Season Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Two

I just bought myself S2 as gift, an Easter gift and as soon as I?m done with S3 of Buffy, I?m gonna start my viewing of the Winchester boys. I?m actually planning to watch the whole season, then watch S1 and S2 again.
    I?m also writing my thoughts on the episodes as I go along. But for now, what can you tell about it? What can I expect?

Give me your opinions.....

Have you already seen Season One? If so, then awesome, that's a nifty easter gift, and you can expect one of the best seasons of television, with a lot of thrills, drama, angst, action, emotion and overall, awesome.

But, don't spoil yourself if you haven't seen season 1, watch that first, it builds up to everything in season 2, and you don't want to miss it. Season one is a classic in itself. If you have seen it, don't spoil yourself by finding too much out about what happens in season 2 or the later seasons! Avoid those new threads!

Enjoy your easter treat of Winchesters!
    "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. Because, if there's no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world." Angel

Comment

Oooh, if you haven't seen S1 first, I really recommend you watch it first. S2 starts off answering the emotional S1 cliffhanger. But the entire season 2 is an emotional ride peppered with lots of laughs and lore on ghosts and monsters. You are sure to enjoy it!

S1 is a slow delicious ride introducing us to the boys, their family, and the world as they begin to understand it. S1 remains my favorite.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen
        S1 is a slow delicious ride introducing us to the boys, their family, and the world as they begin to understand it. S1 remains my favorite.
        Mine too!

galathea, you really hit the nail on the head for what's great about season 2, (though personally I liked playthings, it felt like a stephen king type horror movie that you see on tv or something, i loved the atmosphere)

but for me, the main reason I just absolutely love season one, apart from the nostalgic factor and all that, is the Family Winchester. I love how season 2 have the brothers become really close after the initial fallout, but what makes season 1 my treasure is the conflict of their relationship concerning their father, Sam butting heads and most especially, Dean trying and wanting his family "to be a family again", wanting Sam with him, them rebuilding their relationship with eachother as they search for their father, and Dean trying to get Sam and John to come together as a family.

Why this resonates with me so much is because my family is the same way, and i'm in Dean's place with my brothers and my dad... but i'm not the brother and son that Dean is. but, fiction though it is, it makes me not give up on my family.

of course i'm hoping for a happier ending than the Winchesters with their dad
        Last edited by dekker; 14-04-09, 07:11 AM.
        "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. Because, if there's no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world." Angel

Comment

So, I'll play the oddball here and say that S2 is and probably always will be my favourite Supernatural season. It's the pay-off to the S1 development between the brothers and the season where they are closest to each other. The bond that Sam and Dean re-established in S1 is put to the test by the events in S2 and proves to be strong. The angst-meter stepped up a notch from S1 and the mytharc really starts to kick in. Plus, the tragic finale is the starting point for everything that happens in S3 & S4.

There are only 2-3 episodes in S2 that I find sub-par (Hollywood Babylon, Tall Tales, Playthings) and there are a lot of episodes that rank amongst the best of the show for me (What Is and What Should Never Be, In My Time Of Dying, Born Under A Bad Sign, Nightshifter etc). The seasons also has the introduction of some of my favourite recurring characters, like Gordon and Victor Henriksen, not to mention the expanded role Bobby plays in the boys' life.

So, yeah, while S1 is dear to my heart and made me fall in love with the show and the boys in the first place, S2 is where I am the most emotionally invested in.

Comment

dekker, I?ve already seen S1. Amazing season and I was pleasantly surprised. It hooked me right away and made me fall in love with the boys and their story.

Now, on S2: I?ve already started with the first four episodes and wow!

In My Time of Dying - Amazing opener. This episode is funny, a little creepy and emotional. I knew what John was gonna do but still I got emotional. Also, the subplot with Dean and the Reaper is really well done and everyone does an amazing job. Really emotional! And I liked how they started where S1 left off.

Everybody Loves a Clown - Creepy! A clown who kills. This was a good episode that introduced us to Jo, Ellen and Ash who seem interesting characters and also we see how the brothers are dealing with it. Sam is guilty for always fighting with him and Dean is guilty because he is alive and John isn?t. That last scene of him smashing the car is amazing.

