2x15 Gone with the Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x15 Gone with the Will

So.....yeah. I'm pretty pissed at the writers, for doing what they did--I think they've just killed Chair. Especially after last week's epp. And I'm furious.

I'm also mad at the CW--it looks like their promo monkeys are at work again with the GG promos, with some stuff that definitely wasn't in the epp ("she wouldn't touch you." "Why don't you ask her." etc) and with a huge mislead, having Jack's voice saying, "We're going to have such a good time together." over the image of Chuck (unseen) holding out flowers when he was trying to make up to Blair. Reminds me of Veronica Mars season 3 at its worst....

True, they might have cut that earlier stuff....but it doesn't make sense anyway. Since when did Jack and Blair sleep together? And why? Their discussion of it this epp was so random and out of the blue and illogical I almost feel like I dreamed that part of the epp..... I felt like I missed something, and it would be another epic FAIL on the writers' part--why would Blair be sleeping around with Jack or doing ANYTHING with him when at that time she was all worried about Chuck?! I mean, seriously, let's try keeping things within IC reason--you were doing so well before, writers.... Last week's epp was definitely better in all of these regards....(seriously, why the hate for that epp anyway? I'm curious...I thought it was a fine epp!).

The Rufus/Lily storyline was awesome though, especially when she admits she still loves him and they kiss and when they have sex AGAIN--lol, it's like, "Hm, let's make another baby while we look for the first one!" And their holding hands IN FRONT OF THEIR KIDS was so shocking (so I guess they're all going to be open now?), but awesome at the same time! I would so love for them to have the chance to finally be together, and for D/S to be together at the same time. There has been a precedent in Clueless, as Serena said, and nothing beats that!

I am intrigued about the kid thing though--I was really fooled, I thought the writers had conveniently killed the kid off to help D/S be less squicky, but this adds new drama....I feel like the writers won't be able to let this go, that we'll see this kid someday, somehow. I can't wait to find out when....

So, what did you all think?
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Quite honestly, I loved "Gone with the Will." There were only a couple things that really bothered me and both of those blew over by the end of the episode.

Lily/Rufus was fantastic. Really touching and heartbreaking but also really...I dunno...optimistic? It's nice that Lily's really confessed that she is still so very in love with Rufus and I love that now they seem to be REALLY back together...right when Dan and Serena fix things up for themselves. Now THAT'S gonna be awkward. Especially after that nifty "Van der Humphrey" scene at the very end. Now THAT was some great directing, acting, and cinematography. Really put me in the scene, personally, and it was so adorable.

Speaking of Dan/Serena...The first of my complaints was how ridiculous and out of line Penelope and Company were by instigating the attacks on Dan. That really actually pissed me off quite a bit. Raiding his locker? Stealing his cell phone? They're not even THAT good of friends with Serena - if they're friends at all. It seems like they just WANT to be her friend since she only ever put up with them when she was Queen Bee (or rather, Queen S) for a few episodes. But the big reveal scene when Serena, Eric, and Jenny find out was really well-done - as was the "talk" scene.

Eric/Jenny was pretty comical. It's nice to see that Jonathan hasn't disappeared into nothingness and that Eric didn't randomly get another new boyfriend. Jenny latching onto them seems pretty in-character and is quite funny. Especially when Eric just yells "YOU'RE ANNOYING!" It really amped up the "sibling"-squabble-factor.

Nate/Vanessa! The candy store scene was really cute. I can't even put my finger on why but I just had to squee at that moment. Jessica Szohr was great with her transition from giddy-two-month-anniversary-girl to whoa-my-oprah-best-friend-girl. I also really enjoyed the scene between Nate and Dan over public controversy's. Now THAT'S one (b)romance I'd love to see come to fruition...You know it's already there...

And that brings us to Blair and Chuck. Blair was...forgettable in this episode except for when she finally gave up on Chuck. But Chuck? Chuck was, dare I say it, fantastic...until we decided to relive "Much I Do About Nothing" and go through the motions of seeing Chuck choosing polygamy over Blair...AGAIN. It's futile! We know how it'll end up eventually. Now what? Will Chuck be "chasing after Blair" like he was at the beginning of the season while Blair's hooking up with Jack (this is just a prediction)? Or will they be childishly sabotaging each other until they realize that they belong together? I'm so over Blair/Chuck. I really am. I want the REAL Blair back! Not this watered-down "romantic" version of her.

