2.13 "O Brother, Where Bart Thou?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.13 "O Brother, Where Bart Thou?"

Wow! I'm speechless. What a fantastic episode and what a perfect midseason finale! It may have been the saddest GG episode ever and personally I loved it but then again I have always been a sucker for angst.

I expected to be moved by Chuck's grief but I had no idea it would hit me this hard. I have rarely cried during a GG ep but this one certainly made me weepy. This was mostly due to Ed Westwick's flawless performance of grieving, desperate, vindictive, broken Chuck! Ed showed so much vulnerablility even when Chuck was being mean or said horrible things and when he finally broke down in Blair's arms, that was one of the saddest and best moments of the entire show (well at least IMO). Chair was so bittersweet in this episode, it was a regular rollercoaster of emotions for me. In one scene I was awwing and squeeing, for example when Blair was so supportive of Chuck at the funeral and when she finally told him she loved him and her whole speech before that, or during the aforementioned breaking down scene or seeing the two of them sleeping in Blair's bed with Blair looking concerned or even Chuck's line "you deserve so much better" in his letter to her at the end. And then in the next scene, the writers decided to rip my Chair shipping heart out, for example when when he was so mean to her after she told him she loved him or the fact that he left at the end. Of course I know that he will be back but my heart broke for Blair when she was waking up in her empty bed with Chuck gone. So shipping-wise, this was a very intense, beautiful and emotional episode for me.

Same goes for Lilly/Rufus. Just as I was squeeing that they were finally going to be together, Cece drops the illegitimate child bomb and things are looking very grim for Lufus now. I don't think that Cece did it out of spite, I actually understood her reasoning. Poor Rufus, he looked so hurt when he found out the truth. On the other hand, I can understand Lilly as well, this really was the worst possible time for something like that to come out. I was spoiled for the whole lovechild scenario so that was no real shocker and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Seems very soapy to me. *shrugs*

Lilly said that everyone grieves in a different way and that is certainly true. Chuck lashed out at pretty much everyone before breaking down and showing his vulnerable side to Blair. I get that Lilly was upset by Chuck's scheming but I have to say that I find it unforgiveable on her part to tell him that it weren't for Chuck, Bart wouldn't have driven to the ball and the accident wouldn't have happened. That's just not something you say to someone who has just lost their parent. Yes I know she said that she didn't blame Chuck but she should have known how much that would hurt him and while I usually love Lilly, I really disliked her in that scene.

The wedding was a bit of a surprise but I have to say I liked that the writers showed both death and life (as symbolised by the wedding) in one episode. The ceremony was actually quite moving and I love that Blair and Cyrus seem to be getting along so well now that she even opened up to him about her feelings for Chuck and let him comfort her. Eleanor was all moved by that as well. And can I just squee a moment about how cute Dorota was at the wedding? She was like a giddy little girl, being all excited and practically jumping up and down. I love Dorota!

The only thing that I did not like in this amazing episode was the whole Dan/Serena/Aaron storyline. This is just all so boring and I wish they would write Dan and Aaron out of the show. I do like Serena when she is being Blair's friend or Eric's sister or when she is being a wild party girl. I do not like relationship Serena, at least not when she is in a relationship with Dan and/or Aaron. So enough with this stuff already!

I also have to mention the once again awesome music playing during this episode. Hearing two of my favourite bands (Bloc Party and The National) in one episode was a real treat and the songs Josh Schwartz & co. picked throughout the episode fit the happenings on screen perfectly.

So overall, I was blown away by this episode and I can't believe that we have to wait until January 5th to find out what happens next. Hopefully, the rest of season 2 will be just as amazing.

My thoughts?

-Dan/Serena/Aaron: Irritating. The fact that Serena and Dan still have feelings for each other is believable and all and I loved them as a couple in season 1 but it's time to move on. And Aaron is easily my least favorite character that the show has ever introduced. His jealousy, in my opinion, was completely ridiculous and inappropriate - especially see as he was the one dating several girls at once not one week ago. Of course Serena's still going to have feelings for her ex-boyfriend, to some extent, but be grateful she even chose you in the first place, you fiend-who-is-afraid-to-shower!

