Moves to Friday... Great...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moves to Friday... Great...

The latest Entertainment Weekly just arrived in my mailbox and with it some bad news... Looks like TSCC will be moved to Friday nights...

The trouble continues for Joss Whedon's latest project, Dollhouse. Plagued by reshoots and a production shutdown last September, the drama - about a creepy organization that strips people of their personalities - got another hit of bad news last week when Fox announced it would air on Friday evenings starting in February. (That's the equivalent of a football team playing to a half-empty stadium.) The news is particularly alarming to fans of sci-fi mastermind Whedon because his last series, Firefly, aired on that night for just 11 weeks in 2002.

Problem is, Fox had a limited number of time periods to choose from. When 24 returns to its normal Monday slot in January, it'll be paired with House. The network wants to nurse the fragile (and expensive) Fringe, so it'll go on Tuesdays after American Idol. Lie to Me, a new drama with Tim Roth as a professional fib detector, was given a Wednesday berth after Idol because of its potential mainstream appeal. (It helps that Lie resembles this season's lone new hit, CBS' The Mentalist.) With proven performers Bones and Kitchen Nightmares filling Thursdays, the most lucrative night of television, that left Fridays for Dollhouse. Worse, it will air after the low-rated Sarah Connor Chronicles.

If there's any upside to living in TV Siberia, it's the lowered expectations that come with the territory: The night's highest-rated shows don't even clear 10 million viewers on a regular basis.
    www.ew.com

This is just really really bad news! I am taking this as a sign that TSCC won't be back for a third season. Friday night slots are just horrable, who is at home friday nights anymore? The only plus side is Dollhouse will follow allowing fans to watch both shows in one night (I have a feeling they will play well together).

I really wish Fox would have kept T:SCC on Monday nights, its pretty solid and I just Love watching TSCC before Heroes... Oh well... Lets hope season 2 ends with a bang!

Yeah, I read this last week. So sad. And I', even peeved about Dollhouse being on Fridays because the last Joss show that was there *coughFIREFLYcough* got totally screwed.

The schedule is ridiculous. I mean moving House to Monday with 24?! Okay, those are two powerhouse shows and should be split in the week so that they can help bring in viewers to other shows that follow/precede them.

On the upside, the series did get its full season pickup and has the entire season to pick up more viewers. Word-of-mouth can really help it out. And I am honestly not worried yet because FOX doesn't have a ton of big successful dramas so they may stick with this one and let it build a fanbase, something they don't seem usually so willing to do.

We'll just have to wait and see. :/

Also of note, it has another new drama airing in winter, "Lie to Me", and it airs after American Idol. And if that show doesn't do well, the schedule will no doubt be rearranged again. So I am going to go ahead and say it's premature to freak out just yet. But still, damn you Fox!
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Personally, I couldn't get more ecstatic over this news. I have an extremely difficult time on Mondays since TSCC and Chuck air at the same time.

I also really miss Moonlight which aired on Fridays last year. And I now have a reason to look forward to Friday evenings rather than just the whooosh of "omg I'm free for the weekend what do I do?"

I think TSCC and Dollhouse make a great Sci Fi pairing and hopefully the two disparate fandoms will join forces and double the viewing ratings.

And at least American Idol never airs on Friday so it won't mess up it's airing schedule. I think it's a solid Friday lineup. Friday isn't the kiss of death, place to shows go to die that it used to be.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
        Friday isn't the kiss of death, place to shows go to die that it used to be.
        On FOX it is though. I can't think of anything successful that's lasted there. :/
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I'm glad about the move. I've been forced to miss several "Terminator" episodes since "Gossip Girl" and "Chuck" air on the same night and time. So, I'll defiantly follow it to Friday. I just hope FOX gives both shows a fair chance... "Terminator" made higher rating last season because it aired during the strike, and not many new episodes of it's Monday night competition wasn't on. Since Friday doesn't have much on, and expectations are lower, if it rises at least 2 million viewers, they might give it a chance.
          Thomas
          Ŧħ?'mąś
          Last edited by Thomas; 15-11-08, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
            On FOX it is though. I can't think of anything successful that's lasted there. :/
            Neither can I. But I can't name a show that aired on Friday on Fox in the last 4 years either. And more particularly, a Sci-Fi show that aired then.

As a guess, I really don't think Prison Break brought any new fans to Terminator. Nor do I think it would help Dollhouse. 24 might have bumped either's ratings. But if Fox airs commercials during 24 and American Idol then maybe that will be enough to get newcomers to try out the show on Friday.

I also think Sci-fi fans are more likely to turn into a show regardless of the day it airs than any other type of show. As far as I know, no other channel has any Sci-fi or remotely young or edgy show on during those time slots except Ghost Whisperer. Which even I couldn't get interested in when it aired before Moonlight.

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
            I'm glad about the move. I've been forced to miss several "Terminator" episodes since "Gossip Girl" and "Chuck" air on the same night and time.
            Exactly!! Thank you for saying it! I'm in a similar boat, only I'm someone who doesn't watch GG since I'm too centered on Chuck and Terminator. So moving Terminator, might bump up all three show's ratings. And Chuck has been getting fairly low ratings as well.

