Season One Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
    How good are the commentaries? I've been looking forward to hearing insights from Paquin and Moyer about their roles. Does Lizzie Caplan do any of them?
    I enjoyed the commentaries, though Anna was much better then Stephen at giving little tidbits, but it was worth it. Plus, hearing the director talk about why he chose to do things certain ways versus what was in the script was fun. I don't recall Lizzie Caplan doing commentary though....At least I don't think she did.

Comment

• Blaster, I just think fangs look cooler in the canine position, what can I say. "True Blood" vampires are still very awesome, though. Especially love that they glamour.

Wenj, I'm a big commentary fan, so I'm glad that there are good commentaries there.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

• I want to listen to the commentaries so bad! I don't have the dvds yet 'cause I am BROKE but I have put them on my wedding gift registry. I really love listening to commentaries for shows and movies I like a lot. I love to hear the creative process behind putting it together.
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

• That's one thing I'll say for the Jossverse, they usually don't skimp on commentary. I was worried that, being an HBO show, they would be cheap with them, like "Big Love" -- season 1, $90 bucks, 1 commentary?
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

• Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
            That's one thing I'll say for the Jossverse, they usually don't skimp on commentary. I was worried that, being an HBO show, they would be cheap with them, like "Big Love" -- season 1, $90 bucks, 1 commentary?
            Ew. Well, I wish there were more commentaries, especially for 1.06-1.09, my favorites eps of the season, but no. Still, I love what they gave, just wished for more. Maybe next season we'll get more goodies, like deleted scenes, maybe some gag reels...don't these people know what we want to see?!?!

Comment

• Anyone interested in watching the "A Taste of True Blood" special with Alan Ball, you can get it on iTunes for free. I got it through my TB HBO podcast feed. It's mostly a recap special but if anyone wants to check it out...

My mom watched it because she hasn't seen the show but I was letting her borrow the books.
              sigpic
              follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                Anyone interested in watching the "A Taste of True Blood" special with Alan Ball, you can get it on iTunes for free. I got it through my TB HBO podcast feed. It's mostly a recap special but if anyone wants to check it out...

My mom watched it because she hasn't seen the show but I was letting her borrow the books.
                She gets you hooked on Twilight, so you get back at her with SVS?! That's great! Well, I think she will probably enjoy this as much if not more, since it's a little more....mature. Wonder if she'll be an Eric addict like the rest of us

Thanks for pointing out the TB thing on iPod, my friend wanted to see it so that works out perfectly!

Comment

• Originally posted by wenj View Post
                  She gets you hooked on Twilight, so you get back at her with SVS?! That's great! Well, I think she will probably enjoy this as much if not more, since it's a little more....mature. Wonder if she'll be an Eric addict like the rest of us

Thanks for pointing out the TB thing on iPod, my friend wanted to see it so that works out perfectly!
                  Ah, yes. She was mentioning that she didn't think Bill--or Eric! *gasp*--was very attractive on the show. And I was like "just wait!" And then I relayed my thoughts about how Eric is the Spike of the Sookieverse and that by book 3--of not sooner--she will love him. I know she will. I know my mom's type.

Cool, glad to be of service! I was surprised to find it already downloaded for me in my iTunes so I thought I would share.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah, yes. She was mentioning that she didn't think Bill--or Eric! *gasp*--was very attractive on the show. And I was like "just wait!" And then I relayed my thoughts about how Eric is the Spike of the Sookieverse and that by book 3--of not sooner--she will love him. I know she will. I know my mom's type.
                    Eric, on the show, not attractive?!?! Whoa. Has she seen him without the long hair? For this season?........Yes, I think she will come to our way of thinking, quite quickly after reading the novels

Comment

• Yes I felt inclined to tell her about the hair and how the wigs weren't all that great. That's why I said "just wait!" Because his short hair?! Yes, very
                      sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, the wigs are kinda bad. Even Arelene's isn't great....though according to the commentary it is the same wig Paltrow wore in Iron Man. It didn't look that bad in that. *shrugs*

Comment

• TV wigs, hmmm. I try not to fret too much over them. For some reason they always look so much better in the movies. Lost, for example, basically has a long-running history of infamously bad wigs! At this point, I think they do it on purpose because we are expecting it! Thankfully those are usually confined to the flashback portions. For a major character to always be in a wig isn't such a great idea. Alex looks much better without it. I don't find Arlene's too bad though! Perhaps a bit overly shiny. It does indeed come off as a bit synthetic.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I think that has a lot to do with it...plus, I think it's just a touch too red...though Arlene is suppose to dye it, but still. Coke can red does nothing for me But, yeah, I guess that and they don't really put exactly the same effort into them. But, I completely agree, main characters shouldn't be in wig all the time.

