4x05 Monster Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x05 Monster Movie

As was to be expected Ben Edlund came next in the rotation of writers and Monster Movie definitely bore his signature. Like so many Supernatural episodes it follows in the footsteps of a classic X-Files episode, this time their wonderfully bizarre black & white horror homage The Post-Modern Prometheus. While Monster Movie at times undoubtedly veered into questionable territory (uhm, rehymenation?!), it’s for the most part a fun ride for every fan of classic horror movies.

Let’s get something out of the way first: Monster Movie was originally intended to air as the third episode of S4, but the network wasn’t comfortable with launching such an out-of-the-ordinary and rather whimsical episode so early in the season and asked the producers to push it further back and I have to say that I am extremely torn about that decision. I admit, the first four episodes made an intense and rather self-contained mini-arc, not only addressing some plot points that were left open in S3, but also exploring new ground in terms of mythology, and I think that this focus was needed after the dramatic finale of last season. Additionally, last week’s episode provided a temporary resolution to the ongoing drama between the brothers, so this was a good point in time to jump into a more light-hearted plot, without leaving the audience (and characters) hanging with unresolved emotions.

However, the switch of the episodes does pose the usual problems with transition and characterisation for me. The transition from Metamorphosis to Monster Movies wasn’t completely smooth. The opening dialogue in the car clearly ties to the end of Are You There God? It’s Me, Dean Winchester!, where Dean learned of Lilith’s plans from Castiel, a conversation he obviously relayed to his brother. Sam’s initial objections against working a run-of-the-mill casefile, while something as epic as the apocalypse lurks right around the corner, comes as a natural reaction shortly after hearing those news, three episodes later that reaction seems to be a bit delayed.

More importantly, Sam’s feeling that they have now more urgent things to do than hunting vampires, delivers a good additional motivation for sneaking out with Ruby in In The Beginning in order to interrogate the demon about Lilith’s whereabouts. With his new knowledge he has a renewed interest in finding Lilith. Also, Sam playing the indulgent little brother to Dean’s horndog in this week’s episode follows more naturally from their easy brotherly relationship in Are You There God? It’s Me, Dean Winchester! than from their tension filled and strained relationship in Metamorphosis.

An even bigger problem that arises out of the switch is the read on Dean’s characterisation: The episode would originally have taken place before Dean learned that the purpose of his resurrection was to stop Sam and not because he is a good person or an invaluable asset as a hunter in general. Dean’s hesitant admission that he may come around to think of hunting as a mission from God, that he found renewed purpose in his profession, after struggling with weariness and doubts about the meaningfulness of his job for so long, actually makes more sense in the direct aftermath of Are You There God? It’s Me Dean Winchester!. It is easily interpreted as Dean accepting Sam and Bobby’s attempts to convince him that Castiel’s appearance is a good omen and that higher powers actually care about him personally. Additionally, Castiel’s spiel about Lilith and the 66 seals probably lead Dean to believe that he was brought back to help preventing the apocalypse in his normal capacity as a hunter. So, a strengthened belief in the purpose of hunting as a result of these events seems believable.

After learning about his true mission from Castiel in In The Beginning though, I can see this renewed belief in the purpose of hunting waver again. After all, Sam’s destiny and Dean's own part in it was one of the main burdens that weighed him down in S2, one of the reasons that made him question his life in the first place. Dean’s realisation that his resurrection wasn’t about him at all and that he only came back to be damned with a different version of John’s last order for him in In My Time Of Dying, doesn’t really work well with the feeling that his burdens were lifted after he came back from hell.

So, overall I feel, that the original order of Are You There God? It’s Me Dean Winchester! followed by Monster Movies and then In The Beginning builds a more natural and logical progression in the characterisation for both Sam and Dean. I really wished the network would stop meddling with the show. Anyways, while these shifts in characterisation caused by the switch in episode order are frustrating, it works for the most part nonetheless and in my further analysis I will proceed as if the episode was intended to air in this spot.

