Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gossip Girl - The CW Wants a Spin-off

Originally posted by Variety
    The CW may utilize an episode of "Gossip Girl" later this year to test the spinoff waters.
    According to netlet insiders, one of the hit teen skein's segs later this season may double as a backdoor pilot for a "Gossip Girl" spinoff. Such a move would save in pilot costs, and allow the CW a chance to gauge viewer reaction before moving forward on such a companion show.

Rumors of a "Girl" spinoff have been percolating for some time, in part because Alloy Entertainment's "Gossip Girl" book series -- from which the TV show was based -- already has a spinoff of its own, "The It Girl."

But sources say a televised "Gossip Girl" spinoff would not be "The It Girl," nor would it focus on the character of Jenny Humphrey (the character spun off from the "Gossip Girl" books for "The It Girl"), played on TV by Taylor Momsen.

The TV spinoff would nonetheless likely center on one of the show's nine regular characters -- although there's always a chance a new character could be planted in the backdoor pilot.

A "Gossip Girl" spinoff is still in the very early stages of development, and didn't seem likely earlier this year. However, the CW may have decided to move forward with one after all now that it's been forced to scrap "The Graysons," an origins tale revolving around Batman's sidekick, Robin.

"The Graysons" was set to serve as the tentpole of this year's CW development slate. With that project out of the picture, the CW has been hunting for another big-ticket title to prep for next season.

Warner Bros. TV is behind "Gossip Girl," which comes from exec producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, as well as Alloy.
    Source

I really hope it's not one of the main 9 characters (or Dorota or Eric).

I'd probably watch anything by Josh Schwartz, but I really hope the use on of these:
    • Georgina Sparks
    • Young Lily and Rufus
    • "The It Girl," but without Jenny.
    Preferably Young Lily and Rufus. We already know the characters, most people love the ship. The only thing is, I doubt The CW would want to do something set in the 80s/90s.

Well, I did hear that Michelle Trachtenberg is slated to return as a guest star toward the end of the season so I guess it is a possible character. Though fan reaction didn't seem to favor her very much.

And since the young Lily and Rufus webisodes were scrapped I guess that is also a possibility, though doubtful.

I gotta say though, the CW really needs to look fort something new....A spinoff? Plus they resurrected 90210 and are also bringing back Melrose Place? Geez.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
      Source

I really hope it's not one of the main 9 characters (or Dorota or Eric).

I'd probably watch anything by Josh Schwartz, but I really hope the use on of these:
      • Georgina Sparks
      • Young Lily and Rufus
      • "The It Girl," but without Jenny.
      Preferably Young Lily and Rufus. We already know the characters, most people love the ship. The only thing is, I doubt The CW would want to do something set in the 80s/90s.
      Dude! Young Lily and Rufus has my vote! I love the idea of a show set in the 80s/90s. There's nothing like that on tv now. Plus the CW is so keen on remaking shows of that era, why not have a program which shows the glory of the era. Most retro shows try to make jokes about the time period, why not have it be realistic and not tongue in cheek?

I do agree that CW has demonstrated time after time that it cant see the gold they have in their hands.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
        Dude! Young Lily and Rufus has my vote! I love the idea of a show set in the 80s/90s. There's nothing like that on tv now. Plus the CW is so keen on remaking shows of that era, why not have a program which shows the glory of the era. Most retro shows try to make jokes about the time period, why not have it be realistic and not tongue in cheek?

I do agree that CW has demonstrated time after time that it cant see the gold they have in their hands.
        I know!!! Though I have to say, this year they've been quite good at it (Smallville... hehe). I hope for a Jenny spin-off, then I'd finally get rid of her Also, she'd be the most realistic one imo, not going to college next year and the whole designer thing... Though, as stated above, that seems unlikely...

I would really like the Lufus one That'd be AWESOME!!!!!

Comment

I guess the rumors have been put to rest. No spinoff is happening.

Not now at least.
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Thanks for the more definitive news. I still wouldn't doubt CW wants to spin something off.