Bloodlust - The vampire plot is average, although I liked seeing Amber Benson. But I loved meeting Gordon, he seems so cold and kind of soulless. But it was fun bringing out the whole black and white issue and shades of grey in what they do.

Children should not Play with Dead Things - Another great one. Although I really like the missions, the bond between the brothers is what entices me the most. This plot was also scary but this was about Dean. The way he lost it in front of the professor makes me wonder that he is so messed up with his father dying.

These first four episodes are amazing. I also like how the car only plays old rock or country songs and well, Dean is hot!
            I like Sam, but Dean seems so much more tortured and mysterious.

Comment

hey buffyholic, glad you're enjoying season 2! a good deal of the first few episodes definitely focuses a lot on Dean and how the aftermath ofwhat happens in In My Time of Dying affects him. And it's an intriguing, heartbreaking thing to watch.

Relish the classic rock, unfortunately in later seasons it doesn't come around as much, but most of the songs, while awesome in themselves, usually also are very fitting for when they're played, a lovely little touch.

and lol yes, Dean is Dean. Gotta love him.

(earlier post edited^)

Comment

Simon Said - Good one. The whole episode was a surprise and I had no idea that the evil twin was Webber. But the interaction between them is great.

No Exit - Loved this one! Jo coming along with the boys was great. She?s feisty, and gives Dean some lip. The case itself scared me a great deal but watching the brothers fight him and doing research is always fun to watch. Also, great interaction and great dialogue. I just wonder how Jo is gonna handle the news about his father and John.

I don?t know if it?s the fact that I?m home alone or what, but some episodes just creep me out!

The Usual Suspects - This was great. The story was great and how it was played out along with the flashbacks was very good. And it was also extremely funny, thanks to Dean! Linda Blair as the cop did a good job.

Crossroads Blues - This was another that creeped me out! This was a really good and scary story but really, this episode is all about Dean! Dean was almost closing a deal with the demon and when he talks about his dad, we can see that he is really hurting. He has grief, pain and guilt written all over his face!
                Last edited by Ehlwyen; 17-04-09, 10:08 PM. Reason: Merged double posts

Comment

Originally posted by galathea View Post
                  So, I'll play the oddball here and say that S2 is and probably always will be my favourite Supernatural season. It's the pay-off to the S1 development between the brothers and the season where they are closest to each other. The bond that Sam and Dean re-established in S1 is put to the test by the events in S2 and proves to be strong. The angst-meter stepped up a notch from S1 and the mytharc really starts to kick in. Plus, the tragic finale is the starting point for everything that happens in S3 & S4.

So, yeah, while S1 is dear to my heart and made me fall in love with the show and the boys in the first place, S2 is where I am the most emotionally invested in.
                  I couldn't have said it better! I had my problems with the first half of season 1 and I only started really liking the show towards the end of season 1. However, it was season 2 which made me fall in love with the show head over heels and turned me into an obsessive SN fan. I guess it depends on how season 4 ends whether season 2 will remain my all-time favourite season because the love I have for season 4 comes pretty close to my season 2 love.

Originally posted by buffyholic
                  Crossroads Blues - This was another that creeped me out! This was a really good and scary story but really, this episode is all about Dean! Dean was almost closing a deal with the demon and when he talks about his dad, we can see that he is really hurting. He has grief, pain and guilt written all over his face!
                  I'm glad you enjoyed this one, it's one of my favourite season 2 episodes exactly because of all the Dean angst. My heart is breaking for Dean again and again in this episode. Plus I deeply enjoyed the chemistry between Dean and the Crossroads demon, finding out about the Robert Johnson legend, the realistic and brave attitude of the painter George, the introduction and creepiness of the hellhounds and the ending with Sam asking Dean if Dean ever considered making the deal and Dean not answering. It's such an important and gripping episode and I enjoy it a lot every time I watch it.

Comment

Croatoan - Good ep. I didn?t like the plot very much, it just felt weird. But again, great stuff involving the brothers. Dean is just ready to pop! He is so suicidal lately that something in my gut tells me that this will not end well!

