The British version of Buffy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The British version of Buffy?

So imagine this...a teenager who is the descendant of a long race of warriors against the undead, has a couple of loyal sidekicks - one who is in love with them (although they're not interested), another is a cursed vampire and the third is an older guy as a mentor (who's called Rupert). Imagine that that teenager struggles to come to terms with their destiny but find the pull of it impossible to ignore - hmm? Is it me or does this sound familiar?

Ok then, how about the teenager is a British boy who's descended from the Van Helsings, the older mentor guy is an American, the friend in love is a female and the cursed vampire is called Mina Harker. I know it doesn't change the scenario a whole lot

So there we have it - a new ITV drama called Demons, starring Philip Glenister (Gene Hunt in Life on Mars) as Rupert Galvin. It starts on 3rd Jan at 7.30pm for 6 episodes, and strangely enough is being feted as the Britsh Buffy.
    Link

So what do we think? A total rip off and therefore definately going to be rubbish? Or a brave attempt at a British version of an US cult classic? Gonna watch it or stay far, far away?
    sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

I knew about this show through frequent advertisments on all of the ITV stations, but not the specific parraells that it has with Buffy. Despite this, I think I think i'll give the show ago as I was orignally planning to do so anyways especially since its only six episodes and all!

What about you Ciderdrinker will you be tuning in?
    Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

Wow, sounds like a complete Buffy ripoff.
      sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Originally posted by Vampmaster View Post
        IWhat about you Ciderdrinker will you be tuning in?
        Yeah, of course! It may be complete rubbish, but it's gotta be worth a shot. It's like fanfic made for TV! And after all, BtVS wasn't exactly great in it's first season either.

Gotta say naming the mentor Rupert Galvin did make me chuckle!
        sigpic

Comment

Indded, if they are planning on completely ripping off the show could they not make it a little less obvious? lol.

I do however like the idea that Van Helsing being a real person and the protagonist of the show is his latest decendscant. At least they didn't decide to alter the mytharc of the slayer so that it would fit this show. Now that would have been just a little too far!

But why only six episodes! Thats one of the things I hate about British Drama its near enough always way too short!
          Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vampmaster View Post
            Indded, if they are planning on completely ripping off the show could they not make it a little less obvious? lol.

I do however like the idea that Van Helsing being a real person and the protagonist of the show is his latest decendscant. At least they didn't decide to alter the mytharc of the slayer so that it would fit this show. Now that would have been just a little too far!

But why only six episodes! Thats one of the things I hate about British Drama its near enough always way too short!
            I think if they were going to make a British version of Buffy then they should make a British version of Buffy and not take the whole premise and twist it a tiny little bit to pretend it's a new idea.

Making a slayer a man would be taking it too far I admit, but teaming up a descendant of Van Helsing with Mina Harker is a bit of a reach IMO. It's like they're just trying to make it fit Buffy - having the vampire hunter have a vampire on his side.

I wonder whether they asked Joss if they could take his show and remake it? Be interesting to know that!

I'm betting that they've only made 6 episodes because it's such a risky premise. I would expect that the only reason it made it onto TV in the first place was because Philip Glenister signed up, but then this is ITV we're talking about here not BBC - they're more risk takers than the good ole beeb, but usually with crappier results. They're definately going to go for the Doctor Who audience and putting it on a Saturday evening during the Doctor Who break may actually give it a fighting chance. Of course, there's another side - I expect that it would have to be truly terrible to make me not survive it for 6 episodes.

BTW I watched the interviews on the ITV website and found out the following things:-

The "gang" get there information on the demons from a huge library called, wait for it cos it's a good un...The Stacks

Philip Glenister has never watched Buffy.

They don't slay demons - they smite them.

Mina Harker is only a half vampire and uses dialysis to stop her becoming a full vampire. This has caused her to go blind, but she has "second sight" which makes up for it. If she chose to drink blood and become a full vampire her sight would return. She doesn't have a gypsy curse as I first thought.

Luke's best friend, Ruby, is taken hostage by a vampire in the first episode and that forces Luke to accept his destiny.

