Papa Winchester's Lineage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa Winchester's Lineage

Ok, so this is a question that I've asked myself before, and since reading John Winchester's Journal by Alex Irvine (which isn't a bad read -- Chris made me think of you and your "aftermath" series ) I'm asking myself again. Besides, Dean and Sam, do you think John Winchester fathered any other children? And if so...will we ever see them in the show?

I try to avoid spoilers, so obviously if you know this is going to come to pass on the show please use the spoiler codes. This is all just...discussion.

Anyways, facts leaning toward John fathering other kids is we know that Dean sleeps around...alot. It is either said or implied that Dean is like his father in alot of ways.

Than there's this journal entry:

Spoiler:
    January 24:
    Dean turns fourteen today. He took off to the movies with a girlfriend. I think her name is Katie. Quite the ladykiller, that kid. Like I was at his age. Hell-raising, foul-mouthed, full of piss and vinegar. Silas had it right: he's like me. If I'm not careful with him, by the time he's twenty he'll have left a trail of kids and arrest warrants all over the country.

To me that last line was applying to John, himself as well. There is also evidence in the journal that suggest John sleeping with woman throughout his life on the road.

So, in my opinion, John has some "bastard" children out. It would be interesting to see an episode with Dean and Sam ending up meeting one of them. Perhaps saving one even. Whoever the new kid is they don't have to be a regular or join in the family business really. But it might be interesting to drive a little bit into Papa Winchester's past. Maybe even do a flashback episode involving Jeffery Dean Morgan.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree that John Winchester has more children besides Dean and Sam, and do you think an episode should be explored?

Well, obviously 23 years is a long time to go without the intimacy of a relationship, however fleeting, and I can easily imagine John finding comfort in women along the road, so I guess it is a possibility that he fathered children he didn't know of.

However, when it comes to the show I really would be annoyed at an episode that would feature a honest to good reunion between Sam and Dean and their long lost half-brother, mainly because it's such a terribly cliched soap opera trope. This kind of corny plotting really has no business being in the show in my opinion.

Comment

I agree with galathea it would be incredibly cheesy to have a reunion episode. especcially now when we have the brothers in such a fragile place relationschip wise.

Spoiler:
      That's why I am kinda worried becouse I have heard rumoours of an upcoming episode including some sort of half brother for the Winchesters

But than it's Supernatural the writing is superb so maby they can pull it off without being cheesy.
      Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
      sigpic

Comment

While I agree that right now in the storyline with the brother's own relationship being put to the test it might not be the best of times to explore this theory episode-wise, I wouldn't mind seeing something done eventually, especially if they take a flashback episode involving Jeffery as I mentioned.

I have faith in the writers that it would be done right, and I'm not suggesting an over the top reunion. Best case scenario in my opinion would be the boys in town on a case and one of the persons they have to save be the half-sibling. They don't have to make the connection right away, but eventually they would realize that Daddy was perfect. And the reunion doesn't even have to be a pleasant one...because even I can't imagine that. I just think it would make the boys wonder (which they have before) how much they still don't know about John's past.

When Ellen's character was introduced to the show, Sam asked Dean if he thought John had a relationship with her. In which Dean immediately said no way. Dean has such this high image of his father, where I assume he feels/thinks John had such a love for Mary that he couldn't be with anyone else.

Edit:

Um...okay...I must be on some kind of mind meld...

Spoiler:
        I just saw the previews for next weeks episode that came on after last nights, and while I don't read spoilers I do watch the next week's clips...and what do you know?! A freakin half brother?! This kinda freaks me out being as I swear I didn't see this coming and I just started this thread. I guess I'll get to see how Dean and Sam handle this after all. I'm wondering if there won't be some kind of twist involved somehow tho...there usually is with Supernatural.
        Last edited by [erin nicole]; 03-04-09, 09:26 PM.

Comment

ROFL!!! Erin Nicole!!! You were on the mind meld with this one...
          Spoiler:
          I too watch the next week's preview (or well April 23) and I was fairly shocked that you had just brought this topic up in here.

I guess I don't really want a younger brother. But I'm not opposed to it. I do think it is probably the best time for the show to introduce a half brother.

Sam and Dean have been so splintered that I think that a separation is imminent between them. This is something I've long anticipated since S1, so it may just be my old wishful thinking driving my thoughts now. But if Sam was to go alone in his pursuit of Lillith, then it would be good for Dean to have someone else to care about and to care about him while he tries to save Sam.

As far as John's relationships, (and I know I'm risking tomatoes hurled at me) the Rising Son comics show John trying to make a relationship work with a lady in hopes of being able to create a stable home for the boys. So I do think that John wasn't trying to close himself off after Mary's death. And I don't believe that's something that Mary would have wanted him to do either. So, I don't hold any grudges if we did find out John did have another child out there.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
            ROFL!!! Erin Nicole!!! You were on the mind meld with this one...
            Spoiler:
            I too watch the next week's preview (or well April 23) and I was fairly shocked that you had just brought this topic up in here.

I guess I don't really want a younger brother. But I'm not opposed to it. I do think it is probably the best time for the show to introduce a half brother.

Sam and Dean have been so splintered that I think that a separation is imminent between them. This is something I've long anticipated since S1, so it may just be my old wishful thinking driving my thoughts now. But if Sam was to go alone in his pursuit of Lillith, then it would be good for Dean to have someone else to care about and to care about him while he tries to save Sam.

As far as John's relationships, (and I know I'm risking tomatoes hurled at me) the Rising Son comics show John trying to make a relationship work with a lady in hopes of being able to create a stable home for the boys. So I do think that John wasn't trying to close himself off after Mary's death. And I don't believe that's something that Mary would have wanted him to do either. So, I don't hold any grudges if we did find out John did have another child out there.
            I was wondering how this issue could *not* have been dealt with before now! Considering the lifestyle of a hunter, it would really be totally unrealistic to think that John (or Dean or Sam or any other hunter) would *never* have had any other relationship.

I strongly agree with not holding any grudges regarding any half siblings, but I'm not so sure about inserting said half sibling into the current story line. I don't want the focus to be diverted away from Sam & Dean for any length of time. But, I could reserve judgment until the writers do something stupid with it - we haven't seen any extreme stupidity so far, so I can have some faith that we won't suddenly have a bad turn in the story arc.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with not holding any grudes aganist John. He's a human being, and has his own needs. I may be bias here, but I don't think he LOVED anyone as he did with Mary, but I believe he had his flings like Dean.

Spoiler:
              And it appears very much that he did with this upcoming episode shedding some light on this theory

I also agree that I don't want any "half-brother" replacing either brother. The show has always been able Dean and Sam, and I would be very upset if bringing in another sibling changes that. I wouldn't mind a one episode deal, or possible a recurring character. I don't know how I would feel about this so called half brother joining them on the road week to week and taking up camp in the back seat. It just wouldn't be the same. I think the writers know well enough not to do that as well, and if they do...hopefully they will do it right by the fans who care very deeply about the relationship and lives of Dean and Sam as a team.

Spoiler:
              Originally Posted by Ehlwyen

Spoiler:

I tend to agree with this. If they went about it as a recurring character and Sam either goes evil or goes after Lilith himself, I can kind of see Dean going and picking up his half-brother for some back up (like he did with Sam at the start the series). That is to say this said half brother accepts a hunters life and all... :P

Comment

Working...
              X