Dean: "I still got to see the new Raiders movie!"
    Sam: "Saw it."
    Dean: "Without me?"
    Sam: "You were in hell."
    Dean: "That’s no excuse!"

Hm, now why do I have difficulties to imagine grief-stricken Sam going to the movies while his brother was in hell? So I just assume Sam saw that movie as pay-per-view in a motel on a particularly rough day when he missed his brother, imagining to watch the movie together with Dean. Yeah, that works for me.

The easy companionship and banter between the brothers was wonderful to watch after the heavy angst of the last couple of episodes. Dean’s wish to go back to the Winchester version of 'normal' is easily understandable. None of that complicated 'save the world' crap, but hard leg work, interviews, research, saving people, hunting things, with a side dish of flirting. It’s what Dean is most comfortable with and it’s a good starting point for him and Sam to find common ground again after their big fallout last episode. Sam is obviously willing to play along, at least on the surface. It’s good to see Sam smiling again, indulging his big brother’s eccentricities with mild amusement. In a sense he nearly lost Dean again when the truth about his activities came to light, so I think that slipping into the familiar role allocation with his brother gives him just as much a feeling of security as Dean.

There was an abundance of great brotherly comedy moments in the episode, like Sam’s disbelief at Dean’s bar wench & rehymenation speech (I’m right there with you, Sammy!), Dean’s exasperated expression after Sam’s pitiful attempt to kick the door in the basement open, only for the door to keel over from the impact just a second later or Sam’s smug smile at guessing the movie Dean would model his life after. That end scene was priceless. Porky’s 2, really?! Oh man!

Dean: "Last few years, I started thinking like that. It started weighing on me, of course that was before …A little while ago I had this, let’s call it, a near death experience, very near. And when I came to, things were different. My life’s been different. I realised that I help people, not just help them, but I save them and I guess it’s awesome. It’s kind of like a gift, like a mission. Like a mission from God."

I am a bit ambivalent towards Dean’s little moment of introspection: As mentioned before, this particular moment would have worked a lot better for me if it had aired as planned after 4.02, but in addition I don’t quite buy that Dean only now realises that he saves people. Already back in Wendigo he stated that helping people was his motivation for hunting in the first place and only in S2, when 'saving people' became about saving his family and the burdens started to take their toll on him, he began to question his life. He always knew that he saves people, but he started to doubt that it has any meaning in the grander scheme of things.

So I think this is less about Dean acknowledging that he does good with his actions, but about finally realising that other people (and maybe even God) acknowledge that as well. It lends a new validation to his life’s work. Sure, Sam, Bobby and Lisa told him before about the enormous impact he has on people’s lives, but he was in no frame of mind to accept it back then.

While it is totally in character for Dean to confide in a relative stranger rather than Sam, after all he often tries to avoid showing his emotional vulnerability in front of his little brother, I would have preferred Dean talking to Sam instead of Jamie here. It was Sam who stood at his side and offered reassurance when Dean expressed his weariness with their job in Croatoan, Hunted or What Is and What Should Never Be. I am sure it would be a relief for Sam to hear that Dean feels like he found his center again and that maybe Sam’s attempts to convince Dean that Castiel’s appearance means a good thing, played a role in that.

Shapeshifter: "It is a monster movie, after all!"

It’s obvious that everybody on set had a field day with this episode, from set designers, to wardrobe, from score composers to camera and lighting. A lot of love to detail went into the recreation of the mood and atmosphere of a classic horror flick from the 30’s and 40’s. The stage sets had the typical cheap and artificial feel, the work with shadows and harsh lights was beautiful and the score alternating between overly dramatic and playful set the right mood from the start. Also, I adored the intermission screens!