As far as Jack/Blair is concerned...I can see it working. He's not unattractive. He's actually much hotter than Chuck, in my personal opinion - but that's not saying much since I think that Ed Westwick is one of the most unattractive men on television (no offense to Ed...he didn't pick his face... ). And Blair is notorious for swiftly moving from heartbreak to hookup. Essentially, the writers are having us relive the Nate-Blair-Chuck triangle only with a role reversal and Jack in the mix. Blair is heartbroken over Chuck...sleeps with Jack - it was meaningless, trust her...and now Chuck's back, a wreck over family issues, and she's back at his side, completely and utterly devoted to him. The only factor that we have yet to see play out for a second time is the hookup character (in this case, Jack) blackmailing Blair - but that could happen anytime now.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this episode. It was really great and had some nifty character and relationship development.
    wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
      As far as Jack/Blair is concerned...I can see it working. He's not unattractive. He's actually much hotter than Chuck, in my personal opinion - but that's not saying much since I think that Ed Westwick is one of the most unattractive men on television (no offense to Ed...he didn't pick his face... ). And Blair is notorious for swiftly moving from heartbreak to hookup. Essentially, the writers are having us relive the Nate-Blair-Chuck triangle only with a role reversal and Jack in the mix. Blair is heartbroken over Chuck...sleeps with Jack - it was meaningless, trust her...and now Chuck's back, a wreck over family issues, and she's back at his side, completely and utterly devoted to him. The only factor that we have yet to see play out for a second time is the hookup character (in this case, Jack) blackmailing Blair - but that could happen anytime now.
      Hmm, that's one way of putting it I guess....but I don't know, it's one thing to sleep with someone while heartbroken over a breakup, and quite another to do so while you're looking for the one you love! The situations don't really correlate, IMO....

And I don't know, Jack is much more of a creep than Chuck ever was--I've felt that way from the beginning. You get the feeling that he wouldn't have minded if Chuck *had* jumped off that roof, and you could see him working against Chuck's interests before then--very machiavellian.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
        Hmm, that's one way of putting it I guess....but I don't know, it's one thing to sleep with someone while heartbroken over a breakup, and quite another to do so while you're looking for the one you love! The situations don't really correlate, IMO....

And I don't know, Jack is much more of a creep than Chuck ever was--I've felt that way from the beginning. You get the feeling that he wouldn't have minded if Chuck *had* jumped off that roof, and you could see him working against Chuck's interests before then--very machiavellian.
        Well, we don't know for sure what Blair was up to and what she was like in the two weeks between 2.13 and 2.14. It's very possible that she WASN'T as invested in seaching for Chuck as she says she was or, maybe, she gave up around New Years, slept with Jack, realized her mistake, and then Jack found Chuck and we are where we are. It really just depends on how lenient you want to be with the writing, I think. You are looking at the deeper story, I'm looking at what's given at face value. You're very right, though, if Blair WAS searching for Chuck the entire time, then why WOULD she sleep with Jack? I do hope that we get that story soon.