Comment

• Okay so I admit I'm late to the True Blood party since season 2 just started but it was an impulse buy at Target yesterday and I just finished my marathon so I thought I might as well post about season 1.

First off, I'm actually very happy I bought this show. I didn't know anything about it besides you know... vampires are in it, but it was rather good. I know some of you guys in the VIP thread were saying episode 6 is where it starts to get good but I have to say I didn't really notice a difference. I thought it was great all around. Maybe it was just time for a new vampire show for me.

Second, holy hell do I have horrible choices in characters! I mean come on, why did they have to do that to Adelle? Her and Bill were adorable together. She was always so giddy and excited to talk to him and she wasn't really affected at all when it came to learning he was a vamp. She was just an open and warm person. It's just so damn sad what they did to her. I wanted more Bill/Adelle interaction. And then the cutie pie Cajun that I found adorable ended up being the killer!!!!!! :eek: Unfair. Now all I'm left with is being able to stare at Jason and let's be honest, that'll get boring after awhile. You can only stare at his 6 pack for so long before the boredom sets in.

Third, why do they have to pronounce Sookie like that because it is still irritating me. I thought I would get over it about halfway through but no. Every time they say her name it makes me think of the saying "ahhh, sookie sookie now" EVERY! TIME! And I'm not a big fan of the fangs either; they're a little too snake like for me but I can deal with it.

And if any of that needs to be spoiler tagged, let me know.
                              T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

• YAY! Another one falls in love! Glad you liked it! And don't worry about the spoiler tags. S1 has been over for a very long time.

Now you just need to read the books because they are even better!
                                sigpic

Comment

• Yeah I assumed I didn't need spoiler tags but you never know!

And I was actually wondering about the books. Are they the same story that's being told on the show or is it like a prequel to what's now going on? Because if it's the same story that might take the joy away from the twists revealed in the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by holypotatoes View Post
                                    And I was actually wondering about the books. Are they the same story that's being told on the show or is it like a prequel to what's now going on? Because if it's the same story that might take the joy away from the twists revealed in the show.
                                    Well the first season follows the first book kind of closely. There are significant changes though. Like Tara isn't even in the first book and Jessica doesn't exist in any of them. For example.

But I can tell you after seeing the first ep of season 2.....season 2 will not be following the books as closely as 1 did. AT ALL.

So it shouldn't take away your enjoyment from either.

Plus, I dare you not to fall in love with Eric!
                                    sigpic

Comment

• Never joined in here before, but I gotta say I looooove True Blood. Season 2 hasn't started here yet, but really looking forward to it.

To be honest with you I'm not even a big fan of most of the vampire plotlines... I don't mind Sookie and Bill (I really enjoyed the one where Bill talked to the DGD and had flashbacks to his own making), but the only other vampire I've been able to stand so far is Stephen Root's character (whose name escapes me right now) because he was genuinely likeable and I really liked the Jason/Amy storyline. Eric and Pam may be very nice to look at, but I find them both highly annoying, and I was extremely annoyed by Zeljko Ivanek's character, the vampire magister who Bill was tried by. I do think it takes away somewhat from the "vampires as a minority" metaphor when the majority of the vampires actually are killing machines who treat humans as lower animals. What's funny is that Sookie spends the entire season nagging Bon Temps about how close-minded and racist they are when by the end of the season I would without a doubt say that the humans treat the vampires better than the vampires treat the humans.

I think what I love most about the show is the Louisana setting. The credits are AMAZING. The song is so fitting in its blurring of violence and sex, and the credits shots so perfectly juxtapose images of birth, death, religion and sexuality in a way that also encompasses gender and race roles in the South. And every episode I laugh at "GOD HATES FANGS". Subtle metaphor there...

