2.16 Some Must Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.16 Some Must Sleep

Oh, wow. A brilliant episode, bringing to light many tiny threads that we've seen woven into the background of so many episodes.

I find it particularly well placed after last week's Desert Cantos where such a big deal was made about how these people were "sleepwalking" through life and how that since on the surface they could assume life was normal they chose to accept that reality and ignore the dark things lurking beneath.

I don't have time for a full analysis, but I've seen a lot of discussion already in the VIP about whether the sleep clinic storyline should have been revealed as a fake storyline. I personally thought it vital to the episode and theme of the series. What about everyone else?

Lydia made the punch!

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    Oh, wow. A brilliant episode, bringing to light many tiny threads that we've seen woven into the background of so many episodes.
    I couldn't agree more! This was one of the richest and most complex TSCC episodes ever and I love the writers for having the guts to letting the viewers think for themselves. Of course they totally tricked me (even though several things were bugging me about the sleep clinic world) so kudos to them for weaving the two storylines together so perfectly.

I find it particularly well placed after last week's Desert Cantos where such a big deal was made about how these people were "sleepwalking" through life and how that since on the surface they could assume life was normal they chose to accept that reality and ignore the dark things lurking beneath.
    I haven't thought of it like that but that's such a good point!

I don't have time for a full analysis, but I've seen a lot of discussion already in the VIP about whether the sleep clinic storyline should have been revealed as a fake storyline. I personally thought it vital to the episode and theme of the series. What about everyone else?
    Personally I was glad that the sleep clinic storyline turned out to be the dream world. As mentioned above, there were a few things bugging me about this world. First of all, I thought it was kinda bizarre that Sarah Connor would actually check into such a sleep clinic at all, that she would put her own welfare above protecting John (even if she was mostly there because John convinced her). Secondly, was it just me or were John and Cameron overtly flirty in this episode? As soon as I knew that the sleep clinic storyline was the dream, it all made so much more sense, Cameron's flirtiness and John's going along with it symbolising Sarah's fear of John getting seduced (in every sense of the word) by Cameron. Also, when John shot the sleep clinic doctor/terminator and Sarah said "what is this thing?", that made no sense at all because in the real world Sarah would of course know exactly what that thing was.

I think the thing that confused me most and convinced me at first that the van storyline was the dream was Winston being alive. But when he talked about the company patching him up and sending him out to work again, I was getting a bit suspicious. Was this something Sarah was telling herself in her subconcious/dream to make herself feel better or was it actually the truth? It turned out to be the latter. I thought it was a remarkable character moment for Sarah when she decided to kill Winston (again). The first time around it was pure self defense, this time around she actually decided to do it and there is no going back from that.

On a minor note, I thought this was one of the most gruesome TSCC episodes yet. Sarah biting her tendon and breaking the bones in her hand to get the handcuffs off and the whole syringe in the eye thing certainly made me shudder.

I have a question for all of you here. What do you guys think Dana (the smoking patient who was burnt alive) symbolised in Sarah's dream? Someone on another forum said they thought she symbolised humanity (with all her vices and of course her horrible destruction). This theory does make sense to me but I'm curious to learn what you guys think.

Comment

I wasn't in love with at as you two. It was okay. But I wasn't looking very hard into it either so I was actually somewhat annoyed by how the storyline to seems to stall a bit. It felt very filler to me.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. It's just that it left me widely confused. All I was sure of at the end was that Sarah was abducted by someone and given some sedatives or something and then got away.

This is also yet another in a long stretch of episode where Cameron does essentially nothing. Except sashay in underwear in front of John of course! But I know she's go a big one coming up so that's cool.

So I am a bit comme ci, comme ?a overall about the episode. But again, I wasn't really analyzing a great deal about it as I watched. Cause I was lazy.
      sigpic
      follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Working...
      X