More of a creep than Chuck? Jack's just a playboy, so far. He wants money, power, ladies, and, more importantly, a good time. We haven't seen Jack attempt to date rape anyone. I still can't let Chuck live THAT down. Not yet. So far, Jack and Chuck seem to be very parallel to one another. The only difference would be their ages. To me, at least. Chuck's manipulated the people he's supposed to love and care about for his own personal gain and Jack's just doing the same thing - albeit, in a grander scheme of things. Quite honestly, I think what Jack did was pretty genius - as underhanded and distasteful as it may have been. But, even still, Jack and Chuck seem to be two equals in my mind.
        wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
          More of a creep than Chuck? Jack's just a playboy, so far. He wants money, power, ladies, and, more importantly, a good time. We haven't seen Jack attempt to date rape anyone. I still can't let Chuck live THAT down. Not yet. So far, Jack and Chuck seem to be very parallel to one another. The only difference would be their ages. To me, at least. Chuck's manipulated the people he's supposed to love and care about for his own personal gain and Jack's just doing the same thing - albeit, in a grander scheme of things. Quite honestly, I think what Jack did was pretty genius - as underhanded and distasteful as it may have been. But, even still, Jack and Chuck seem to be two equals in my mind.
          Yeah, you're right, Chuck has been pretty "skeevy" (sorry, love that word, so funny when Serena said it last night!) too, but I don't know....I think it's because Jack is supposed to be Chuck's guardian, looking out for him (not trying to drive him into drugs and death and destruction and encouraging him to give in to his baser impulses, while all the while pretending to be looking after Chuck's interests), that makes him seem like much more of a creep than Chuck. Even Blair said she didn't trust him in the last epp, where Chuck was concerned....and I didn't blame her. So yeah, it's that reason that I find Jack to be a little worse than Chuck--or at least why I feel it in my gut. Truthiness and all that!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

So yeah I'm not really satisfied with this episode. Watching it was a really uneven experience for me. There were parts that I loved (such as Lily/Rufus, all the sibling stuff, Dan and Nate patching up their friendship) and parts I utterly loathed (like the destruction of Chair). Which brings me to:

So.....yeah. I'm pretty pissed at the writers, for doing what they did--I think they've just killed Chair. Especially after last week's epp. And I'm furious.
            I couldn't agree more, I'm beyond pissed off @ Josh Schwartz and the writers! These excuses for keeping Blair and Chuck apart are getting so beyond lame (not to mention repetitive), they are about on the same level of lameness as the whole Johnny thing in season 3 of the OC. Is there a specific reason why the writers cannot let Blair and Chuck be happy together for just one episode? Are they all such frakking sadists? Sorry about the rant but this really pisses me off!

Since when did Jack and Blair sleep together? And why? Their discussion of it this epp was so random and out of the blue and illogical I almost feel like I dreamed that part of the epp..... I felt like I missed something, and it would be another epic FAIL on the writers' part--why would Blair be sleeping around with Jack or doing ANYTHING with him when at that time she was all worried about Chuck?! I mean, seriously, let's try keeping things within IC reason--you were doing so well before, writers....
            Well it was mentioned in last week's ep that Blair and Jack hooked up on New Year's Eve. As for why, well sometimes you do stupid things when you are hurting, such as sleeping with a guy you really shouldn't. Maybe Blair drowned her sorrows and then somehow ended up having sex with Jack. I can understand that, if it happened like that. Of course I wish it hadn't happened.

Last week's epp was definitely better in all of these regards....(seriously, why the hate for that epp anyway? I'm curious...I thought it was a fine epp!).
            I totally agree! I don't get the hate either. 2.14 was not as strong as 2.13 IMO but it was a good episode.

As much as I hated the Chair development in this week's episode, I'm glad that Blair did not forgive Chuck, that she placed her self-esteem and sense of betrayal over her feelings for him. I loved what she said to him:

Blair: "I believed in you, your father believed in you. You're the only one who didn't."

That definitely rang true to me, I wish Chuck would get over his issues and finally believe in himself a bit as well. / sigh

The Rufus/Lily storyline was awesome though, especially when she admits she still loves him and they kiss and when they have sex AGAIN--lol, it's like, "Hm, let's make another baby while we look for the first one!" And their holding hands IN FRONT OF THEIR KIDS was so shocking (so I guess they're all going to be open now?), but awesome at the same time! I would so love for them to have the chance to finally be together, and for D/S to be together at the same time. There has been a precedent in Clueless, as Serena said, and nothing beats that!
            Agreed. Lily/Rufus were made of awesome in this ep, I loved every scene with them! And like Heather, I also deeply enjoyed all the sibling scenes, Jenny and Eric were so cute together. I'm not always a huge fan of Dan but this is the second episode in a row where he didn't annoy me. I sincerely hope that he and Serena can make it work despite their half-sibling. And yes I think that's definitely not the last we have heard of Lily and Rufus' son. Maybe he will find out himself and come to New York. Or his parents will tell him after all. I'm curious how this will all turn out.

