Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.13 Power

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 8.13 Power

    Yay! Another new episode! I think the topic is pretty obvious, but for the Thread-impaired let's discuss this weeks new episode of Smallville "Power"

    Question 1) How did you think Allison Mack did with her directorial (is that even a word? ) debut?

    Question 2) What's up with Lana. Is she on the verge of evil or what. She's crossing the line IMO. And I'm starting to really love Tess. She's turning out to be very interesting. What did you think about her?

    Question 3) Is everyone just as dissapointed that the writers are trying to get Clana back in motion again as me? (No offense intended to Clana fans) Or can you not wait for the return of Lois and Jimmy...wherever they are...

    Question 4) If you captured the preview clip at the end of the episode, what did you think of it. It looked pretty damn exciting!!!

    Feel free to discuss anything else you want about this week's episode of Smallville as well! Go Smallville!

  • #2
    Yeah I was disappointed with the reunion between Clark and Lana and I used to be a Clana shipper! However, I really enjoyed the Lana's storyline- well, at least the military hard core training, the alien DNA suit and all of that. I thought that part was neat. Though I was disappointed that she was forced to lie on the video- telling Clark they weren't meant to be together. At the same time, her being in that situation gave her that fuel to do all of this.

    I also liked the interaction between Tess and Lana as well. I too am liking Tess more and more. Then there is that scene when Tess killed the suit in the office- where she had the blood all over her face, then she shed a tear, followed by wiping her mouth. Uber-creepy.

    I forget the guy's name- the one who trained her but I dunno but it seem like there was chemistry between Lana and him. Was that just me?

    As for how it ended, I wasn't happy. I thought Lana would leave- she is going to do her job and Clark needs to do his. Ah well, I don't know what to think. Is this the last season for Smallville or what? Cuz I don't see how there will be time for Lois and Clark acknowledge their feelings for each other.

    Side note- I thought Lana looked cute with short hair.
    Banner by Digital Leonardo

    Comment


    • #3
      The episode wasn't anywhere near to being my favorite episode of the series, but I liked bits and pieces of it.

      Q1. Allison Mack's directorial debut was actually done pretty well. I liked how the scenes were filmed, but some parts seemed like they had too many effects. Like the way that the screen slid before Lana's first flashback of filming the video seemed unnecessary. But on the other hand, I really liked how the lighting was set up when Lana first went to beg for powers.

      Lana confuses me now. I pretty much understand that Lana wants to show that she can be different this time with powers (compared to what she did in Wrath), but there's no point being proven. She's forcing to hard to become Clark's equal instead of just being herself. It's like she has such a big problem with being herself that she has to strive to be someone's equal. She pretty much did the same thing with Lex back in S6. People save the day without powers like Clark and they're praised in one way or another as heroes like Chloe or Oliver. The writers just seemed to mess up Lana's character big time by making her relient on her connection with Clark to define her in my opinion.

      That's pretty much why I liked S7!Lana and Legion!Lana because she tried to make a name for herself on her own terms. She didn't let her relationship with Clark define who she would be that season. She would still stand faithfully next to Clark when she had to, but she wanted to be a hero in her own way. I didn't sense that in this episode at all...

      I'm disappointed in the final scene for many reasons. The dialogue just seemed to make Clark seem dopey and Lana seem desperate for love that she wasn't getting in Cuba. But seriously, kissing on top of the Daily Planet just seemed plain wrong and a total rip on every iconic Clois scenes in the good Supes movies (even Superman Returns). I also don't see how Clark will see what potential he has with Lois or any other female for that matter now that he's pretty much accepted the real reason why there was a problem in Clana last season... I want Clark to leave Lana peacefully and start a strong friendship with her. I don't want Lana to die off and then have Clark pick up Lois or Chloe as sloppy seconds. That's not cool. I want Lois Lane to come back and start building her walls up...

      Tess was awesome, though. The way that she killed Regan and then the blood was splattered all over her face was incredible and I'm really loving how Tess is behaving. I can't wait to see her storyline develop in the next episode (if she's in it).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HeroSplinter View Post
        The episode wasn't anywhere near to being my favorite episode of the series, but I liked bits and pieces of it.