-Waldorf Wedding: Aww! Happiest moment of the episode! Thomas said it in the VIP Lounge and I agree: Blair has the best family. Blair opening up to Cyrus and crying on his shoulder was so touching and adorable and her being supportive of her mother in the end was really fantastic. I loved Jenny's brief involvement in the event, too. It was really sweet of her to offer to make her the outfit.

-Lufus: They're my number one ship on the show and have been since the first episode of the series. Is it really that strange that I love the parents on a teenage show more than most of the teenager characters? It IS a teen drama afterall, so it must be weird...Anyway, it was absolutely heartbreaking to see their plans fall through yet again but this time - despite the spiffy parallels to last season - it just seemed too frustrating to accept. Rufus has every right to be pissed off at Lily for not telling him that they had a kid together but he really should let her explain first before writing off ever having a relationship with her again. And CeCe! That coniving bitch! I wanted to smack her when she went against her daughter's wishes and allowed for Chuck to get the information. Oh well, I'm glad she's back to her old self. The CeCe from 2.01 was too nice for her own good...

-The Funeral: Aww! Sad. I loved seeing everybody come together for the funeral. The scene was filmed and directed beautifully. I especially enjoyed the music during this scene. Found it funny that Nate only showed up for this one scene and then disappeared, too.

-The Blair: I already said that I loved her opening up to Cyrus and accepting his marriage to her mother but she was truly fantastic last night. What with finally telling Chuck she loves him and, no matter what, still loving him after her rudely rejected her and drove off...It's touching. And the scene when she was trying to convince her mother that she couldn't get married the next day and everything kept going against her was hilarious. I also enjoyed the scene when she and Nate talk about Chuck and are taking care of Chuck on the way to the funeral.

-The Lily: The highlight of the episode. So much character exploration and growth, in my opinion. She was the star for me. I was so proud of Lily when she slapped Chuck and when she talked to him at the end about sticking with family and whatnot. As far as her line to Chuck when she said he never should've called Bart...She was right! She wasn't trying to say it was all Chuck's fault. She was trying to say that you can look at it anyway and blame whoever you want but it was nobody's fault (though, in my opinion, it WAS Chuck's fault. He had no business calling Bart and, if he hadn't, there never would've been an accident). I admire her strength and ability to keep things together when the glue is clearly coming undone. Kelly Rutherford gave her best performance yet, in my opinion!

-The Chuck: And I am going to be the black sheep. I kept wishing that Chuck had died through almost all of this episode - up until he listened to Lily and burned the information about her past. Yes, his father died. Yes, he probably is dealing with the regret of never having a relationship with him. Yes, he deserves to mourn. But by no means does he deseve to hurt the people around him. Blaming Lily was completely unnecessary and calling her a whore and a slut because she was never fully committed to the relationship? Is that a joke? Chuck couldn't last a week in a relationship and at least Lily remained faithful (once they were actually married...)! At the funeral, he goes and blames DAN?! And almost gets into a fight with DAN?! If that's not the most ridiculous thing ever, then I don't know what is. Dan had as much to do with Bart's death as Dorota did (unless she was driving the other car...?! OMG! PLOT TWIST!) Then he completely broke Eric's heart when the boy was honestly saying that he needs his brother and rejects Eric? Again, completely unnecessary and obnoxious. Leaving Blair when she tells him she loves him? I so wished she would've smacked him like Lily did. The best thing Chuck did and the only thing that I could respect Chuck for in the episode was buring the evidence about Lily and showing up in Blair's room. Though, of course, he ruins THAT by leaving again...

Ed Westwick did just fine with the material he was given. He certainly wasn't the best part of the episode for me considering I hated Chuck in almost every scene he was in. My biggest issue with Ed Westwick's performance was his voice. Yes, I realize he's European but you could so tell that he couldn't maintain the American accent throughout the episode. He sounded like he was hoarse and dying when he was yelling at Dan at the funeral. Plus, I've never been fond of the way Ed talks but it never bothered me as much as it did last night.

