Season 5 Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 5 Confirmed

In the clearest sign yet that The CW will live to fight another season, the network has given early renewals to a half-dozen existing series, including Superman drama “Smallville.”

The CW President Dawn Ostroff began telephoning executives at Warner Bros. Television and CBS Paramount Network Television about the decision Tuesday morning. The network could announce the news as early as this afternoon.

In addition to “Smallville,” the series renewed for next season are “Gossip Girl,” “90210,” “America’s Next Top Model” (cycles 13 and 14), “One Tree Hill” and “Supernatural.”

While the solid ratings for all six shows made pickups likely, the renewals were not all foregone conclusions.

In the case of “Smallville,” producer Warner Bros. Television had been negotiating with series star Tom Welling to return. The CW’s renewal indicates the studio was successful in those conversations.

There also had been a question of whether The CW itself would survive for another season. In recent months, however, it’s become increasingly clear that the network has moved to more solid ground.

The network has had a decent 2008-09 season, with the successful launch of “90210” and the strong pairing of “Gossip Girl” and “One Tree Hill” on Monday nights. All three shows have posted double-digit Nielsen gains compared to their timeslot averages last season.

The CW also has had success building its brand as a destination for young female viewers.

With six tentpole series renewed for next season, there aren’t that many holes in The CW’s 2009-10 schedule left to be filled. What’s more, two projects currently in development—a reimagination of “Melrose Place” and the “Gossip Girl” prequel “Lily”—are very likely to land series orders for next season, making it even more difficult for new shows to get on the air.

Nonetheless, The CW has an active development slate beyond “Melrose” and “Lily.” Two buzzworthy projects in the works include “Vampire Diaries” and “Light Years.” The CW also just picked up drama “The Beautiful Life.”

Shows on the bubble at The CW include “Reaper,” “Privileged,” “The Game” and “Everybody Hates Chris.” The latter series, which has already filmed enough episodes for syndication, is considered a long shot to return.

It’s also unclear what direction The CW will move on Friday and Sunday nights next fall, although both nights could provide logical homes for new programming. It’s unlikely, however, that The CW will program a full night of first-run scripted fare on Sundays.
    Source

Oh, thank goodness for that!

Early renewal means that the end of season can be planned with an eye toward next season, rather than anything more open-ended to work as both season and series finale. Excellent news!

Very good news indeed! Didn't Kripke have a 5-year game plan anyway? You gals are the experts on that! I don't typically follow his interviews and whatnot. Supernatural is not a series that I seek supplemental material for, although I do enjoy it immensely.

I find it so odd the One Tree Hill gained so much viewership in its fifth and sixth seasons. Usually that's when viewership tends to drop.

Thanks for the excellent news! I actually still have yet to watch the last episode that aired. I watch it with my fiance and it's so hard to get him to sit down and commit to watching something. That's why I go ahead and watch Lost and BSG without him. I just can't wait for those shows!
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

That is fantastic news! While it may sometimes be painful to watch (not because it's bad, but because it have so many layers and emotion, etc.), this is one of the shows with the most consistency, good episodes all the time. I always come to Supernatural for good quality episodes, and I am very rarely disappointed, especially this season.

And Jenni Lou, I am pretty sure Kripke had a 5-year game plan, but yeah, maybe we should wait for Jo, Chris, Lyn, Cori, etc....?

Comment

I am doing the Dance of Joy as we speak!

It's my birthday on Friday and this is the best birthday present!
        sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

There was really no way Supernatural would have been cancelled after the stellar ratings it pulled in S4. Still, it's great news that it got renewed so early and I am glad that Kripke gets to finish his 5 yr vision for the story of the Winchester boys.

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
          Very good news indeed! Didn't Kripke have a 5-year game plan anyway?
          Yes, from pretty early on Kripke stated that he has a 5 year plan for the mytharc. Still, after the ratings dropped in S3 Kripke assumed that they might get cancelled anyway after S4 and planned accordingly, starting to pull the mytharc together, in case he needs to end the show with the S4 finale. Which is why we had so many mytharc episodes at the beginning of S4.

But then in its 4th season the show started to pull in more and more viewers and had the best ratings ever since it is on the CW, and early in S4 Kripke realised that their chances for a S5 are actually pretty good, so they rowed back with the speed lately. I am sure they are all relieved that they can plan the S4 finale with the next season already in the bag. Gives them the necessary creative freedom.
          Last edited by galathea; 24-02-09, 11:24 PM.

