A new watcher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new watcher.

After tons of thinking I decided to start watching Supernatural.

So, I watched the pilot, and I actually like it. I didn't expect that, cause I had heard some stuff like the show can be reptitive, etc. And I can see how it can lead to a pattern. They are always searching after their dad under the same circumstances. I hope it won't.

So, any thoughts, advices for a new watcher?

Josh
    Josh
    prog purtian nutjob
    Last edited by Josh; 24-06-08, 05:47 PM.
    Tumblr

Repetitive?

Many shows are formulaic, and Supernatural does have certain trends that the episodes tend to follow, but I've never found it repetitive. The mytharc is constantly developing and being expanded upon, and the ongoing search for John is actually dealt with and wrapped up relatively early in the series. What the show is really about is dealing with a new urban legend or other kind of supernatural danger every episode, and what these adventures reveal about the characters, whose development throughout the show is awesomely consistent.

Advice for a new watcher? Simply this: keep watching! And also keep both eyes and mind open. This is a show that really lends itself to multiple viewings, as hindsight constantly adds new depth and facets to previous episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Grey View Post

So, I watched the pilot, and I actually like it. I didn't expect that, cause I had heard some stuff like the show can be reptitive, etc. And I can see how it can lead to a pattern. They are always searching after their dad under the same circumstances. I hope it won't.

Josh
      Uhm, my advice: Enjoy the show!

There's really nothing more one can say. Either you enjoy it or you don't. John's disappearance and Sam and Dean's search for him is only the trigger to get his estranged sons together on the road again. It's the starting point of the show and will be a theme in S1, from where on the mytharc (the overall show arc) will unfold. The structure of SN is similar to the X Files. A mix between stand-alone episodes and mytharc episodes. Unlike Buffy/Angel who have seasonal arcs, the arc of SN reaches over all seasons and takes a lot of time to develop.

It's basically a buddy show and no ensemble show, it is centered around the story of Sam and Dean and it's most likely that you connect with the show if you manage to connect with the characters. If you don't watch it for its (excellent) character work you might still enjoy the horror themed episodes or the mytharc as a whole. It all depends on your viewing habits and preferences. You need to bring some patience since storylines often take a while to play out, the show has a very slow build-up, but it's very good with following through and bringing storylines to a close.

Most of all, make up your own opinion and don't let yourself be influenced by others. People like different things and what to some may look like repetition, is the built of parallels and theme exploration for others. Granted, S1 is pretty formulaic with the MotW episodes, especially in the first half, but like many shows they had to find their footing first before they could weave it together to the fine story that it is now.

Comment

So it's just a matter of the show being formulaic? Allrighty then
        I didn't develop an opinion cause I only watched one episode, but I'm sure that good things will come. Also, the music is awesome. lol.

But what do you enjoy best? The horror, or the charecters work? I mean, how horrifying can it be, anyways?

Josh.
        Tumblr

Comment

I didn't develop an opinion cause I only watched one episode, but I'm sure that good things will come. Also, the music is awesome. lol.

But what do you enjoy best? The horror, or the charecters work? I mean, how horrifying can it be, anyways?

Josh.
          The show isn't formulaic at all, only S1 is for a great part because of the MotW structure. Later on they manage to loosen the structures up more.

I am obsessed with Supernatural for one reason: the characters. I have rarely seen 2 better developed characters on tv; character development and integrity is the element in which SN outshines any other show for me. It's very carefully plotted and nearly every story element reflects back on the characters, their dynamics or individual problems. I love how SN constantly reflects on its own themes and loves to play with parallels and mirrors, which is one of the reasons why rewatching is so much fun, because many paralls and themes only reveal themselves with hindsight. I just love how the creators took a gory horror show and made it at heart a family drama!

I enjoy the mytharc very much, it's an intense and thrilling ride and the way they manage to draw together the different storylines and clues they drop every other episodes into a mostly coherent epic saga is just awesome, especially given under how much restraints the show has to operate (budget, network interferences). Again, the plotting is done really well with the mytharc and they resolve plotlines while they built up new one's, so the story is in a permanent state of development and each step of the journey logically follows the ones that preceded it, that's also particularly true for the character's development.

The fantastic cinematography and the classic rock soundtrack are only the icing on the cake!

