Lana Lang [spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lana Lang [spoilers]

So she gets ALOT of negative things thrown at her. (Uhh, don't take that as nasty) I mean personally I am not a real Lana fan, but I just want to know where this hate is coming from.

Even outside this forum there seems to be alot of negative Lana feedback and it just amazes me that so many people can dislike one character. So I figured I would start a thread and we can all just talk on the high and low points of Miss Lang (it will give us something to do as we wait for season 8 to come back!)

It is also perfect timing since Lana will be hanging around for the next four episodes (yes this is a spoiler thread, so don't worry about using tags.)

Now lets talk Lana!

Lana has always been a rather interesting character. She was the typical girl next door cheerleader who the main character wanted, but could never get (plus she had the deadly necklace). I liked most about her in the early seasons was just her levelness, plus she added something for Clark to go after (and somewhat of a foil for Chloe), but still likeable as she was this victim who never really asked for it. Then she went away at the end of season 3 (and personally I think that could have been THE PERFECT exit point for Lana to leave and stay gone for at least a season or two and allow characters like Lois and Chloe more screentime)

The only downside to that would be Lana was ACTUALLY enjoyable in season 4 (not only because she had Jensen on her arm when she returned), but because as we have learned evil/badass Lana is always and will always be perfect. When Countess Marguerite Isobel Theroux was in control (and when Lana was trying to figure out the truth) the story was interesting and just well driven. I was curious through out the entire season (oh and what a season it was) and when the truth was all unveiled I was very pleased and would have loved maybe one more Isobel flashback.

Then season 5, 6 and 7 were just kind of a blur of crummy Clana crap. Sorry, but I think most people will agree with me that she was always just a highschool girlfriend and should have always stayed that way in Smallville. The only real highlight I can recall is her quicky marrige to Lex and then her mysterious spy-ish life style until she was attacked and brain dead then left (in one of the best written goodbyes Smallville has ever done).

And now she is back! With a new hair style and a kick ass attitude! And like always full of mystery. So where will this story take her? I am hoping to her final death (or the truth that she is a clone) I am just glad that she wont be back for the full season... just these (oh hopefully not painful) fourmore episodes.

Okay, so I kind of kept on topic. A bit long, but what about you guys. How does Lana stack up in your list of favorite characters? What mysteries will this newhairLana hold? Hmmm? We got more then a month to speculate!

I've never really hated Lana, but she was never one of my favorite characters. And I hate the way the writers loved her and Clana so much that they refused to let her change for real. I loved her with Lex, and I wish the writers had done Lexana for real instead of it always being "Lana loves Lex!...because Lex manipulated her. Lana is pregnant!...but not really, because Lex orchestrated the whole thing. Lana is marrying Lex!...but only because she's protecting Clark."

Bleh!

So, the last few seasons gave me a bad taste in my mouth where Lana and Clana were concerned. But, over the past week or so, I've done a bit of a rewatch, revisiting the early seasons for the first time in a long time, and I was amazed at how engaging Lana was back then. I had totally forgotten how much I liked her in Seasons 1-4.

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
      I've never really hated Lana, but she was never one of my favorite characters. And I hate the way the writers loved her and Clana so much that they refused to let her change for real. I loved her with Lex, and I wish the writers had done Lexana for real instead of it always being "Lana loves Lex!...because Lex manipulated her. Lana is pregnant!...but not really, because Lex orchestrated the whole thing. Lana is marrying Lex!...but only because she's protecting Clark."

Bleh!

So, the last few seasons gave me a bad taste in my mouth where Lana and Clana were concerned. But, over the past week or so, I've done a bit of a rewatch, revisiting the early seasons for the first time in a long time, and I was amazed at how engaging Lana was back then. I had totally forgotten how much I liked her in Seasons 1-4.
      You bring up a good point about the marrige. They really should have given Lex and Lana a fair share. Early seasons they had some great flirtation and onscreen glances - it was very cute and gave good hope for the two. The entire manipulation thing was a joke and one reason why I was so sick of Lionel by season 6 (and was more than happy too see him plunge to his death in season 7) Buut that is an entirely different topic

And I agree with you again about the early seasons. They have bashed up her character so much that it almost seems like two completly different characters. I hope if we DO get a season 9 that Lana will be completly gone - for good. Just let her move on, let her just live her life (or die) or do whatever. And no I am not being negative, but there is only SO much you can do with certain characters before it becomes a joke *coughspikecough*

Comment

Wow, I feel the exact opposite concerning Lana. In Seasons 1-5 (and the first half of six up to Hydro), I hated Lana Lang with a PASSION. She annoyed me constantly with her "I'm your girlfriend, so tell me all your secrets" and "I'm always getting hurt and I can't try to stand up for myself" attitude throughout practically every episode in the first five seasons. I remember that I actually wanted her to die in every episode back then too. These feelings were especially powerful in Season 5's Lockdown and she didn't, so I thought she'd die in Reckoning based on the promos, but instead they took Pa Kent away from us...