Comment

This is excellent news! It's so great to know that Supernatural is doing so well that it's one of the first seasons to be renewed by the CW . I just looked up on google and heres a quote from Eric Kripke. It was said just as Season 4 was being renewed.

Spoiler:
            Creator Eric Kripke has stated that he sees the show as running for only one more season after that:

"But we sort of have this five-year map. And Jared and Jensen like the idea of a five-year map because we work them so hard. It's possible, but I don't know. But a lot of these issues are beyond my control at the corporate level with ratings, etc. But my personal feeling is that I still want to go out in year five. It's better to go out strong and on top than to be 8 or 9 years into a piece of sh*t. You want conclusions - you want to end it. It's an epic story and epic stories deserve a good ending."
            Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

YES! YES! YES!

This is the best news I have heard all day...maybe even all month! I'm so excited that they were able to get s5 booked now, so that s4 has room to grow and doesn't get rushed to tie up loose ends.

Kripke always had it in mind from the beginning to do 5 seasons of Supernatural, so I'm very glad that opportunity was granted to him and that he will be able to tell the complete story of the Winchesters the way he had planned.

Although I hate to think about Supernatural ever ending, I think Kripke has the right mind to go out on top rather than drag things out for too long. It's kinda like with Buffy. Although I loved having season 6 and 7, I think the 1st 5 seasons were the best. And as painful as it is to watch (every frickin' time), I think Buffy's death at the end of S5 would have been a good closer to the series.

Comment

Woo hoo! I'm glad to have at least another season to look forward to (though more than that wouldn't hurt of course.... ). Hurrah! I didn't know that five seasons was always the plan, so glad to hear that can be put into motion.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Woohoo!

What excellent news to read first thing in the morning! I'm beyond relieved and happy! Although it really would have made no sense at all not to renew Supernatural for a fifth season with the great ratings that it has had lately but you never know with the CW so I'm very grateful to get another season of my favourite show on TV right now.

Originally posted by [erin nicole] View Post
                  Although I hate to think about Supernatural ever ending, I think Kripke has the right mind to go out on top rather than drag things out for too long.
                  I couldn't agree more! It really gives Kripke a chance to plan everything the way he wants to and to ensure that things don't get dragged out but that the show can end on a high note.

Comment

Whoo-hoo!

I am so, so happy about this, even if it DOES mean that 5 is the last season we get. Like you guys say, at least it'll go out the way Kripke wants it to go out, and not dragged out down the line a few years later.
                    Christie | layout-whore | beyond-help

CORDELIA: It's gonna be a long while until you work your way out but I know you well enough to know you *will* and I'll be with you until you do. -- Judgement

Comment

Well maybe, just maybe, CW will finally give this show a budget. I really want to have rock music in every couple episodes at least. And perhaps with a little bit of advertising thrown their way, maybe SN will finally get some decent ratings and a little media presence.

I still hold out hope that SN will be offered a sixth season. Yes, I'm greedy. But turning down an actual offer and sending all the crew out to be unemployed has to be a hard thing to do. Even if there was a "supposed" five year plan...

Which I still don't buy. In S1, all he talked about was how the show could go for 7 years. I don't recall it being mentioned until maybe at the end of S2. However, Kripke thought the S2 finale was going to be the series finale and made some alterations in plot. The "five year plan" got the most mention during S3. Which ended up as an abbreviated season and stuff not played out like he had planned. And many times during S4, it has been said that he hurried up the storyline just in case S4 was the last.

IMO, Kripke has an ending, but it appears that he can speed up or draw out the storyline twists as he so wishes. So a strong ratings start to S5 could make him wary to start the endgame.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                        IMO, Kripke has an ending, but it appears that he can speed up or draw out the storyline twists as he so wishes. So a strong ratings start to S5 could make him wary to start the endgame.
                        Too true. Look at "Smallville." Season 7 was always said to be the last but then ratings boomed and shake-ups happened and the CW squeezed a season 8 out. Then season 8 was said to be the last and everyone was prepared for it...and now we got a season 9! It just goes to show how fluid some shows' storyline can be - and "Supernatural," is one of those shows.

