double Dutchess
        Editing a comment
        Wow, just wow.

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you both

Hi everybody, more spamming by me. On Pinterest I found a picture of Ama de Armas in Blade Runner, never saw the movie but I enjoyed the picture.

Resources: Aaron Griffin, Daydreaming and a texture/painting I once downloaded when it was super often used on Tumblr. But I forgot the source. Sorry!

Comment

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Stoney!

• Double Dutchess
        Editing a comment
        Amazing work!

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Thats wonderful, in-fact I'd say that's definitely one of your best so far.

Comment

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        That so nice to hear, thank you!

Here are some more drawings of my favourite male characters on 'RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2'

Arthur Morgan.

Dutch Van Der Linde

John Marston

Comment

• Nina
        Nina commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks wonderful, the colours are stunning! And I love that paint brush.

• Brendan
        Brendan commented
        Editing a comment
        Nina Thanks
        Last edited by Brendan; 13-08-20, 08:41 AM.

I did all these when I was on lockdown.

'Dead Man Walking'

From "RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2"

And some Sketches.

Comment

Those are wonderful I particularly love the first one.

Comment

• Brendan
        Brendan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much Silver that means a lot! and yes I was proud of that one I must admit.

A quick sketch of Buffy.

?
      ??????

Comment

Quick sketches trying out a new experimental style. And again its red dead redemption 2.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
          GoSpuffy commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! These are professional in quality. Maybe you should get a job as a comic book artist?

• TriBel
          TriBel commented
          Editing a comment
          I completely agree with Double Dutchess - they reminded me of Tintin. I also agree with GoSpuffy. Can't you send a portfolio to Boom and offer to do the new Buffy comics?

• Brendan
          Brendan commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW! thank you so much GoSpuffy and TriBel those comments mean a lot to me so thank you.

Just some quick sketches of my own REBOOT of Buffy.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
          Editing a comment
          Wow, those are awesome!! Did you do other characters too? I'd love to see what you make of the rest of the Scoobies.

• Brendan
          Brendan commented
          Editing a comment
          Double Dutchess Thank you soo much! for your comment! I'm currently having some ideas of Willow and Spike

A bit lame after the amazing Buffy's by buffylover, but I finally finished something again. So meet random Pinterest girl....

I've only used the hard round brush (and a brush to smudge here and there).

Comment

• Nina
          Nina commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks both!

• Double Dutchess
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful, it could be a detail of a classic painting.

• GoSpuffy
          GoSpuffy commented
          Editing a comment
          I liked your pic and I think I accidentally canceled out 6 other likes

So this may not be the right thread but I'm thinking of getting into digital drawing. I bought a very good friend of mine, who is an artist, a professional graphics tablet but he had no use for it since he doesn't like digital art. He gave it back (all in good spirit) and thought I would have much more use with it. Since I am not very good with drawing, I thought you guys could help find tutorials to help me get back into it. I used to sketch a good while back and had gotten semi good at it, but any skill I had seems to be gone now. I think I do need basic tutorials for drawing and sketching in general but maybe there's a good middle for the digital drawing part. Any help?

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          So this may not be the right thread but I'm thinking of getting into digital drawing. I bought a very good friend of mine, who is an artist, a professional graphics tablet but he had no use for it since he doesn't like digital art. He gave it back (all in good spirit) and thought I would have much more use with it. Since I am not very good with drawing, I thought you guys could help find tutorials to help me get back into it. I used to sketch a good while back and had gotten semi good at it, but any skill I had seems to be gone now. I think I do need basic tutorials for drawing and sketching in general but maybe there's a good middle for the digital drawing part. Any help?
          I've been messing around with digital art for two years now and still I can't draw or sketch properly, but I've watched a lot of tutorials and I did manage to go from always using a raster to using the photoshop rulers to not needing either when I make a study of a photo reference. So there is some improvement.

A few (digital) artists with a YT or Twitch channel:

Sinix Design
          Ahmed Aldoori
          Marco Bucci
          Proko
          Aaron Griffin
          AliceXZ

Some of them make a lot of tuts, others just show us their process. Aaron Griffin has my favourite free package of brushes as well. I did download so many sets, but this one is the best IMO. It has all you need. (Brush no. 33 is my favourite for the mixer brush tool.)

Also the old books by Andrew Loomis can be found on the internet. Like this one about the whole figure or this one about the head and hands.

And a few things I learned:
          • Don't focus on everything at the same time when you're learning. If you make a study and want to focus on the anatomy or likeness, it's okay to borrow a colour palette using the colour picker, use a normal round brush etc. Or when you want to learn more about colour or brushwork, feel free to use a raster (or trace) to set up the sketch.
          • Using a raster, a ruler or even tracing isn't evil anyway. Although tracing does require that you mention that when you post your study.
          • A basic round brush is the best brush when you're learning. Wonderful things can be done with different brushes, but the round brush is perfectly fine and much easier to use.
          • Find a nice brush for the mixer brush tool (like I said, I use no. 33 by Aaron Griffin), it's a tool I've never used before when I made wallpapers. But it's great when you make digital paintings/drawings.
          • The cool thing about digital art is that you can use traditional styles while also enjoying the perks of photoshop. In the beginning I felt like I was cheating when I used photoshop tools to create shapes or tweak colours. But after watching many videos by others, I learned that most digital artists do it.