Overall? It was jam-packed with multiple storylines and had plenty of character growth and development. However, the fact that I hated Chuck in almost every scene of the episode and want Aaron brutally murdered ruined how awesome of an episode this was. I'll have to give a 4/5. Maybe my expectations were too high?
    wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
      -The Chuck: And I am going to be the black sheep. I kept wishing that Chuck had died through almost all of this episode - up until he listened to Lily and burned the information about her past. Yes, his father died. Yes, he probably is dealing with the regret of never having a relationship with him. Yes, he deserves to mourn. But by no means does he deseve to hurt the people around him. Blaming Lily was completely unnecessary and calling her a whore and a slut because she was never fully committed to the relationship? Is that a joke? Chuck couldn't last a week in a relationship and at least Lily remained faithful (once they were actually married...)! At the funeral, he goes and blames DAN?! And almost gets into a fight with DAN?! If that's not the most ridiculous thing ever, then I don't know what is. Dan had as much to do with Bart's death as Dorota did (unless she was driving the other car...?! OMG! PLOT TWIST!) Then he completely broke Eric's heart when the boy was honestly saying that he needs his brother and rejects Eric? Again, completely unnecessary and obnoxious. Leaving Blair when she tells him she loves him? I so wished she would've smacked him like Lily did. The best thing Chuck did and the only thing that I could respect Chuck for in the episode was buring the evidence about Lily and showing up in Blair's room. Though, of course, he ruins THAT by leaving again...
      Wow we completely disagree on Chuck in this episode then. To be honest, I kinda expected him to react the way he did. IMO it's perfectly in character for Chuck to be lashing out at everyone when he is hurting. I'm not saying that it is an admirable character trait (obviously it isn't) but I'm willing to cut him some slack (as was Blair) because he was seriously grieving. Not only for his father's death but for the relationship he could have had with his father, for no longer having a family at all (as he sees it, I don't agree with him on this point), maybe even for his entire childhood. Chuck did not lash out at Dan because it made sense but because Dan was there and Chuck needed to ease the pain a little by blaming someone else because I think deep down he does blame himself at least partly for his father's death. Grieving people do not have to make sense, especially not on the day when they bury their father. That's my opinion at least and for me Chuck's development over the course of the episode was in character and relatable.

As for the Lilly/Chuck conversation, I stick by my opinion that it was an insensitive thing of Lilly to say. However, kudos to Lilly for being the one who told Chuck that she hoped he wouldn't be like his father and wouldn't turn away from the people he loved (or something along those lines). Apparently, Chuck listened to her because in the next scene he went to see Blair. I'm not trying to make Lilly the bad guy here, I'm really not, I don't blame her for Bart's death, just like I don't blame Chuck. That particular line just struck me as something very insensitive to say and I didn't expect that coming from Lilly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
        Wow we completely disagree on Chuck in this episode then. To be honest, I kinda expected him to react the way he did. IMO it's perfectly in character for Chuck to be lashing out at everyone when he is hurting. I'm not saying that it is an admirable character trait (obviously it isn't) but I'm willing to cut him some slack (as was Blair) because he was seriously grieving. Not only for his father's death but for the relationship he could have had with his father, for no longer having a family at all (as he sees it, I don't agree with him on this point), maybe even for his entire childhood. Chuck did not lash out at Dan because it made sense but because Dan was there and Chuck needed to ease the pain a little by blaming someone else because I think deep down he does blame himself at least partly for his father's death. Grieving people do not have to make sense, especially not on the day when they bury their father. That's my opinion at least and for me Chuck's development over the course of the episode was in character and relatable.
        I think it also doesn't help that I'm not Chuck's biggest fan, though. Most of the time, he's funny and just...whatever, to me. Like Nate. He's just sorta there. The only times I really like him is when he's involved with Blair. I can't relate to him and I can't invest myself in him - he's too nasty and vicious and, in my opinion, obnoxious for me to really care about. And his voice grates on my nerves...

So perhaps is just the fact that I've never been a huge fan of Chuck's that drives my strong disliking of his actions and what he said in the episode. But nothing justifies him lashing out at Eric, of all people. Lily, Eric...they're grieving just like Chuck is. It's just as insensitive for him to bitch out everybody around him as it is for Lily to bring up the idea that Chuck is just as responsible for Bart's death as she is...