The more I think about the Lufus idea the more I love it. It would have fashion of a different era. The show would have to recast Lilly and Rufus, so bonus! GG wouldn't lose characters. Plus it would be a the beginning of the tech revolution so cells phones etc would be out...pagers in. It would be a whole new world of communication and gossip.

CW seepms to hope nostalgia will bring people to the 90210 and MP remakes. When they would truly invoke nostalgia but in a creative new way by doing a Lufus spinoff.

Originally posted by Signe
            Though I have to say, this year they've been quite good at it (Smallville... hehe).
            Actually I don't think SV has any promotion this year. The channel spent all it's budget on 90210 and GG ads. SV and SN are holding their own ratingswise (or growing) all on their own without the channel's money or support. SV at least has product endorsements to keep its budget afloat.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Enterntainment Weekly and Zap2it are reporting that a spin-off is in the works and it'll star...
              Spoiler:
              LILY IN THE 80s!
              Originally posted by EW
              Break out those leg warmers, Gossip Girl fans! The CW has announced that a pilot for a potential spin-off series, created by GG executive producers, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, is on the way. The show will actually be a prequel, focusing on Serena's momma, Lily Van Der Woodsen (Kelly Rutherford, pictured), as a troubled teenager in 1980s Los Angeles. According to an early plot description, we'll see young Lily move out of her wealthy parents' home in Montecito to live with her outcast sister in the Valley, where she'll attend public school and experience the glitz of Hollywood and the excess of the Sunset Strip. No word on if a young Rufus (Matthew Settle) shows up, but I could totally see Lily running into Lincoln Hawk on Sunset Boulevard.

The pilot, which is still untitled and hasn't been cast, will air on May 11 in place of a Gossip Girl episode; the spin-off has not yet been greenlit as a full series. Originally, there had been rumors that producers would center a spin-off on Jenny Humphrey (Taylor Momsen), but those rumblings were quickly shot down. By choosing to do a prequel, Gossip Girl doesn't have to deal with the loss of any of its talented ensemble.

Comment

OMG. Like I haven't been this excited for a show to be made since, well, excluding Terminator (it doesn't count since it came from the 80s too!!!), ever. But for a spinoff of a show that I've seen maybe 2 episodes of, to be this excited is extraordinary.

Throw in the fact I'm hoping the show will definitely have a lot of the OC tossed into the mix. Hmm, maybe I'm wanting more out of this show than it can deliver. Eh, I think Schwartz and Savage can make the premise work in ways the CW can't dare to dream.

Also, I LOVE that the CW is already making plans for another season. I had really been afraid this was the network's last season, but this is a promising sign that they are looking to a future, with NEW ideas.

Omg. The 80's. I so hope they have a LOT of 80s music. SQUEE! *thud*

I wonder what they will name the spinoff. I'll die if it's called "The Valley" like Summer Robert's fave tv show.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

*SQUEEEEEEEEE*

I'm gonna jump on the wagon with Ehlwyen and be totally super excited over this new turn of events I seriously cannot wait! Though I'm generally opposed spin-offs (with the grand exception of Angel) I think this has some serious potential since it's in a different environment and a different time etc. Woot woot!!!!

Comment

I'm slightly less excited, cos with prequels there's not that feeling of "anything could happen", as you know where the characters will end up... but at the same time, there's the potential for fun foreshadowing. Also, 80s fashion. While I don't much like Ashes to Ashes (not as good as life on mars anyway), the outfits are awesome.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I really excited this, because flashing back to the 80s is such a cool idea. Plus, getting a solid back story on Lily (and eventually Rufus) will be great since on "Gossip Girl," it's been all over the place.

I'm most excited to see the supporting cast. Like her sister (I'm guessing she might be Serena's Aunt Carol?). Then there's Lily's old high school friends.

What were some big social trends in the 80s? I can't wait to see how they use them, and hopefully, they mirror them with today's world. I also hope some things mirror events going on in "Gossip Girl."