Her character took a turn for the worst when she went to Lex immediately after her breakup with Clark. It annoyed me that she said that there could never be anything romantic between she and Lex Luthor (in Splinter) and then about 11 episodes later she's locking lips with the guy in his mansion because she feels "betrayed" and that "so many secrets have been lifted off her". The Lexana relationship was bad enough, but the fact that she always ended up talking about how Clark hurt her or something upset me as well. That also leads me to another reason why I hated her. Her whining.

Her whining was incessant and just irked me sooooooo much. She whined about the dumbest things like how she'd never grow out of being the little fairy princess girl or how Clark kissed Chloe and she forgave her, but didn't believe that Clark had ANY reason to kiss her back (from Rush). Her voice was high-pitched back then which made it even worse. Then the times that she was "happy" with Clark, her voice annoyed me because it was just too sappy. She tried to be funny, but she WASN'T. She failed miserably at jokes in Seasons 1 and 2...

But after she admitted her feelings in Hydro and wasn't willing to hide that anymore, she started to grow on me. The Clark/Lana speech in the real world in Labyrinth actually made me feel bad for Lana and so did her speech to Clark in the loft about how she waited for him and he didn't ask her (from Crimson). Then Lana started to take on more Luthor-ish characteristics in the following episode by ordering Mack around which was great and she seemed to be pretty mature in Freak. I liked that she realized that she couldn't pester Clark anymore, so she tried to find out about his secret herself and had the guts to try to back out of a loveless marriage. Then I started to love her after Nemesis because of how she singlehandledly tricked both Luthors and a Sullivan while wearing a black jacket. Lana Luthor became loveable at that moment and then she was just made of awesome in the season finale. I even started to become a Clark/Lana fan in that episode (because the writers failed to give me proper Clark/Lois after the dynamite job that they did in Crimson). I guess it's because Lana stopped trying to run away from her feelings and tried to take thngs into her own hands in S6 that turned me on to her. Otherwise, she still would've been on my hate list...

When she came back in Season 7, she was one of my favorite characters that season (big shocker to me, haha). I loved her more than I liked Jimmy (who was being a womanizer), Kara (who just failed to use her brain half of the time) and Chloe (having obsessive compulsive Clark disorder by constantly "worshipping" Clark Kent like in Descent). Anyways, I loved how she was "trying" to help Clark and still take down the Luthors in the first half of the season. I laughed at her for a while when Persona aired and she slept with Bizi, but I sympathized for her after her fight with Clark in Siren. That moment made me love her even more since the old S1-5 Lana wouldn't be able to talk to Clark like that, but she'd just try to make herself seem like the innocent one when she knew full well that she was part of the problem. Loved her in Hero and Traveler and I loved her video in Arctic since it seemed so heartfelt.

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
        I hope if we DO get a season 9 that Lana will be completly gone - for good. Just let her move on, let her just live her life (or die) or do whatever. And no I am not being negative, but there is only SO much you can do with certain characters before it becomes a joke *coughspikecough*
        I agree, but only a bit. I want her to leave Smallville, but I still want her to be alive. I'd like her to take on that confidant role that she has in some versions of the comics (which they've given to Chloe and taken away as of Abyss). So maybe this arc will let her be Clark's confidant (when he needs one) and they can just live as good friends in their separate places.
        Last edited by HeroSplinter; 26-11-08, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I don't hate Lana. I just don't like her. I don't think the show has ever given reason to like her.

It's annoying that Clark feels she always needs to be protected. It's more annoying that Lana whines to Clark about not needing to be protected. But it's irresponsible of the show to always put her in situations in which she is a helpless innocent victim.

I liked S4 where Lana tried to leave SV and all the victimization. Try being an operative word. Even in France she is drawn into something mysterious, but at least this time she keeps it her secret, investigates it, and doesn't take the role of helpless. When Isobel possesses her with kick ass attitude, magic, and fighting skills, Lana is a fantastic character.

Lana doesn't have to be a supercharacter for me to like her. I would be happy with something in the middle. I like S6 where she turns away from Clark's protection and is lured in by Lex's willingness to treat to her like a capable adult. I like anytime when she is able to push away from Clark either her own infatuation or his infatuation for her.

Like HeroSplinter mentions, I think it is hilarious she slept with Bizzaro. She is in love with a Clark that doesn't truly exist and she is either too blind or too resistant to seeing that truth.