I hope this helped a little bit and I'm looking forward to see your art.

Comment

• Josh
            Josh commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG, Nina! You are amazing. Thank you so much!!!

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay! And good luck trying things out.

Okay, another study. I've tried two things. The first is that I made no line art and the second was that I took a more traditional approach.

Reference picture is a still from The Miniaturist which I found on the Anya Taylor-Joy fansite. Brushes are by G Rutkowski.

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            I can see it's perhaps a bit too heavily blue in her right eye. But the pick up of the eye colour to the background and against the grey/blue in the white of the dress is great. It really travels your eye around and is fab against the orange/mood.

• flow
            flow commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that's amazing. I really love it.

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you flow.

Continuing with my Buffy reboot with quick sketches.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
            Editing a comment
            Oh, right! That makes sense from a gaming perspective. It's like those health packs that used to lie around in Doom. (I know , I'm old ;-) ETA: though I see Buffy is wearing a Doom t-shirt, so that still makes me feel a bit cool ;-)
            Last edited by Double Dutchess; 25-12-20, 10:45 AM.

• American Aurora
            American Aurora commented
            Editing a comment
            You need to design the new Buffy game, Buffylover. Or the next comics. Truly fantastic re-imagining of a classic character. I love the "It's cool, whatever" vibe going on there.

• Brendan
            Brendan commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW! thank you so much American Aurora for your comment! Yes! my main idea was a video game reboot. I'm happy that you capture my mood perfectly the "It's cool, whatever" vibe.

I've been at war with this one for a few days now. So I'll just dump it here and move on. At least it's recognizable as Cordy.

Original one:

edit:
          Okay, now the hair annoyed me as well. So I changed it a little bit. And when I wanted to post the newer one underneath the original. But that one went all Gandalf on me and didn't let me post something underneath it. So I'll have to do it like this. (Whyyyyyyy is this forum set on changing URLs in images that can't be adjusted properly? It's super annoying.)

[Stoney: Nina I've swapped them around for you. If you click on an inserted picture and it gets a blue border you can just cut and paste it like text, repositioning it wherever you want to in the post you are editing. Just to note here too: right clicking an embedded image gives the option to copy the image address or quoting a post accesses the underlying coding. Also, if you click the button on the far left that looks like a sheet of paper with <> on it, it'll return to the text/coding view for you. ]

Slightly newer one:

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that newer version that breaks the top hard line works better Nina . It really is a beautiful piece.

• Brendan
            Brendan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nina I would like to update this on Tumblr, can I?

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah sure.

@Stoney, well, you asked for it! lol. This makes me cringe a little in a thread with such gorgeous art posted.

I couldn't find pics of my old Buffyverse paintings (though I know they're somewhere.) But I found photos of the Dawn canvas just before it was sold. The effect of light is a distortion here. I was just beginning to figure out oil painting. This doesn't look like Dawn really, but it was meant to be symbolic. I think I called it "Dawn against the Rising Dark" and it was around the time S7 was airing.

I had a bunch of ones of Buffy, and some with Spike... but I can't find those photos. ​I eventually got better but was just feeling out the medium here. Charcoal sketches were much easier to attempt. I think all my fandom related stuff must've been cleared each time we moved house.

Comment

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            Those colours! Both are really great SpuffyGlitz.

• SpuffyGlitz
            SpuffyGlitz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks so much Nina!  Sorry I didn't see your comment before

• redtent
            redtent commented
            Editing a comment
            This is great! Eventually got better? I couldn't paint like this in a million years

Quick sketches of Eivor from Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

Comment

• Brendan
            Brendan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much, Nina for your comment! I do try my best to get the likeness of my reference, but for me, these are more laid back experimental pieces.

• Brendan
            Brendan commented
            Editing a comment
            Where I can be quick and be more abstract, and for me, the likeness of Eivor is not 100% right.

• Nina
            Nina commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's super impressive.

• Continuing with my Reboot Buffy.

SLAIN Octopus.

Big Heads.

FLYING Piranha DEMONS REALLY?

Rolling.

Last edited by Brendan; 23-03-21, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
            Editing a comment
            Awesome as usual! I love the flying piranhas And is Buffy now into collecting demon heads as trophies?

• American Aurora
            American Aurora commented
            Editing a comment
            I want your comic! Now! These are just beautiful. So much character in so few lines.

• Brendan
            Brendan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much Double Dutchess for your comment! Yes, it's both trophies and bounties And thank you so much American Aurora for your comment! too it means a lot!
        Working...
        X