Mackenzie Crook may only be in one episode.
            sigpic

Comment

It's seems like rip off of Buffy to me, too much like Joss idea, except Joss wasn't stupid enough to make his heroin a direct "descendant" of a human vampire slayer like Van Helsing, which is so cliché. And the vampire ally, it's just too much! I mean, did they even had one original idea?

Comment

Well, it can't be worse than "Torchwood", so that's a start

I'll give it a look. I think it'll be interesting to see how their vampire mythology is constructed. There's really nothing to say about it being a "ripoff", I can't see where there's any kind of copyright or trademark issue there.

I'm going to guess it's not going to be aiming for funny the way "Buffy" did. This will be "Buffy" without any sense of irony and a male lead.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Somewhat related - There was a show fairly recently that debuted in the States that is called Moonlight. I remembered getting exasperated at its audacity in using of the main elements of Angel. It is about "a vampire private investigator who fights evil and struggles to come to terms with his existence and his love for a mortal woman." I was even more perplexed when I found that many others were ready to lap it up, no questions asked. I refused to watch the show, and completely understand the consternation by those who believe many of these 'copycats' to be rubbish. However, I have settled down a bit since then. Although I haven't watched Moonlight, I can understand that there are people that desire to watch something in their favorite genre or get anything remotely close to the Jossverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhermit View Post
                    Somewhat related - There was a show fairly recently that debuted in the States that is called Moonlight. I remembered getting exasperated at its audacity in using of the main elements of Angel. It is about "a vampire private investigator who fights evil and struggles to come to terms with his existence and his love for a mortal woman." I was even more perplexed when I found that many others were ready to lap it up, no questions asked. I refused to watch the show, and completely understand the consternation by those who believe many of these 'copycats' to be rubbish. However, I have settled down a bit since then. Although I haven't watched Moonlight, I can understand that there are people that desire to watch something in their favorite genre or get anything remotely close to the Jossverse.
                    If you had watched Moonlight you'd know that, although it did have some similarities in it's initial concept to Angel, the series was very different to the vampire mythology and the backstory of it's vampire star, which made it much more watchable IMO. Angel itself has been said to be a rip off of an earlier vampire show, Dark Knight I think it was called.

This new show is different in the respect that there is so much similarity that it has to be intentional, I mean they call the older mentor type guy Rupert and his surname begins with 'G' - that can't be a coincidence. I would even go as far to say this is a Buffy reboot, whereas Moonlight just appeared to be very similar because of the premise.

If Buffy were to return to TV, most of us would love it to be the original actors and a continuation of the story, but if we were offered a re-boot with the same stories but new actors I think we'd still give it a go. This is sort of like that, but because it has been twisted to make it look like a completely new story we're concerned.

There's a subtle but distinct difference.
                    sigpic

Comment

I imagine this is going to be a kids show, no? So more like the Sarah Jane Adventures than Buffy? THough Philip G does look very like Giles on the Radio Times promo.

Mina Harker-as-vampire is a ripoff from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Though I imagine she won't be having rough sx with Quatermain in this one.

Child actors, never promising... but you never know. i'll give it a go. I did enjoy some of Merlin after all.
                      Last edited by Wolfie Gilmore; 29-12-08, 12:16 AM.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                        I imagine this is going to be a kids show, no? So more like the Sarah Jane Adventures than Buffy? THough Philip G does look very like Giles on the Radio Times promo.

Mina Harker-as-vampire is a ripoff from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Though I imagine she won't be having rough sx with Quatermain in this one.

Child actors, never promising... but you never know. i'll give it a go. I did enjoy some of Merlin after all.
                        Dunno where you got the kids show from? The character who is the descendant of Van Helsing, Luke, is 17 and therefore his friend, Ruby, is about the same age and they go to college together - that's like 2 years older than Buffy was when it started. From the looks of the ITV website it's aimed directly at the DW audience not the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I agree that PG does look a bit like Giles in some of the piccies, but that's only in the distance, and again looks intentional.