        Q1. Allison Mack's directorial debut was actually done pretty well. I liked how the scenes were filmed, but some parts seemed like they had too many effects. Like the way that the screen slid before Lana's first flashback of filming the video seemed unnecessary. But on the other hand, I really liked how the lighting was set up when Lana first went to beg for powers.

        Lana confuses me now. I pretty much understand that Lana wants to show that she can be different this time with powers (compared to what she did in Wrath), but there's no point being proven. She's forcing to hard to become Clark's equal instead of just being herself. It's like she has such a big problem with being herself that she has to strive to be someone's equal. She pretty much did the same thing with Lex back in S6. People save the day without powers like Clark and they're praised in one way or another as heroes like Chloe or Oliver. The writers just seemed to mess up Lana's character big time by making her relient on her connection with Clark to define her in my opinion.

        That's pretty much why I liked S7!Lana and Legion!Lana because she tried to make a name for herself on her own terms. She didn't let her relationship with Clark define who she would be that season. She would still stand faithfully next to Clark when she had to, but she wanted to be a hero in her own way. I didn't sense that in this episode at all...

        I'm disappointed in the final scene for many reasons. The dialogue just seemed to make Clark seem dopey and Lana seem desperate for love that she wasn't getting in Cuba. But seriously, kissing on top of the Daily Planet just seemed plain wrong and a total rip on every iconic Clois scenes in the good Supes movies (even Superman Returns). I also don't see how Clark will see what potential he has with Lois or any other female for that matter now that he's pretty much accepted the real reason why there was a problem in Clana last season... I want Clark to leave Lana peacefully and start a strong friendship with her. I don't want Lana to die off and then have Clark pick up Lois or Chloe as sloppy seconds. That's not cool. I want Lois Lane to come back and start building her walls up...

        Tess was awesome, though. The way that she killed Regan and then the blood was splattered all over her face was incredible and I'm really loving how Tess is behaving. I can't wait to see her storyline develop in the next episode (if she's in it).
        Right now, I don't know what else I could add. Really. I don't even know if I have the energy to make any crack!comments and/or non-srs bsns squeeing to do.. For once, this has nothing to do with Chloe. (But I did include a couple Chloe-related examples, just to give a sorta relative scale of MY thoughts and reactions)

        Lana went too far for me. I DO think she crossed a line here, with her NEED for power. Sure, she says it's different. But she can't just HAVE powers. I know she went through the training and whatnot, so you could argue that it wasn't so easy to just become powerful. But again, it's that need for power that's getting to me.

        And I do NOT like the too-sweet tone she used with Tess towards the end. It felt so much like the icky tone she used with Chloe in "Persona" .... Maybe that comes off as bitter (as I am not subtle about my love for Chloe and Tess ). Maybe it is just bitterness. But really, I do not feel like being fair to her right now. Last week had me excited about her, and now it just feels...bleh. I tried. I tried. *le sigh* Still, I was pretty much yelling, "No, Tess! No!" When she was ready to let Lana die. But now I take that back. Because I can.

        One good thing though. As if I didn't love Tess enough though, my appreciation for her just keeps growing LOL, okay, and her "Lana Lang was born to be a martyr" line (something to that effect) reminds me very much, in an extremely opposite way, of "Chloe Sullivan doesn't die!"

        Eh. Maybe I'll feel nicer tomorrow. We'll see.
        Last edited by little albatross; 30-01-09, 08:07 AM.
        would you do anything for me

        buy a new diamond ring for me

        Comment


        • #5
          Well...

          I don't know what to say about this episode. It was doing pretty well for itself before... well... you know... This was a very Lana heavy episode. And I really did enjoy seeing what Lana had been up to the last few months. Though I am kind of upset that the beautiful video Lana made to Clark and just that scene from "Artic" that was done SO well and with Lois and Clark's hug... Well it was destroyed and cheapened by making the video being done at gun point. I am rather upset about that... I don't think they had to do that...