Which brings me to...

Originally posted by Cori
        As for the Lilly/Chuck conversation, I stick by my opinion that it was an insensitive thing of Lilly to say. However, kudos to Lilly for being the one who told Chuck that she hoped he wouldn't be like his father and wouldn't turn away from the people he loved (or something along those lines). Apparently, Chuck listened to her because in the next scene he went to see Blair. I'm not trying to make Lilly the bad guy here, I'm really not, I don't blame her for Bart's death, just like I don't blame Chuck. That particular line just struck me as something very insensitive to say and I didn't expect that coming from Lilly.
        Again, Lily's grieving, too. I'm one of the people who believes that she DID love Bart to some extent but that she loves Rufus more. And that's not her fault. Honestly, I don't believe that Bart loved her that much, either. But she was grieving, too. Chuck was being completely insensitive, too, by calling her a slut and a whore every five seconds and outright blaming her for Bart's death.

It's just a two way street, in my opinion. Lily never fully loved Bart, but Chuck didn't either...

Comment

This was mostly due to Ed Westwick's flawless performance of grieving, desperate, vindictive, broken Chuck!
          I'll admit, that I was impressed with his performance. He played intoxicated grief-stricken boy very well.

I was spoiled for the whole lovechild scenario so that was no real shocker and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Seems very soapy to me. *shrugs*
          I wasn't spoiled for it but I also though ti was pretty obvious. I never gave her secret much thought and then while they were alluding to it so much during th ep I couldn't think of anything else it could have been. And then Cece showed up and had her say and I was pretty convinced from there.

Yeah...it is soapy. I watched only one ep of the new 90210 and there was something like that going on too. However, this is a teen series that treats their adult characters well and I do think it opens up some interesting things to explore for the couple.

The wedding was a bit of a surprise
          Dude, if it means we get more Wallace Shawn I am all on board!

I also have to mention the once again awesome music playing during this episode.
          There were some petty sweet tunes and some really nice montages in this ep. I'm a sucker for a good montage!

So overall, I was blown away by this episode and I can't believe that we have to wait until January 5th to find out what happens next. Hopefully, the rest of season 2 will be just as amazing.
          Oh, I can wait. January is going to kick my freakin' ass. Everything I love is coming back in January!!!! Lost, Battlestar, Burn Notice, 24 ... PLUS all my regular network shows. How will I keep up?! I can barely get by now!

-Dan/Serena/Aaron: Irritating.
          'Nuff said!

And CeCe! That coniving bitch! I wanted to smack her when she went against her daughter's wishes and allowed for Chuck to get the information. Oh well, I'm glad she's back to her old self. The CeCe from 2.01 was too nice for her own good...
          Really? I thought she was the same nice version of Cece. It sounded to me as if she were attempting to facilitate a Lily/Rufus union by exposing the truth. Because that is one big deception or secret or bombshell to build a relationship on. I thought she was trying to get it in the open so they could work through it; I didn't see her as sabotaging them. :/
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I think it also doesn't help that I'm not Chuck's biggest fan, though. Most of the time, he's funny and just...whatever, to me. Like Nate. He's just sorta there. The only times I really like him is when he's involved with Blair. I can't relate to him and I can't invest myself in him - he's too nasty and vicious and, in my opinion, obnoxious for me to really care about. And his voice grates on my nerves...

So perhaps is just the fact that I've never been a huge fan of Chuck's that drives my strong disliking of his actions and what he said in the episode. But nothing justifies him lashing out at Eric, of all people. Lily, Eric...they're grieving just like Chuck is. It's just as insensitive for him to bitch out everybody around him as it is for Lily to bring up the idea that Chuck is just as responsible for Bart's death as she is...
            Ah yes and I guess it helps that I'm a complete Chuck fangirl so I'm more willing to cut him some slack when he behaves like an ass. And you are a Lilly fan so you side with her.

And I think Ed's voice is actually very sexy and it fits the character of Chuck perfectly!

Which brings me to...

