2.15 Desert Cantos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.15 Desert Cantos

It tickles me to no end that TSCC is using Skynet first beginnings as the explanation for UFO sightings and cattle mutilations. For me it is a very unexpected twist on the perception of the Terminator universe. I do look forward to further explanation of why this one guy is stealing away with the drone. Is it just for leverage/money or does he have some plot? Surely he has to realize that taking Weaver's property is going to make it even less possible for him to escape being hunted down.

I like that it was mentioned that it was John's plan to infiltrate the funeral. Good to see him with plans, even more interesting that they all seem to fall in line and go with the plan.

I do believe that if I was watching episodes one after another on dvd, I would find this a pretty little interlude from the mystery of "Earthlings" and urgent confusion of "Good Wound" to what comes next. I hope that we are leading into some heavy plot and action again with next week though. I am not sure if I feel this episode really advanced the plot much.

I liked the styling of each segment defined as Vigil, Processional, Burial, Wake, Recessional. While I do not exactly understand the reference of the title, cantos first evokes a spanish word for song in my mind. However, a quick search says that canto is also a term for a segment of poetry. So I am assuming this reference is why they decided to divide the episode into sections. I like that the show tries to think outside of the normal tv story device box.

I really am saddened that yet again the show does nothing with Cameron except have her look hot in leather and stare creepily at anyone who gets near John. In the beginning of the season, creator Friedman said he wanted to explore the perception of life from the viewpoint of her being a terminator. The first half had many episodes touching upon us understanding the way she sees the world. Self Made Man was easily a favorite episode. And in the last four, nothing.

Overall I think this was an interesting episode. I think I was most disheartened to find that the girl that John was trying to connect with was, yet again, not exactly who she said she was since she was hiding the truth of her father being alive. The deception surrounding John is immense. I wish we could see him have one real relationship with someone other than his family. John may solely hold the burden of the salvation of humanity, but I really think he needs have real connections with people now in order to motivate him with reason why he should save humanity.

Lydia made the punch!

Was I the only one bored by this episode? It may make me sound like I don't have a heart or I don't care about character, but the thing is; I DO. It's just, throughout the episode, I was going, "This is a cool conversation", and then five minutes later just being bored to death. I admit that the end picked up and I loved the storytelling where each act was a different part of the mourning process. But the actual contents of the mourning processes had me ing, probably because I didn't know anyone from the warehouse, so why am I supposed to be devastated? None of the characters grabbed me and made me feel horrible for them. It was just an okay episode. I mean, I liked some parts, but overall, it didn't really hook me. Probably a...

5/10 - okay episode

Comment

Okay, I really liked the flow of that episode, a lot, a lot.
      I thought it was put together really well and yes, on dvd, that will be awesome.

But altogether, I appreciate this as part of the whole, and hope the storytelling is going to pick up the pace a little. I also hope we get more on the Cameron side of things, we've got Weaver developing more than she is at the moment!

The nice symmetry of the mother father daughter son relationship was kind of cool, we've got a lovely balance between Sarah and Derek at the moment which I really enjoy.

Overall, I feel like Cameron is being carted around like a pet at the moment, rather than a protector-terminator. What I did like about appreciate about her character this episode was when she said the man wasn't dead, because the mother and daughter hadn't looked at the picture, and then clarified with Derek- nicely- about whether there was something she might have missed. I found that a sweet way of her making a statement and using her supersonic observey powers, but then to check whether her take on the situation was 'human'.

Comment

I actually thought this was an excellent episode. I did not find it boring in the slightest, on the contrary. I always enjoy episodes where we see Sarah, John, Derek and Cameron working together on something as a team.

IMO this episode did a good job conveying Sarah's guilt issues over killing the security guard at the plant. I like getting to see the more vulnerable side of Sarah every once in a while.

I thought it was remarkable that it was Cameron and not John or Derek who first figured out that Zoe's father may not be dead because Zoe and her mother were not looking at his picture. It's really saying something about Cameron learning more and more about the human psyche. I loved that she asked Derek point blank about Kyle and even if he refused to answer at first, he was convinced that she was right about Zoe's father when John insisted and asked the same question.

Weaver telling Ellison that she was feeling emotional just so that he would stop bugging her with his annoying questions was prizeless and made me laugh out loud. Weaver is a clever cyborg, is she. The way she took Ellison's story about his dad and told it to Savannah as if it happened to her was great. When Ellison pointed out to Weaver how strange it was that Savannah wasn't there, Weaver immediately recognised and rectified her mistake. It was good that we got to see Savannah again. I felt so sorry for that little girl again, especially when she said that Weaver's lap was cold.