Originally posted by HeroSplinter
          I want her to leave Smallville, but I still want her to be alive.
          I most definitely agree. I don't want her around. I want her live her own life like Digital Leonardo also mentions. But to have her die would be for the show to turn her into the ultimate victim. To die would mean that only in her own innocence and loss of life could Lana be a value to the world or at least Clark's story. Bah!

And although my heart wants Lana to be viciously evil and badass,that goes against everything she's ever been so I seriously doubt it will happen. I do like the idea of her as a confidant since that would make her an equal to Clark.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by HeroSplinter View Post
            I agree, but only a bit. I want her to leave Smallville, but I still want her to be alive. I'd like her to take on that confidant role that she has in some versions of the comics (which they've given to Chloe and taken away as of Abyss). So maybe this arc will let her be Clark's confidant (when he needs one) and they can just live as good friends in their separate places.
            In the more recent comics (if I recall right) Lana ended up living a medeorcer life, I think if she died protecting Clark (I would love for Lex to end up killing her) it would give her so much meaning and FINALLY create that villian for Clark. Cause at the moment Lex is bad, but not a supervillian. So there is hope, and I think it HAS to be Lana, it wouldn't have the same effect on anyone else (well Chloe... but lets not speak of that!)

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
            It's annoying that Clark feels she always needs to be protected. It's more annoying that Lana whines to Clark about not needing to be protected. But it's irresponsible of the show to always put her in situations in which she is a helpless innocent victim.
            It always was weird, Lana was always "I can protect myself..." EXCEPT "when like every other episode there seems to be a meteor freak obsessed with me cause I am the hottest thing to hit Smallville since the meteor shower!" Bah...

I most definitely agree. I don't want her around. I want her live her own life like Digital Leonardo also mentions. But to have her die would be for the show to turn her into the ultimate victim. To die would mean that only in her own innocence and loss of life could Lana be a value to the world or at least Clark's story. Bah!
            Nod, nod, nod! It is one of those things where Lana has had such a long winded story, that to have her just leave would feel so lackluster. She needs a BIG end!

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
              In the more recent comics (if I recall right) Lana ended up living a medeorcer life, I think if she died protecting Clark (I would love for Lex to end up killing her) it would give her so much meaning and FINALLY create that villian for Clark. Cause at the moment Lex is bad, but not a supervillian. So there is hope, and I think it HAS to be Lana, it wouldn't have the same effect on anyone else (well Chloe... but lets not speak of that!)
              Actually...in the more recent comics she became First Lady of the United States, was the acting CEO of LexCorp, and now lives with Supergirl and works for the Daily Planet apparently.

Lana dying (especially at Lex's hands) to save Clark would be my least desired end result for her. I personally want her to become the villain. At this point she would be the most poignant supervillain for Clark, not Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
                Actually...in the more recent comics she became First Lady of the United States, was the acting CEO of LexCorp, and now lives with Supergirl and works for the Daily Planet apparently.

Lana dying (especially at Lex's hands) to save Clark would be my least desired end result for her. I personally want her to become the villain. At this point she would be the most poignant supervillain for Clark, not Lex.
                Well obviously I havn't read any Superman in awhile BUUT I do no that one incarnation of her she does end up in kind of a crappy life with Pete Ross, though I doubt that would be an end result.

Lana being a supervillian WOULD be interesting, but I dunno, I think it would be too far of a stretch.

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. I don't see it as crappy, exactly...though they did get divorced so what do I know? But, anywayz, Pete was Vice President under Lex Luthor, became Prez when Luthor had to resign, and might still be president for all I know. I don't read Superman, either. Like I said, Lana divorced Pete and then took over LexCorp for awhile, butting heads with Superman every so often. Then she got fired for helping Supes, and started hanging out with Supergirl (who took on a secret identity as Lana's niece), and took a job at the Daily Planet. Since she recently tried to steal Clark away from Lois, I'm rather intrigued to see the workplace dynamics involved in that job.

As for Smallville!Lana, having watched some of the later seasons in my sorta rewatch, I find myself still liking Lana. I guess my negative feelings for her were mostly connected with Clark's silly, long-drawn-out obsession with her (I'm a hardcore Clois fan) and with the writer's adoration of her character. There were so many opportunities to take her into strange and interesting directions...all of which were abandoned because it would have ruined the image the writers had of her.

Comment

I never cared for lana much and i think it is the writers fault.

Lana never offered much. Her Character was hollow. She was a prop for Clark. A tool They failed to give her a good flushed out Identity of her own. They Tried but failed.

She was kind of boring and had no since of humor.

The main dynamic of her existence was crappy teen melodrama. In the style if Max and Liz from Roswell. And that more then anything destroyed that show.
                    ===Quote of the day===
                    "To read makes our speaking English good"

Xander

Comment

Working...
                    X