Would I like this show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I like this show?

I was wondering if I would like this show? shows I like are ANgel, dark angel, highlander.forever knight, heroes,

I don't like x-files, csi or shows like that.
    How would you describe this show? Is it worth buying on dvd or is it a watch one and out kind of thing? ANy fight scenes at all? Humor?
    Thanks

It has a slightly dense mythology. And yes, there are fight scenes and actually quite a big dose of humor (depending on the episode...some are very light and others are very dark.)

But if you don't like The X-Files be forewarned that some of the producers/writers work/have worked on this show. However, it's a completely different universe. The X-Files relied on a lot of scientific storytelling, using a doctor to attempt to explain phenomena. Supernatural relies on self-created mythos.

It's a great show! I found it a little slow to start in the first season but once the overall mythology picks, so does the show. It's just one of those things you will probably have to check out to see if it's your taste.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I concur. This show is worth watching. Its different but still fall under that sci-fi feeling. I'd suggest renting the the DVD. Also- in my opinion, u can't just watch one or two episodes. I'd watch maybe 6 or 8.

Its the same concept as reading a book. U gotta really get into the story and decide if u want to continue.

Each season ties in with the previous- which makes it all worthwhile.
      Banner by Digital Leonardo

Comment

There's plenty of humor, monster mythology, plus there is a lot of heart in the story of the Winchesters. You can watch it once and enjoy the entertainment, but you can watch it multiple times to understand the subtle symbolism and metaphors that the elements represent.

It is however a dark show in that there is a lot of horror and violence. People die horrible deaths, and in later years harsh language can be used. There is also plenty of action and fights. The show makes a point of having each monster be depicted or destroyed in different ways than the last.

I very much recommend it. If you like an intense drama that's not afraid to have some fun along the way, you'll enjoy SN.

On a side note, I see you username has jedi in it, the creator loves star wars and included some references in SN over the years.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

There's plenty of humor, monster mythology, plus there is a lot of heart in the story of the Winchesters. You can watch it once and enjoy the entertainment, but you can watch it multiple times to understand the subtle symbolism and metaphors that the elements represent.

It is however a dark show in that there is a lot of horror and violence. People die horrible deaths, and in later years harsh language can be used. There is also plenty of action and fights. The show makes a point of having each monster be depicted or destroyed in different ways than the last.

I very much recommend it. If you like an intense drama that's not afraid to have some fun along the way, you'll enjoy SN.

On a side note, I see you username has jedi in it, the creator loves star wars and included some references in SN over the years.

Comment

I was in your seat not too long ago. I was very concerned if I would be able to get into the series, but after about the first 3 episodes I was hooked. It is super easy to get into the flow of the show.

The two main characters are so well written, the bother relationship is delt with in such an amazing way. They promote the series as this action packed non-stop fighting series, but the heart is really Dean and Sam and just how they live with each other and how they deal with the life they are now part of.

Also... UBER COOL SPECIAL EFFECTS! And the monsters are so neat.

I really do recommend watch the series. Season 3 gets a bit iffy to watch, but once you get past the first half its smooth sailing from there on.

Comment

I'm growing to love it more and more - and yes, plenty of action and humour. Pop culture references a go go... and if you like rock music and cars, that's probably a plus.

I thought the first season wasn't that strong at first, but it keeps getting better.

Some people don't like season 3, but I'm loving it (maybe I'm just ornery ).

It is VERY scary sometimes though. Jesus. Hide behind the sofa stuff.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                Not to mention gory! Sometimes I literally have to close my eyes and "lalalala" really loud just so I don't hear the icky sounds either! It's crazy the stuff they can get away with on network tv sometimes.

And yes, I am not a horror movie fan. I can do without the ick, thank you very much! Thankfully this show doesn't linger on it too long.
                sigpic
                follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                  I'm growing to love it more and more - and yes, plenty of action and humour. Pop culture references a go go... and if you like rock music and cars, that's probably a plus.

I thought the first season wasn't that strong at first, but it keeps getting better.

Some people don't like season 3, but I'm loving it (maybe I'm just ornery ).

I love season 3 too!

Sometimes it gets too scary!! But what I love the most are two things:
                  - The humour. There is an episode in season 4 (yellow Fever) where it is impossible not to laugh.
                  - The interaction of the brothers. Their drama is awsome!

I bet theimmortaljedi, you are gona get hooked as we are.
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  Willow: Nervous?
                  Xander: No way. I'm full of that good old Kamikaze spirit.
                  Giles: Xander, just because this is never gonna work, there's no need to be negative.

Comment

Originally posted by theimmortaljedi View Post
                    I was wondering if I would like this show? shows I like are ANgel, dark angel, highlander.forever knight, heroes,

I don't like x-files, csi or shows like that.
                    How would you describe this show? Is it worth buying on dvd or is it a watch one and out kind of thing? ANy fight scenes at all? Humor?
                    Thanks
                    I love Forever Knight! I've never come across anyone whom likes it other than me. Notice the similarites to Angel? There's so many!

I've seen a few episodes of Supernatural, and I was intrigued.
                    Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
                    ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
                    - James Marsters

Comment

I only watched season 1 (i missed the final episodes though, which probably were the best) and i didn't really like it. I didn't hate it, but I couldn't find anything else worth watching in the show except for the two brothers (who are the two hottest actors on earth!) and of course the faboulus Amy Acker in one episode (I didn't like the episode, though, it looked like a rip off of The Ring). Still the show has its good moments and you should watch at least 5 or 6 episodes and then decide.
                      What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

For me Supernatural is a show that I like, in fact I like it a lot; I don't love it though.

There are certain shows, like Buffy, Doctor Who, House that have a certain something that just makes me fall in love with them. I'm not sure what this is, in fact i'm pretty sure it's different in all cases but Supernatural just doesn't have that for me.

Having said that there are some excellent eps that I can rewatch 'Bloody Mary', 'Hookman' and 'Hellhouse' being three prime examples. I would definitely say give it a go and see what you think, I can say I don't regret watching it myself.
                        JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                        Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Working...
                        X