The abundance of visual references to classic horror movie moments was fantastic as well. From small details like the exaggerated light beam over Dracula’s eyes, to the famous shot of the mummy’s hand reaching out of the sarcophagus or the play of silhouettes against an illuminated canvas, they successfully recreated these well-known movie scenes. Kudos to Robert Singer for a really beautifully shot episode. I also loved how they, very tongue-in-cheek, made fun of the genre, by setting mundane counterpoints to the over-dramatic scenery, for example when shapeshifter!Dracula makes his exit on a pathetic little moped or when he walks from his gloomy laboratory a la Frankenstein in the basement into his utterly ordinary living room to accept the pizza delivery.

The shapeshifter was the perfect choice for the MotW to give the crack-y premise of the story at least a halfway believable background. As was already mentioned in Skin and Nightshifter before, shapeshifters are driven by normal human emotions, in this case loneliness. The creature that turns into a monster because it is rejected by normal society is a horror movie cliché in itself and hence worked great for the plot as well.

What else was noteworthy:

There is no way in hell that I would find it believable, that Dean would not know who shapeshifter!Dracula refers to when he mentions Mina and Harker. Dean has consistently been depicted as a hardcore horror movie fan in the show and in almost every Dracula movie, from the classic Bela Lugosi flick to the modern Coppola version, these characters are integral part of the story. So Dean’s ignorance in this case is ridiculous. That’s not cool, Mr. Edlund!

Jamie was a great one shot female character. I loved how easily she saw through Dean’s charade of the week and reciprocated his cocky flirting with ease only to turn him down on his first attempt. Heh, I guess that doesn’t happen very often to Dean. I liked how collected she reacted to the revelation that monsters are real and her sympathetic demeanour towards Dean after she realised how much responsibility he shoulders and how much of his own life he sacrifices to help others was heart-warming. She showed courage when confronted with the shapeshifter and in the end even saved the day by killing him. She reminded me of Sarah in Provenance, that’s probably why Sam liked her too.

I have an unhealthy amount of love for the title sequence of this episode: The old WB logo, the overly dramatic symphonic score, the ugly font used for the credits, the ominous lightning & thunder, the 'you enter Pennsylvania' street sign and the fade out with the narrowing of the camera lens made an absolute fabulous intro to the mood and theme of the episode!

In conclusion: Monster Movie is a 'love it or hate it' episode, just like Ghostfacers and I can say for my part, I loved it. Most of the jokes worked for me and apart from the characterisation problems resulting from the episode switch, which wasn’t really Ben Edlund’s fault, the brotherly interaction was enjoyable to watch.
    galathea
    Roadie
    Last edited by galathea; 17-10-08, 11:02 PM.

I agree, I totally adored this episode. I'm always a fan of the off-the-wall, lighthearted eppy's and this one was another great one. I loved the black & white, Dean's whoring! And the fact that he seems to be re-hymenated! That had me laughing for like 5 minutes! Also, Sam's line after the mummy murder and he found the dry ice of "this is stupid" cracked me up so bad, I don't know if it was his tone or his facial expression, but I could not stop giggling at that line, it was so funny!

The one thing I didn't quite 'get' was the lipstick on the napkin. Is that supposed to be a shapeshifter clue, or just a lame attempt (like in the old b&w movies) at a 'clue' as to who the bad guy is? If it was a shapeshifter thing, I don't get it. So I'm readining it as, and I kind of like, that they added a corny element as an obvious tell to the identity of the villain. Very 'monster movie'.

It really was a very close 'feel' to the b&w x-files episode, and I loved that they acknowledged that in this ep with the damsel asking if they were like Mulder and Scully, and Dean saying, "no that was tV, this is real life!" Awesome.

So, yeah, I enjoyed this episode, it was a nice break after the drama of the last 4, and to be quite honest if Chris hadn't of mentioned that it was aired out of order, I wouldn't have picked up on it. In retrospect, I agree with what Chris wrote about the ease with which the brothers were with each other which probably shouldn't be there after the last 2 eps, and I bet it won't be there next ep, but still, it was a plausible episode in this air-context.
    sigpic

Comment

Man Supernatural this season keeps knocking them out of the park! The pessimist in me can't believe that they will be able to keep up this level of excellance throughout the season, but if they do I'm fairly certain that this will surpass S2 as my favourite season.

