4x14 "Hero in the Hold"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x14 "Hero in the Hold"

So what did you guys think of the episode, and of the gravedigger's identity at long last?

I thought it sucked. Definitely a huge disappointment, and seems off--I wonder if the answer given here matches up with the identity of the gravedigger accidentally given out in early epp descriptions of "Aliens" before they decided to move the discovery to another day? (Some people have known who it was since then--I wonder if they changed it?)

Also I find the whole ghost thing to be ridiculous, and I was effing confused the whole time--I thought it might be a hallucination entirely, like the ice skating thing (the toys on the ship lent themselves to such an idea, IMO), and the way the guy was touching things....blech! Does not make sense, do not want...

There were some good moments, especially as far as "there's never been a woman you loved who you didn't tell?" *silence* (I was half-hoping that he'd tell her at the end there) and the hug of course (their standard in these kinds of epps--though surprisingly they did NOT hug in "Aliens", I remember being so disappointed about that...). And it was interesting to learn more about Booth of course, and the reason he named his son Parker. And it was nice to see Jared finally redeem himself to pay his brother back for all he had done for him. But yeah, overall a blah epp, IMHO, and very disappointing. Boo.....
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

I'm with you there. These 'gotcha' plots are getting tiresome. Especially badly done ones. I thought the circus episode was bad, but it at least had plenty of Booth-Brennan banter. This dreck has replaced it as my least liked episode of the entire series.

I'm all for trying new things, but separating Booth and Brennan the whole episode so he can commiserate with a ghost -- a ghost we're clearly expected to believe is real, despite the show's realistic, grounded premise -- rather than banter with Temperence is not a formula for a good episode of Bones.
    Cordially,
    Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
    Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Okay, this is it, I will defend this episode

I loved it. I loved it, I loved it, I LOVED it. Maybe it's cause I watch too much Supernatural/Fantasy shows? Ah, it doesn't matter, cause I loved it I'll get the weak parts, IMO, out of the way right here, right now. Go Veronica Mars (random, but not that random, cause that song was in VM woo!).

THE WEAK LINK: The Gravedigger.

I mean the reveal only. I LOVED the Gravedigger's plan and all that stuff, the reveal was really the only disappointment for me. I didn't expect something great, I mean, there's been one episode before this with limited suspects, I of course thought it would be someone new they introduced in this episode. And I was right. This isn't Gormagon. We haven't followed this guy(girl) all season, and there isn't a huge build-up. I treated this as if it was a regular case of the week, cause no matter who they picked, it would have been obvious. To be quite honest, I was expecting "Parker" to be the Gravedigger Like, Parker had a twin or something crappy like that, and I'm glad that didn't happen. So, I expected to be let down, making the reveal much more painless. And luckily, that was the only major fault of the episode for me, at least.

The only other things that are a bit weird are....YOU NEED A SUSPENSION OF BELIEF. This is TV. I mean, the boat blowing up seconds after Bones said it would blow up in 9 minutes? Yes, totally unrealistic, but hey, TV, dramatic effect, roll with it. And....the ghost. The thing you all seem to be mad at it, so I will mention that.

BOOTH/PARKER AKA THE GHOST:

I fully understand why you guys disliked this storyline, but....I thought it was brilliant. The Booth/Parker interaction was a breath of fresh air, something different, and just as good as Bones/Booth witty banter, to be quite honest. I mean, I wouldn't switch the two, but can't you give up ONE episode of the same thing we see every single week for something new and unique? This is a formulaic show, but you can't do the same thing every week, you need to be unique, do something different, and the only thing that has never changed has been the Bones/Booth interaction (minus "Aliens", very little banter there too, but didn't you guys love that???), and the fact that Booth and Bones had two different storylines was great Also, Parker was hilarious. You gotta admit.

BOOTH: We gotta get through here.

PARKER: You mean the solid, metal wall?

