Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes 3.14 "A Clear and Present Danger" Spoiler Discussion

Heroes is *back* and it's awesome.

I don't know if this is Bryan Fuller's return or what, but this is just excellent. ZELJKO IVANEK as the Hunter is a great touch. Guy just brings a little menace and arrogance to any role. And what a nicely badass threat his guys pose with their somewhat-power-resistant suits.

I'm going to have a bit of trouble buying Tracy as the martyr figure if she's going to be the object of torture throughout this, seeing as she was pretty unsympathetic at the end of Volume 3.

Peter and Nathan were awesome in the total distrust. "What's the last thing you saw me do?" was so great. Although... Peter... stop hugging your male relatives.

Peter and Claire sort of steal the episode in their awesomeness -- putting Peter on a plane full of other people with powers is about as smart as Hamilton tipping off Angel about the power being in his blood. LOVED how he and Claire teamed up to kick ass. Loved that she took down one of the guards herself. And what a great way to discover that her father is playing for the wrong side (to protect her, no doubt -- Bennett's moral license to do anything).

I'm going to tell myself that Peter wanted to stay on the plane because he couldn't leave Claire and not because he was afraid since... well, he can fly.

More character-ish stuff -- I like Peter as a paramedic. But more than that, I like his dilemma. He wants to do *everything* he can to help people, without having to hide, to be a superhero. When he says "I should have been faster", or "I should have been stronger", it hints at the bitterness of having lost his powers before, but also suggests that he thinks he should have done more to reacquire as many of them as possible.

Claire rules. Best character on the show at this point.

I love Hiro and Ando and their lair. I love Ando realizing his name is the password And I definitely look forward to seeing what he does to try to track down Hiro. What would happen if Ando charged Peter -- would he absorb every power in a 5 mile radius?

Sylar was badass. He's a villain, he's not even sort of not a villain, but I was glad to see him show mercy on his adoptive father, and I couldn't help but cheer for him when he tore thought Nathan's goons.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I'm going to tell myself that Peter wanted to stay on the plane because he couldn't leave Claire and not because he was afraid since... well, he can fly.
    Can he? He said a couple of things that suggest he might not accumulate powers any more. First, when Nathan asked what he can do now, he replied, "What's the last thing you saw me do?" Then he told Claire he didn't have the strength "any more." Now, that could easily mean that he'd had all his powers taken away, but she should know that (plus, he's had months to re-acquire some and he was in Mohinder's physical presence mere hours before). So it's suggestive of another explanation.

Finally, and most importantly, after he absorbed Tracy's power, the agent he'd been wallopping was able to subdue him physically. After which, of course, he was afraid of being sucked out of the plane. The long and the short of it is, they may finally have found the solution to the persistent Overpowered Peter Problem: Serial Empathy (whenever he absorbs a power, it replaces the previous one).

I didn't like this episode nearly as much as you did. In fact, I spent half of it feeling like the showrunners are actively trying to drive me off. I've had enough of half-assed retcons and exposition substituting for demonstration. Frankly, Ando was pretty much the only thing about this episode I genuinely liked.
    Cordially,
    Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
    Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Peter and Nathan were awesome in the total distrust. "What's the last thing you saw me do?" was so great. Although... Peter... stop hugging your male relatives.

What would happen if Ando charged Peter -- would he absorb every power in a 5 mile radius?
      I know what you mean about the hugging, it just never goes well. I was half expecting Nathan to fly peter into the celing or something.

I'm not entirely sure about Peter's powers. The visual effect is different with the touching and I can't remember it perfectly but around the same time Peter touched Tracy he started getting beat up by the other guy. If he started losing just before then my idea fails, if after then it makes more sense. I think that he may only have one power at a time as he shouldn't have started to get beaten up if he had Suresh's power. It just seems a bit random to make the point about touching and the new effect otherwise.

My friend and I had a discussion about what ando can do to all the other character's abilities. Some were easy e.g. nikki would just be even stronger but some were more difficult. What would Issac do? what about claire? would she become younger etc. etc.