On reading Chris's points about this episode being shown out of sequence I went back and watched it in the order it was going to be shown orignally, and it does flow much better in characterisation - the ease at which that Sam and Dean are with each other, the mention of the end of the world at the beginning and Dean's "I'm on a mission from God" speech (sidenote: was the Blues Brothes reference intentional? They were dressed like them for most of the episode too! If only they'd been singing and escaping from the cops ). I can take onboard that the boys were too distracted by the events of "In The Beginning" and "Metamorphosis" to think about Lilith's plans and that's why it wasn't mentioned before and trust the shown running order because of it, but the other things stick out like sore thumbs (resisting the urge to quote Willow's speech about sore thumbs ) in particular the fact that there is no strain between the boys seems really wrong after the events of last weeks episode.

So the episode itself - first off I was expecting that the black and white would disappear at some point (like after the case was solved) and was pleasantly surprised that it was black and white all the way through. The look of the episode was truly gorgeous and the little nods to the old movies with the music and the lighting and the sets was really well done. I really did laugh out loud at a few things (which is rare, normally I just snort when I find something funny!) and I loved the rehymenation speech, Dean dressed in lederhosen (poor Jensen, the things he'll do for his art!) and the look on Dean's face when Shapeshifter!Dracula got away on his scooter, so definitely one of the funniest episodes they've had.

The monster of the week, a shapeshifter, is a favourite of mine. I have been re-watching some S1 episodes recently and did wonder when they were going to have another one (there's been one in every season, ignoring the fact that there wasn't in S3 because of the curtailed season) and leads me to wonder when there will be a vampire one. The shapeshifter was played for laughs this time and didn't seem very threatening until he shouted at Jamie to put the dress on, chills were definitely had at that point. Nice way to make him really evil after all the "this is stupid" stuff, mind you I did feel sorry for him when he dropped the personas and talked as himself. Gotta say though I knew who the shifter was from the moment "Lucy" blotted her lipstick on the napkin. Maybe that was like LRae said another nod to the old movies, but it seemed really obviously done.

As far as plot continuity and brotherly stuff, I thought that that particular speech by the shapeshifter - being rejected because he was a freak - was a good mirror to how Sam feels Dean's treats him (re the conversation they had be the side of the road in "Metamorphosis") and it seems that this season the writers are pushing us in the direction that Freak with Powers= Evil because there is no other option, making us think that Sam will be unable to control himself if he taps into all his powers.

I also think that Dean's comment about a "black and white" case can be interpreted that they are on opposite sides at the moment (which ever order you watch it, Dean not knowing about Sam using his powers therefore it being a freudian slip or him knowing about it and it being a specific reference). I can't get past the boys being "mentored" by an angel and a demon, and it seems I can find references to them being on opposite sides in every episode. I'm trying not to think that this will mean a Sam and Dean showdown finale, because I don't really want it to be that simple and of course I don't want their sibling relationship destroyed.

So an excellent episode again, funny and touching at times, beautiful to look at, a clear cut MOTW case with Dean being a horndog - all very reminiscent of the earlier seasons.

Just one last note: Am I the only one that caught the fantastic little thing of the Pennslyvania road sign changing to Transylvania for a split second in the lightening as the Impala drove past it at the beginning? I thought that it would've been mentioned already is all
      ciderdrinker
      Where was I?
      Last edited by ciderdrinker; 19-10-08, 11:06 AM.
      sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by galathea View Post
        In conclusion: Monster Movie is a 'love it or hate it' episode
        Actually I disagree with that statement. I neither loved nor hated Monster Movie, I mostly felt indifferent towards this episode. *shrugs* I enjoyed some parts (all the brotherly interactions and the Jamie/Dean scenes), while other parts (the MOTW) rather bored me. I felt as if I was getting pulled out of the rhythm of this so far fantastic and very gripping season by this episode which was purely MOTW. I'm not denying that it was pretty funny at times but over all it just didn't grip or touch me the same way the previous 4 episodes had. But then again IMO any pure MOTW episode would be having a hard time against 4 fantastic mytharc-centric episodes.