And the ghost thing...this show is very religious, as shown with Booth and Bones. It tackles controversial topics, and in the end, it says ya gotta have a little faith (not something I entirely agree with, but hey! it's makin' a statement). This is the same thing, that ghosts might be real, not everything is scientific is measured. This may be a show rooted in reality, but are you telling me you didn't have a grin on your face in the last scene when Parker said, "Beautiful day. Makes you feel good to be alive, right?". I thought the whole idea was BEAUTIFULLY executed, and if the reason you didn't like the storyline was because it ended up to be a ghost...well, the journey was good, right? The journey is more important than the reveal. That's why we watch TV, to go on a journey. Not to jump on at the end IMO, at least.

With that said, the girl that was the Gravedigger played the Gravedigger BRILLIANTLY, loved her, and Sweets analysis. Jared finally redeemed himself, and that was wonderful. Agent Parada's (sp?) return was wonderful, she was a suspect for me, too. The explosion of the evidence, the suspense, the score, Angela's, "RUN!!!" echoing...ah, me's got some goosebumps.

Originally posted by Amuk View Post
      I'm all for trying new things, but separating Booth and Brennan the whole episode so he can commiserate with a ghost -- a ghost we're clearly expected to believe is real, despite the show's realistic, grounded premise -- rather than banter with Temperence is not a formula for a good episode of Bones.
      SERIOUSLY!?!?! Worse episode of the series? Seriously? Sorry, but that really shocks me. I expected negative reactions (due to general reactions of s4 so far), but this is just beyond me. We learned about Booth, we got humor from the ghost, we got heartfelt REAL emotion from the ghost. What did you want to see with Booth and the ghost? More humor? More emotion? I don't see what the writers did wrong with writing this episode, except for the fact that they decided to stray off the normal track and do something original.

So, to close this, let me ask you a question....did you like the journey? Looking at Sherr's reactions piece by piece in the VIP thread, she seemed to like it. Did you not? Was it the revelations that disappointed you? If so, does that truly make it a crappy episode? Or was the last thing you saw left a bad taste in your mouth? Again, love this episode. And there endeth the uber-long post trying to give the last bit of love "Bones" gets on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
        if the reason you didn't like the storyline was because it ended up to be a ghost...well, the journey was good, right? The journey is more important than the reveal. That's why we watch TV, to go on a journey. Not to jump on at the end IMO, at least.
        Well the problem is though that I did *not* like the journey (whatever you might have thought from my comments, lol. )--I was too busy being completely confused (and annoyed at feeling this way) during every Booth scene to enjoy them much, and while I can accept the occaisional peripheral ghost on the show that is left up to you to believe in or not (Cam's mother, the Witch in the Woods, even him appearing at the end and saying "Beautiful day" perhaps), I guess it's hard for me to accept a solid ghost that basically does everything for Booth--sorry, but my belief cannot be suspended that much......I found those scenes to be a little boring even. I kept wanting to get back to the rest of the team....

It's not a season 4 thing though--overall this season has been pretty good, LEAGUES ahead of season 3--there have been many great epps, such as the dog epp, the plane epp, etc. You can't blame my feelings on general negative reactions to season 4 (that would be last season! ), it's just that this episode didn't do it for me. Everyone has different tastes--for example, I happened to love/enjoy nearly every minute of the circus episode. Different strokes....

Also was I the only one reminded of that Angel epp on the submarine by this epp?
        Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Yup me, didn't help that Booth was wearing black trousers and a blouse and walking around in the dark while talking to a ghost. I think that this was a secret new episode of Angel.

I'm a bit meh, I hated it that Bones and the squints were not in panic at all. Compare that to Booth in the first gravedigger episode. But nooooo, they decide to work in the lab. And Angela had to point out that it wasn't weird that Brennen wanted to save Booth? Jeez.

I was interested in the Booth storyline, but I couldn't deal with the ghost. A hallicunation I could deal with, only when Parker started helping him with bringing stuff, I was out the story. It almost destroyed the fun of seeing serious Booth again who still has trouble with his past.

Too bad of the waste that was the gravedigger, it would be better if we spend the whole time with Booth and his journey.
          Last edited by Nina; 07-02-09, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
            SERIOUSLY!?!?! Worse episode of the series? Seriously? Sorry, but that really shocks me. I expected negative reactions (due to general reactions of s4 so far), but this is just beyond me. We learned about Booth, we got humor from the ghost, we got heartfelt REAL emotion from the ghost. What did you want to see with Booth and the ghost? More humor? More emotion? I don't see what the writers did wrong with writing this episode, except for the fact that they decided to stray off the normal track and do something original.