I don't really have high hopes for it being very good, but you know I'll still watch it!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
                          Dunno where you got the kids show from? The character who is the descendant of Van Helsing, Luke, is 17 and therefore his friend, Ruby, is about the same age and they go to college together - that's like 2 years older than Buffy was when it started.
                          Hmm, not sure where I got the idea from either! It just seemed a bit Citv from one of the reviews I think. Maybe it's cos the actors look younger than the ones on Buffy?

I don't really have high hopes for it being very good, but you know I'll still watch it!
                          Yup, me too! I really like the woman playing Mina (she was on Survivors).

EDIT: Just watched the trailer. Looks quite fun actually. Though the accent he's using (Glennister) is dodgy. Hopefully he'll settle into it.
                          Last edited by Wolfie Gilmore; 29-12-08, 09:26 AM.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I saw the trailer. It doesn't look very promising (the big baddy is so lame!) But the guy looks hot shirtless, so I'll give it a chance!
                            What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

I was staring at those pictures and I was so sure that I knew that actor who plays Luke. And yes, it's Ross the hot UNIT agent from Doctor Who. *yay* And he was also Will's little brother in Robin Hood.

I think that I'll give it a try, I'm not allergic for cheesy monsters and effects. And it sounds nice.

Comment

I keep seeing the adverts for this and so I might have a look, I'm not thinking of it as a Buffy spin off though. Vamp/demon shows are big news at the moment.
                                sigpic

Comment

I saw the trailers for this and thought it looked really good and had planned on watching it! I didn't know all the info about it though and now that I've read all that it does seem like a total Buffy rip off! I'll still watch the first ep though out of curiosity.

Comment

That was a really well written start to the thread ciderdrinker... hehe, it was really engaging

I'm reserving judgment until I watch the show... which is starting now... -runs away-

x
                                    "Blue in the face with a choking regret."

Comment

First episode: promising. I'm willing to watch more and see if it grips me.

Philip Glenister with an American accent takes a bit of getting used to! But then again, his northern accent in Life on Mars was just as fake. And I know I've seen that lad in something else, when he was about 12 - Where the Heart Is, perhaps? Haven't watched that in years, but I think that might have been it.

The show had good things and bad things about it. A few cringe/eye roll moments, but also some potentially intriguing twists. I know lot of people are calling it a Buffy rip-off, and yeah there are a lot of similarities, but it's more of an mixture of a lot of different sources - jumping on board what is a pretty popular genre at the moment! And there are people out there who will call just about any 'supernatural' show a Buffy rip-off - even Doctor Who! Any supernaturally-themed shows are going to draw obvious comparisons with one another, but it's how they make the concept their own that matters.

In this time slot it is never going to be hugely sophisticated, just like Doctor Who, but on the whole it was entertaining. I'm willing to watch more and see where they take it.

Comment

My less then glowing review of the proceedings..

Spoiler:

What a sad old load of Buffy wannabe daftness that was...And whats up with 'Gene Hunt's awful American accent? Couldn't they let him have an English one?

Basically the gag is a kid finds out he's a male 'Slayer or 'Smiter' as they're called in the show (a decedent of Van Helsing no less), and together with a dozy girly and an American 'Giles' (representing a Watcher type secret organization that fights demons) they fight the 'freaks' living amongst the human population in the city.

It's the usual weak nonsense ripped off from half a dozen other better shows. And by god It sounds a lot more interesting then it actually was, even with Makenzie Crook (looking like a cross between a Teddy boy and a Budgie) playing the lead villain of the piece.

The acting was weak, and the bloke playing 'Buffy' was rather forgettable too which didn't help. Also whats with all this 'Smiting' nonsense? *sigh* Give me a break.

Armed with a gun who's design looked as though it was ripped off from the Van Helsing movie our hero is all set to take up the mantle left by his descendent's and carry on the fight against evil...blah, blah, blah..

I'll try and give it house room every week, so to speak, but judging by the opening episode I'm not all that fussed. *goes back to her watching AtS DVD's...

Comment

Working...
                                        X