Again, Lily's grieving, too. I'm one of the people who believes that she DID love Bart to some extent but that she loves Rufus more. And that's not her fault. Honestly, I don't believe that Bart loved her that much, either. But she was grieving, too. Chuck was being completely insensitive, too, by calling her a slut and a whore every five seconds and outright blaming her for Bart's death.

It's just a two way street, in my opinion. Lily never fully loved Bart, but Chuck didn't either...
            Yes Lilly is grieving as well but IMO her grief for a husband I'm not really sure she has ever truly loved (at least not as much as she loves Rufus) doesn't compare to the grief of a teenager who has lost his only remaining parent. But that's just me.

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
            I'll admit, that I was impressed with his performance. He played intoxicated grief-stricken boy very well.
            Agreed!

Yeah...it is soapy. I watched only one ep of the new 90210 and there was something like that going on too. However, this is a teen series that treats their adult characters well and I do think it opens up some interesting things to explore for the couple.
            I hope you are right and the show will treat this storyline with the necessary dignity and that it's not some cheap ploy just to keep Lilly and Rufus apart.

Dude, if it means we get more Wallace Shawn I am all on board!
            I didn't know the actor before but his portrayal of Cyrus has really grown on me. He was so sweet to Blair!

There were some petty sweet tunes and some really nice montages in this ep. I'm a sucker for a good montage!
            Yes me too.

Really? I thought she was the same nice version of Cece. It sounded to me as if she were attempting to facilitate a Lily/Rufus union by exposing the truth. Because that is one big deception or secret or bombshell to build a relationship on. I thought she was trying to get it in the open so they could work through it; I didn't see her as sabotaging them. :/
            Agreed, that's exactly how I saw Cece's motivation as well. And she is right, if Lufus ever wants a chance to make it as a couple, something this huge cannot stand between them.

Comment

First of all, I loved this episode. I was afraid I wouldn't, but I totally did On the other hand, I wish it had stopped with the scene of Blair comforting Chuck... It just would've been so much better then hehe... (No Love-baby revelations, no Chuck leaving Blair the note etc) Ah well... I comfort myself with that they're meant to be and will be some day (unless they pull a total Angel/Cordy and kill one of them off in which case I will be severely pissed )

I expected to be moved by Chuck's grief but I had no idea it would hit me this hard. I have rarely cried during a GG ep but this one certainly made me weepy. This was mostly due to Ed Westwick's flawless performance of grieving, desperate, vindictive, broken Chuck! Ed showed so much vulnerablility even when Chuck was being mean or said horrible things and when he finally broke down in Blair's arms, that was one of the saddest and best moments of the entire show (well at least IMO). Chair was so bittersweet in this episode, it was a regular rollercoaster of emotions for me. In one scene I was awwing and squeeing, for example when Blair was so supportive of Chuck at the funeral and when she finally told him she loved him and her whole speech before that, or during the aforementioned breaking down scene or seeing the two of them sleeping in Blair's bed with Blair looking concerned or even Chuck's line "you deserve so much better" in his letter to her at the end. And then in the next scene, the writers decided to rip my Chair shipping heart out, for example when when he was so mean to her after she told him she loved him or the fact that he left at the end. Of course I know that he will be back but my heart broke for Blair when she was waking up in her empty bed with Chuck gone. So shipping-wise, this was a very intense, beautiful and emotional episode for me.
              I very much agree with you. I must admit, I was a bit afraid of watching this episode as I was scared it would bring out too much of my own very recent pains. I myself attended a funeral this week, namely my sisters. And it did, Chuck's pain was so easy for me to connect to. The sadness of being ripped from the possibility of ever really knowing the person. The vulnerability, and the shame of it. I understand that Chuck doesn't want people to see how much he's hurting (which is why he lashed at Eric - to get him away, to make him not see - very understandable, though regrettable, in my opinion), because I'm very much the same. I hate crying in front of other people, or being vulnerable in any other way. So I saw myself in Chuck very much in this episode - and as Cori said - Westwick played him excellently. My favourite scene was definitely when he finally came to Blair's. The look on his face as he turns his head to look at her was so perfect. Sad, confused, ashamed and in pain. Perfect.