          The training Lana did was cool. And I do understand her need for power. How can you not? She was lived her entire life surrounded by people with power. Clark has his, Lex has his corporate power and well the hundreds of meteor freaks that have tried to kill her... It must be kind of sucky just being a normal girl. It would have been nice to see Lana actually WORK for these powers, but at least the training was something. She wanted to be able to handle these powers - which was smart.

          Know my only question is... What is she going to do with these powers? Oh sorry "power suit" (though I gotta say I am excited to see them use the Nano Tech. It plays a pretty big part in the comics and the Justice League cartoon. It also means that Lex's power suit is in the work! WOOT!) It seems so weird that Lana has powers... What can she do? Superwoman? In the comics she became Insect Queen for a while... But I doubt they would do that to Lana in the series, it would just ben way to out there.

          I am kind of hoping Lana's death will be what turns Clark into the true hero he is meant to be. They were doing so well with Lana this season, it is kind of sucky that she is now this weird creature of a thing. They took away any kind of respect we could have had for the character.

          Now the rest of episode was okay. Tess is becoming far more interesting. Her killing that guy and her realization was pretty cool. The death in her eyes was so cool - I loved it! Chloe, for her minor cameo, was pretty cool. (Allison Mack was a fine director. I mean nothing stood out, but nothing was bad. It is good that she got a chance and hopefully she will do some more outside of Smallville.)

          Okay I am going on too much about an episode that wasn't all that good. Hopefully the next two episodes will go by fast and we can bounce back to some greatness! With Zatanna in the wings I hope the season/series finishes with a bang.

          As for next week
          Spoiler:
          I think it is such a bad idea to bring Lex back played by a different actor... I just think the writers should have just stayed away from Lex. A season without Lex would have been a nice breather, but these past few episodes just feel like we are taking one step forward and two steps back... It is rather painful to watch.

          Comment


          • #6
            I liked the episode, and I actually liked Clark and Lana.

            But this can't be good in SV; given that this cannot last, but now she's powerful so there's no apparent reason not to (she won't hold him back), and Lana is remembered in the future for something else than her relationship with Kal-El, my guess is that Lana will die saving the world/Clark from Doomsday.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EvilVampire View Post
              Lana is remembered in the future for something else than her relationship with Kal-El, my guess is that Lana will die saving the world/Clark from Doomsday.
              Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the previews for next week..... I always thought that the only way Clark would truly move on was if she died. But le-sigh, I would rather they had killed her off at the end of last season, then to make her super-lana. I loved all of the green beret training, I thought that it would lead to what Lana is doing now - and I was right, only the outcome sucked. How LAME. How is she any better than Lex - trying to have ABSOLUTE power. *sigh*.

              I'm rather disappointed in the turn that this season took in this episode. I liked that Clark was starting to get over her. I will be super PISSED if Lois comes back all weepy over the Clana. She needs to put major walls up and treat Clark like a leper.

              It's sad, really, because I was in the rare minority of people who liked Lana and the Clana ship, but this just has ruined that for me. It's too cheesy. Why couldn't they have made her strong just in who she was??? Why does she have to define herself by the men in her life. Grrr. Not a great turn of events. Now I'm actually wanting them to kill her off.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                It's sad, really, because I was in the rare minority of people who liked Lana and the Clana ship, but this just has ruined that for me. It's too cheesy. Why couldn't they have made her strong just in who she was??? Why does she have to define herself by the men in her life. Grrr. Not a great turn of events. Now I'm actually wanting them to kill her off.
                Hey, Twilight did it...

                Personally, I have no beef with this episode. Allison Mack did a great job directing but nothing was so spectacular that it stood it - then again, Tom Welling's episodes never stand out for visual awesomeness but, usually, for awesomeness in the writing. The one scene that I absolute loved was when Tess kicks Reegan's head in. Now THAT was a chilling scene! And the final scene on the rooftop was sweet as far as the visual elements were concerned.

                The storyline itself...I dunno. I'm used to this kind of crap after reading the Twilight series and, honestly, I wasn't bothered by the idea of Lana wanting superpowers. HOWEVER, I wish that she had sought them out to destroy Lex and NOT to be with Clark. We all know it won't last (not only because next week is her last episode this season).