Granted, I so obviously don't want the show to get drawn out, I don't want it to end soon, either. That makes it harder (emotionally) for me to watch (granted, it's also exciting, too...but still... ). Though, like Lyn said, it must be hard to knowingly put so many people out of a job like that.
                        wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Well maybe, just maybe, CW will finally give this show a budget. I really want to have rock music in every couple episodes at least. And perhaps with a little bit of advertising thrown their way, maybe SN will finally get some decent ratings and a little media presence.
                          God, that would be awesome, but I sincerely doubt it. You know, I bet the suits think that if the show can pull decent ratings with next to no money at all, they won't need to change a thing. Plus,
                          Spoiler:
                          Misha Collins mentioned in an interview that Kripke offered him to become a regular on the show, in case they get a S5, which again means less overall budget, because it's spent on the actor.

Which I still don't buy. In S1, all he talked about was how the show could go for 7 years. I don't recall it being mentioned until maybe at the end of S2. However, Kripke thought the S2 finale was going to be the series finale and made some alterations in plot. The "five year plan" got the most mention during S3. Which ended up as an abbreviated season and stuff not played out like he had planned. And many times during S4, it has been said that he hurried up the storyline just in case S4 was the last.

Back at the Paley festival in 2005, when they were filming Shadow, Kripke stated that he can go on forever with the show, because it's unlikely that they run out of urban legends material any time soon. Granted, looking at S1 with its more standalone format, they could have easily carried on like that for a long time, and while I think that Kripke had a general direction for the mytharc, he didn't know exactly how to play it out back then and was more focused on the horror aspect of the show.

But with S2, where the mytharc started to come together, Kripke changed to his 5 yr plan mantra and I have to say that I agree. Looking at the storylines over the last 3 seasons, I don't know how they would be able to top it. Both boys died, they have heaven and hell on earth, the demons and an angel's army are in a war and the apocalypse is rising. Not only is it impossible to draw that out over another 3 seasons, given that 34 seals have already been broken and Sam is good on his way to becoming dark, but once that storyline is resolved, I don't think there's anywhere to go after that. Mostly though, it's the fact that in interviews I get the impression that Kripke himself has no idea where to go once the storylines of the apocalypse and Sam becoming dark/evil are resolved, and that's why I think that the show will end, no matter the ratings for S5.
                          Last edited by galathea; 27-02-09, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Great news, indeed! I?m still way behind because I still have to watch S2 but I?m thrilled for another season of Supernatural. And I also read somewhere that Eric Kripke had plans for 5 years.

Isn?t it amazing that with only the first season of SN, I?m hooked on the show and dying to find out more?

Comment

Y'know, it's funny... The first time I'd even heard about the five-year plan was the day I also found it got renewed for Season 5.

And yet he's said that the show could go on forever 'cause there's so many urban legends? *scratches head* Please, please, PLEASE let the first one be right - that he can go on forever... I don't know what I'll do without my weekly fix of Sam and Dean, LOL.
                              Christie | layout-whore | beyond-help

CORDELIA: It's gonna be a long while until you work your way out but I know you well enough to know you *will* and I'll be with you until you do. -- Judgement

Comment

Originally posted by galathea View Post
                                But with S2, where the mytharc started to come together, Kripke changed to his 5 yr plan mantra and I have to say that I agree. Looking at the storylines over the last 3 seasons, I don't know how they would be able to top it. Both boys died, they have heaven and hell on earth, the demons and an angel's army are in a war and the apocalypse is rising. Not only is it impossible to draw that out over another 3 seasons, given that 34 seals have already been broken and Sam is good on his way to becoming dark, but once that storyline is resolved, I don't think there's anywhere to go after that. Mostly though, it's the fact that in interviews I get the impression that Kripke himself has no idea where to go once the storylines of the apocalypse and Sam becoming dark/evil are resolved, and that's why I think that the show will end, no matter the ratings for S5.
                                I totally agree with you, Chris. I don't think there's much that can top everything that the show has been leading up to to go on after s5. The only thing I can think of is if everything is resolved and they go back to the s1 format of stand-alone episodes. Again, I'd rather see the show go out on top than to be dragged out just because they got an offer for more seasons. I don't want the show to lose its high quality entertainment.

Plus, its alot of work for Jensen and Jared to be the 2 main characters and be in pretty much every scene. I'm sure the hours they put in to work on the show takes a toll on them. So, they deserve their break as well.

Comment

Oh my god! 5th season??? we're not even half way through the 4th season yet! (which still hasn't come back on tv!) But 5th season does sound good, more dean and sam droolage hehehehehe.

Joss
                                  Fire bad tree pretty

Comment

I think the show is amazing. So I am loathe to draw attention to the seams over the years in the storyline to prove my point.

