Veronica Mars - season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica Mars - season 3

I?ve just finished S3 and it?s not as bad as some people say. It?s a very mixed bag, very uneven. I still like it a lot, it?s Veronica Mars, after all. But there were stuff that really pissed me off:

- Lilith House. The so called feminists were unlikeable, cliched and plain annoying. The rape mystery was not very compelling, although I liked the scenes where Veronica was in danger, mostly Of Vice and Men.
    - The on/off again relationship of Veronica and Logan. By the end, Veronica was pissing me off a little, she was being mean to and distrusting of Logan.
    - The fact that they almost forgot about Mac
    Now, what I liked:

- Kirsten Bell as Veronica. Just great.
    - Veronica/Keith dynamic
    - Dick and Logan (without Veronica, he was great)
    - The finale, although with some unresolved stuff, pleased me
    - Dean O?Dell mystery and its resolution in Papa?s Cabin

I still like this season but I?m a little disappointed, nonetheless.

I agree that it isn't that bad, I also agree with your likes and dislikes. I loved that Mac was a regular and then they completely seemed to forget that she was a regular, I think they should have had more interaction between her and Veronica. I also agree that the on/off relationship between Logan and Veronica was really annoying but TV shows love doing this.

I also agree that Kristen Bell is great as Veronica, I think she has the sassyness needed for the role. I have always loved Dick even though a lot of people seem to find him irritating I always found him kinda loveable He added some humour again and I also like that we got to see his vulnerable side when he broke down to Logan.
    sigpic

Comment

I was genuinely surprised how much I liked the Veronica-Logan relationship -- and how irritated I got with her for screwing it up so badly and so often. So, yeah, I have to concur there.

S3 was, regrettably, weaker than the previous two (and S2 was weaker than S1). It's an effect of the story structure they chose from the start (big sweeping mystery that runs through the whole season with small weekly ones along the way). It's hard to (plausibly) sustain. Which is why I think they chose to have a couple of biggies in S3 rather than just one.

Still, they seem to have figured that out themselves, to judge by the reboot they had planned for S4. Shame we never got more than the mini-pilot for that concept. I think it would've been great.
      Cordially,
      Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
      Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
        - The fact that they almost forgot about Mac

Now, what I liked:

- Dick and Logan (without Veronica, he was great)

I agree with a lot of what you said, and I would change "almost forgot about Mac" to "almost forgot about Wallace, Weevil, and Keith". It felt kinda disjointed character-wise.

And personally, I think there was WAY too much Dick. Just much too much.
        You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Ah season 3... I will honest say I didn't give this season a chance. Unlike season 1 and 2 I never rewatched the season in full on DVD. I was just so distraught from the season on TV. The issues I had with the season were already said, but I'll bring it up again and some other points.

- Lack-o-Mac. I bitched about this all season 3. Mac was my favorite character on the show, ever since her first appearance in "Like a Virgin". Tina Majorino has great screen charisma and in season 1 and 2 was just perfect. Then they added her as a main character and her story line was just HACKED! They needed to do more with her and Madison's swap-at-birth. That was interesting and I don't know why they never went back to it.

- LoVe... I never liked Logan and Veronica as a couple. I was and will always be a Veronica/Duncan shipper cause I felt they were just epicly perfect for each other. They had like some good moments, but in season 3 it became such an annoyance and Logan became such a little pansy! I mean that episode where he became BFFs with that little girl... Uhh... that was just weird.

- Piz. Do I need to elaborate? The idea for his character had potential, but he just didn't work. I would have much rather Wallace become the Radio Host and have more Wallace time...

- Single Episodes. I blame TheCW for this cause they felt a season arc would be to hard for people to follow. Which is a joke cause that is what made Veronica Mars a great series. I do not think the rape storyline could handle a full season, but I am sure they could have came up with something more interesting to support the arc of season.
          I also blame Rob Thomas... I feel he gave up. He was unable to do a full season arc so he kind of just went through the motions of episodes. Which is why alot of things just felt repeated and useless.

- Death of Lamb... It was SO NOT NEEDED! They killed one of the best characters and didn't even give him a good or meaningful death. Joe and I talked about this and they could have simply hurt Lamb to make Keith sheriff. Murder was just pointless and lame...

- Stand alone season - They made this season totally alone. It in no one had ANY ties to season 1 or 2, which made it feel weak. They needed to elaborate a bit on the Goodman family and I would have LOVED to see what Gia felt of Veronica and how everything went down.

Wow this list is getting long... In the end I just felt season 3 was NOT Veronica Mars and I like to think of the season 2 finale as the series finale. A Veronica Mars movie would really be nice to give the series a REAL finish cause it is really needed for the fans. I know there was rumors about it going into a comic book for season 4, but I just don't think it would have ANY charm or sass that the series had. The writing was good, but it was the cast that made it perfect.

Comment

My take on season three is that it was a little bit to VM what season four was to Buffy- disjointed, kinda out of touch, messy. The difference is, Buffy had the chance to re instate all the different 'loose ends' in the subsequent seasons, so VM, by being cancelled, just didn't have the chance to become redeemed and finish on a high note. So to me, it's not so much that the season lacked the tightness the others had (especially the first), but just that it was such a messy end rather than just a new place to work from for the next season. *sigh* I miss this show...

Comment

Originally posted by bknick View Post
              I agree with a lot of what you said, and I would change "almost forgot about Mac" to "almost forgot about Wallace, Weevil, and Keith". It felt kinda disjointed character-wise.

And personally, I think there was WAY too much Dick. Just much too much.
              I agree. I love Weevil but they gave up on him. It?s almost like they gave good screen time to Veronica, Logan and the plots.

For me, they made the characters seem like puppets, for the sake of plots.

