Ali Larter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali Larter

I was thinking about Ali Larter's character and how they've been ruining it as the show went on. When I watched the first episode, she was the only character that I really found interesting (and also Claire, but I couldn't stand Peter -still can't-). She was intriguing and mysterious, with her double personality. But then in season 2 they gave her another personality, just out of the blue, ruining her character completely. I mean, there was a reason for her Jessica schizophrenia (she was her dead sister and so on) but there was no excuse for her other personality, they just made Niki a complete psycho and that's it. And then in season 3 they decided to kill her off, and to put instead her triplet, Tracey, and that was just plain lame, I think. I just hope that now that Bryan Fuller is coming back he'll make thhings all right again somehow.
    Is it just my impression or do you agree with me?
    Last edited by cliomiao; 31-12-08, 05:42 PM.
    What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Niki was always my favorite character on the show from the first episode onwards and I think it was terrible what they did to the character over the course of the show. When I watched the first episode of the show, she stood out the most for me. Ali Larter played Niki/Jessica to absolute perfection!

Season Two had nothing in it that allowed Ali to exhibit her talents and I'm not entirely fond of the Tracy character yet. Let's hope that Bryan Fuller will make things more interesting now.
    Banner and avatar by Nina

Comment

I think the idea of triplets is interesting but I agree they have ruined Ali Larter on the show with Tracey. They have given her such a minimal part in the story for Season 3, she has become one of the most boring characters on the show. I think they could have done more with Tracey than they have.
      sigpic

Comment

I am probably one of the biggest Ali Larter fangirls in the world and I whole-heartedly agree.

From the very first episode, Niki Sanders just...grabbed my attention and never let go. I've never really had an absolutely favorite character in any TV show before so that just proves how majorly fond of Niki/Jessica I was. She had the most complicated and mysterious storyline in season 1 and the only "bad" part was that she was never involved with the overall storyline of the season - the explosion in New York City. The most she got involved was by being Micah's mother and by hitting Sylar over the head with a parking meter.

Then season 2 rolled around and, yes, they just ruined her character. Personally, I never bought the idea that Niki was suffereing from Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) in season 1. They emphasized too much about Jessica and dropped too many hints (including the appearance of the Symbol on her shoulder when Jessica takes over) for it to just be a mental disorder. It appeared as though the writers just gave up on any potential storylines for Niki (IE: if Jessica was really inside Niki or if Jessica was really alive and just taking control of Niki's body via body insertion) and forced her to the sidelines. She served as a plot device in season 3, basically. She got Micah to New Orleans, she got DL killed, she got Mohinder in place to have the showdown with Sylar...She served no purpose. The only thing that made me happy about what the writers did with Niki was that they gave her a truly heroic ending - she came full-circle from the single-mom trying to get by to the strong heroine. For me, she embodied just what the show was about - ordinary people, with extraordinary abilities, becoming heroes.

Again, I love Ali Larter so I was thoroughly relieved when they brought her back to play Tracy Strauss. She was incredibly mysterious and interesting - much like Niki was back in season 1 - and had so much potential to be the most original characters on the show that season. I was worried that she was just going to be a Niki-clone but was very relieved to discover that she was actually a twin. That, again, opened up so many opportunities for storylines and exploration into all three sisters' pasts.

But then she, much like Niki, became a plot-device, used solely to advance Nathan's storyline and to stand on the sidelines and look pretty. She started off strong and commanding and quickly became useless and peripheral. The best scene she got in the latter half of the season, in my opinion, was when she got punched in the face by Hiro.

To me, it seems like the writers didn't want to write off Ali Larter. That they, with good reason, just couldn't part ways with her. So, to fix their "mistake," they brought her back as Tracy Strauss - a brand new character. I don't know why they didn't follow through with any storylines for her but it's thoroughly upsetting to me. I almost wish that they had simply said that Niki escaped the burning building - perhaps with the help of DL who wasn't dead or maybe Jessica returned or something - and then wrapped up her storyline, sending her off into the sunset with Micah by the end of volume 3 or season 3 and THEN bringing in the triplet storyline. It would've been much more effective in terms of giving a reason for Ali Larter to even consider sticking around.

Hopefully the writers will fix their mistakes in volume 4 where Ali Larter is concerned. Even though Bryan Fuller was primarily involved with Claire's storyline in season 1, he seems to have a better idea of how to utilize and develop characters than anybody in the "Heroes" writers' room at the moment. I just hope he really turns things around - in a GOOD way - with Ali Larter's character(s).
        wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

I perfectly agree with Heather with Multiple Personality Disorder in season 1.. It was never made clear if it reaLLY was just a mental disease or something more... But of course they ruined this in season 2 with NIki's 3rd personality.
          What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by cliomiao View Post
            I perfectly agree with Heather with Multiple Personality Disorder in season 1.. It was never made clear if it reaLLY was just a mental disease or something more... But of course they ruined this in season 2 with NIki's 3rd personality.
            I wouldn't have had a problem with Gina had she been used more often in season 2 and hadn't just been a one-shot situation, an explanation for DL's death. Gina had a lot of potential to give Ali Larter some fun storylines - the drugged up party-girl with a dark past. It also would've allowed for exploration of Niki's past. Flashbacks, maybe, I don't know what it would entail but it had a lot of potential.

But just having Gina appear in 2.08 "Four Months Ago..." was pointless. It was fun for the moment but when she served no other purpose, it just seemed useless in the grand scheme of things.

Would've been especially fun if Jessica AND Gina co-existed inside Niki - much like a real personality disorder (since it's usually diagnosed when a patient has two or more personalities co-existing within their minds). Now THAT could've been some awesome Ali Larter material. Switching between the distressed mother, the badass bitch, and the childish party animal? Could've been awesome.

But, alas, we'll never know what would've happened...
            wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

I do agree that Ali's characters seem to get shafted alot. That's what I noticed alot about some characters in Tv shows, they don't always get to thier full potential (Like say Tara was meant to be a powerful witch, yet we don't get to see how exactly powerful she is, they could have expanded on that). Although Niki had some interesting storylines and got the spotlight but I think she's too overshadowed by Claire. Maya even gets more storylines then her in the 2nd season (Not really the 3rd though)

Let'as just hope maybe just maybe they are building Tracy up to what could and should be a looong storyline on her. She's the only character (Niki/Tracy) that didn't get to shine too often, Parkman got to shine throughout S2 more then S1.

Perhaps the writers didn't want Niki or any of the girls overshadowing Claire for some reason, I like Claire I do but she gets tons of storylines, whereas with the boys they seem to share the spotlight *(Although Ando could use some storylines of his own).

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. And I wonder if the girl that Mr. Zimmerman mistook Tracy for will get more storylines or yet be shoved aside.

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
              Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

Working...
              X