• Show
Clear All
  • KingofCretins
    What?
    • May 2007

Heroes 3.09 "It's Coming" Spoiler Discussion Thread

First of all... that's what she said.

Okay, to the episode.

Starting with Hiro and Ando, I really love Ando. I mean, he's awesome. So absolutely brave and loyal. He charged Arthur and was lucky to survive. He tried, even though it was too late, to defend Kaito. And I love the way he has taken over teaching now 10 year old Hiro how to fight again.

But... the whole "replaying all their 1.01 stuff in reverse" is stuck between charming and really annoying for me. If the result is that Hiro isn't a dick anymore this season, though, it's worth it.

Arthur is just a fantastic villain. Short of Twilight from Season 8 and Grand Admiral Thrawn from the Timothy Zahn "Heir to the Empire" trilogy, he's probably the most engaging new villain in any fiction I've run into in a long time. When Peter had all that power, he was still somewhat harmless because he was a good guy and somewhat single minded. Sylar has all that power, but he was relatively safe because he was so single-minded with the search for braaaaaaaaaiiiins. But Arthur has all that power, more than anyone, and worse... he has a vision. He has a plan, and belief.

I loved the little things with him in this episode. No anger over Sylar's small betrayal, in fact, he turns it into a teaching opportunity. His smoothness in accepting Traci's loyalty. His casual but threatening manner with Daphne. And, most intriguingly, his merciless dealing with Matt, but then his willingness to relent and even free Angela. Just turned his back and let them go. Didn't have to, not at all. Just decided he could afford it.

Matt and Daphne are adorable.

Okay, Peter. First of all, I love Peter still. He is so authentically heroic. And I loved that he was willing to bluff (and be pretty convincing, even Knox apparently didn't sense fear) that he was at full power and stare down Knox and Flint to save Claire. I loved that, a couple episodes back, he told his nemesis, Sylar, "just kick his ass and let's get out of here". I really, really hope that he ends up getting his powers back, or at least HIS power back, so he can go back to work.

But then there's Sylar. This season has introduced a partial retcon of Sylar's power. Not the hunger thing, but the power itself. First, we had Bennet say in "Villains" that his power involved "the ability to transfer power from one person to another". Huh? Hamnoo? Intuitive aptitude is his power, understanding of how things work. We never have known *how* he obtains the powers, so it's not a full retcon, but it was always presumed that whatever he did was just a way to benefit from his actual power. But now, it seems to include "the ability to transfer power from one person to another". And Arthur confirms this and likens it *very* much to Peter's ability of empathic mimicry, and reveals, I think, that this is Arthur's own power. So, the result is, Sylar can now continue to feed his "hunger" (and therefore keep his sinister edge, is the purpose, I think) without killing people.

So... it's "okay" for Sylar to be an endless pool of more and more power, but not Peter. Just because. Apparently. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I could probably geek out and write an entire paper about Arthur, Sylar, and Peter's respective powers.

Zach Quinto and Kristen Bell were awesome in this episode -- especially Elle, tricked, trapped, desperate, angry, and blasting the crap out of him. And, they were charming when they were flirting. But, uh... W T F?

I'm sorry, I buy the hatred. I even buy the 'shippiness when they get to it. But the transition is patently absurd its probably the poorest writing they've ever had on "Heroes". She just "gets over" Sylar murdering her father? Crappy father or not, *what*? Just terrible. But, Kristen Bell basically STEALS this show everytime she's on it, and frankly, if NBC had any sense, they would push *immediately* to lock her up in a deal and spin Elle off into her own series. Or movie. Or something.

The sequences of the "heroes" and "villains" coming together at the end was really very impressive. Kristen looked especially bad-ass coming into Arthur's office (even though it makes little sense she'd want to be there, since she was clearly taken prisoner).
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12
  • XavierZane
    Book Guy
    • Aug 2008

I loved every second of this episode. It was my favorite of the season (and I love this season, so that's saying a lot) and one of my favorites of the entire series.

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Starting with Hiro and Ando, I really love Ando. I mean, he's awesome. So absolutely brave and loyal. He charged Arthur and was lucky to survive. He tried, even though it was too late, to defend Kaito. And I love the way he has taken over teaching now 10 year old Hiro how to fight again.
    I love 10 year old Hiro. So much. And I love that his first impulse was to visit the comic book store. I kinda, almost, storta, maybe want Hiro to stay a ten year old for the rest of the season.

