Season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 1

I don't want to drag this forum back to the stone age because of how late I'm coming to Supernatural but I'm just watching it from the start (the last episode I saw was Dead In The Water) and I love it!

It's so much scarier than I expected, and it reminds me if the old monster of the week episodes of Buffy which I used to love so much - straight up story telling with barely any subplot meaning you could just watch and enjoy.

I've also seen Ghostfacers from Season 3 which I thought was outstanding!
    What are you gonna do? Make me some more eggs?

Livejournal
    Alan Tudyk Dot Net

New viewers are always welcome, so don't worry! Supernatural certainly profits from watching it from the start and in chronological order because of its slowly unfolding storyarc, which gets more complex as they go along. Unlike Buffy Supernatural has no seasonal arc but a show arc, called the mytharc, a central plotline that develops over the course of the whole show, rather than one season. They do always offer episodes to jump into the story in later seasons as well, but in my experience you are more likely to understand what's going on if you start from the Pilot.

I love S1 more standalone MotW type of episodes, but overall I prefer the epicness of the mytharc as it unfolds in seasons 2-4 and the way it connects the plot development with in depth character development. The basic set-up for the mytharc certainly takes place in S1 though. While especially the first half of season one is mostly self-contained episodes, there's the subplot of the two estranged brothers trying to reconnect running throughout it right from the start and as the show progresses you'll see that there are lots of plotlines laid out, that the show will come back to over the seasons and expand on. S1 is like the opening chapter of an incredibly epic novel and a lot of plotpoints raised in S1 find their conclusion only in later seasons.

The show surely has its fair share of spooky and gory stories. I am not all that easy to scare or gross out, but I do love the horror atmosphere that SN creates with its episodes, especially highlightened by the gritty and dark cinematography. The main pull for the show will always be the brother's complicated and layered relationship for me though!

Anyway, enjoy your watch and I hope you'll stay with it.

Comment

Glad to hear that there are some major story arcs on the way, I'm watching an episode a day at the moment so it's nice to have that episodic feel but I've been told that the story unfolds a great deal further on in the series. I'm desperate to catch up now because I know Season 4 has just started and I don't want to get spoiled with this one!

Livejournal
      Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

Originally posted by doubleshiny View Post
        Glad to hear that there are some major story arcs on the way, I'm watching an episode a day at the moment so it's nice to have that episodic feel but I've been told that the story unfolds a great deal further on in the series. I'm desperate to catch up now because I know Season 4 has just started and I don't want to get spoiled with this one!
        Ooh staying unspoiled certainly is the best route for the show because there are major twists and turns on the way and they are so much more enjoyable if you know nothing about them! I am not sure where you are but episodes like 1.09 Home or 1.14 Nightmare are the first episodes that hint at the bigger picture behind it all more clearly. The first season is all about setting the stage, getting to know the characters, set up the bigger mystery and then tangle the viewer in a huge web of developing plots. I know that there are people who would've preferred if SN would have stayed with its S1 format, but I certainly love the thickening plot.

Comment

The last episode I watched was Dead In The Water, so that's how new I am! Like I say, I did see Ghostfacers from Season 3(?), but I think that was a real stand alone episode, I didn't come across anything in it which I thought was indicative of a bigger plot (except the remark about 'having two months left'!)

Livejournal
          Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

The last episode I watched was Dead In The Water, so that's how new I am! Like I say, I did see Ghostfacers from Season 3(?), but I think that was a real stand alone episode, I didn't come across anything in it which I thought was indicative of a bigger plot (except the remark about 'having two months left'!)
            Ask no more questions if you want to stay unspoiled! As Galathea says, it is far better to watch the show with no foreknowledge, to allow the course of events to play out before you in the proper order.

I am tremendously fond of season one. I return to it over and over, like an old friend. So many fabulous episodes - funny, touching, dramatic, informative. It can be a real rollercoaster ride along the way - I'm sure you will continue to enjoy it enormously

Comment

Heh, yeah, Ghostfacers wasn't only a standalone it was also almost completely from an outsider's point of view AND played with a different format, the reality tv format, so that was probably the only safe episode from further seasons to watch .. well, apart from the 2 months remark!!

Dead in the Water was the first episode that drew me in, mainly because it showed first glimpses into the depths of the character of Dean Winchester and because we see how little Sam really knows his brother and the way it throws him. Plus it has some really cinematographic shots!

Comment

I don?t remember season 1 very well because I saw it a long time ago. And also, I haven?t seen everything but it?s pretty good. Maybe I?ll check it out, now that you brought it up. Yeah, I?m gonna watch Supernatural again.

