Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Kim Manners

I just read this on my flist @ LJ

"After directing the first episode of the fourth season, he learned he had lung cancer. He died in Los Angeles, California, on January 25, 2009."

He will be sadly missed. I can't believe he's gone. I had no idea he was ill. I hope he can find peace and that he wasn't in too much pain before he went.

For those not in the know: He always directed the season premier and season finale of Supernatural and stood as executive producer on the show. He did many episodes during the seasons and was one of the "heaviest" directors the show had. He was also one of the main directors on X Files with 52 episodes in his bag and stood as producer, co-executive producer and finally supervising producer on the show.

The last episode he directed for Supernatural was this season's "Family Remains". He was also the brother of Kelly Manners, who worked on Buffy, Angel and the new Dollhouse.

(despite that the info is hard to dig up on this right now, this is confirmed information from sources like Jim Beaver. )
    PRETTY AS A PICTURE HAS RETURNED
    sigpic
    With the return of PAAP comes the integration of Screencap Paradise
    Keep a look out for Chosen Art, Roadhouse and the others

*gasp*

So sad! I love him for SUpernatural but even more for The X-Files. What a devastating lost to genre television.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I've heard about this a couple of hours ago. It's such a shock, not only to the SN community but to TV in general as he was one of the best known and most prolific directors with such a distinct vision to his episodes. He directed some of the best episodes of Supernatural as well as The X-Files. Cast and crew loved him dearly and Jensen and Jared always emphasised that he could wring emotions from them like no other director. He will be sorely missed.

Originally posted by Dana
      The last episode he directed for Supernatural was this season's "Family Remains".
      Uhm, no. The last episode Kim Manners directed was 'Metamorphosis'. 'Family Remains' was directed by Phil Sgriccia.

Comment

Originally posted by galathea View Post
        Uhm, no. The last episode Kim Manners directed was 'Metamorphosis'. 'Family Remains' was directed by Phil Sgriccia.
        Are you positive? Because IMDB says that Kim Manners directed "Family Remains."

In any case, this truly is a tragic loss to the industry. Looking at the list of episodes he's directed for "Supernatural," I've loved almost every episode that he's done - and most of them were those monumental, extremely powerful ones that redefined my love for the show for the better.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I know that the industry won't be the same without him.
        wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
          Are you positive? Because IMDB says that Kim Manners directed "Family Remains."
          I am absolutely certain. Looked at my copy of the episode for confirmation and it says Phil Sgriccia. Maybe it was planned beforehand that Manners directs this episode but then wasn't able anymore. IMDB might have gotten that information from casting sites or something like that and then didn't correct it after the episode aired.
          galathea
          Roadie
          Last edited by galathea; 27-01-09, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I am completely crushed. Kim Manners was by far my favorite director on Supernatural. I lived for episodes from him. He knew how to get emotion onscreen to feel real, true, and personal unlike any other.

Whenever his name popped on screen during the beginning of an episode I felt a rush of relief. Metamorphosis was no exception and was the turning point for me falling in love with this season.

Does anyone know if SN has anymore Manner's directed episodes already in the can? *crosses fingers* I also wonder what episode the show will decide to dedicate to him.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

This news has been all over my LJ f-list last night and this morning. Such terrible news - such a gifted director, his episodes so instantly recognisable. All those who knew and loved him must be devastated right now.

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
              Does anyone know if SN has anymore Manner's directed episodes already in the can? *crosses fingers* I also wonder what episode the show will decide to dedicate to him.
              Alas, I very much doubt that there are any more episodes directed by Manners still to air. If he was scheduled to direct Family Remains but wasn't able to,I suspect he was already too ill by then to have directed one later.

This is such a shock, and a huge blow to the show. Episodes directed by Manners were always so instantly recognisable, just from his use of camera angles and closeups. He is going to be terribly missed.

Comment

First reactions from the Supernatural crew:

Eric Kripke:

"Everyone at 'Supernatural' is walking around in a daze, shocked and absolutely devastated. Kim was a brilliant director; more than that, he was a mentor and friend. He was one of the patriarchs of the family, and we miss him desperately. He gave so much to 'Supernatural,' and everything we do on the show, now and forever, is in memory of him."

Jim Beaver:

"I have never had such fun working with a director, and Kim became a dear friend. He was the willing butt of the enormous humor on that set, most of it from the two leads, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, who delighted in tormenting him, and he was as good at giving it as taking it. He was an AMAZING director, who knew everything I can imagine a director might need or want to know about directing television. And he was one of the very best people, one of the very best friends, a person might ever want to have."

Comment

This is truly heartbreaking, I've even grown a bit teary-eyed reading this. Thank you Dana for making this thread and letting us who hadn't heard, know about this tragedy.

Like some others who posted before me, I had no idea that Kim Manners was even sick! He was an amazing director, and I'm sure he will be greatly missed by all of us. All of his episodes were fantastic, and were a big reason for my love of the show. This is completely devastating. His family and friends are in my thoughts.

Comment

I've liked his work since back on the X-Files and found this just sad. Nowadays, I'm really accustomed to people at least living a fair amount of time if they die of cancer. This comes as such a shock and he was far too young. At least he did a lot with his life though. He left a mark, which is important.

::Shadow of Reflection::
                    NOW CAPPING YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOWS AND MOVIES!!! See them HERE...

Comment

Working...
                    X