Tara is by far my favourite character, perfect blend of wit and emotional turmoil... Rutina Wesley is a brilliant actress and her plotline got consistently more interesting. Adina Porter, who plays her mother, is also an amazing actress -- so raw, extremely powerful and truly terrifying in some scenes. After episode 4 or 5 (I think it was) I had a theory that she might be the killer (something about the flashback in which Jason as a child doesn't let her get to Tara) but I let go of that during the fake exorcism plotline. Their storyline also got even better when it led to Michelle Forbes, one of my favourite actors ever, being introduced... which is probably why I'm so eagerly anticipating season 2, I cannot wait to see where they take this (demon?) plotline.

I really like Jason, probably because I think the dumb screwups are always more interesting characters. As much as I would hate Amy as a person I really enjoyed her presence on the show and I really like how the seemingly tangential plotline ended up going back to the Jason-as-a-murder-suspect story. I like Bill, but he is definitely a limited character. Sam I'm not so fond of (maybe it's because I'm not a dog person?) but I do like the fact that he's holding on tightly to so many secrets.

As for the supporting characters, I love Arlene, I think she's hilarious but also generates a lot of pathos. I picked Rene as the killer around episode 7 or 8, so I wasn't shocked and certainly wasn't attached to him. Lafayette was extremely funny but I felt he lost a bit of steam in the second half of the season... still, it will be shame if he's the one that's dead. I absolutely love Maxine Fortenberry, she's hardly in it but everything in her characterisation is dead-on hilarious. Terry Bellefleur is a nice character, Andy not as likeable but certainly fun to watch. I was sad when Gran died, I really liked her worldview.

Definitely a fun show. I gotta say I'm more in it for the humans than I am for the vampires. And is it just me or does every second episode end with Sookie screaming?

Comment

Well the first season follows the first book kind of closely. There are significant changes though. Like Tara isn't even in the first book and Jessica doesn't exist in any of them. For example.

But I can tell you after seeing the first ep of season 2.....season 2 will not be following the books as closely as 1 did. AT ALL.

So it shouldn't take away your enjoyment from either.

Plus, I dare you not to fall in love with Eric!
                                        Maybe I'll be taking a trip to the library soon.

So far Eric is pretty annoying on the show so there better be something in the books that makes me fall for him. I was starting to wonder what the big deal was with Eric in all of your guys' fanart. I'm like, he's not even one of the main characters.

Originally posted by Kold View Post
                                        but the only other vampire I've been able to stand so far is Stephen Root's character (whose name escapes me right now) because he was genuinely likeable and I really liked the Jason/Amy storyline.
                                        Wasn't his name Eddie?

Comment

• well Kold, first off, I tried to rep you but I couldn't yet. You are one my favorite posters because you are so thoughtful about various fandoms. You always brought such great insights to the BSG thread so I am happy tou are TB fan too!

I think you may be the first to bring up Adina Porter but I wholeheartedly agree! My lord, she is quite an actress! She really sells that character to me. Intense and tortured. Angry and hopeful. She is fabulous!

I hope we get more Terry with season 2--I think we will!--because I like him a lot. Quirky and haunted by his past, but he's also one of the sweetest people. I especially love his bit in the finale where he tells Sookie people should listen to him. I bet there;s some truth in that!

Gran's death is indeed sad. But it is also a catalyst for the entire series. I rmember AB talking about how they really didn't want to lose he but it was necessary that they did. Her death is a pivotal moment in Sookie's life.

haha, Sookie does scream a lot.

I honestly am not a vampire genre fan overall. But it's weird because I like a lot fo stuff with vampires in them. But it isn't the vamp mthology that draws me; it's the people and their stories. And that goes all the way back to Buffy. It wasn't about vampires at all. It was a heroine's journey. And a lot fo the vamp fandoms I have ben enjoying over the years share that commonailty.

Originally posted by holypotatoes View Post
                                          So far Eric is pretty annoying on the show so there better be something in the books that makes me fall for him. I was starting to wonder what the big deal was with Eric in all of your guys' fanart. I'm like, he's not even one of the main characters.
                                          He becomes a much bigger character in the books after the first one. In fact, he's around quite a bit!
                                          Wasn't his name Eddie?
                                          Yep!
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X