Same goes for Lilly/Rufus. Just as I was squeeing that they were finally going to be together, Cece drops the illegitimate child bomb and things are looking very grim for Lufus now. I don't think that Cece did it out of spite, I actually understood her reasoning. Poor Rufus, he looked so hurt when he found out the truth. On the other hand, I can understand Lilly as well, this really was the worst possible time for something like that to come out. I was spoiled for the whole lovechild scenario so that was no real shocker and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Seems very soapy to me. *shrugs*
              I agree with all. I've actually come to like Cece, she's a good -whatever-it's-called-character that comes in for an episode every once in a while and fixes things here and there

Lilly said that everyone grieves in a different way and that is certainly true. Chuck lashed out at pretty much everyone before breaking down and showing his vulnerable side to Blair. I get that Lilly was upset by Chuck's scheming but I have to say that I find it unforgiveable on her part to tell him that it weren't for Chuck, Bart wouldn't have driven to the ball and the accident wouldn't have happened. That's just not something you say to someone who has just lost their parent. Yes I know she said that she didn't blame Chuck but she should have known how much that would hurt him and while I usually love Lilly, I really disliked her in that scene.
              -The Lily: The highlight of the episode. So much character exploration and growth, in my opinion. She was the star for me. I was so proud of Lily when she slapped Chuck and when she talked to him at the end about sticking with family and whatnot. As far as her line to Chuck when she said he never should've called Bart...She was right! She wasn't trying to say it was all Chuck's fault. She was trying to say that you can look at it anyway and blame whoever you want but it was nobody's fault (though, in my opinion, it WAS Chuck's fault. He had no business calling Bart and, if he hadn't, there never would've been an accident). I admire her strength and ability to keep things together when the glue is clearly coming undone. Kelly Rutherford gave her best performance yet, in my opinion!
              I'm on Cori's side actually. You just don't tell the son it's his fault his father's dead. And even though it wasn't really what she said, how did she expect Chuck to interpret it - in the state he was! Seriously, she shoul've been more tactful... So yeah...

-The Chuck: And I am going to be the black sheep. I kept wishing that Chuck had died through almost all of this episode
              Blasphemer

Yes, his father died. Yes, he probably is dealing with the regret of never having a relationship with him. Yes, he deserves to mourn. But by no means does he deseve to hurt the people around him. Blaming Lily was completely unnecessary and calling her a whore and a slut because she was never fully committed to the relationship? Is that a joke? Chuck couldn't last a week in a relationship and at least Lily remained faithful (once they were actually married...)! At the funeral, he goes and blames DAN?! And almost gets into a fight with DAN?! If that's not the most ridiculous thing ever, then I don't know what is. Dan had as much to do with Bart's death as Dorota did (unless she was driving the other car...?! OMG! PLOT TWIST!) Then he completely broke Eric's heart when the boy was honestly saying that he needs his brother and rejects Eric? Again, completely unnecessary and obnoxious. Leaving Blair when she tells him she loves him? I so wished she would've smacked him like Lily did. The best thing Chuck did and the only thing that I could respect Chuck for in the episode was buring the evidence about Lily and showing up in Blair's room. Though, of course, he ruins THAT by leaving again...
              HIS FATHER DIED! He's allowed to do anything that makes him feel better! His actions where extremely in character, and to me at least, very understandable. And he hates Dan since long, the fact that his father is Rufus to whom he saw Lily speaking on the night his father died just adds to the hate-cake. Of course he'd be upset seeing him at his father's funeral! Like Dan actually felt any need to say good-bye to Bart! I wouldn't have wanted him there. Secondly, as far as I know, Chuck has been pretty monk-ish since he fell for Blair (I mean they had a story-line about how he couldn't...), so I think the remark about him not being able to last in a relationship is kind of unfair... The Eric this I talked about before and I won't repeat myself. It may not be the smoothest, or even the best, thing to do. But for Chuck at that moment, it was all he could do.