I am personally not easily shocked, so the scare-factor isn't all that high for me, but I think that's different for everybody. I know people who find SN terrifying. It can be pretty gory from time to time, but it also has classic scare moments. Just depends on what your personal fears are.
          galathea
          Roadie
          Last edited by galathea; 24-06-08, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I think the development of the charecters in a show is very importent, cause then it's kind of boring, so that's good to hear.

Not much that i can say. I'll just have to see and form an opinion of my own.

But one more question:
            If Sam was on the road, haunting demons with his family, when did he go to school? And more importently, how did he get into Stanford?
            Tumblr

Comment

But one more question:
              If Sam was on the road, haunting demons with his family, when did he go to school? And more importently, how did he get into Stanford?
              Sam left his family to go to Stanford in 2001, when he was 18 years old. Despite their nomadic lifestyle Sam managed to score high grades at school and got accepted at Stanford as a result. We have to assume that sporadically John at least took bigger periods of time to stay at one place to allow for Sam and Dean to attend school and pass their tests, while he went onto hunts, with Dean taking care of himself and his brother.

Comment

And keep an eye out for several Buffy actors, if you watched seas 1 of Charmed or season 2, there's a charmed guest actor in that episode too, won't say who incase you don't want to know yet.

And the show is good, I am like galathea, the show isn't too scary for me, it's just enough. Although some episodes do get creepy especially ones with little children who are evil ghosts.

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
                Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

Josh
                  Supernatural is a great series. I've been watching since '05, and while season one and two are superior to season three (in my opinion), they are all great quality. They have some fantastic guest stars from Buffy/Angel, like Amber Benson, Amy Acker and Mercedes McNab. They also have Ben Edlund on their writing/producing staff, who was a writer/producer on Angel, he is awesome.

I always say this is how I imagine the Faith the Vampire Slayer series would have been. Tim Minear said Faith would have been constantly on the move, much like the brothers, and have the authorities after them, another similarity. I view this show as more Angel than Buffy because it is thematically darker. It also lacks the self aware humour and sarcasm that Buffy and Angel both had. But that's not too bad.

All in all, it's the only show on tv now that is reminiscent of Buffy and Angel for me. That's the reason I started watching. Now that it's really started to hit it's stride, it stands alone as a great series. It's similar storytelling to Buffy and Angel, as you need to watch it from the beginning to really appreciate it.

Comment

Josh.
                    I kinda feel I'm being misquoted here. I didn't say that SN was formulaic - I was trying to make the point that every show has a particular structure and format within which the writers tend to work, especially in the early days as they find their feet. Then once established, it is easier for the writers to play around with those structures.

For me, the character work is the bedrock of the show and what keeps me coming back season after season. I don't really find the show all that scary, although it does have some majorly creeptastic moments, but I know other people do find the horror elements rather terrifying. But for me, it is all about the characters and their incredibly consistent development, and the ongoing story.

But really, everyone reacts to shows differently, and has different aspects that they look out for and enjoy, so the best advice anyone can give is to just keep watching and make up your own mind

Comment

I get it now. It's OK. No need to defend the show, since I'm not exactly attacking

So far I've watched two more episodes and I liked what I see. I like the relationship between the two of them, but it's too soon to see where it's going.
                      Tumblr

Comment

I get it now. It's OK. No need to defend the show, since I'm not exactly attacking

So far I've watched two more episodes and I liked what I see. I like the relationship between the two of them, but it's too soon to see where it's going.
                        I think that's all any of us want. For new viewers to watch the show without any preconceived notions or worse, looking for reasons to call it substandard or average.

Perhaps more than anyone, I realize how strong some of us feel about SN and that being on a Buffy/Angel forum, SN is constantly being compared as not as brilliant. Though I believe over the years that general opinion has slipped away, we instinctively do rush to protect our show.

By pattern/formula, SN does typically have a structure of:
                        • monster and victim teaser
                        • title card
                        • episode
                        • boys final words to each other (usually in Impala or hotel).

But what happens within is not "formulaic", which is in hollywood is probably one of the bigger insults to any creative product.

I hope you enjoy the show. And I do look forward to seeing your thoughts on the show as you go through it. And do not worry, they are not always just searching for their dad.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Llywela View Post
                          Advice for a new watcher? Simply this: keep watching! And also keep both eyes and mind open. This is a show that really lends itself to multiple viewings, as hindsight constantly adds new depth and facets to previous episodes.
                          AGREED! I just started Supernatural myself mid June (and I'm not half way through season 3. . . ) So once it picks up it keeps on riding that wave! Though season 2 takes one or two detours...

Comment

Working...
                          X