Hunted - Great one and we have Gordon back. I like him, he?s heartless and cold and he enjoys that. That little talk he has with Dean about having to kill Sam and even drawing a parallel to Hitler was interesting. I like Ava, I really do.

Playthings - Creepy! This just feels something out of a Stephen King?s novel! Very well done and again, the brothers steal the show. Dean is ready to pop and Sam is surprisingly more interesting now! Funny how Dean is able to kill someone but not Sam. He showed that in "Croatoan".

I gotta admit that so far, Dean is the more tortured one and more interesting than Sam but Sam is showing off another side of him, a more tortured side.

Nightshifter - Amazing episode! It had a great pace, clever and witty plot and I loved Ronald. "Mandroid" was great. Ben Edlund is quickly becoming my favorite writer.

Houses of the Holy - Another great episode. It was great seeing Dean being all skeptical and then, at the end starting to embrace a little faith! This was an episode that had great dialogue. Dean was skeptical and Sam wanted to believe.

So far, this has been an amazing season, better than S1. It has tighter plots and focuses alot on the brothers, which I love.
                    Last edited by Ehlwyen; 17-04-09, 10:08 PM. Reason: Merged double posts

Comment

Glad you're loving it, and there's way more to come.

About Croatoan, for all the good stuff, yeah a lot of things in there didn't work out too well. First Dean, while yes protecting him and Sam from an obvious threat, just seemed a little too violent, but again maybe that's part of what he's going through. The plot on the other hand didn't really make sense at all, though I loved the situation, (Charles Heston Omega Man indeed lol or even a little Romero Dawn of the Dead in there) the whole demon virus thing and the that demon in the end communicating with the YED, wasn't dealt with enough or too clear about what, really, happened. As Dean says, it was the one that got away because in the end I don't really have an idea of what the demons were up to. (so it was all a test to see if Sam was immune to demon blood??)

As bad as he is, Gordon is a excellent character and a good parallel to the boys. Not all hunters are doing the right thing.

And Hey! So I'm not the only one who got that Stephen King feel from Playthings!!
                      Since you're discussing season 2 here, galathea I understand Tall Tales and Hollywood, but I'm just curious about your view on Playthings? Is your old review still around? Can you pm it to me? I'd ask for you to sum up in brief why you found the episode sub-par (ok well the boys did leave the spirit behind without burning her body, a silly move and not too Winchester-like) but other than that, what did you feel about the episode? If your old review is around I'd love to see it over a summary

Anyhow...yes, glad you loved Nightshifter! Awesome episode indeed like you said, lol at Mandroid and for Ronald. And that ending, the song, the direction, the boys themselves, Perfection.

I'm not sure it was really Faith Dean was embracing in the end of Holy, but it definitely made him think. Faith is believing a higher power is looking out for us, Dean probably felt their just may be some kind of power up there, but, even though the guy was scum, that wouldn't nudge Dean in the path towards, Faith. My thoughts.

Keep watching!

Comment

@ buffyholic : Glad you enjoy S2 so much. It’s really fabulous.

@ dekker : I sent you a PM with a link to my episode reviews on LJ, but I can summarize my problems with Playthings easily. It’s not that I dislike the episode, like Tall Tales or Hollywood Babylon. I think it’s genuinely creepy and I love the location where it takes place and I enjoyed all the parallels to The Shining. My main problem was with the structuring of the episode. The central scene for the development between the brothers was the drunk!Sam scene and there was no proper build-up to it. It was just stuffed in the middle and came out of the blue. It was clunky and the dialogue was a bit heavy handed. Other things that were off for me: I didn’t like the score in Playthings, in places it failed to support the creepy atmosphere and it also was the first time that I thought a slash shout-out (antiquers) fell short and was annoying instead of funny. You know, but overall, if I look at it from a ‘now’ perspective, there are way worse episodes.