The funny:

This episode definitely had some funny scenes, for example when Jamie turned Dean down the first time he asked her out, Sam's facial expressions while the sheriff went on about vampires in the morgue, Dracula getting away on a little scooter, Dean being dressed in Lederhosen, Sam guessing Dean's movie at the end etc. etc.

The cringeworthy or strange:

The whole re-hymenated thing! Really Ben Edlund? Also, Dean the horror fan supposedly not knowing about Mina and Harker? Give me a break!

I really wish that the CW had not told Kripke & co. to postpone this episode. *sigh* It would have worked much better as a third episode of the season IMO. The brotherly interactions just sometimes did not feel natural after the events of In The Beginning/Metamorphosis. While it was nice to see the boys being on such good terms, I didn't find it that credible that the tension and strain between them would just disappear. Stupid CW!

The surprising:

I honestly had no idea that Oktoberfest was such a big thing in the States as well. :eek: I thought that was purely a German (or at least European because we also have some version of Oktoberfest in Switzerland) thing. I get why Dean would like the whole beer and bar wrench thing but I was a bit disappointed that he did not make a snarky remark about the absolutely horrible music getting played at Oktoberfest (one of the many reasons why I would not attend such an event).

The aww-worthy:

Dean opening up to Jamie about his state of mind, that was probably my favourite scene in the entire episode! I like that in the end Dean got a little loving too, if anyone deserves it, it's him!

It was also nice to see Dean in such an upbeat mood, I guess things will get angsty again soon enough.

The pretty:

One of the things that I enjoyed most about this episode was that it was shot in black and white, it just looked gorgeous! And is it just me or did Jensen look ridiculously handsome in b&w (even more so than usual)?

So overall, this episode did not exactly blow me away and I have no urge to rewatch it countless times like I did with the other season 4 episodes but I guess after having 4 such fantastic episodes, it was to be expected that this would happen sooner or later. I can't wait for next week's episode though, the description sounds really interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
          Actually I disagree with that statement. I neither loved nor hated Monster Movie, I mostly felt indifferent towards this episode. *shrugs* I enjoyed some parts (all the brotherly interactions and the Jamie/Dean scenes), while other parts (the MOTW) rather bored me. I felt as if I was getting pulled out of the rhythm of this so far fantastic and very gripping season by this episode which was purely MOTW. I'm not denying that it was pretty funny at times but over all it just didn't grip or touch me the same way the previous 4 episodes had. But then again IMO any pure MOTW episode would be having a hard time against 4 fantastic mytharc-centric episodes.
          What I meant was, that for every fan of classic campy horror movies, the concept, style and execution of this episode makes it worthwhile all of its own, independently from the boys. If you don't particularly care about that aspect of the episode it's of course unlikely that you enjoy it very much. The same goes for Ghostfacers IMO. I don't think the episode was meant to touch us, it was mostly about the style and not about the content

I honestly had no idea that Oktoberfest was such a big thing in the States as well. :eek: I thought that was purely a German (or at least European because we also have some version of Oktoberfest in Switzerland) thing. I get why Dean would like the whole beer and bar wrench thing but I was a bit disappointed that he did not make a snarky remark about the absolutely horrible music getting played at Oktoberfest (one of the many reasons why I would not attend such an event).
          ROFL, same here! I hate Oktoberfest and was quite astonished to see Sam and Dean in that context! Certainly nothing I would have anticipated to see in Supernatural!

One of the things that I enjoyed most about this episode was that it was shot in black and white, it just looked gorgeous! And is it just me or did Jensen look ridiculously handsome in b&w (even more so than usual)?
          Guh .. Jensen has that classic charisma and air about him. He looked like a young Cary Grant! Of course it did help that they wore classic black suits most of the time as well.