Talking of Issac. It seems that the future telling pictures power isn't really a normal power as we know them. This whole prophet business could be done so badly but we'll see soon enough.
      sigpic
      A Boy Named Jayne

Banner and avie by LRae12

Comment

As far as I know,
        Spoiler:
        Peter has his actual power back -- he accumulates powers again. So he can fly, he has Tracy's ice, and now he has Mohinder's strength. He probably has Claire's healing again, and possibly Flint's fire.

For him to be subdued is consistent with what we've always seen when he gets a new power -- it is out of control and disorienting. He'd had superstrength before and flight before, so he remembers how they work. The ice was new.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

io9 gives 63 Reasons to Give Heroes One More Chance. Reason 17 is the best: "More Seth Green cameos are looking highly likely, since only his character understands the show's storyline at this point."
          Cordially,
          Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

As far as I know,
            Spoiler:
            Peter has his actual power back -- he accumulates powers again. So he can fly, he has Tracy's ice, and now he has Mohinder's strength. He probably has Claire's healing again, and possibly Flint's fire.

For him to be subdued is consistent with what we've always seen when he gets a new power -- it is out of control and disorienting. He'd had superstrength before and flight before, so he remembers how they work. The ice was new.
            I'm almost certain that he can only absorb one power at a time. It fits with the "what's the last thing you saw me do", the new visual, the fact that he started losing the fight immediately after touching Tracy and taking her power.

It even puts a new spin on Peter hugging Nathan. Peter seemed pretty suspicious of Nathan all the way through their scene, like he knew exactly what was about to happen. So maybe Peter hugged Nathan in order to regain the ability to fly, planning on blasting off as soon as the agents/commandos burst into the room. He just didn't count on Noah quietly sneaking up behind him.

I loved this episode. I liked Peter more than I have this entire series. I disliked Noah more than I have this entire series. Claire was awesome. The Prophet storyline is intriguing as hell, as is the main plot. And Sylar, my man, is going to get a chance to shine. He's the Magneto of Heroes, and this sort of story is perfect for him.

Comment

I liked this episode! Maybe because it's just the first of the new volume, so things still actually make sense...
              Anyway, I think Peter's powers are definitely different. First, he has to touch the other hero to absorb their power. Does he still accumulate them? I don't think so and I really hope he doesn't. This way the writers have an excuse other than Peter's stupidity to justify his failures. (He's still stupid, though, really, hugging your evil brother after he's told you he's evil plans? You should have learned by now that's not a good idea).
              The last question remaining about Peter's powers is: does this mean he sucks them out of the previous hero forever? This would mean that also Nathan, Mohinder and Tracey are powerless.
              I liked the prophet storyline "Into every generation a prohet is born, to draw the apocalypses, the disasters and the tragedies of the future. He is... THE PAINTER!". Sorry... I couldn't stop thinking about this ever since Matt had the calling.
              And Claire finally kicked ass instead of whining all the time. Yay for her.
              Finally Ando's power looked a bit like the one he had in the future... Maybe the writers didn't just forget after all.
              There ar still some questions that remain unanswered: 1) What did Mohinder and Tracey talk about in the end of volume III? Has it something to do with Mohinder still having his powers?
              2) Noah is one of the baddies? Why? Shouldn't he know better?
              What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by cliomiao View Post
                Anyway, I think Peter's powers are definitely different. First, he has to touch the other hero to absorb their power. Does he still accumulate them? I don't think so and I really hope he doesn't.
                I don't think it's been established that he has to touch them. He didn't touch Nathan to get flying in the last episode. That may just be down to being weak and groggy in that one instance. Or the writers screwed up before. We shall see.

Originally posted by cliomiao View Post
                The last question remaining about Peter's powers is: does this mean he sucks them out of the previous hero forever? This would mean that also Nathan, Mohinder and Tracey are powerless.
                Nothing we've seen so far suggests he's gotten his father's absorption power. Nathan certainly hasn't indicated he'd lost his power, for instance. There's just some ambiguity as to whether or not he's retaining powers once he gains them.
                Cordially,
                Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Xavier, Amuk -- there's a reason I put that in spoilers... 'cuz it's a spoiler
                  Spoiler:
                  Peter has his original power back, it's not one at a time.