The wedding was a bit of a surprise but I have to say I liked that the writers showed both death and life (as symbolised by the wedding) in one episode. The ceremony was actually quite moving and I love that Blair and Cyrus seem to be getting along so well now that she even opened up to him about her feelings for Chuck and let him comfort her. Eleanor was all moved by that as well. And can I just squee a moment about how cute Dorota was at the wedding? She was like a giddy little girl, being all excited and practically jumping up and down. I love Dorota!
              Yes, I also liked the wedding - though I think it's a bit disrespectful. I don't know... I mean, if I heard that some close family friends of ours had up and married now, in time of grief... I just feel it's a bit wrong somehow...

-Dan/Serena/Aaron: Irritating.
              As Jenni Lou said: 'Nuff said!

-Lufus: They're my number one ship on the show and have been since the first episode of the series. Is it really that strange that I love the parents on a teenage show more than most of the teenager characters? It IS a teen drama afterall, so it must be weird...Anyway, it was absolutely heartbreaking to see their plans fall through yet again but this time - despite the spiffy parallels to last season - it just seemed too frustrating to accept. Rufus has every right to be pissed off at Lily for not telling him that they had a kid together but he really should let her explain first before writing off ever having a relationship with her again. And CeCe! That coniving bitch! I wanted to smack her when she went against her daughter's wishes and allowed for Chuck to get the information. Oh well, I'm glad she's back to her old self. The CeCe from 2.01 was too nice for her own good...
              Like others have said, I think Cece really is trying to give Rufus and Lily an honest chance. Which would've been impossible if she hadn't told Rufus the truth...

-The Funeral: Aww! Sad. I loved seeing everybody come together for the funeral. The scene was filmed and directed beautifully. I especially enjoyed the music during this scene. Found it funny that Nate only showed up for this one scene and then disappeared, too.
              Agreed, I liked it too. Especially how Nate and Blair was pretty much dragging Chuck along...

-The Blair: I already said that I loved her opening up to Cyrus and accepting his marriage to her mother but she was truly fantastic last night. What with finally telling Chuck she loves him and, no matter what, still loving him after her rudely rejected her and drove off...It's touching. And the scene when she was trying to convince her mother that she couldn't get married the next day and everything kept going against her was hilarious. I also enjoyed the scene when she and Nate talk about Chuck and are taking care of Chuck on the way to the funeral.
              Yes, well obviously you don't stop loving someone because he or she just drives off. It might hurt you, but no way do you stop loving someone... And I also really loved her in this episode. When Chuck was leaving the apartment and someone was all "Just let him go" and she went "No!". My heart swelled then...

I agree with that I think Lily loved Bart, she married him and was happy with him for some time. On the other hand, you said that Chuck didn't fully love Bart. That's insane. he worshipped the ground the man walked on, he did everything he could to make him proud! In his relationship with Bart, Chuck was still like a five-year old kid - he loved him so much and he was so confused and broken because he couldn't feel nor realise that Bart love him too. The Bart/Chuck relationship has always been, for me, one of the most interesting on GG. Because it's so obvious that they'd both take a bullet for the other, but they both suck at expressing those feelings. So I think it's unfair to say that Chuck didn't love Bart. He did, and now he'll never have the opportunity to tell him that and that feeling hurts - more than anyone who hasn't felt it can imagine.

And I think Ed's voice is actually very sexy and it fits the character of Chuck perfectly!
              Yes

I had something to add, but I've forgotten it now... Hmm... Ah well, I really liked this episode. I loved Chuck in it - he was excellence personified.

Comment

Chuck's actions WERE in character, yes. But that doesn't mean that I like his character. For me, I don't find the fact that he lashes out at everyone around him and nobody changes their opinion very attractive in any character. If Blair did it, I'd be pissed at her. If Lily did it, I'd be pissed at her, too. But it wasn't either of them - it was Chuck. I like Chuck just fine when he's with Blair or acting as comic relief but, all the other times, he really isn't very high on my list of favorite characters (maybe just above Nate and just below Serena - which is like...not that high? ).

So, again, my disliking of Chuck in this episode is rooted in the fact that I never really did like him to begin with. His actions may be in character but that's exactly why I wish he would've gotten another slap in the face or something along those lines. It's just that I don't find the Chuck character attractive at all. *Shrugs*

Comment

Working...
                X