Comment

What I meant was, that for every fan of classic campy horror movies, the concept, style and execution of this episode makes it worthwhile all of its own, independently from the boys. If you don't particularly care about that aspect of the episode it's of course unlikely that you enjoy it very much. The same goes for Ghostfacers IMO. I don't think the episode was meant to touch us, it was mostly about the style and not about the content
            Okay got ya. So maybe this episode was not meant to touch us but I doubt that Kripke meant to bore us and I for one was rather bored by some aspects of this episode and judging from comments I have read on other SN-related forums, I'm not the only one. But then again I'm not a hardcore fan of classic horror movies so that might be why. And I almost always prefer content over style.

What is it with me and the 5th episode of any Supernatural season? Apart from possibly Bloody Mary, I was not particularly fond of any of the 5th episodes whereas I absolutely loved all 4th episodes of all Supernatural seasons. Weird!!!

ROFL, same here! I hate Oktoberfest and was quite astonished to see Sam and Dean in that context! Certainly nothing I would have anticipated to see in Supernatural!
            I know! I also never expected to hear German on Supernatural so that kinda made me squee a little, especially when Dean spoke it.

Guh .. Jensen has that classic charisma and air about him. He looked like a young Cary Grant! Of course it did help that they wore classic black suits most of the time as well.
            Totally! Jensen has classic good looks and that was intensified by the black and white. Those black suits were definitely helpful in the drooling department as well!

Comment

Okay got ya. So maybe this episode was not meant to touch us but I doubt that Kripke meant to bore us and I for one was rather bored by some aspects of this episode and judging from comments I have read on other SN-related forums, I'm not the only one. But then again I'm not a hardcore fan of classic horror movies so that might be why. And I almost always prefer content over style.
              Heh, I guess we frequent different sites, most people I knew were practically orgasmic over the horror movie style of the episode. But the episode definitely splits the audience, there are a lot of people who prefer mytharc episodes over MotW, especially if it is as off-the-wall as this one. The episode was meant to amuse us, which in my case it definitely did!

What is it with me and the 5th episode of any Supernatural season? Apart from possibly Bloody Mary, I was not particularly fond of any of the 5th episodes whereas I absolutely loved all 4th episodes of all Supernatural seasons. Weird!!!
              ROFL well since this was intended to be the 3rd it kinda breaks your pattern. You didn't love Simon Said?! :eek: I have that pattern with the 2nd episode of each season: Wendigo, ELAC and TKAA were definitely on the bottom list of episodes for each season for me. 'Are you there God' kinda broke that pattern as well. Although I have to admit that ELAC grew on me indefinitely over the years.

Comment

Ok have to say very good episode...It's like an old horror film which kinda made me think it was gonna be crap but they pulled it off..Loved deans little crack about seeing as he came back with none of his old scars his virginity must be intact too hehehehe. The mina harker reference threw me a bit if dean's such a horror movie fan why'd he need Sam to inform him of that little bit of information hmmm bit of a stuff up me thinks but yeah..all around a good episode..and DAMN!! Dean looks drop dead gorgeous in a suit..not that he doesn't all the time hehehehehe

Cheers Joss
                spuffy4life
                Hellmouth Tourist
                Last edited by spuffy4life; 22-10-08, 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
                Fire bad tree pretty

Comment

Heh, I guess we frequent different sites, most people I knew were practically orgasmic over the horror movie style of the episode.
                  Oh some people loved it, there is no doubt about it but there were also some people who said that they were bored by this episode and, like me, felt torn out of the flow of the season. Or who found it funny and cute but said that it wasn't an episode that really stays with you very long.

But the episode definitely splits the audience, there are a lot of people who prefer mytharc episodes over MotW, especially if it is as off-the-wall as this one.
                  Yup and I guess you know in which camp I belong.

The episode was meant to amuse us, which in my case it definitely did!
                  I'm not denying that there were some funny scenes but personally I found Hollywood Babylon (which you dislike ) much funnier.

ROFL well since this was intended to be the 3rd it kinda breaks your pattern.
                  Ooops yes, forgot about that. Still, it aired as the 5th episode.