The best explanation I think we have for him needing to touch people on the plane is the suits they were being forced to wear, and the chemicals -- the purpose of those things were to neutralize their powers. It's like Superman not being able to see through lead.
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

The best explanation I think we have for him needing to touch people on the plane is the suits they were being forced to wear, and the chemicals -- the purpose of those things were to neutralize their powers. It's like Superman not being able to see through lead.
                    Fair enough, I'll buy that one for now.

I forgot to mention, Syler not killing the watch repairer. Very nice little scene with him raising his hand and then putting it back down. I like how he is now bad for sure but he is not just going out killing people if they are near him. I kind of got the idea from the scene that Sylar was planning on killing the guy all along just out of habit, got to that point and then just thought 'why?, what's the point?'. Was a nice touch.

I like how this volume is starting. I just hope that they basicly stick to the storylines they have here now and not add more like they did with the catalyst. This volume needs to be much more focused that the last, not branch out into random half baked stories that just seem thrown in.

Thanks so much for that link Amuk, was great .
                    my favourite was:

The bad guy is named The Hunter. At least that's a proper supervillain name, as opposed to "Bob." Or "Knox." It's a step in the right direction. Maybe.

or...

If the show sticks around long enough, Micah will eventually show up again.
                    sigpic
                    A Boy Named Jayne

Comment

Didn't Nathan fly away after Peter rescued him from the fire?

If that's true, then he clearly kept his powers. Also, I don't think that they're all going to lose their powers to Peter. It's not the direction the show seems to be taking (then again, maybe it's an inconsistency; it's unclear why Peter didn't get super-strength from Mohinder in the car, or how Peter knew that Mohinder's power was super-strength).

Possible inconsistencies aside, the story seems to be heading to a war between the government and a faction of rebels with powers, possibly led by Peter, and with Claire playing a major role in the rebellion too.

By the way, if Peter can fly, can't he fly as fast as the plane? He did look quite fast...maybe he should get super-speed too, if he's absorbing powers.
                      Last edited by EvilVampire; 04-02-09, 10:25 AM.

Comment

There's not really an inconsistency -- Peter got his original power back when he took the formula, was close enough to absorb Nathan's flight ability, and flew them out. Just like before, they could both fly. On the plane, he absorbed at least two powers that we saw -- super strength from Mohinder and ice control from Tracy. He may have also re-absorbed Claire's regen, and may have absorbed Flint's fire back at Pinehearst.

Him getting tackled while he has superstrength isn't inconsistent -- we saw Niki get subdued repeatedly despite her strength. Strength isn't invulnerability.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Yes, but he wasn't just tackled: he punched the soldier first, the soldier didn't feel anything but a normal human punch, and punched Peter back.

Additionally, Peter didn't absorb Mohinder's strength in the taxi for some unknown reason, and also was afraid to leave the plane (I'm not sure why he can't fly in the plane; maybe he's just too slow).

Also, there's the fact that he had to touch them, and that there was this unusual special effect. On the other hand, he didn't need to touch Nathan in order to fly.

But in any case, they seem to be headed towards a Peter-led rebellion (also, his promise to fight Nathan with everything he has), and for that, it makes sense that he'll be the one with plenty of powers, so that leads me to believe he probably has his ability back, though that's based mostly on a guess about what the writers may be headed, not on the way things happened.

Comment

That makes perfect sense. I buy that.

But I still say that the exact scope of his power is an open question. I won't be surprised whichever way it turns out, but what we've actually seen on screen is ambiguous.
                            Cordially,
                            Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

The only part of the episode I really liked was the plane sequence at the end. I don't know if it's me going off Heroes or Heroes lacking in quality these days. I'll keep watching though because I'm actually excited to find out what happens to them all after they escape the plane. Hopefully Volume 4 can become better than the last two volumes.
                              Credit worldatomic @ livejournal for avatar

Comment

Him getting tackled while he has superstrength isn't inconsistent -- we saw Niki get subdued repeatedly despite her strength. Strength isn't invulnerability.
                                To be honest I'd call the strength not giving some degree of damage resistance an inconsistancy in itself simply because otherwise his bones would have broken when he tried to break the shackles and his hands shatter when he super-punched.

Besides, we're not talking just about strength... With mohinder he gets strength, speed and reflexes. Just on its own it can all be explained away, it's just that the scenen seemed to have made a real point of it happening.
                                sigpic
                                A Boy Named Jayne

Comment

Working...
                                X