While we’re at it, I am not too happy with Croatoan either. While I adore all the loaded and heavily emotional brother scenes in it, the episode as a whole failed to create a believable background for Dean’s actions and that annoyed me greatly. Dean is very trigger-happy here, so in order for the viewer to support the character’s actions, you need to make the threat tangible and the pressure the character is under needs to transport to the viewer. In Croatoan though, we have a classic case of 'show, don’t tell'!

We are constantly told how dangerous the infected people are, but we don’t really see it. Mrs. Tanner is easily incapacitated by Sam and there’s no real sense of danger that arises out of the situation. They are supposedly under a siege, but apart from some shadowy figures that lurk in the dark, there’s no real visual indication for that. The discrepancy in what we see and what we are told has the effect that Dean’s extreme behaviour comes off as overreaction and that doesn’t serve the character. While Dean’s psychological state in the episode is easy to explain, especially knowing the secret that burdens Dean, I wished they handled the plot in the episode better.

Comment

Born Under a Bad Sign - Awesome, awesome and..... awesome! Possessed Sam was great and Jared did a hell of a job. I was really worried for Jo, I really thought that Dean would not get there in time and that Sam would kill Jo. Still, Dean never gave up and the exorcism scene was amazing.

Tall Tales - Hilarious! I literally could not stop laughing when I saw Dean stuffing himself with candies like that. Also, I really liked how the boys told the story from their point of view. I mean, according to Sam, Dean is a bit of a womanizer and slacker and according to Dean, Sam is very uptight, very strict. The Trickster plot was also good.

Roadkill - I liked this one, it even made me cry in the end. Molly?s spirit was haunting the road because she wanted to see her husband one last time and she didn?t know she was dead.

Heart - This surprised me alot. I thought this episode was gonna be average, with the obvious culprit but then, things stepped up a bit when the werewolf doing the killing was Maddy (and she was sweet) but by the end the episode comletely won me over. It went from good to great and then ended in amazing. That ending where Maddy knew that there wasn?t any cure and she had to die, in order not to kill people was heartbreaking. Sam was crying, Dean cried and I cried! Amazing!

Hollywood Babylon - They were trying to make fun of the show a bit but imo, it didn?t work. I found the humor to be off and Dean was just too happy for my taste. It felt flat to me, even the ghost story and at the end, the PA doing the killings. I liked how they were shooting some really crappy horror movie with crappy dialogue. That was fun, the rest was not.

Folsom Prison Blues - Great episode. Dean is just amazing in so many ways and he hides his real feelings really well. It was fun to see how Dean adjusted to the prison the way he did and Sam was being Sam. That prison guard turning out to be Deacon was surprising. I also liked how Mara helped the boys and lied to Henrikksen.

What is and Should never Be - Wonderful episode. Jensen Ackles did a great job and we see just how Dean wanted that life. He wanted a family, but also he realised he missed the hunt also and getting along with Sam. He is torn between two worlds and the last scene was gold: he so wanted the pain to stop, he wanted to live alongside his mother, and brother. Favourite scene: Dean being super thrilled by mowing the lawn.

Only two more to go! S2 has been really powerful. Tighter scripts and the emotion runs really high.

btw, Tortured Sam reminds me a lot of Tortured Angel on BTVS.

All Hell Breaks Loose pt 1 - Really good episode. I?m actually surprised Ava was killing people and summoning demons and Sam did not let himself be fooled. The guy playing Azazel is creepy and the last scene is heartbreaking.

All Hell Breaks Loose pt 2 - Amazing episode but I just feel something was missing. Don?t get me wrong, I loved the ep but as a whole I felt it was a bit messy. The emotion, mainly from Dean was amazing. His speech to Sam warmed my heart, as well as the scene between Bobby and Dean. But the episode lost a bit of steam towards the end and I didn?t get a "Wow" feeling out of it. I don?t know, maybe I need to see it again!

Conclusion: S2 is amazing. Tighter scripts, lot of emotion, a wonderful opening and a great finale with some closure regarding the demon. The boys do a great job and S2 has become my favorite!

Now, I can?t wait for S3!
                          Last edited by Ehlwyen; 23-04-09, 03:51 PM. Reason: Merged double posts

Comment

Working...
                          X