                I enjoyed Lana in the episode, personally, and I was not perturbed by the writers choosing to redefine the "Dear John" video she left Clark last season. It doesn't change anything from the season finale or the episodes this season. Clark still believed Lana left him, he still hugged Lois, he still started to like Lois...but Lana still loves him. What else is new? I just don't a reason for the fandom to be in uproar over this one little twist concerning the video when it really changes nothing. Even if Lana had done the video herself and THEN been captured by Tess and Company, Lana still would have loved Clark. Nothing changes. Literally.

                Clark was pretty entertaining tonight, too, and Chloe's brief appearances were nifty. But the episode stealer of the night, for me, was Tess Mercer. Every scene involving that woman was perfect, suspenseful, and just thoroughly exciting! She just keeps getting better and better.

                The acting was on the ball, as well. Well some may not like Lana Lang, it's not fair to say that Kristin Kreuk was playing the part perfectly. The emotions were raw and moving. Tom Welling did distraught well, Allison Mack did guilt well, and Cassidy Freeman...well, she's just perfect.

                Overall, the episode was destined to be controversial the second that it came out that it would fill in the blanks of Lana's backstory. However, I thought it delievered.

                And for those of you concerned about the Clana and freaking out about the repercussions of these events, it won't last long because, as I've said, next week is Lana's final episode (this season, at least).
                wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

                YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LRae12
                  Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the previews for next week..... I always thought that the only way Clark would truly move on was if she died.
                  I didn't see it, so I couldn't tell, but it seems to be the most likely way to split her and Clark.

                  Originally posted by LRae12
                  But le-sigh, I would rather they had killed her off at the end of last season, then to make her super-lana. I loved all of the green beret training, I thought that it would lead to what Lana is doing now - and I was right, only the outcome sucked. How LAME. How is she any better than Lex - trying to have ABSOLUTE power. *sigh*.
                  Actually, that part didn't bother me at all.
                  How's she better than Lex?

                  Lex kidnaps innocent people, experiments on them, tortures and murders them, and so on, and wants to have power to take over the world and do more of that.

                  Lana doesn't do that, wants to be with Clark, and if she wants power and gets it without hurting anyone, I'd say good for Lana - well, good for Lana if it weren't for the fact that she's going to likely die at the hands of Doomsday.


                  Originally posted by LRae12
                  I'm rather disappointed in the turn that this season took in this episode. I liked that Clark was starting to get over her. I will be super PISSED if Lois comes back all weepy over the Clana. She needs to put major walls up and treat Clark like a leper.
                  I wouldn't say like a leper, but I think she's better off without him.

                  Originally posted by LRae12
                  It's sad, really, because I was in the rare minority of people who liked Lana and the Clana ship, but this just has ruined that for me. It's too cheesy. Why couldn't they have made her strong just in who she was??? Why does she have to define herself by the men in her life. Grrr. Not a great turn of events. Now I'm actually wanting them to kill her off.
                  I'm not sure she's "defined" by the mean in her life, though she's of course influenced by them - but so were they influenced by her; people influence one another.

                  Still, I don't know whether the influence gets that far.

                  I think even if Clark had died before (he was too close many times), and Lex had died in the fortress, Lana might have gotten superpowers anyway. She also wanted them to be with Clark, so she may have had more than one motivation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Okay I guess Smallville has finally done it. I have tried giving up this show before but now I think is the first time that I will succeed. This week's episode for which I don't even have words because it was beyond epic fail and the preview for next week
                    Spoiler:
                    where we learn that they apparently recast Lex, which IMO is the ultimate insult to MR who dedicated years of his life to this show
                    have done it, I'm done with this show for good. I don't see why I should waste time on a show that builds up my hopes with a brilliant start to this season 8, only to ruin those hopes by destroying everything with superhero Lana and icky Clana. And I'm sad and dismayed that my misgivings over the hiatus break that Lana and Clana would once again ruin a good season have come true.

                    Originally posted by little albatross View Post
                    Lana went too far for me. I DO think she crossed a line here, with her NEED for power. Sure, she says it's different. But she can't just HAVE powers. I know she went through the training and whatnot, so you could argue that it wasn't so easy to just become powerful. But again, it's that need for power that's getting to me.
                    IMO Lana has gone insane. It's as simple as that. Clark seemed to recognise this for a second but then forgot all about it because she is Lana, love of his life. Lois will never be able to reach the pedestal that Clark puts Lana on, she will always be second to Lana in the SV-verse and that is just wrong beyond words.

