24: Redemption...and 24 series discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24: Redemption...and 24 series discussion

I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but the return of Jack is tonight! 8/7 Central time. I almost forgot so I wanted to get the reminder out there.

Yes, it's only a 2 hour movie. We still have to wait until January for the new season. But after a year and a half since 24 last aired, I'm dying for this little taste.

Synopsis
    Spoiler:
    After sacrificing everything for his country, Jack Bauer is wanted by the U.S. government and now stands to lose the only thing he has left: his freedom. Working as a missionary in Africa, Bauer is called upon to stop a ruthless warlord from drafting innocent children into his murderous militia. But first, Bauer must confront his own torturous past and face an impossible decision that will change his life forever.

Lydia made the punch!

I have the DVR set up for it. But I don't know when I will actually get around to watching it. To be honest, it's been soooo long since 24 last aired that I barely even remember watching it.

Although I did scan an ad for the movie and made a little fanart out of it.

I'm much more excited for the new season than this movie. I wonder what kind of format the movie will be in. Does it take place over a week or a few hours? Should be interesting to see...
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

So what did everyone think of this 24 movie? I liked it a lot. It's so good to have Jack Bauer back after all these many months without him.

I loved seeing Jack as the protector of the children. It broke my heart that he had to give up his freedom in the end but of course the show needed to get him back to the US somehow. And poor Jack being tortured again! Although I guess after what the Chinese did to him, this torture was not so bad for him.

Yay for 24 being progressive again and having now a female president! Maybe the show can predict the future, I mean the US will now have a black president, which 24 already had years ago. So maybe that means that Hillary Clinton or another woman will someday maybe be president (if the show is right again). So far I like President Taylor but then again anyone would have been better than Daniels who really creeped me out again in this movie. *shudder* President Taylor's job will certainly not be easy if even certain secret service agents seem to be mixed up in dirty dealings. Hopefully, the son of the president (who is a cutie! ) will find out what happened to his friend and about those murky financial transactions. I also immediately wondered whether his girlfriend (or wife? It wasn't that clear to me) was also mixed up in all of this because she works at the same firm as Roger's friend. I guess I'm suspecting moles everywhere again.

I loved to see such character actors as Jon Voigt and Robert Carlisle, their performances added a lot to this movie. I especially thought Kiefer and Robert Carlisle played well off each other.

It kinda bugged me that they portrayed the UN guy in such a negative light. I mean yes I get it, many Americans are not fond of the UN but the UN does a lot of good all around the world and I find it a bit unfair to portray an UN worker as such a coward and traitor. But that's the only thing that I did not like about this movie.

I thought the last scene was really moving and powerful, with President Taylor taking about democracy and working together and at the same time seeing those horrible pictures of the child soldiers and of the people left at the embassy with the chopper flying away. The split screen thingie came in handy for that, it really reenforced the point the show was trying to make.

So on the whole, I thought this 24 movie was a great introduction to the new season. It certainly makes me feel excited and curious about season 7 and I'm glad that as of January 24 will finally air again on a weekly basis.

Comment

I just watched it....kinda. I popped it on as I was playing on my laptop (since Pete is on the desktop where all my good stuff is at! ) And I was sort of playing games, sifting through caps to upload, searching around the net for more cool picture spots, etc.....so I was only half paying attention to the movie. SO I guess you could say it didn't really grab me.

First, I was really happy that it still had the real time format. I was a but scared that it would have been like a regular movie and had some sort of time lapse, so to see it all took place within the two hours. I have to admit that when that 24 flashed on the screen after the cold open, I got chills.

And I did like Jack's sacrifice at the end. Very moving. But that UN guy or whoever played by Gil Bellows was a dick. All those children in danger and he basically blackmails Jack? What a jerk.

Anyway, I am more excited for the new season than I was for this movie. It was alright. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I paid more attention.
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I thought Redemption was awesome! I was really disappointed in Season 6 and after a year and a half, I wondered if I would be as into 24 as I once was. But Redemption totally has got me pumped for Season 7!!!

I'm glad that Jack managed to avoid the US government for so long and that the only way that they were able to get their hooks into him was the ultimatum of "Your life or all those children's lives." My heart breaks for Jack who as an individual is unstoppable and independent of anyone else's help, yet his one weakness is to help those that need helping.

Originally posted by Cori
          It kinda bugged me that they portrayed the UN guy in such a negative light. I mean yes I get it, many Americans are not fond of the UN but the UN does a lot of good all around the world and I find it a bit unfair to portray an UN worker as such a coward and traitor. But that's the only thing that I did not like about this movie.
          The UN guy might have been a jerk, but so was the US ambassador. I think it was more of government/authority is bad than just the UN is bad.