Also, 80s music! I hope it's all 80s music all the time. I cannot wait for that. Especially seeing how they use them in scenes.

And I can't wait for different nods to the future!

Of course, it's just an episode of "Gossip Girl," but I'm betting it'll get a series order. Is it May 11th yet?

New Stuff:
                      Originally posted by E!
                      As for the just-announced Gossip Girl spinoff, which centers around a young Lily van der Woodsen (Kelly Rutherford), Schwartz reveals: "I'm writing it right now with Stephanie [Savage] as we speak. We're being very, very careful that nothing we do will feel like we are biting off from the Gossip Girl original."

So will a young Rufus appear? "Not at first," Schwartz tells me. "He's not one of our characters. Maybe at some point, if the show is lucky enough to run for several seasons, it will come up, but it's just really about Lily and her sister Carol, Serena's Aunt Carol, who's sort of this free spirit, a wannabe actress who's living in this house in the valley. Her experience on the other side as someone without money going to public school, having to make a whole new group of friends, being cast out from the world that she knew."

The spinoff will be presented as a flashback in the penultimate episode of the current season of Gossip Girl, which airs May 11. Schwartz says none of the roles have been cast yet.
                      So, it is Aunt Carol. And Rufus will not be appearing at first.

More New Stuff:
                      Originally posted by BuzzSugar
                      I was full of questions after hearing that Gossip Girl's long-rumored spinoff was going to be focused on young Lily — so it was a pleasant surprise to see the gossip guy himself, executive producer Josh Schwartz, turn up at NBC's TCA party on Thursday night. Read on to find out what I learned:
                      • Pay attention to the next-to-last episode of Gossip Girl this season. That's when the spinoff characters will be introduced, Schwartz said. "It'll be flashbacks that will sort of illustrate a crisis. It will resonate thematically with something that will be happening inside that episode."
                      • They're seeking the actress to play young Lily. "We're starting now," he said. "We have a couple months."
                      • They didn't necessarily want to do a spinoff at all — until they hit on this idea. "We talked about The It Girl, the book series that is a spinoff, but for me and Stephanie [Savage, also an executive producer], to do another teen drama . . . we needed something that was going to inspire us. We started talking like, 'What if we did this?' and that got us really excited."
                      • Yes, versions of Lily and other characters could be in both shows at once. "We can introduce characters on the spinoff and then they can show up in the present, and vice versa, and the two things can kind of inform each other," Schwartz said.

To hear about the fashion, the music, and why Lily's a character worth exploring, just read more.
                      • Lily was compelling because it was his way into writing about the '80s. "She was my DeLorean," he said. "She was my phone booth."
                      • Wipe those visions of bad '80s fashion out of your head. "Stephanie is the fashion guru, and the stuff that she and [costume designer] Eric Daman have done for Gossip Girl I think is really influential and impactful. . . Eric is going to do the new show as well, so you know the clothes are going to be great.
                      • And the music is going to rock. "Our goal is going to be to dig up under a couple of rocks maybe some songs you haven't heard in other '80s kinds of things and find some forgotten gems as well as stuff that you love," Schwartz said. "Some songs are still great no matter how many times you hear them, and we definitely don't want to shy away from those, but we all are also interested in finding music that maybe you forgot about or never even heard. And there's a whole generation of viewers, Gossip Girl viewers, who I think this music — this whole world, this decade — will be largely new to."
                      Thomas
                      Ŧħ?'mąś
                      Last edited by Thomas; 16-01-09, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Hmmm.....I don't know. I love Lily, but mostly because I love Kelly Rutherford. And she's not going to be on this show. And nor is Rufus, until several seasons later that might not happen. I don't think I'm looking forward to it as much anymore..... I would rather that Rufus was introduced earlier....though I suppose that would cut short the potential time of the show. Ah well, we'll see....I guess this means another show to add to my list!
                        Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

THESE CHARACTERS WILL FIRST APPEAR IN EP 224 OF GOSSIP GIRL.