So, to close this, let me ask you a question....did you like the journey? Looking at Sherr's reactions piece by piece in the VIP thread, she seemed to like it. Did you not? Was it the revelations that disappointed you? If so, does that truly make it a crappy episode? Or was the last thing you saw left a bad taste in your mouth? Again, love this episode. And there endeth the uber-long post trying to give the last bit of love "Bones" gets on this forum
            Seriously. The stuff we learned about Booth was great. But this show is about rationality and cold, hard facts, not the supernatural. The interpersonal relationships provide the non-rational balance (and, in fact, are amplified by the hyperational backdrop).

The final straw:
            Spoiler:
            when the ghost talked to Brennan and she replied, proving he really was there.

Had they left it ambiguous, allowing at least the possibility that he was some deep-seated part of Booth working out an old personal issue under extreme stress, I could've accepted it. But they (and by "they," I am assuming it was Fox, not the showrunners) apparently felt that such nuance would be too much for the audience. I don't care for having my intelligence insulted, which is what that amounts to.

There are 1,001 ways they could have told us more about Booth's backstory and worked on Jared's redemption. I would be hard-pressed to think up a worse one than bringing a real ghost into it. I love this show; it's always been a cut above the usual dreck. So I hold it to a higher standard. And this episode fails to even get in the same ballpark as that standard. It's not even playing the same sport. So, yeah: Worst episode to date.
            Last edited by Amuk; 07-02-09, 06:33 PM.
            Cordially,
            Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
            Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I enjoyed it more than most probably, perhaps because since the whole Zac reveal, I've not been very invested, so bits of nonsense don't really matter too much. I did find the ghost thing distracting though. I kept wondering whether the show was suddenly going to become supernatural-based. Also, it's that woman from the Wire who's the gravedigger. Distracting also!

On the whole, having Booth and Brennan separate wasn't as interesting as having them together.

What was the motive of the gravedigger? Just money? I didn't quite get what motivated her to do it... I didn't get the sense she was a raving psycho until she did a bit of gurning after the reveal, but really, it didn't add up. Just like having Zac be evil didn't add up either.

Still enjoyed it though. Loved Bones's coat

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Okay, I liked it. Not the best ep ever but enjoyable nonetheless.

Though I will also admit that the ghost thing bothered me a bit as well. But mostly because Booth had a hallucination in the previous as well. It had me thinking he had developed some sort of neurological condition or something and that weird visions were a manifestation of some brain malfunction. Seriously. I was a bit confused. Had he not had that hallucination in the previous episode I don't think it would have bothered me as much. I mean, it's easy enough to make sense out of. (As long as you take away that huge piece of cheese at the end when Brennan talks to the ghost too. How lame was that?!) But Booth was injured and drugged, disoriented, alone. Him seeing something that isn't actually there works okay enough. And the fact the ghost was touching things works fine too, because those scenes were shown through the POV of Booth, much like the "I" in a first person narrative. We saw what Booth saw. It' doesn't make it real.

Anyway, yeah. It was okay. I guessed who the gravedigger was as soon as they said the investigator was killed in a car accident. Then again, I often guess the murderers on this show pretty early on; the mystery is certainly not why I watch it.
                sigpic
                follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I enjoyed this episode actually, I know it seemed a bit ridiculous with the ghost and all but is it really that ridiculous, seeing as a lot of people claim to have seen and spoken to ghosts. I actually liked the ghost because it gave Booth closure on Parker's death and I liked Parker too.

I was so excited about the gravedigger episode but I was a little fed up that we found out who it was this episode, I was hoping they would carry it on like Gormagon. The woman being the gravedigger was a shock and it felt like they hadn't really thought it out and just added her in at the last minute. I was also confused by her reasoning behind it all.

It wasn't the best episode but it wasn't the worst, I think the only thing that really let it down for me was that I felt the gravedigger storyline should have been dragged out a little more.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X