I hated the US ambassador more. He was more concerned about the letter of the law, rather than the spirit which is the relief of human suffering and unfairness. I was about ready to jump through the tv and throttle him if he captured Jack and then didn't save the kids.

I'm glad that Jack's impossible fighting skills haven't dulled. It was hilarious how every shot he makes is dead on or how he'd jump out of a tree with only a knife to take down attackers, or when being tortured was mostly toying with the guy until he got the signal to strike and then easily killed the torturer with his legs. For something so horrible, I think the absurdity makes it easier to swallow and keeps the show from weighing too heavily upon our human sympathies and emotions.

On the US front. I was really sad for the trader who was trying to do the right thing, got no aid or even acknowledgement from his friend, and then got killed. Loved Jon Voight and looked forward to more of his evil character!

I too am glad of the woman president. Not as much because she was a woman. But because I'm hoping the public chose her because she was so different than her predecessors of Logan and Daniels. I'm ready for a president who has an inkling of trust or respect for Jack. (I MISS DAVID PALMER!!!)

I definitely was gripped. The show is more about tension and the wonderment of HOW exactly events will unfold rather than the greater scheme of what does happen. I'm rarely too into 24 if I'm trying to do something else while it is on, so I agree Jenni Lou that's why it wasn't as intense for you.

And for anyone that missed the show. It's already in stores, or at least Best Buy, with extras!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post

The UN guy might have been a jerk, but so was the US ambassador. I think it was more of government/authority is bad than just the UN is bad.
            Yeah, but it showed the UN for what it really is....which is one of the things I love about 24 - it tells it like it is, not feeding us a lot of politically correct bullshit that a lot of other government-type shows feed us *coughWESTWINGcough*[/quote]

I hated the US ambassador more. He was more concerned about the letter of the law, rather than the spirit which is the relief of human suffering and unfairness. I was about ready to jump through the tv and throttle him if he captured Jack and then didn't save the kids.
            yeah, I hated him in that respect, but his job was to get Jack by any means necessary, and I think he recognized that this was the only way.

Also, my husband and I were discussing this, how this probably happens very often in real life, with US embassies being bombarded with cries for help and the workers hands being tied to help them. The couldn't evacuate the entire country, now could they? Of course they had to draw a line somewhere and it must be agonizing for those individuals that have to turn people away like that in the real world.

On the US front. I was really sad for the trader who was trying to do the right thing, got no aid or even acknowledgement from his friend, and then got killed. Loved Jon Voight and looked forward to more of his evil character!
            John Voight rules the world....

I definitely was gripped. The show is more about tension and the wonderment of HOW exactly events will unfold rather than the greater scheme of what does happen.
            For the life of me I can't remember WHY Jack is on the run....the season finales are blending together in my mind....anyone want to clue me back in?

And for anyone that missed the show. It's already in stores, or at least Best Buy, with extras!
            OR, if you're too poor (or cheap) they have it on fox.com for free...
            sigpic

Comment

I felt bad for him too. I got a sort of boy-who-cried-wolf vibe from him. Like he had been helped and saved so many times before that his friend just drew the line and it was at the wrongest of times. Poor guy!

(I MISS DAVID PALMER!!!)
              I with ya, sister!

I think season two is my overall fave season, though five and even four are awesome as well. And ooh! There are some serious season three eps that are just as good. In fact, I think the Ryan Chapelle death scene ranks as my fave scene of all time! Everytime I see it my heart just tightens and my eyes get teary. It's an emotional and riveting and heartbreaking scene and such a good sendoff for a character. We hate him and then in his last moments we see him as someone different and our views our changed!
              I'm rarely too into 24 if I'm trying to do something else while it is on, so I agree Jenni Lou that's why it wasn't as intense for you.
              Yeah, it was my own fault!

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
              For the life of me I can't remember WHY Jack is on the run....the season finales are blending together in my mind....anyone want to clue me back in?
              Oh, gosh it's been so long. S6 was such a disappointment that's it's the only one I still have yet to buy for the DVDs for. So I don't really remember. He's always done questionable things and perhaps his torture tactics caught up with him? The only thing I remember is the last scene after he goes to see Audrey in the coma and then he goes outside and is looking out into the ocean and the sunset. I think.

Maybe Lyn can fill us in.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                yeah, I hated him in that respect, but his job was to get Jack by any means necessary, and I think he recognized that this was the only way.

Also, my husband and I were discussing this, how this probably happens very often in real life, with US embassies being bombarded with cries for help and the workers hands being tied to help them. The couldn't evacuate the entire country, now could they? Of course they had to draw a line somewhere and it must be agonizing for those individuals that have to turn people away like that in the real world.
                You are so right! I didn't mean to undermine the truth that in this world we cant save everyone. It was heartbreakingly sad for all those other people who weren't saved even when Jack did manage to save a few kinds.