Has anyone seen the extras in the S3 DVDS? They have a presentation for S4 and it was interesting. It also had Rob Thomas talking about the changes of the season, but I had to turn off because the guy was being boring.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
                - Death of Lamb... It was SO NOT NEEDED! They killed one of the best characters and didn't even give him a good or meaningful death. Joe and I talked about this and they could have simply hurt Lamb to make Keith sheriff. Murder was just pointless and lame...
                I forgot about Lambs death. Yeah this annoyed me too, I also loved his character and I thought the Veronica/Lamb scenes were brilliant. To be honest I didn't want Keith to become sheriff by this point, I think it could have been because I wasn't as bothered about his character in this season maybe.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
                  I agree. I love Weevil but they gave up on him. It?s almost like they gave good screen time to Veronica, Logan and the plots.

For me, they made the characters seem like puppets, for the sake of plots.

Has anyone seen the extras in the S3 DVDS? They have a presentation for S4 and it was interesting. It also had Rob Thomas talking about the changes of the season, but I had to turn off because the guy was being boring.
                  The Rob Thomas stuff on the season 3 DVD set was a joke. Those mini scene commentaries, I don't understand why we didn't get full episode commentaries. He picked bad scenes to talk about and he had NO charisma and was very uninteresting to listen to. He also seemed to belittle the show and the fans a bit, especially when talking about the series finale cliff hanger. I believe he said something along the lines of: even if this is the last scene of the show, leaving things unanswered - oh well. It's pretty.

I really wish we got Kristen Bell for some commentaries cause she would have livened it up.

This is I think the one and only time that I wish a series creator was taken OFF the show. It would have been a lot better to get some fresh eyes on the series.

Comment

I agree with all you said. It even feels sometimes that he became too ****y and dismissed the show a little. He was also saying that he didn?t see Veronica as mean this season and was surprised at some fans. When the creator of a show dismisses the fans like that, it?s not good.
                    What do you think?

Comment

I don't really know what Rob Thomas was thinking, I can't speak for him, but it seemed like he was more concerned about having a show rather then having a GOOD show. If you've heard the commentary he put on his website for the series pilot (it was never put on the DVD...) Rob is very interesting and brings up some AMAZING behind the scene notes and I couldn't get enough of it. He seemed to care about the fans... and then listening to him talk about season 3 - it felt like he just gave up and did as TheCW wanted... It was upsetting.

Rob Thomas kinda just rolled over - something Joss Whedon really never did

Comment

This just in: Rob Thomas is writing a Veronica Mars movie, and the whole cast is coming back.

Going back to season 3, I don?t know why they changed the format of the show. The CW and Rob Thomas totally dismissed the fans. Maybe they wanted something safe, a show that wouldn?t push the envelope. And what did you think of the S3 credits? Really weird, but Rob once again said he liked it, it was fine.

Comment

In regards to the movie: Yes Rob Thomas is writing a film, and the cast has said they had interest to return (Kristen Bell said she would be more then happy to come back). But just because Rob said he is writing it, it doesn't mean the movie will ever be made. So until filming starts I won't get my hopes up..

Any who, about season 3. The format was just a mess, they tried to make it so people didn't have to watch the entire season and could just jump in at any episode... which defeats the ENTIRE point of the series...

The opening credits were... Well needed. The original credits were SO high school and the new ones were very stylized and made the show look a lot darker and a lot better then the season had actually been.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
                            In regards to the movie: Yes Rob Thomas is writing a film, and the cast has said they had interest to return (Kristen Bell said she would be more then happy to come back). But just because Rob said he is writing it, it doesn't mean the movie will ever be made. So until filming starts I won't get my hopes up..

Any who, about season 3. The format was just a mess, they tried to make it so people didn't have to watch the entire season and could just jump in at any episode... which defeats the ENTIRE point of the series...

The opening credits were... Well needed. The original credits were SO high school and the new ones were very stylized and made the show look a lot darker and a lot better then the season had actually been.
                            The movie, I have hopes for should it get made. I dunno, I just feel that with the shows finale epsiode, it gave a TON of promise. The thought of Vinnie as Sheriff with The Fitzpatricks mingling with him, just makes it seem like it could be very dark.

That is why I liked the new opening credits so much! They were so much more noir than Season 1 and 2's and gave me a LOT of hope that this season was going to be so much more dark than the others. But alas, just like Season 3 it failed to deliver.

There are parts of Season 3 that I loved, I'll admit to that. If you watch it in one long run, like on DVD then it feels a lot better and more coherent. A show shouldn't have that problem though, the other two seasons were great without having to watch them all in a row like that.

My biggest problem with the season was 'There's Got To Be A Morning After Pill'. It was THE WORST thing to happen to the series and the worst episode of the series. IMO it is the episode that killed everything for me. The one that showed that Rob really didn't know what was going on, and that he had let the network get to him. I refuse to rewatch that episode. Period. I have ranted about why this episode was the downfall of the series, and killed anything that had anything to do with continuity... so I won't get into it again, unless for some insane reason people want me too... but yeah.

I had MEGA high hopes for Season 3 when I saw the premiere because it was SO GOOD, but it just went down down down.

OHWELL. I do enjoy parts of it, and that is better than hating it all right?
                            Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

Personally, after Buffy. VMars was my second av. show of all time....up till season three. I actually wasn't dissapointed with the Season finale, but the episodes before that were Brutal!

In my opinion, if they had just stretched the rape or Dean O'dell murder a bit longer it would have been fine. We might still be discussing Veronica Mars... sob... But i agree with everyone of you points. They are all true. As for the Logan Veronica thing: Amen sista! And poor Mac. They dfinitely hacked her up. Still give it a 5/5 cuz I'm a VMars druggie, but it's nothing compared to the BAM!ness of seasons one and two.

Comment

Working...
                              X