Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.11 "The Bone That Blew" discussion

Not a thread yet? How comes?

Anyway, nice episode. I always like it when Max is around. I'm not sure how realistic it is for the Jeffersonian to hire somebody like Max but I can let that go. But isn't Ryan O'Neal arrested for drugdealing/druguse or something like that?

The little girl was scary, no morals at all.

And the BtVS/Ats actors keep coming, it was nice to see Gina Torres again.

Can we keep this intern? I'm a bit tired of the intern of the week, especially now they are re-using the same people. And they even forget to tell us why the interns leave. Clark never left or was fired, he is just gone. Does that happen also with this guy?

I was afraid I wouldn't like this episode because I don't like Brennan's dad. But he wasn't obnoxious or loud like he often is. And I loved how he was helping kids to enjoy science and learning. I don't think there is enough of that in school. I would have loved such creativity when I little kid.

I also loved Booth and his worry about his son getting a good enough education. I do like to see his outside the FBI/Jeffersonian character. I also loved the interchange with Bones's dad about whether they had a physical relationship. My heart melted a little when Booth said Bones is beautiful. (I'm not a Bones/Booth shipper either.) Awwww, there's the David Boreanz that makes head over heels. The conviction, emotion, yet simple bare truth of his voice really sold the line.

I liked this intern quite a bit. And I about flipped that he said EXPERIMENT!!! I think the show would be better if they moved on from Zach rather than just leaving the rotating hole. Cam was funny how she actually encouraged that Hodgins do an experiment!

Great episode. I'm guessing this was the last until the new year?

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I really liked this episode, I actually like Brennan's dad, I think he's funny and would be a great addition to the show if he became a regular. It was really nice to see how he interacted with Booth's son at the end.

I also agree that the intern of the week thing is boring, I like this intern I think he would fit in well. I liked the story too, nice to see Gina Torres in the show and that little girl was seriously scary it was like she had no soul at all.

How comes this may be the last this year?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        The little girl was scary, no morals at all.
        Seriously. What a spoiled little brat. She didn't even seem to care what she had done. And her motive? Yikes.

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
        I also loved the interchange with Bones's dad about whether they had a physical relationship. My heart melted a little when Booth said Bones is beautiful. (I'm not a Bones/Booth shipper either.) Awwww, there's the David Boreanz that makes head over heels. The conviction, emotion, yet simple bare truth of his voice really sold the line.
        Awwww, yeah. I'm not a huge shipper. I think a real ship would end their chemistry as we know it. And it's so fun to watch the dance. But that scene was sweet. DB has grown so much as an actor and I think he is so awesome as Booth.

Is it me or does it seem like every ep now there is some character who makes a mention about a B/B ship? I swear, they are just tossing in more and more lines about it...

Yes, I believe so.

And also, Bones will be moving to Thursday next year as well.

To be honest, the intern business doesn't bother me too much anymore. I get the feeling they are being rotated out because Brennan is just giving some of her students some time now and again to engage in the her job at the Jeffersonian. I think there are some she likes better than others, which is why we see them more than once.
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post

Awwww, yeah. I'm not a huge shipper. I think a real ship would end their chemistry as we know it. And it's so fun to watch the dance. But that scene was sweet. DB has grown so much as an actor and I think he is so awesome as Booth.

Is it me or does it seem like every ep now there is some character who makes a mention about a B/B ship? I swear, they are just tossing in more and more lines about it...
          Ah yes, the quote unquote dance. I am so glad the show never quite lets the two get close enough to have a romantic relationship. It feels more real, beautiful, and precious with how close they've grown as friends and work partners. As opposed to how the show put Hodgins and Angela together, then held them apart (with her previous marriage), ultimately broke them apart, and is now trying to hint towards maybe them get back together. That feels more like a contrived television romance. Not that I don't like Hodgins/Angela. Cause I do. Just that I am really glad the show did not choose to go that route with Bones/Booth.

LOL! And no it isn't you. The show seems to be bringing it up more and more. I wonder if the show is trying to keep it close to the surface in case they receive word this is the last season, and can bring the relationship to fruition by the end of the season if need be?

And also, Bones will be moving to Thursday next year as well.
          For me, this type move, is more kiss of death than a move to Friday. I really don't know how many episodes I'll get to watch with it up against SV.

To be honest, the intern business doesn't bother me too much anymore. I get the feeling they are being rotated out because Brennan is just giving some of her students some time now and again to engage in the her job at the Jeffersonian. I think there are some she likes better than others, which is why we see them more than once.
          I don't think I quite understood that about the show. So Brennan teaches a class on the side and these are students from that class that are each getting their shot at working with her? I had thought they were getting random applicants (who were out of school) and just trying them for a week before firing them and the intern then had to find a new job or career path. It seems more harsh the way I pictured it. Rather than students get an opportunity to hit it big with a Jeffersonian job.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

For me, this type move, is more kiss of death than a move to Friday. I really don't know how many episodes I'll get to watch with it up against SV.
            Well, I guess the idea is--because FOX is pleased with how the show is performing in the ratings--is that by moving it to Thursday they can use American Idol to draw in viewers to their new show Lie to Me. But also, by Bones NOT being on Wednesday night, it won't be constantly preempted by AI either.