My point being, the show's storyline is flexible. If it does get picked up for a sixth season, it wouldn't be jumping the shark or all the other trash that elitists would call it.

Supernatural has always been a well written show more on the basis of it's character exploration rather than the overall mytharc.

I think once they reach the middle of S5 it will be like cresting a hill to which they could see S6 unfold. Whereas here in middle of S4 we can't see S6 for the hill that is S5 between us.

Originally posted by [erinnicole
                                    ]
                                    Plus, its alot of work for Jensen and Jared to be the 2 main characters and be in pretty much every scene. I'm sure the hours they put in to work on the show takes a toll on them. So, they deserve their break as well.
                                    I definitely agree it has to be exhausting for Jensen and Jared. However, it can be hard to find new substantial roles after being in a long running television. Of all the BtVS/AtS regular alums, only David Boreanz was able to move from his role as Angel to another substantial role within only a year. Everyone else has floated through minor characters and most of those roles appeared years after the shows ended.

And I really doubt that either Jensen or Jared want to be pigeonholed as supernatural/horror actors...like Entertainment Weekly mentioned they were on their way to becoming just a couple issues back considering both their new horror movies. So I suspect they are going to be out of substantial work for a while after SN ends whether after a S5 or S6.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I think the show is amazing.
                                      Well, duh!

So I am loathe to draw attention to the seams over the years in the storyline to prove my point.

My point being, the show's storyline is flexible. If it does get picked up for a sixth season, it wouldn't be jumping the shark or all the other trash that elitists would call it.
                                      Well, I guess I disagree here because I don't think the mytharc is all that flexible anymore. In the early stages of a story you can easily adjust and change course, but the closer you get to the endgame, the more difficult it becomes to do so, and Kripke clearly started to play up to the endgame this season. I mean, of course there would be options, for example to let the apocalypse happen and then have Sam and Dean hunt in a post-apocalyptic America, but I am pretty sure they don't have the budget for that kind of storyline and I am not sure if they would even want to go there.

Supernatural has always been a well written show more on the basis of it's character exploration rather than the overall mytharc.
                                      Again, duh! But also character exploration and mytharc went hand in hand, they are not independent from each other, a lot of character developments results from mytharc developments. The problem is, over the years they put the boys in increasingly heavy situations and I am pretty sure that they have reached a maximum of what they could do to the brothers. I mean, don't misunderstand me, I would be more than happy to have a 6th season that is dedicated to Sam and Dean trying to cope with the aftermath of their ordeal and relearning to be brothers on the basis of who they are now, instead of who they used to be. I'd really like that A LOT, but I doubt Kripke and Co (or the network) would go for that.

Comment

Well, duh!

Well, I guess I disagree here because I don't think the mytharc is all that flexible anymore. In the early stages of a story you can easily adjust and change course, but the closer you get to the endgame, the more difficult it becomes to do so, and Kripke clearly started to play up to the endgame this season.
                                        Very true, there is more flexibility in the beginning.
                                        I mean, of course there would be options, for example to let the apocalypse happen and then have Sam and Dean hunt in a post-apocalyptic America, but I am pretty sure they don't have the budget for that kind of storyline and I am not sure if they would even want to go there.
                                        I so don't want that. However, I don't see any reason the show cant introduce another character orchestrating the events and lead the plot back to it being about a personal vendetta against the Winchester (or Campbell) family.

That’s what I miss most about the early years, that the mytharc was on a personal level. Not all about mass apocalypse and hell on earth. That generic epic evil threat has been done before. The SN story was quite unique in that amongst all the random evil, their family was targeted for a specific reason.

Again, duh! But also character exploration and mytharc went hand in hand, they are not independent from each other, a lot of character developments results from mytharc developments. The problem is, over the years they put the boys in increasingly heavy situations and I am pretty sure that they have reached a maximum of what they could do to the brothers. I mean, don't misunderstand me, I would be more than happy to have a 6th season that is dedicated to Sam and Dean trying to cope with the aftermath of their ordeal and relearning to be brothers on the basis of who they are now, instead of who they used to be. I'd really like that A LOT, but I doubt Kripke and Co (or the network) would go for that.
                                        I don't think that the heavy situations are the most character revealing. I wouldn't feel the quality of the show would be diminished if the boys had less epically tragic events placed on their shoulders. There are plenty of other dramatic events that they could be asked to cope with that don't require an apocalpse looming over head to give emotion to.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Working...
                                        X