[LILY RHODES] Female, 16, beautiful, slightly entitled. Caucasian. Kelly Rutherford's character as a teenager. Born into a world of wealth. Rebellious and wild. Kicked out of her prominent boarding school and forced to live with and watch over her irresponsible older sister in Los Angeles. A poor little rich girl, a princess in the Valley. She discovers she can be herself amongst the less privileged kids she befriends at her new school. She is on a journey to discover which world she belongs in. sptv050769 SERIES LEAD.

[CAROL RHODES] Female, 20-25. Caucasian. LILY's sister. Adorable and sweet, but a bit of a disaster. Less mature and responsible than her younger sister. Always making mistakes - dating the wrong guy, making bad decisions about her career as an actress and otherwise. Must be strong with comedy. SERIES REGULAR.

[RICK RHODES] Male, late 30s - early 40s. Caucasian. LILY's father. Handsome and fit. Perpetual suntan. Wears a collared shirt, three buttons open, no tie, blue blazer, Italian loafers no socks. Left his wife and family to find freedom running a music company on the West Coast. Dines at the hottest restaurants and is an important man about town. People know him. He's a charmer. Friendly, gregarious. Warm smile. Has a hot, younger girlfriend. SERIES REGULAR.

[OWEN] Male, 19. Open ethnicity, ethnic preferred. Hot - Valley punk guy with a caustic wit. Has had a tough life. SERIES REGULAR.

[CECE RHODES] Female, late 30s to early 40s. Caucasian. LILY's mother. Caroline Lagerfelt's character as a younger mother. Upper East Side. Hard. A woman of wealth and privilege. Super critical. Permanently annoyed. Open to a recognizable face or name. sptv050769 RECURRING GUEST STAR.
                          I doubt these are the only characters, just the ones that'll appear in 2.24. If the series is picked up, I'm guessing more will be added. I can't wait to see who they cast!
                          Thomas
                          Ŧħ?'mąś
                          Last edited by Thomas; 17-01-09, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I doubt these are the only characters, just the ones that'll appear in 2.24. If the series is picked up, I'm guessing more will be added. I can't wait to see who they cast!
                            Rhodes? Cece's last name is Rhodes? I guess I missed that somehow, I always thought it was "van der Woodsen" and that Lily had reverted to her maiden name after each divorce....I feel confused now. I guess she just kept the name of her kids' dad after the first divorce or something? Or did he die? Anyone know?

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

We've got our first cast member: Krysten Ritter as Carol Rhodes.
                              Originally posted by EW
                              The CW's Gossip Girl spin-off has completed its first piece of casting. Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls alum Krysten Ritter has been tapped to play Lily's troubled older sister, Carol, in the offshoot, which chronicles the teen years of Kelly Rutherford's alter ego.

Described as sweet but a bit of a disaster, Carol is an actress who's constantly making bad decisions in life and work. Lily ends up moving in with Carol after a falling out with mom and dad.

Circa '80s Lily and Carol will be introduced in the May 11 episode of Gossip Girl.

Meanwhile, casting for the role of Lily continues. (Psst: If exec producers Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz end up getting their first choice, there will be a lot of very happy Ausholes out there.)
                              I really liked her as Gia on "Veronica Mars." So, I really don't have a problem with it. I wonder who Josh and Stephanie have in mind for Lily?

Comment

We've got our first cast member: Krysten Ritter as Carol Rhodes.
                                I really liked her as Gia on "Veronica Mars." So, I really don't have a problem with it. I wonder who Josh and Stephanie have in mind for Lily?
                                Oh god, really? I have to say, that definitely makes me even less interested in watching--I can't stand her! I don't know if I could abide a show in which she starred in every episode as a lead protagonist...And I guess Lily's dad must have been dark-haired then....

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas
                                  I really excited this, because flashing back to the 80s is such a cool idea. Plus, getting a solid back story on Lily (and eventually Rufus) will be great since on "Gossip Girl," it's been all over the place.