Arthur is just a fantastic villain. Short of Twilight from Season 8 and Grand Admiral Thrawn from the Timothy Zahn "Heir to the Empire" trilogy, he's probably the most engaging new villain in any fiction I've run into in a long time. When Peter had all that power, he was still somewhat harmless because he was a good guy and somewhat single minded. Sylar has all that power, but he was relatively safe because he was so single-minded with the search for braaaaaaaaaiiiins. But Arthur has all that power, more than anyone, and worse... he has a vision. He has a plan, and belief.
    Arthur is good. I still think Season 1 Sylar was better, and I can't get past how many awesome villains had to be sacrificed in order to give Arthur his cred. But I do like Arthur and his badassery. I especially like his intriguing relationship with Angela.

And major geek points for bringing Grand Admiral Thrawn into this.

Matt and Daphne are adorable.
    Yes, yes they are. And I love that Matt is basically the truest hero on the show. Peter, Claire, even Hiro have had brushes with the dark side, or dark versions of them this season, but Matt has really stepped up and stayed focused on battling evil. Matt is one of my favorite characters, and I really hope this season does him justice (finally).

With just a little more refinement of his power, he could become one of the most powerful people on the show. With a little more confidence he could emerge in a serious leadership position.

But then there's Sylar. This season has introduced a partial retcon of Sylar's power. Not the hunger thing, but the power itself. First, we had Bennet say in "Villains" that his power involved "the ability to transfer power from one person to another". Huh? Hamnoo? Intuitive aptitude is his power, understanding of how things work. We never have known *how* he obtains the powers, so it's not a full retcon, but it was always presumed that whatever he did was just a way to benefit from his actual power. But now, it seems to include "the ability to transfer power from one person to another". And Arthur confirms this and likens it *very* much to Peter's ability of empathic mimicry, and reveals, I think, that this is Arthur's own power. So, the result is, Sylar can now continue to feed his "hunger" (and therefore keep his sinister edge, is the purpose, I think) without killing people.
    I'm finally getting behind the redemption arc. The "Forgive Me" montage in season 1, the phone message to Chandra about "the hunger", all make me think that they've been planning a redemption for awhile. And last episode's horrid continuity was, according to a behind the scenes thing, a result of bad editing. The scene with Elle and HRG at the end of the episode was supposed to be weeks or months after their main story, so that retcon is at least conceivable.

That being said, I hope that Sylar is working his own angle with Angela and Arthur. I want MagnificentBastard!Sylar back, and sooner rather than later.

I could probably geek out and write an entire paper about Arthur, Sylar, and Peter's respective powers.
    Do it! I'd totally read it. Their powers fascinate me. You tell me your take on their powers and I'll tell you mine.

Comment

• Enisy
      Slayer
      • Sep 2007

Blegh, I really disliked this episode. Sylar seemed very out of character to me (for the first time since this transition of his started), in both actions and dialogue, and likewise for Elle (for pretty much all the reasons King mentioned). Hiro and Ando are again reduced to comic relief, giving the impression that either the writers don't know what to do with them anymore, or they are keeping them in their stereotypical roles to please the fans. Daphne's "I love you" to Matt makes next to no sense, given how little they know each other, so what I considered an adorable setup is negated for the sake of Instant Romance (long live Angel/Buffy). Arthur bores me to death. My inner Nathan and Noah fangirl is weeping for their limited and crappy screentime this season. Even Mohinder's narration is back. Argh.

At least the Peter/Claire scenes were nice.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

• carousel_girl8
        Twilight Whore
        • Jun 2007

I really liked this episode, I think Hiro and Ando work well as the comic relief so it doesn't bother me that they are back to being the funny characters. When they are serious, they are really boring. I think it's quite cute too how Hiro is a 10 year old .

I really like Daphne and Matt together I agree though with Enisy that it is a little weird for her to say 'I love you' so soon but maybe she really does love him because he is probably the only man in her whole life who is trustworthy. I can imagine that Daphne is actually quite naive. I love Matt too so glad that he is getting a decent storyline this year rather than just being in the background most of the time.

Like most Heroe's fans on here, I love Elle and really liked her scene with Sylar this episode. I agree that it is a little strange how she can forgive him so quickly for killing her father, but I think she probably blames herself anyway for not helping Sylar more before. If she hadn't sent a hero to him to get him to show his powers, he may in time, have changed quicker than he did. I also like how Sylar can now take peoples powers without killing them and how they still have there power. I thought the scene where she was trying to teach him how to use her power was so cute.

I hated the scene with Mohinder and that man being used as a lab rat, it shows how far he will go to make that man suffer. I don't see how they could change him back to how he was now, I think he is too far gone.

I also liked Claire and Peter this season, how Peter tricked Knox and Flint. I think these two would make a good duo in the show.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X