Skins season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skins season 3

Hey! I've just watched the first episode of the new season and I'm still not sure wether i like it or not... The new characters are funny and Kaya Scodellaro as Effy is always great, but overall there's something missing... The bittersweet taste that every episode of the old skins had... Now it feels as if it's turned into the british Gossip Girl.
    What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

I haven't managed to see it yet but I was very sad when I found out all the old cast (aside from Effy who was never my favourite) was changed. I was very sad watching the series two finale. I wasn't even going to watch the show now as I thought it might as well be a new show entirely, but I'd be interested to hear in what ways it relates to 'Gossip Girl' now? Because that show isn't really my cup of tea.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I just took Gossip Girl as an example of classical Teen Drama... Plus, I can see some resamblance with Blaair and Effy, though Effy is much nastier (in a good sense, i love bitchy characters). Skins is still way better than gossip girl, and if you liked season 1 and 2 you'll like season 3 as well, but I think it's lost something, that it has become more "conventional". But I'll have to see future episodes.
      What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

Comment

I haven't watched this, I may do, but I saw the first 5 minutes or so and it was fairly interesting, I liked the opening and how they didn't focus on Effy even though she's essentially the main character now, which I'm glad about because she was one of my favourites from the previous seasons, but I'm not overly keen on the new guys, especially JJ or whatever his name was (the guy with braces), to me it seemed like they were trying to force eccentricity out of his character, but that could just be that the actor was trying too hard.

From what I've seen the new cast (except those previously in it) they're not a patch on how attractive the old cast were, I know it doesn't really come down to looks, but the old cast, all of them had something attractive, but a majority of the new class just look kind of plain.

I really liked Effy's entrance too, but that said, I'm not too keen on the whole "new cast" thing, so whether I watch the full length thing is another matter.
        sigpic

Comment

I think you should give it a try... As i said, it's not as good as the old cast but maybe it just gets time to "adjust". I didn't like JJ as well, and also I didn't really get Naomi. But overall the characters all seem too stereotyped.

Comment

I watched it and I'm sorry to say but I hated it

It didn't feel like 'Skins' for me at all I'm afraid. I didn't find the writing clever whatsoever and there was absolutely nothing about this that set this series a part from any other teen drama out there. I didn't warm to pretty much any of the new cast at all, I found that Cook character to be an absolute twat, and I found the over-the-top silly characterisations of the teachers to be a real downgrade from the smart writing of the previous series. I was pretty much rolling my eyes throughout the majority of this.. the skateboard opening with such unbelievable jumps, the bumbling nerd who's just a complete caricature, the silly portrayals of the teachers a long with fart jokes?, and overall the focus on the college was a real disappointment for me. It was never about the school, it was about the kids. Now we have locker talk, blonde cheerleader groups, kids rocking up in hawt cars ect...

I just can’t believe the same writers of the previous two seasons wrote this, what a horrible disappointment. I thought my only issues would be warming to the new cast but I thought that the standard of the writing and the feel of the show would have stayed the same but it's totally different and just fluffy meaningless dribble.
            Last edited by vampmogs; 26-01-09, 01:53 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I just hope it will get better... I still liked Effy, but I also hated Cook, JJ and the fart jokes. But I do think the twins have potential, if they make the popular one (I forgot her name) a little less excessive (the whole "we should be friends, 'cause we're the best looking girls in school" speech is really stupid).

Comment

I've liked the first two episodes of the series, though I can already tell that I'm not going to like the next one, or the character thats being introduced in the next one. I like how they aren't all friends at the beginning of this one, and refferences to things that happened before the series, like how we've been dropped in the middle of some sort of fight between the bitchy twin and the blonde girl.

Cliomiao, I think the point of that 'We should be friends' thing was so that Effy could give the popular twin the cold shoulder which, though pretty cliché, was good. I like the chemistry between Cook and Naomi. JJ and Pandora are my favourite characters though. They don't seem to be using Effy at all so far though. There only reason she seems to be there at the moment is to make the connection between this series and the last two series.

I really hated Mackenzie Crook as a gangster though. Crook is not intimidating. Not even the slightest little bit. He's short, and has the facial features of a rat.
                My skills are as varied as they are impractical.

Comment

I watched the second episode and it still didn't grip me I have to say. I just find the whole thing to be very over-the-top and silly. The first two seasons had those moments as well but it always seemed more grounded and thoughtful somehow. I find Cook to be a hideous character really, I find him repulsive and a real pain to watch. I barley could sit through the whole episode watching him be an enormous prat and just when I thought they may get to some meaty issues the episode ends with him being all smug and walking down the street again I just can’t stand him, I find him to be so over-the-top and irritating.

The only thing the episode did do well is show that the writers haven't completely lost it, there were moments there when I thought they may get into something interesting. I think they could have done something far better with Cook and "the nerd" (don't even remember his name) by having Cook humiliate him in front of the prostitute or make him do something he'd really regret, like pressuring him into loosing his virginity. That would have been far more compelling but it ended with the silly gangster scene which just seems like a poor mans version of Sid and his problems with "Mad Twatter."