I'm most excited to see the supporting cast. Like her sister (I'm guessing she might be Serena's Aunt Carol?). Then there's Lily's old high school friends.

What were some big social trends in the 80s? I can't wait to see how they use them, and hopefully, they mirror them with today's world. I also hope some things mirror events going on in "Gossip Girl."

Also, 80s music! I hope it's all 80s music all the time. I cannot wait for that. Especially seeing how they use them in scenes.

And I can't wait for different nods to the future!

Originally posted by E!
                                  To hear about the fashion, the music, and why Lily's a character worth exploring, just read more.
                                  • Lily was compelling because it was his way into writing about the '80s. "She was my DeLorean," he said. "She was my phone booth."
                                  • Wipe those visions of bad '80s fashion out of your head. "Stephanie is the fashion guru, and the stuff that she and [costume designer] Eric Daman have done for Gossip Girl I think is really influential and impactful. . . Eric is going to do the new show as well, so you know the clothes are going to be great.
                                  • And the music is going to rock. "Our goal is going to be to dig up under a couple of rocks maybe some songs you haven't heard in other '80s kinds of things and find some forgotten gems as well as stuff that you love," Schwartz said. "Some songs are still great no matter how many times you hear them, and we definitely don't want to shy away from those, but we all are also interested in finding music that maybe you forgot about or never even heard. And there's a whole generation of viewers, Gossip Girl viewers, who I think this music - this whole world, this decade - will be largely new to."
                                  OMG GLORIOUS!!! Tell me Wonderland will be joining up to produce and confirm that Alexandra Patsavas is doing the music and this series could be a dream come true. It's cool Schwartz and Savage want to be different than GG, so I'm hoping they pull from the OC and its warmth and undercurrent heart.

I loved That 70s Show so I know this series could easily be as successful.

Has anyone done the math to figure out about what year the show will be placed? Like do we know Lily's age in GG? I'm thinking 86-87 would be a good time to start the series. Lots of cool music out, plenty of indulgence and change to underground scene to come. We know that Lily and Rufus last saw each other when NIN were popular so we know the show will need to roll over into the 90s at some point.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

"She was my DeLorean," he said. "She was my phone booth."
                                    By phone booth, did he mean BLUE POLICE BOX?

I'm actually really excited about Krysten Ritter being cast. I really like her from what I've seen. And she's got a really fun quirky thing going on for herself that fits the role we've been hearing about.

Also, from the speculation in the comments, some people think (and some people are against) Kristen Bell would be the dream Lily they're referring to. (tiny as she is, maybe she's a little older than what I'd expect). ...which would, in a strange dimension, would make Lily THE Gossip Girl.
                                    little albatross
                                    Drunkface McCord
                                    Last edited by little albatross; 07-02-09, 03:45 AM.
                                    would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

Originally posted by little albatross View Post
                                      As awesome as that would be...I'm hoping he meant Bill and Ted's phone booth... Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.
                                      I'm actually really excited about Krysten Ritter being cast. I really like her from what I've seen. And she's got a really fun quirky thing going on for herself that fits the role we've been hearing about.

Also, from the speculation in the comments, some people think (and some people are against) Kristen Bell would be the dream Lily they're referring to. (tiny as she is, maybe she's a little older than what I'd expect). ...which would, in a strange dimension, would make Lily THE Gossip Girl.
                                      I liked Krysten Ritter on VM so I'm good to go for her joining the cast. As far as Kristen Bell...I think she's too old for the role. We watched her graduate from high school several YEARS ago as Veronica Mars, it would be weird to watch her in high school again. But I dig your logic!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by little albatross View Post
                                        HAHA I love you XD

Owen?! Hmm that sounds like an interesting character.

Ugh I'm terrible I haven't watched Gossip Girl since... a long time back (heh) but I am excited for this spin off the more I hear about it. *should really catch up on GG some time *

Comment

Working...
                                        X