I had to squee over the two bromance scenes in this episode. First off, Nate being there for Chuck at the reading of Bart's will and Chuck being really touched by that gesture. And then the beautiful scene between Dan and Nate with Nate apologising for the Jenny thing and the two of them patching things up, just lovely!

So I'm very torn about this episode. On the one hand I'm very furious with the writers because of Chair. On the other hand however, I think they did a good job with the rest of the storylines.

I think I'll need to rewatch my season 1 DVDs soon to remind myself how awesome Chair used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
              So yeah I'm not really satisfied with this episode. Watching it was a really uneven experience for me. There were parts that I loved (such as Lily/Rufus, all the sibling stuff, Dan and Nate patching up their friendship) and parts I utterly loathed (like the destruction of Chair). Which brings me to:
              Yes, it was very uneven for me as well, that sums it up!

I couldn't agree more, I'm beyond pissed off @ Josh Schwartz and the writers! These excuses for keeping Blair and Chuck apart are getting so beyond lame (not to mention repetitive), they are about on the same level of lameness as the whole Johnny thing in season 3 of the OC. Is there a specific reason why the writers cannot let Blair and Chuck be happy together for just one episode? Are they all such frakking sadists? Sorry about the rant but this really pisses me off!
              I know....they fear that C/B will become boring if they put them together for good, but I think it is becoming more boring by keeping them apart. The writers are digging themselves into a hole on this one...

Well it was mentioned in last week's ep that Blair and Jack hooked up on New Year's Eve. As for why, well sometimes you do stupid things when you are hurting, such as sleeping with a guy you really shouldn't. Maybe Blair drowned her sorrows and then somehow ended up having sex with Jack. I can understand that, if it happened like that. Of course I wish it hadn't happened.
              It was?! WHEN? I totally don't remember that.....

And yeah, in short, I think Rufus/Lily has jockeyed into first place as my favorite overall pairing, after this travesty....and just when a few epps ago I was feeling the C/B love stronger than ever! *sigh*

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I know....they fear that C/B will become boring if they put them together for good, but I think it is becoming more boring by keeping them apart. The writers are digging themselves into a hole on this one...
                I totally agree. I find it also quite offensive on the writers' part that they seem to have such little faith in their viewers. Would they really think that we would become bored with Chair as a couple so quickly? And is it so hard to write about a couple that stays together but does not become boring (as if Chuck and Blair could ever become boring!)? I get that they want to keep the show fresh and exciting and full of drama but I'm sure they could find a way if they really wanted to. Granted I do not really belong to Gossip Girl's target audience but I still believe that Josh Schwartz & co. should have more faith in their audience.

It was?! WHEN? I totally don't remember that.....
                Blair and Jack had a conversation about it at the end of episode 2.14, after the whole roof incident with Chuck. Jack and Blair put Chuck in the limo and then they briefly talked about hooking up on New Year's Eve. I can't find the exact quote right now but I remember being dismayed when I heard that.

And yeah, in short, I think Rufus/Lily has jockeyed into first place as my favorite overall pairing, after this travesty....and just when a few epps ago I was feeling the C/B love stronger than ever! *sigh*
                Right there with ya! / sigh At least Rufus/Lily brought me much joy in this episode but the destruction of Chair still hurts a lot, especially since it is so absolutely stupid and unnecessary.

Comment

They should have that fear with Dan & Serena....
                  Cause JEEZZZZZ! That is boring! Why can't Serena be single for a while and strong or something?
                  I think they're only hooking them up again because of Lily & Rufus and the kid ... and that being 'oh so dramatic'

I loved Blair in the last two episodes, she's becoming so much more a 3 dimensional character
                  But part of me likes to see the return of Queen B(itch), just for the fun of it. I don't understand what Penelope & co are working on... and that Nelly girl... seriously WTF?

It's funny though to see that Jenny was convincing Blair and that she didn't care at all, but she obviously still was the leader or something. Ghe, her sitting there, and not giving a sh*t

Comment

Working...
                  X