John Voight rules the world....
                Truth!

OR, if you're too poor (or cheap) they have it on fox.com for free...
                LOL, that's good too! I was just so shocked to see the box in the store on Wednesday when I hadn't even gotten around to watching my videotaped copy!

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                I felt bad for him too. I got a sort of boy-who-cried-wolf vibe from him. Like he had been helped and saved so many times before that his friend just drew the line and it was at the wrongest of times. Poor guy!
                That's a really nice way to put it. I've been fairly haunted by his death, especially the split screen shot of the cement filling in over his bloody face. Your analogy does help me put it to rest.

I think season two is my overall fave season, though five and even four are awesome as well. And ooh! There are some serious season three eps that are just as good. In fact, I think the Ryan Chapelle death scene ranks as my fave scene of all time! Everytime I see it my heart just tightens and my eyes get teary. It's an emotional and riveting and heartbreaking scene and such a good sendoff for a character. We hate him and then in his last moments we see him as someone different and our views our changed!
                Season 4 is my favorite. Though I love S2 second since it's where we come to see how cool Tony is. And you mention Chapelle's death which makes me think of Division authorities we love to hate, I love Mason's death in S2 saving Jack.

Originally posted by LRae
                Originally posted by Jenni Lou
                Oh, gosh it's been so long. S6 was such a disappointment that's it's the only one I still have yet to buy for the DVDs for. So I don't really remember. He's always done questionable things and perhaps his torture tactics caught up with him? The only thing I remember is the last scene after he goes to see Audrey in the coma and then he goes outside and is looking out into the ocean and the sunset. I think.

Maybe Lyn can fill us in.
                [/QUOTE]
                I can't really remember what happened last season. I remember something about Jack trying to say goodbye to Audrey and then walking on the coast alone. LMAO, which I see is exactly all you could remember! S6 is the only season I didn't run out to buy the week it came out and I still don't have it.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                  I with ya, sister!
                  So am I. David Palmer was definitely the best president so far, he had such dignity and strength of character (most of the times anyway).

My favourite seasons are 2, 3 and 5. Season 4 had some good eps (and Tony being awesome! ) but on the whole I disagreed with too much that was happening in this season. I have just rewatched season 3 and I love it so much! Ryan Chapelle death scene is extremely powerful as is the last scene of the season with Jack crying in the car. Kiefer's performance blows me away every time I watch that scene. I also like the fact that Jack is a bit more vulnerable in this season due to the fact that he had to become a heroin addict in order to maintain his cover with the Salazars. I also really like all the scenes/episodes when Jack is Mexico, some exciting stuff there! And of course Tony putting Michelle's wellbeing above the country's, it breaks my heart every time.

I have just started rewatching season 6 so as soon as I am done I'll be able to fill you guys in why Jack is on the run (again) because I also don't remember.

Comment

That's too funny that none of us remember!!!!

I have been meaning to rewatch season three. It's been so looong and I recall really enjoying how intense the whole hotel arc was....

Honestly, S6 is the only real stinker. And even then, I bet I would enjoy it more on DVD watching them back to back to back to back. Because watching them weekly just doesn't carry the same momentum.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
                      I have just started rewatching season 6 so as soon as I am done I'll be able to fill you guys in why Jack is on the run (again) because I also don't remember.
                      yeah, I've been rewatching it too on fox.com, but they only put up 3 eps a week, so I'll have to wait until January to find out WHY!

I've finally convinced my husband to watch the series, so we've just started a (re for me) watch of S1....oh gosh, how much younger Kiefer was then....I so loved his hair longer. We just watched eppy's 7&8 last night *sigh* I'd completely forgotten how much of a prick Tony was in the beginning of S1! It's hard to remember that I didn't like him once upon a time....and young!Milo! ahh, the good old days....
                      sigpic

Comment

LOL! I have to wonder if Tony would have been as great a character later on if he hadn't been so uptight and against Jack the first season. LOL, yes I remember being so frustrated at him and thinking him such a loser! How weird it is to think back about how Tony started off.

A rewatch sounds great, it's been far too long since I saw the first season. OMG! Nina! And yay for random Milo love!

I can't believe your husband held out so long. I hope he finds it as thrilling as my husband and I have.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

LOL! I have to wonder if Tony would have been as great a character later on if he hadn't been so uptight and against Jack the first season. LOL, yes I remember being so frustrated at him and thinking him such a loser! How weird it is to think back about how Tony started off.

A rewatch sounds great, it's been far too long since I saw the first season. OMG! Nina! And yay for random Milo love!

I can't believe your husband held out so long. I hope he finds it as thrilling as my husband and I have.
                          well, I only started watching it two summers ago and had a major marathon of all 6 seasons. He kind of tunes me out when I go on these marathon binges.... But I was watching redemption on fox.com the other day and he was in the room and was a bit tuned in, and I was like, 'you know if you like this.....' And so....