I don't think I quite understood that about the show. So Brennan teaches a class on the side and these are students from that class that are each getting their shot at working with her? I had thought they were getting random applicants (who were out of school) and just trying them for a week before firing them and the intern then had to find a new job or career path. It seems more harsh the way I pictured it. Rather than students get an opportunity to hit it big with a Jeffersonian job.
            Well, there have been a few passing lines about students, so I got the idea that she did teach a course. I could be wrong though.
            sigpic
            follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I thought early on they were just making it a running gag (that no-one could replace Zach), but there have been a couple of explicit statements about grad students coming up in the 'rotation', so that's why they're being recycled.

I kind of hope they'll pick Clark Edison. His prickliness about personal v. work topics would make a good foil (and grounding agent) for the rest of them.
              Cordially,
              Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
              Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Thank you Jenni Lou and Amuk! I didn't realize that. I've missed some episodes and parts of episodes along the way.

Have we ever seen Bones teaching a graduate class? I know in the S4 opener she was giving the lecture to the English students. But I'm wanting to know if Bones teaches a course or if the grad student program is just in conjunction with the Jeffersonian as opposed to specifically with her.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Yeah, the interns are her grad students. They reached the end of the grad students who she felt were qualified for the position, so they began the rotation over again. I personally wouldn't mind it if they keep cycling through for the rest of the season, but I do really like the intern from last night. Either he or Clark would be my pick.

Last night's episode was good. Not as good as the plane episode though. And, what's the deal with having children be murderers? I think one of the writers might have a complex.

One thing that really bothered me about last night's episode was the rampant elitism. Booth should torture himself about sending his son to Public School? WTF? Brennen's attitude about having to be qualified in order to do anything has always gotten on my nerves, but it was especially bad last night. "How are you qualified to design an experiment?" "What are you qualified in that you could enrich Parker?" Gah! Annoying.

I loved the ending scene. "Look at my little boy with your dad." Totally a 'when we're married' moment. Brennen's dad is gonna be Parker's grandpa! Grandpa Max!

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
                    I loved the ending scene. "Look at my little boy with your dad." Totally a 'when we're married' moment. Brennen's dad is gonna be Parker's grandpa! Grandpa Max!
                    Damn it! I missed that! grrrrrrrrrrr I really need to remember to modify my DVR to record for an extra minute. I'm always missing those awesome end scenes.
                    sigpic

Comment

One thing that really bothered me about last night's episode was the rampant elitism. Booth should torture himself about sending his son to Public School? WTF?
                      Well I think the intention was that you should never feel complacent in your child's welfare. That as long as you are vigilant and taking an interest in what your child is learning or doing that helps you be a good parent.

The parents of the murderous girl had none of that interest in their child. She had the best school, nannies, opportunities, so they felt they had done all the needed to for their child.

I think the reason you may be so annoyed with the sentiment is that you agree that simply attending private school isn't always the best education life can give. There's plenty of other lessons, including humility and respect for all living things.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I personally wouldn't mind it if they keep cycling through for the rest of the season, but I do really like the intern from last night. Either he or Clark would be my pick.
                        Agreed. The first time through, I thought Wendell was going to get the job because he was the first one that no-one in the main group found fault with (other than Clark, who said he couldn't take it) and everyone liked. But then he didn't and this 'rotation' thing started.

I'm kinda hoping they get their fill of the gag and just choose one soon. If it's not Clark, Wendell will do (at least they positively eliminated Daisy).
                        Cordially,
                        Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                        Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane
                          One thing that really bothered me about last night's episode was the rampant elitism. Booth should torture himself about sending his son to Public School? WTF?
                          Well I think the intention was that you should never feel complacent in your child's welfare. That as long as you are vigilant and taking an interest in what your child is learning or doing that helps you be a good parent.

The parents of the murderous girl had none of that interest in their child. She had the best school, nannies, opportunities, so they felt they had done all the needed to for their child.

I think the reason you may be so annoyed with the sentiment is that you agree that simply attending private school isn't always the best education life can give. There's plenty of other lessons, including humility and respect for all living things.
                          Well as someone who is from, and attended public school in, the area where this show takes place, and has a more intimate knowledge of what the deal with eduction there is than the average viewer, this part of the episode annoyed me A LOT as well. Yes, schools are not the best in DC, though I'm thinking that Booth lives in a decent enough area that Parker would be attending some of the better public schools in DC--and if those wouldn't be sufficient, Booth could always send Parker to one of the fine, well-rated and funded public schools in Montgomery County, Maryland, right across the border (like 20 min away perhaps from where he lives), for a much smaller annual fee than freaking $28,000 a year. There were plenty of Ivy-attenders from my class at my *public* school there, thank you very much Mr. Private School Guy. (Though there are also lots of top unis that aren't Ivys, which should also be pointed out Mr. Snooty Private School Man). Sorry, couldn't help myself! This is almost as bad as epp 4x04 when they narrowed down the area the victim came from based on Cherry Blossom Residue (when they are EVERYWHERE in DC, not just around the Jefferson Memorial for god's sake, as millions of tourists each year even know! ), though not quite....