                    And I do NOT like the too-sweet tone she used with Tess towards the end. It felt so much like the icky tone she used with Chloe in "Persona" .... Maybe that comes off as bitter (as I am not subtle about my love for Chloe and Tess ). Maybe it is just bitterness. But really, I do not feel like being fair to her right now. Last week had me excited about her, and now it just feels...bleh. I tried. I tried. *le sigh* Still, I was pretty much yelling, "No, Tess! No!" When she was ready to let Lana die. But now I take that back. Because I can.
                    At this point I very much doubt that Lana Lang will ever die. We can't be that lucky, J.j.

                    One good thing though. As if I didn't love Tess enough though, my appreciation for her just keeps growing LOL, okay, and her "Lana Lang was born to be a martyr" line (something to that effect) reminds me very much, in an extremely opposite way, of "Chloe Sullivan doesn't die!"
                    Tess was the one good thing in this episode, the only good thing. Not even Chloe worked for me in this ep because I was so disappointed that her character did a complete 180 since last week, where she was telling Clark not to break Lois' heart and then this week she is all "go Clana!". WTF writers? Is this what you call character development?

                    Ah it's no use getting upset anymore. I'll always treasure the first half of season 8 because I thoroughly enjoyed it and it made me squee a few times. Bye bye Smallville!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cori View Post
                      Okay I guess Smallville has finally done it. I have tried giving up this show before but now I think is the first time that I will succeed. This week's episode for which I don't even have words because it was beyond epic fail and the preview for next week
                      Spoiler:
                      where we learn that they apparently recast Lex, which IMO is the ultimate insult to MR who dedicated years of his life to this show
                      have done it, I'm done with this show for good. I don't see why I should waste time on a show that builds up my hopes with a brilliant start to this season 8, only to ruin those hopes by destroying everything with superhero Lana and icky Clana. And I'm sad and dismayed that my misgivings over the hiatus break that Lana and Clana would once again ruin a good season have come true.
                      *Spoilers for next week*

                      Spoiler:
                      Recasting Lex was a necessity. Michael Rosenbaum has openly said - and very rudely, in my opinion - that he's done with the show and even said in one interview: "I don't think anyone has really let the idea that I'm not coming back actually sink in. I find it flattering. Do I miss the series? I miss the people. I will always cherish the fun times I had on the set of Smallville." I think that that quote is full of arrogance, quite honestly. Yes, he made SV's Lex Luthor a brilliant creation but he chose to leave - for lord knows what reason, seeing as his career has been dead outside of SV - and the show needs to keep Lex around in some capacity. They did that by bringing in the body double and now they chose to recast Lex for what will probably only be a brief scene or two.

                      The fandom caused an uproar when Lex left and cried for him to come back and now the writers are bringing him back but now they're getting ripped apart because Michael Rosenbaum thinks he's above guest starring on SV.

                      Next week's episode isn't even ABOUT Lex returning. It's about the Toymaster or whatever his name is. So the fandom's collective freak out over a new, bald actor playing a scarred, near-death Lex is just...premature.


                      I've seen a lot of quotes from people in the fandom all over the internet saying that they're going to quit SV because of this one episode or because Kristin Kreuk came back for 8.10-8.14. Personally, that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Lana Lang is not long for SV, whether she'll die or actually choose to leave is up in the air, and we all know that Clana WILL. NOT. LAST. Hell, Kristin Kreuk might never even return to the show! Come 8.15, we're going back to what the show was pre-Lana's return. Giving up because they brought Lana back to wrap up her storyline in 5 episodes is just...I dunno. As premature as the fandom's freak out over Lex getting recast for what will probably be a very short scene.

                      *Shrugs* I dunno. I'm not Lana's biggest fan and I get why people are unhappy with Lana's return and the direction that her storyline has taken. But this was one bad episode out of 13 so far this season (4 bad episodes if a fan considered "Bride," "Legion," and "Bulletproof" bad, too - but the former...I don't know how anyone could see the first two as BAD) and giving up on the show because of a short storyline? It's beyond me.