And since when did all these characters become friends? It was unexplainable really? It didn’t feel like a natural progression at all that Cook would invite some of those people to his party, or more importantly, that they would ever want to come? Again, none of the characters have even remotely gripped me in any real way but why would “the blonde chick” (best way I could describe her) come to his party when she loathed the guy (and rightfully so) so much in the previous episode? Why would he invite her to his party and why would she turn up? It makes no sense? Why are any of these kids suddenly all hanging out? There was no visible progression from the first episode of this season? Why did they bother developing this season in a way that the group wouldn’t know each other unlike the last series when the kids already did, if they’re just going to skip actually giving us a reason why they are suddenly all hanging out anyway? They might as well had used the same formula from the last series and have them as an already established group? That was a real disapointment, when they all started rocking up, especially Miss "I'm not a lesbian drama rama" I was basically just in 'WFT?' mode the entire time, it made no sense whatsoever why any of these characters would all be attending this party when they loathed eachother in the previous episode? And if we're supposed to believe they've all developed into friends somewhat in-between episodes and off screen, that's very poor writing indeed.

The “guest spots” of previous characters from the other series feel a little forced as well, it didn’t feel natural having Chris’ drug dealer be so close to Cook it just felt like they wanted to show more familiar faces to connect this series to the last one and I kinda wish they didn’t.

As for Effy, well she’s been the most underused out of everybody in these two episodes so far. She’s basically there to stand pretty. But what’s even more worrying is that without even saying anything at all she seems more developed and appears to have more depth than any of the characters around her, and I find that worrying as Effy was my least favourite character in the previous series. When her character is on screen though it’s if the writers are almost showing that she’s a character way out of the league of all these new characters and it makes it even harder to appreciate anything about this new series and this new cast when they seem so poor in comparison to the last series’ characters. It seems like the only logical reason they have for her character to be there is to connect the two series and to have her stand around and appear mysterious, pretty and almost too wise for all the children she’s associating with, if they really wanted to show her off I’d fear she’d put these new characters to shame even further. But there’s clearly an imbalance there, she’s the character who’s been through everything and has developed way beyond these characters thanks to the exceptional writing of last season, whereas these characters all seem na?ve and childish. And it shouldn’t be that way, when ‘Skins’ started none of the characters appeared to more undeveloped than the other. They all seemed to be of the same maturity as those around them, whereas it just feels incredibly forced that Effy would find any of these character's amusing, especially Cook's antics.
                  Last edited by vampmogs; 02-02-09, 03:11 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I agree with vampmogs... This second episode didn't convince me at all. Sue, there were some good things (the "I'll **** you" look, Pandora, who's so far the best character this season -after Effy, of course) but there were many bad things as well. Starting with Cook himself.
                    He's annoying, a real twat and I could hardly stand him in the first episode and hate him after this second one.
                    Then there's, as Vampmogs said, the fact that they're all hanging out. Did we skip something? The worst thing is that they still seem todon't like each other, but they still hang out. I would have understood that if Cook had invited everyone from their class, but how come only the main cast is there? I think it was just stupid.
                    Then there's the lesbian twin. Does anybody even care? She and Naomi have maybe said ten lines each in this new season, nobody gives a **** about them!
                    And Effy wasn't well used.... I liked her unseen skin (the short episodes that you can watch online) with Pandora better than this whole episode!
                    I hope episode 3 will get better.

Comment

I liked the third episode a lot better than the last two. Thomas was totally adorable. I really hope he'll be back. Him and Pandora were cute and I kind of love her wackiness.

I think as they develop Naomi's character more I'll like her. I knew Emily was a lesbian. I think her and Naomi will be getting together soon because Naomi is totally denying her bisexuality. Could be interesting. I actually want Cook & Naomi to hook up though. I don't particularly like Cook but maybe Naomi can calm his annoying ass down. I also want Katie and JJ to get together just because it would be funny lol.

I could do without Freddy & Effy. They just kind of bore me. I don't find this cast as likable as the last though. But now that I think about it I didn't really like the last cast all too much except for Chris, Jal, and Maxxie. So we'll see.

Comment

I loved episode 3!!!!! The best one this season, hands down. Pandora was really funny, so was her auntie, and Effy was great as well. I'm glad there wasn't much of her/Freddie, it's quite boring, though I like both characters (Effy because she's still awesoma, and Freddie only because he's super-hot).
                        Plus, in this episode the gang had actually a reason to be together and to become friends... In episode 2 they were just hanging out together despite still not liking each other.
                        I still couldn't care less about the lesbian twin, which is sad, because it could've had so much potential... But still in this episode at least it was funny when she got cuaght by Effy and Thomas confessing her homosexuality.

Comment

I'm liking the season so far. Though its not as good as the first two it still has its moments. Episode 3 was as people said before the best. It seemed like an actual "Skins" episode. Whereas 1,2, and 4 have a bit of a different vibe to them. It's not necessarily bad, its just different. I think the boys sneaking into the girls PJ party was a little "sit-com" status. I mean having thme there created some drama, but I think giving them a better reason to show up would have been better.

Thomas, Effy, and Pandora seem to be the best characters so far. I wish instead of starting with "Everyone," they would have started with a single character episode like before. I guess since they were nto all friends to begin with, getting them together as friend was a priority so I guess thats y they started the shwo like that. But since its the same writers I'm sure they coudl have figured a way to make it work and by focusing on just one character at the same time.

I REALLY hope the remaining episodes are like the Thomas episode. THAT was an episode of "Skins!" The other episodes seem like it should be a spin off show or something. I know I'll liek the season either way, I just think it'll be a lot BETTER if it goes back to the old style.
                          "Screw you, dawn! Hope that doesn't get taken out of context."

Comment

I liked episode 4. Mostly because there was no Freddie. I thought it was Cook the problem, but iwas wrong: Freddie is the boring one. Like, the big Effy/Freddie love story: they've talked for five minutes in the first episodes, and it seems as if their soulmates.
                            The first bit of episode 4 was great, but then all of love drama made it a bit boring. The lebians were great, for the first time. So far theirs is the only really interesting relationship.

Comment

Working...
                            X