There were quite a few guest stars in this episode that I recognised from other shows and that always makes me squee: for example the guy who played Henry used to be on Gilmore Girls. As did the guy who played the pastor (and how ironic is it that he also played a pastor on Gilmore Girls ). And then there was the actor who played Zoe's father. I wondered where I had seen him before because he looked so familiar and it dawned on me: he used to play Sarah's (a different Sarah) husband on Brothers & Sisters.

The scene with the drone emerging from the water and Sarah, John, Derek and Cameron all standing there looking flabbergasted was absolutely awesome! I wonder what Zoe's father's plan is now. Why did he steal the drone from the company/Weaver? As some kind of leverage? He's certainly playing a dangerous game here. I can't wait to see what happens next.

So overall I thought this was an interesting episode and I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
          I actually thought this was an excellent episode. I did not find it boring in the slightest, on the contrary. I always enjoy episodes where we see Sarah, John, Derek and Cameron working together on something as a team.
          So glad I'm not the only one to enjoy the episode! And as alluded to before, watching a show with commericals really interrupts the flow on something that is rooted in revealing overlooked emotion in the passing of normal life. So I look forward to dvd!

IMO this episode did a good job conveying Sarah's guilt issues over killing the security guard at the plant. I like getting to see the more vulnerable side of Sarah every once in a while.
          This is very true. The knowing that the husband was a bad guy trying to kill Sarah and Sarah killed him to save herself, was painfully awkward to know how to feel. You have to love Sarah for guilt being her overwhelming emotion not self righteousness. That even though there is so much bad and reason, that the person was still human enough to have a wife that cared for him. It's like looking at the mirror from both sides.

Weaver telling Ellison that she was feeling emotional just so that he would stop bugging her with his annoying questions was prizeless and made me laugh out loud. Weaver is a clever cyborg, is she. The way she took Ellison's story about his dad and told it to Amanda as if it happened to her was great. When Ellison pointed out to Weaver how strange it was that Amanda wasn't there, Weaver immediately recognised and rectified her mistake. It was good that we got to see Amanda again. I felt so sorry for that little girl again, especially when she said that Weaver's lap was cold.
          LOL! That was hilariously priceless indeed!

I'm so ashamed to admit it, but I completely missed that Weaver was retelling Ellison's story. I must have gotten distracted while Ellison was talking.

I like that Weaver is TRYING to be human. It's not that she does just for the benefit of disguise. This is something she was doing not in the presence of anyone other than the little girl who obviously knows she's not her mommy. This trying is both a little encouraging that perhaps robots want to learn compassion AND is scary that perhaps given enough time, the robots can incorporate into themselves the essence of humanity and to a point replace humans as a superior race of intelligent beings.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
            So glad I'm not the only one to enjoy the episode! And as alluded to before, watching a show with commericals really interrupts the flow on something that is rooted in revealing overlooked emotion in the passing of normal life. So I look forward to dvd!
            Oh yes stupid commercials interrupting the flow of an episode sucks. I feel fortunate that I could watch the episode without any commercials and could really get sucked into the flow and pace of the episode.

This is very true. The knowing that the husband was a bad guy trying to kill Sarah and Sarah killed him to save herself, was painfully awkward to know how to feel. You have to love Sarah for guilt being her overwhelming emotion not self righteousness. That even though there is so much bad and reason, that the person was still human enough to have a wife that cared for him. It's like looking at the mirror from both sides.
            Yes I'm glad that Sarah still feels guilt when she takes a human life, even if the person was bad. She has been through so much and this has obviously made her much harder than most people. So it's good that the show lets us know every once in a while that Sarah's humanity is still intact. I also appreciate it that the characters on the show are not shown as purely black or purely white but that even bad people can have redeeming qualities. This episode conveyed that very well IMO.

LOL! That was hilariously priceless indeed!

I'm so ashamed to admit it, but I completely missed that Weaver was retelling Ellison's story. I must have gotten distracted while Ellison was talking.
            Aww don't feel bad, I sometimes tune out during Ellison's speechifying as well.

I like that Weaver is TRYING to be human. It's not that she does just for the benefit of disguise. This is something she was doing not in the presence of anyone other than the little girl who obviously knows she's not her mommy. This trying is both a little encouraging that perhaps robots want to learn compassion AND is scary that perhaps given enough time, the robots can incorporate into themselves the essence of humanity and to a point replace humans as a superior race of intelligent beings.
            Very well put! Yes you could tell that Weaver was really trying to understand the little girl when she asked her all those questions about her father. It was striking when Weaver said to Savannah that she could always watch her father on video and Savannah then told her that this was not the same. Robots cannot grasp the concept of intimacy or being comforted by touch so of course Weaver was a bit confused here.