But besides, given how the bratty kids who went to this hoity toity private school turned out, it gauls me that Brennan STILL was insisting at the end that it was best for Parker--clearly there are more important factors at work, Brennan! Booth is right about the TLC being key....

But other than that, a great epp! I always love it when Max guest-stars, always great tension with Brennan and Booth and him, and I loved his questioning of Booth about Brennan as well, and that he GAVE HIS BLESSING FOR B/B! Woot! Booth's delivery of the "she's beautiful" line was indeed great....and I also loved Sweets in this one, and Cam, etc. I was happy to see the new intern, this guy was my favorite of the rotation anyway, and as I've said before I can't stand Clark! I'd be happy if he just stayed, he's not too wacky, but not annoying either....

But ugh, how creepy and horrible was the little brat murderess?! I still can't quite believe any little kid could really be like that, and really murder for that motive in cold blood, with no remorse about it. I wanted to smack her!

But yeah, great epp, I've been really enjoying Bones in the last few epps! I think the show has recovered a little from it's slump in season 3....hope this keeps up!
                          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                            Well as someone who is from, and attended public school in, the area where this show takes place, and has a more intimate knowledge of what the deal with eduction there is than the average viewer, this part of the episode annoyed me A LOT as well. Yes, schools are not the best in DC, though I'm thinking that Booth lives in a decent enough area that Parker would be attending some of the better public schools in DC--and if those wouldn't be sufficient, Booth could always send Parker to one of the fine, well-rated and funded public schools in Montgomery County, Maryland, right across the border (like 20 min away perhaps from where he lives), for a much smaller annual fee than freaking $28,000 a year. There were plenty of Ivy-attenders from my class at my *public* school there, thank you very much Mr. Private School Guy. (Though there are also lots of top unis that aren't Ivys, which should also be pointed out Mr. Snooty Private School Man). Sorry, couldn't help myself! This is almost as bad as epp 4x04 when they narrowed down the area the victim came from based on Cherry Blossom Residue (when they are EVERYWHERE in DC, not just around the Jefferson Memorial for god's sake, as millions of tourists each year even know! ), though not quite....

But besides, given how the bratty kids who went to this hoity toity private school turned out, it gauls me that Brennan STILL was insisting at the end that it was best for Parker--clearly there are more important factors at work, Brennan! Booth is right about the TLC being key....
                            Damn right! If they had made it a point that Booth was worried about Parker being in some uber-sucky, under-funded school that's falling apart like they exploit on Oprah, then it might not have bothered me so bad. But the way they presented it was against public schools at all. I mean, public school isn't perfect...but it doesn't harm the students. What bothered me even more, though, was the episode's insistence that there was nothing Booth could do to enrich Parker's education simply because he didn't have the right certificate or qualifications. Nice message to the majority of parents in the world, guys, way to go.

But ugh, how creepy and horrible was the little brat murderess?! I still can't quite believe any little kid could really be like that, and really murder for that motive in cold blood, with no remorse about it. I wanted to smack her!
                            I read something in Yahoo!News just the other day about this eight year old who killed his dad and another man with a shotgun. And there was this girl awhile back who poisoned her father (I think for taking away her toys...it was a very trivial reason whatever it was), and the court ruled that it had been an accident. Then, a month later, the girl tried to poison her mother.

Comment

And there was this girl awhile back who poisoned her father (I think for taking away her toys...it was a very trivial reason whatever it was), and the court ruled that it had been an accident. Then, a month later, the girl tried to poison her mother.
                              My gods! That is just incredible.

You see crime shows use children as the murderers from time to time. I've seen them on CSI and Law & Order. On L&O there was a very interesting episode about a young girl who had killed a little boy--apparently she hated boys--and the majority of the ep was basically tackling the moral and ethical ramifications of incarcerating/institutionalizing a child. They had a couple shrinks evaluate her and one determined she was a pathological and a sociopath. And while the other didn't necessarily disagree, she said that society shouldn't be willing to just give up on any hope of rehabilitation for her. The creepy part was at the end when the judge decrees that the girl be released to her mother and as the little girl is lingering in the court hallway she gives this icy glare with a smile to another young boy. *shivers*

A bit O/T. But these kinds stories are so uncomfortable to watch because they actually do occur in our real society.

And privileged children needs not be so...privileged. I think it does more damage than good. They need to learn they aren't entitled to everything they want and there are no consequences or accountability for their actions. Which is essentially what the mother in this Bones ep was guilty of instilling in her daughter. You think you are protecting your family by covering up her crime and letting her think it was okay that she freakin' killed somebody?! You gotta be kidding me!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X