But yeah, he's loving it so far.....I was at work the other night after we'd watched the first episode together, and he watched the next 5 himself while I was at work! I got so pissed, I made him rewatch them with me.....

and it's sooo HARD! not to spoil him! When Nina first came on the screen I almost yelled 'you bitch!' but I managed not to.... And my husband is convinced that Tony is the bad guy!
                          Last edited by LRae12; 30-11-08, 07:33 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ugh, you guys suck! I totally want to do a random rewatch now. :/ Maybe I will just toss in s3 later. Or maybe season four! Oh I can't decide. Wait, I do miss Palmer so maybe I will go s3 'cause he's in there a lot.

Season one is weird. But I like it a lot. You sort of hate Kim right off the bat. And her friend is crazy!!! But the whole kidnapping arc is exciting...but then the amnesia stuff? Lame. I can't believe the broke out amnesia in season one.

Poor Jack. S1 reminds you that he once had a family and a semblance of a normal life. And now he is basically a fugitive hiding from his crimes, crimes which essentially averted catastrophic events! You can't NOT love Jack. It's impossible.

As for Tony, of course I adore him!!!! But I fear that
                            Spoiler:
                            this upcoming season may assassinate his character. Tony as a bad guy? I don't buy it! I have a feeling they may be setting him up as a villain only to reveal later that he actually isn't. I HOPE!!!

And sorry if I spoiled anyone about his return. But it's not even a spoiler anymore. I've seen it reported all over the place without any spoiler warnings at all!!

Pete really only watched s5 and he liked it so he will have to watch the rest! I've turned him into a tv junkie. He recently started digging Supernatural a lot. He can't wait a week for new eps. So I told him he had to watch my dvds. Plus I told my mom to pick up s3 for me for Christmas because it was on $14.99 at Best Buy!! Shocking!
                            sigpic

Comment

huh, I don't remember the amnesia....I guess I'll actually be a bit surprised myself at some of this season.

But I keep finding Kim a great analogy with my own teens...."see, that's what you get for sneaking out"
                              sigpic

Comment

Okay all, I think I have discovered the secret of Jack being on the run from the US government (again) at the end of season 6. Jack was arrested for stealing a component (a subcircuit board) from one of the nucleur bombs secured by CTU (those nukes used to be in possession of the Arab terrorists but are originally Russian) and for giving it to the Chinese (and thereby giving the Chinese tons of top secret Russian defense stuff) in exchange for Audrey Raines whom the Chinese have kidnapped and tortured. The Russians learned that the Americans had given this component to the Chinese and this all almost escalated in a war between the US and Russia. At least I think that's the reason because over the course of the last 4 or 5 episodes of season 6 Jack was placed into custody and then released from custody again in order to help CTU and then arrested again so many times, it was kinda hard to keep track.

Comment

A-ha! That's right! That's why he goes to see Audrey at the end! D'oh! It's so obvious now. I can't believe I didn't make the connection. The series is so convoluted it is kind of easy to lose track of these things though!

Thanks, Cori!!!
                                  sigpic

Comment

You are welcome!

Although I have now rewatched Redemption and the subpoena that the US ambassador has for Jack is regarding something else: the torture of prisoners during his time at CTU. This is confirmed in the season 7 trailer:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    Apparently there is gonna be a big hearing in Washington regarding this topic and Jack has to testify.

Comment

Thank you Cori! I appreciate the refresher. I remember more of the last of the season now. Question, was this the season that Curtis died?

Originally posted by Cori
                                      At least I think that's the reason because over the course of the last 4 or 5 episodes of season 6 Jack was placed into custody and then released from custody again in order to help CTU and then arrested again so many times, it was kinda hard to keep track.
                                      Oh no. I remember all that. It was like, "Please make up your mind." Either he's a capable hero we trust, or he's an enemy to be imprisoned." While I agree that Jack crosses the line and makes some questionable...and all out wrong choices, the government needed to decide whether he was an ally or an enemy and stick to it. It's also disappointing that the best reveals and twists the show could come up with each week was whether Jack was in handcuffs or in action.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Thank you Cori! I appreciate the refresher. I remember more of the last of the season now. Question, was this the season that Curtis died?
                                        I think so. Wasn't that in the first few eps? Like ep four or so. 'Cause I remember being shocked that they would kill off Curtis since he was one of the only (if slightly) older regulars left. After they offed him we basically has Jack and Chloe and a bunch of new people....and Milo but he was kind of new again. He was never technically a regular before 6.

It's so easy to forget though. 24 is definitely one those shows that doesn't shy away from killing their cast. It's hard to keep track of all the deaths. Other shows *coughHeroescough* should take note.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X