4.10 "The Passenger in the Oven" discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.10 "The Passenger in the Oven" discussion

I really liked the episode, the mystery was great and they made the airplane stuff work.

My favourite part must've been the arrest before they were landing. Booth who tried to make a case, Cam who tried to get Caroline sign the paper and the plane landing. Also the two old ladies were great.

And my two negative points;

Angela and Roxie. I don't buy their relation, maybe the lack of chemistry or because it goes too quick? But what really irked me was the toast between Booth and Bones. Why are they toasting in the first place, but with that kid sitting behind them. They treated him like he stole something instead of pushing a woman in the oven. A whole family is destroyed and a woman died in an oven ... toast!

It was fun!

But once again, the mystery...not too tough. I had a feeling it was that kid. :/

Lots of fun though. And Brenna taking her hair down after Booth leaves =

But I agree, The Angela/Roxie stuff is far too forced. And hello?! She's been in one ep and suddenly Ang wants them to move in together?! Please. There is no chemistry and it eels contrived.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I'd definitely put this episode on my list of favorites. I thought the mystery solving was a blast and how the one passenger lady was so into it like it was her very own Murder on the Orient Express. I loved how Booth had to keep hunting down regular items for Bones autopsy. And it was a rush with the tenseness of trying to get the warrant signed followed by Booth's elatedly spitting out the entire arrest seconds before the landing.

One thing I didn't like was the last scene with them drinking champagne while the kid sat behind them. Like Angela said, he was just a kid. Probably drunk and scuffled with the lady and thought he killed her when she was only knocked out. The being cooked alive scenario was beyond horrible. It just seemed a bit callous to be doing the celebrating in front of the kid.

I believe the Angela/Roxie stuff is supposed to be feel forced. Or maybe that's just the Hodgins fan talking. Angela's afraid of commitment and she won't admit it to herself that's partly why she and Hodgins broke up. I'm glad she's starting to let herself accept this fault of herself. It takes a lot of courage to do it, and I guess she has to start somewhere if she ever wants to find the courage to reconnect with Hodgins.

Great episode!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Amazing episode, one of my favorites. But, as everyone else has mentioned, there was a very odd tone in regards to the murder and murderer.

On the one hand, the murder is one of the most horrific we've seen and the murderer/motive is one of the most heartbreaking. On the other, no one seems to take it seriously. When I saw how cavalier Booth and Brennen were being about the whole thing, sipping champagne and all, I was a little "Um...what? That was horribly sad, and you're celebrating?"

But then the show stayed committed to the tone throughout the whole scene. The kid seems in high spirits. "Are you two going to make out?" He says this with a grin!

And neither Booth nor Brennen seem to hold the murder against the kid.
        "Quiet you! You lost your right to talk. I say we let him sit back there alone the whole flight back."
        "He did kill someone. And he ruined my dig. And you know he's just going to try to drink all the champagne."

It's like because this horrifically tragic thing happened in an airplane it doesn't count...and I kinda love the show for that. I imagine his parents are going to fly back only after they've stood on the Great Wall like they planned. I imagine the murder won't stick, and the kid is just gonna get to play video games in a cell for a few months and then resume life as before with no consequences. Maybe his mother will make a surprise recovery, and maybe that smell on the plane was really a pork roast after all.

Comment

I also loved this episode, interesting murder case if a little too gruesome. I really liked the change of scenery and the old lady was great fun, she thought of better ways to help than Brennan had and I loved the sexy glasses she wore Great arrest scene, loved how he had to say it so quickly before they landed and Cam urging Caroline to just sign the paper - really exciting.

I agree with everyone about the ending, it was a little weird to treat the kid like that and he didn't seem to show any remorse whatsoever or care that he had been caught.

I also don't like Angela and Roxie I do agree with Ehlwyen that it may have been forced deliberately and I can understand that as it goes with how Angela has been feeling lately but I just don't like the idea of Roxie, I think it makes it worse though that I want her to be back with Hodgins.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
            It's like because this horrifically tragic thing happened in an airplane it doesn't count...and I kinda love the show for that.
            You know, I have to agree with you here. My heart shouts that the show is glossing over tragedy and dehumanizing certain elements.

But my mind says, there are people that really do have to deal with such tragedies on a day to day basis. Without some detachment, the job would crush them emotionally.

All in all, I do think that Bones has quite a level of reverence for the subject matter and I do appreciate the humor and detachment. It's a good reminder that bad things happen and the world must...and does go on.

Originally posted by carousel_girl8
            I really liked the change of scenery and the old lady was great fun, she thought of better ways to help than Brennan had and I loved the sexy glasses she wore
            Oh yes! That was a hilarious moment with the glasses and Booth teasing Bones...and Bones having NO CLUE what he's up to!

It was also cute when she was alone and tried shaking her hair out.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
              But I agree, The Angela/Roxie stuff is far too forced. And hello?! She's been in one ep and suddenly Ang wants them to move in together?! Please. There is no chemistry and it eels contrived.
              Personally I thought the A/R thing was forced from the start--the whole thing smacked to me of a desperate ploy by writers out of ideas on what to do with A/H.....so all that annoyed me, yes. But the rest of the epp was so much fun, lots of humor and hijinks, and the very end was so exciting and tense! And I loved it when Brennan thoguht they were clapping for her, and then says, "I've always wondered why people do that"....because it's so true, I've always wondered as well! To me it seems almost insulting like, "Yay for not killing us, we are impressed!"

Plus I loved the more serious B/B moments in the epp, like their discussion of whether solving murders is what Brennan really wants to be doing, and how hurt Booth is by this idea, and how he feels guilty about dragging her into it, and then how she reminds him of how she was the one insisting on being taken into the field in the beginning--it was a nice callback to the Pilot, and I felt all nostalgic and awww....

So yeah, def. one of my faves as well, though I too thought the tone at the end was odd and inappropriate....

5/5

(I only just realized I never responded here!)
              Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I don't think A/R was forced from the start. I think Roxie's attraction was both shy and burning. While Angela seemed shocked that Roxie had given her another thought after they broke up. It seemed real enough attraction and familiarity between them that didnt seem like simply a ratings stunt. The show has alluded to Angela's past before, I thought it was appropriate enough to bring it up.

I don't think I've ever been on a flight where they clap. Is that just for flights across the ocean? I can understand the need to cheer and let out all the pent up nervous energy though.

That's a good point to bring up about how Brennan misses the historical and anthropological aspect of her job. I was really looking forward to them reaching China to do some studying. (I am such a dork. ) I was so sad that they had to turn right around.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                  I don't think I've ever been on a flight where they clap. Is that just for flights across the ocean? I can understand the need to cheer and let out all the pent up nervous energy though.
                  No, actually, it?s usually on non-transatlantic flights I?ve encountered it--flying between DC and Chicago for instance. There was one time when I could understand it because the captain was pretty much a stand-up comic and extremely entertaining throughout the flight in his instructions and commentary, but otherwise....yeah, it has always baffled me! I found it a lot on every flight I took when I visited Switzerland from within Europe as well....but I never encountered it before a few years ago...*shrug* In any case I could sympathize with Brennan on that one!

That's a good point to bring up about how Brennan misses the historical and anthropological aspect of her job. I was really looking forward to them reaching China to do some studying. (I am such a dork. ) I was so sad that they had to turn right around.
                  Lol, me too if only to see Booth ?Helping?her at it!
                  Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Working...
                  X