You didn't love Simon Said?! :eek:
                  Well I liked it a lot better than Monster Movie but no I didn't love it completely, not one of my favourite season 2 episodes.

I have that pattern with the 2nd episode of each season: Wendigo, ELAC and TKAA were definitely on the bottom list of episodes for each season for me. 'Are you there God' kinda broke that pattern as well. Although I have to admit that ELAC grew on me indefinitely over the years.
                  I'm with you on not liking Wendigo and ELAC that much (although the brotherly scenes are fantastic in that episode! ) but I really like TKAA and AYTGIDW? (is that the official acronym?).

Comment

(...) felt torn out of the flow of the season.
                    Well, that's always a given with these kind of episodes, no matter in which place it had aired, it wouldn't have really fit with the flow. I mean, even normal MotW episodes usually add to the character progression or open up a distinct parallel to the character arcs or something similar, they are never fully out of context even if they don't move the plot like a mytharc episode does. Ghostfacers or Monster Movie though are so off the wall that they don't even maintain that element.

I'm not denying that there were some funny scenes but personally I found Hollywood Babylon (which you dislike ) much funnier.
                    I am more forgiving nowadays towards HB but it will always be one of the worst SN episodes for me, it's one of the occasions where I will never be able to shake off my initial hatred for the episode.

Well I liked it a lot better than Monster Movie but no I didn't love it completely, not one of my favourite season 2 episodes.
                    Wasn't in my Top10 for that season either but I really loved it AND it was a mytharc episode.

I'm with you on not liking Wendigo and ELAC that much (although the brotherly scenes are fantastic in that episode! ) but I really like TKAA and AYTGIDW? (is that the official acronym?).
                    Nowadays I love ELAC but I remember that I wasn't impressed when I saw it the first time around, despite the fact that Dean smashing the Impala was (and still is) one of the most powerful scenes in the show for me. The brotherly interaction won out over the long haul with that episode for me.

ROFL AYTGIMDW is way, way better than the full episode title (which is my least favourite SN episode title btw), so I declare that acronym official.

Comment

Well, that's always a given with these kind of episodes, no matter in which place it had aired, it wouldn't have really fit with the flow. I mean, even normal MotW episodes usually add to the character progression or open up a distinct parallel to the character arcs or something similar, they are never fully out of context even if they don't move the plot like a mytharc episode does. Ghostfacers or Monster Movie though are so off the wall that they don't even maintain that element.
                      Okay you got a point. I guess with season 4 it's quite a unique situation because I don't think we ever had 4 mytharc-heavy episodes in a row and I really liked that a lot, it made feel so excited about season 4, it was like a rush (and still is). So with Monster Movie being thrown into the mix, it kinda felt like a rude awakening to me.

I am more forgiving nowadays towards HB but it will always be one of the worst SN episodes for me, it's one of the occasions where I will never be able to shake off my initial hatred for the episode.
                      I guess we all have episodes like that (for me, it's Bugs or Playthings). Even the best of shows can't always produce episodes which we all adore.

Wasn't in my Top10 for that season either but I really loved it AND it was a mytharc episode.
                      Touch?! I liked the parallels between the two pairs of brothers but I really hated the evil twin (what was his name again?) and the scene where he tries to rape Tracy makes me really uncomfortable. I know it's supposed to but I still don't like it.

Nowadays I love ELAC but I remember that I wasn't impressed when I saw it the first time around, despite the fact that Dean smashing the Impala was (and still is) one of the most powerful scenes in the show for me. The brotherly interaction won out over the long haul with that episode for me.
                      Initially I hated ELAC (maybe because clowns really creep me out) but I came to appreciate its good sides over time, especially that Dean scene you mentioned.

ROFL AYTGIMDW is way, way better than the full episode title (which is my least favourite SN episode title btw), so I declare that acronym official.
                      Yeah that episode name is not a favourite of mine either. Plus it's too damn long!

Oops I guess we have gone a bit off topic.

Comment

Working...
                      X