Comment

Yes you could tell that Weaver was really trying to understand the little girl when she asked her all those questions about her father. It was striking when Weaver said to Amanda that she could always watch her father on video and Amanda then told her that this was not the same. Robots cannot grasp the concept of intimacy or being comforted by touch so of course Weaver was a bit confused here.

I have to say, Shirley Manson has really been coming into this character. I am rather impressed with her performance. She's been able to show no emotion--as a machine would--but when she notices that she should be showing emotion she lets out a subtle look to attempt to convey humanity/ She's been pretty interesting to watch! I was skeptical at first but I have been enjoying Weaver more and more!
              sigpic
              follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I really loved this episode, though a lot of it left me with a feeling of WTF, lol.

I really liked Zoe - she was sweet and snarky, and I found myself liking another female character in relation to John more than I do Riley. I just cannot get behind her. At all. I had a glimmer of sympathy for her when she tried to kill herself ('cause I am human, after all, lol) but when she went to Jesse's apartment last ep I was back to disliking her again. Eh.

Back to the latest ep:

I'll admit to being a bit disappointed that Cameron didn't have much to do in this episode. I felt the same in the last one and though I agree that these eps are tying up other ends and I love the whole working as a four-some, it feels like she's becoming a bit spare-part-y?

Saying that, I kind of adored her line to Henry (who was an utter twat, incidentally) in the car about how Zoe didn't love him like he wanted her to. Niiiiiice. And it was interesting that she picked up on Zoe and her Mom not grieving properly before any of the 'humans' did.

I find myself liking Shirley Manson in this as the weeks go on. And though they have seemed to set her up as the 'villain' this season? I'm honestly not sure she is the big villain the way they make her out to be.

Yes, she's killing people. I know this, lol. But it's just weird how she's always trying with Savannah. Like she's trying to understand compassion, teaching John Henry morals and the meaning of human life. Why bother with all of that when what you're really only interested in is the destruction of it?

If that made any kind of sense, I shall applaud myself, lmao. It's 12.35am over here.
                Christie | layout-whore | beyond-help

CORDELIA: It's gonna be a long while until you work your way out but I know you well enough to know you *will* and I'll be with you until you do. -- Judgement

Comment

Yes I'm glad that Sarah still feels guilt when she takes a human life, even if the person was bad. She has been through so much and this has obviously made her much harder than most people. So it's good that the show lets us know every once in a while that Sarah's humanity is still intact. I also appreciate it that the characters on the show are not shown as purely black or purely white but that even bad people can have redeeming qualities. This episode conveyed that very well IMO.
                  Quickly, because I don't have much time. Just wanted to say that there is no 'still' about Sarah taking a human life - I'm pretty sure this was her first ever kill. The show made a big deal at the end of last season out of the fact that for all her hardness she had never killed anyone, and then a big deal out of the dead attacker at the start of the season, who turned out to have been killed by John, not Sarah. John's first kill. So unless I'm forgetting something major this season, this would have been Sarah's first direct kill - no wonder it hit her so hard.

re: Weaver and Savannah, I get the feeling that Weaver is a perfectionist. She wants the satisfaction of knowing that she can pull off this role absolutely perfectly, that she can truly be Catherine Weaver. Savannah is her weak spot, because there is nothing in the terminator's programming that teaches it maternal interaction with a child. So she is on a steep learning curve and is determined to crack it. Savannah is an important part of this assumed identity, after all - she's the beard, as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by Llywela View Post

re: Weaver and Savannah, I get the feeling that Weaver is a perfectionist. She wants the satisfaction of knowing that she can pull off this role absolutely perfectly, that she can truly be Catherine Weaver. Savannah is her weak spot, because there is nothing in the terminator's programming that teaches it maternal interaction with a child. So she is on a steep learning curve and is determined to crack it. Savannah is an important part of this assumed identity, after all - she's the beard, as it were.

Good point and very likely.

And I also wanted to say that--although I mentioned I am enjoying Shirley Manon's performance--I also think that the little girl who plays Savannah is really amazing. She didn't just look sad in that scene; she still appeared afraid. She has these heartbreaking eyes. The little actress does so well with the very few scenes she's been given so far. I was just going through my screencaps to upload them and I was looking at that scene and gah! She has this sweet, pure angelic face marked with fear. So, kudos to that little actress! I felt so bad for poor Savannah watching that...
                    sigpic
                    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Working...
                    X