                      Anyway, to further discussion about an element in the episode I found particularly interesting: Does anyone else think that Tess Mercer has a lot more up her sleeve than she's letting on? Lex seemed to confide a lot in her as far as projects and operations were concerned and she apparently has quite the dark, gruesome history. I have this werid feeling that she might know about Clark...Which is a scary thought, considering how she's rounding up superpowered folks from Level 33.1. Which, by the way, is a storyline that they need to bring back.

                      PS: Corikins, you know I love you to bits and pieces! I just wanted to get out that rant since I saw posts from fans saying how they're done with the show all over the internet, like I said, and this is the only forum I actually care about posting on. I STILL LOVVVVE YOU!
                      wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

                      YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Heather View Post
                        *Spoilers for next week*

                        Spoiler:
                        Recasting Lex was a necessity. Michael Rosenbaum has openly said - and very rudely, in my opinion - that he's done with the show and even said in one interview: "I don't think anyone has really let the idea that I'm not coming back actually sink in. I find it flattering. Do I miss the series? I miss the people. I will always cherish the fun times I had on the set of Smallville." I think that that quote is full of arrogance, quite honestly. Yes, he made SV's Lex Luthor a brilliant creation but he chose to leave - for lord knows what reason, seeing as his career has been dead outside of SV - and the show needs to keep Lex around in some capacity. They did that by bringing in the body double and now they chose to recast Lex for what will probably only be a brief scene or two.

                        The fandom caused an uproar when Lex left and cried for him to come back and now the writers are bringing him back but now they're getting ripped apart because Michael Rosenbaum thinks he's above guest starring on SV.

                        Next week's episode isn't even ABOUT Lex returning. It's about the Toymaster or whatever his name is. So the fandom's collective freak out over a new, bald actor playing a scarred, near-death Lex is just...premature.


                        I've seen a lot of quotes from people in the fandom all over the internet saying that they're going to quit SV because of this one episode or because Kristin Kreuk came back for 8.10-8.14. Personally, that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Lana Lang is not long for SV, whether she'll die or actually choose to leave is up in the air, and we all know that Clana WILL. NOT. LAST. Hell, Kristin Kreuk might never even return to the show! Come 8.15, we're going back to what the show was pre-Lana's return. Giving up because they brought Lana back to wrap up her storyline in 5 episodes is just...I dunno. As premature as the fandom's freak out over Lex getting recast for what will probably be a very short scene.

                        *Shrugs* I dunno. I'm not Lana's biggest fan and I get why people are unhappy with Lana's return and the direction that her storyline has taken. But this was one bad episode out of 13 so far this season (4 bad episodes if a fan considered "Bride," "Legion," and "Bulletproof" bad, too - but the former...I don't know how anyone could see the first two as BAD) and giving up on the show because of a short storyline? It's beyond me.
                        I'm aware that my decision to stop watching the show may not be rational. In fact, it's anything but, it's purely emotional. This show has let me down time and again and silly fool that I was I thought that season 8 would prove to be different. So I'm not just quitting the show over one episode or over the spoiler posted above but simply because I no longer have the energy or willpower to stick with a show that repeatedly disappoints and upsets me. This has been a long way coming and personally I'm just done. Life is too short to spend it watching things you don't enjoy. So I don't know what the motivations of other fans might be but for me personally this episode was only the straw that broke the camel's back. I felt positively sick after last night's episode, upset, irritated, annoyed and pissed off and I don't see why I should put myself through that again. Maybe I'm being overdramatic or overemotional but that's how I feel right now. There are too many good shows out there that I actually enjoy watching so I'm gonna focus on them.

                        PS: Corikins, you know I love you to bits and pieces! I just wanted to get out that rant since I saw posts from fans saying how they're done with the show all over the internet, like I said, and this is the only forum I actually care about posting on. I STILL LOVVVVE YOU!
                        Same goes for me, hon! I'm happy for you that you still find enjoyment in the show, it's just not for me anymore.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X