Comment

I have watched the first episode, and I really liked it. I was really surprised by how scary it was, I wouldn't have wanted to watch alone! I think I've seen the second one two, a long time ago. Def planning a big watch.

Comment

Wow, a whole bunch of new converts. Excellent!

I always find it fascinating to see how differently we all react to the same show(s). How something can be terrifying to one person while another doesn't so much as blink. For me, Supernatural can be very creepy, and is always highly intense on a psychological level, but I rarely find it scary, per se.

Be interesting to see how you all continue to react to the show - do keep posting your thoughts and impressions

Comment

I think the makeup and effects are great, that's what made it scary/creepy for me. The woman in white episode especially had really great effects, and the child in Dead In The Water looked so creepy and realistic.

There are some bits of Ghostfacers that I still can't get out of my head, for someone who watches TV constantly that's quite unusual, but it's shaping up to be a great show.

Livejournal
                      Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

Isn?t Amy Acker in Dead in the Water? I also remember seeing Alonna Tai (Meg from VM) in the show. Maybe in S2?

What I really like is that some episodes are really scary and the tension between the brothers is pretty good.

Comment

Yeah, Amy Acker played the mum in Dead In The Water. I can't wait to watch the whole season this weekend. I thought I had the will power to stretch it out over a month or so but apparently not!

Livejournal
                          Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

I just watched 'Dead in the water' and I was really impressed. For one thing, it's always nice to see Amy Acker, it really thrills me that we'll see her in Dollhouse.

Generally I feel in this episode we're getting to know the vibe of the two boys a little more, I start to understand why much of this forum is a little obsessed. Still, when I look at Sam, I still see rory-obsessed-dean from Gilmore Girls, but I'm looking forward to that changing.

I generally found this episode less scary than the previous two- for the first one especially, I wouldn't have wanted to watch it home alone!

Comment

I finished the whole of Season 1 yesterday so, here goes, for all of those who have seen it...

Spoiler:
                              Oh my God! Great last three episodes, and the car crash at the end really made me jump! I know that Sam and Dean are going to be back in the next season but I don't know if their Dad will so I'm trying not to get spoiled! The other episode I loved was Provenance, it was so creepy.

I'm now off to Play to get Season 2, and I am officially hooked!

Livejournal
                              Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

I watched the entire first season and didn't like it. I kept comparing it to Buffy. Things like the smaller main cast, the humor was more pop culturish, etc.

Than my friend started watching it at my house and somehow I started getting it. I really love the show now. s1 and s2 are really close quality wise... hard to say which I like more.

Comment

Originally posted by assydingo View Post
                                  I watched the entire first season and didn't like it. I kept comparing it to Buffy. Things like the smaller main cast, the humor was more pop culturish, etc.

Than my friend started watching it at my house and somehow I started getting it. I really love the show now. s1 and s2 are really close quality wise... hard to say which I like more.
                                  I think Supernatural is a show that is always going to suffer if it is compared to something like Buffy, which, although belonging to the same genre, is a different style of show completely. By which I mean that anyone who comes to Supernatural expecting it to be like Buffy is always going to be disappointed. Buffy is an ensemble show revolving around a central eponymous character, while Supernatural is, essentially, a buddy show, revolving around the partnership of the two main characters. The two shows have completely different themes and settings - basically, they have nothing in common whatsoever.

Doesn't mean either one is better than the other. Just that they are too different for comparisons to really be drawn.

Also...you think Buffy's humour isn't pop culturish?

Anyway I'm really glad that you have learned to appreciate Supernatural for what it is. Seasons one and two are both awesome, in very different ways. And season three, although weaker in general, also has many good qualities, while season four is off to a flier already!

Comment

Yeah but its sometimes hard not to compare, especially when the show has similar aspects. It wasn't fair to the show but yeah... now I love both.

I haven't seen the new episodes. Might wait till s4 is on blu-ray. I own s1-3 =].

Comment

I actually think it's quite similar in sensibility to Buffy - I like the buddy movie/road movie thing, it works for me, and it means that the stories and situations present themselves and you don't feel like there's a lot of backstory being hauled around. I actually like the one shots where you can concentrate on the relationship between Sam and Dean.

Livejournal
                                      Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

The route 66 thing means a lot of episodes are standalones and generally I dislike that. Like with X Files, some episodes are incredibly interesting and well-done and others are just blah. But even in the weaker Supernatural episodes it's never dull because of the interplay with Sam and Dean.

It's currently my friend's favorite show. It's pretty high up there for me also.

Comment

Working...
                                        X