Originally posted by Thomas
            So, I'll defiantly follow it to Friday. I just hope FOX gives both shows a fair chance... "Terminator" made higher rating last season because it aired during the strike, and not many new episodes of it's Monday night competition wasn't on. Since Friday doesn't have much on, and expectations are lower, if it rises at least 2 million viewers, they might give it a chance.
            I was really surprised when there were rumors that ratings were low enough to get TSCC canceled. That's scary. With Terminator: Salvation being released next summer, I really believe that Fox is going to hope to ride some of that advertisement/goodwill/hype that comes from its success. So I really think that as long as TSCC isn't completely abysmal in ratings that it will at least get a midseason pickup for the 2009-10 tv season.

I'm very worried about Dollhouse considering all these production troubles. I'm glad My Own Worst Enemy got canceled. At least the premise is already out there allowing some viewers to be less confused, and critics will have a chance to say "Whedon gets it right and totally makes the concept work."

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
              Neither can I. But I can't name a show that aired on Friday on Fox in the last 4 years either.
              Good point.

Exactly!! Thank you for saying it! I'm in a similar boat, only I'm someone who doesn't watch GG since I'm too centered on Chuck and Terminator. So moving Terminator, might bump up all three show's ratings. And Chuck has been getting fairly low ratings as well.
              Well, I will admit that Mondays are insane. I watch like 7 or so shows that air that night! And so I am forced to view some of them online. Isn't it nice that networks put full eps on their websites now? Seriously though: Terminator, Chuck, Gossip Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Prison Break, One Tree Hill, Heroes...And that's not even including The Big Bang Theory and Samantha Who, which I don't watch religiously but still enjoy when I can catch them. Crazy, right?!

I was really surprised when there were rumors that ratings were low enough to get TSCC canceled. That's scary. With Terminator: Salvation being released next summer, I really believe that Fox is going to hope to ride some of that advertisement/goodwill/hype that comes from its success. So I really think that as long as TSCC isn't completely abysmal in ratings that it will at least get a midseason pickup for the 2009-10 tv season.
              Actually, I think Salvation was a big reason for he full season pick-up. With anticipation for a new installment slowly simmering, I think Fox is hoping that they can translate that excitement into more viewers.

Again, I think FOX is doing something they don't tend to do: play the waiting game and try to build a fanbase. And I am glad. They have to try something new other than canceling something that isn't an automatic hit.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                Well, I will admit that Mondays are insane. I watch like 7 or so shows that air that night! And so I am forced to view some of them online. Isn't it nice that networks put full eps on their websites now? Seriously though: Terminator, Chuck, Gossip Girl, How I Met Your Mother, Prison Break, One Tree Hill, Heroes...And that's not even including The Big Bang Theory and Samantha Who, which I don't watch religiously but still enjoy when I can catch them. Crazy, right?!
                That's a lot of shows. I think my head would explode trying to keep up with that many...and on one night!

Actually, I think Salvation was a big reason for he full season pick-up. With anticipation for a new installment slowly simmering, I think Fox is hoping that they can translate that excitement into more viewers.
                I agree. I wasn't too worried that TSCC would get canceled, though I thought Fox might use the ratings as a reason to not order any more for the year and then see how Salvation did at the box office to decide whether it would revive it next tv season. I'm thrilled for the full season pick up...it's 22 eps right?

Again, I think FOX is doing something they don't tend to do: play the waiting game and try to build a fanbase. And I am glad. They have to try something new other than canceling something that isn't an automatic hit.
                It's about time! But with TSCC and Whedon's Dollhouse, they have to realize how devoted core fanbases each of those have. And Fox loves word of mouth which each of those are getting.

Fox is a point at which it has the luxury of letting a show gain a fanbase. American Idol's success means that they don't have to worry about getting advertisers. 24 has viewer anticipation since it's been gone for 2 years. House is still solid. And apparently Prison Break and Bones are still doing well that Fox considers them solid performers. Throw in 5th Grader and whatever else they do on Thursday and Sunday's cartoon lineup, Fox doesn't have any real dead blocks of tv.

However, Fox does have a lot of aging programs, so I think they really hope that at least one of Fringe, Dollhouse, and TSCC will spark and become a solid performer or a hot new thing.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Yeah, 22 eps.

Another things that separates FOX from the three main networks is that they only have two hours of primetime network programming, as opposed to three. They have fewer series to worry about. And less scheduling to be concerned about.

Hopefully this block will break the Friday curse. It's a solid lineup with built in fanbases, Terminator and Whedon, respectively. All we can hope it that they give them some time to grow. Oh, and hope Dollhouse doesn't suck.

As for all my Monday viewing....it's not that bad. You have to keep in mind that I don't actually watch most of those on Monday at all. Some of the are DVRed and I watch them when I do housework and whatnot. And the others I watch after I put my daughter to bed and go play on the PC while I watch them on my laptop. So I watch them over the whole week. I rock at the multitasking.
                  sigpic

Comment

Honestly, though, we are talking about SCI-FI fans here. If there's any mainstream appeal at all (which I think Terminator has a solid pre-teen and teenage fanbase), then Friday nights will be fine as, to generalize a stereotype, many a sci-fi fan doesn't necessarily have plans on a friday night!

And with the economy beginning to suck it, I think a lot of these same fans who might go out for a movie on friday night might instead stay home to watch these two shows.

I think the real question is whether or not DVR is taken into account in ratings. I literally do not know a single person who watches television live anymore. To me it doesn't matter what night a show actually airs, so long as it doesn't air simultaneously with 2 other shows I watch! Terminator and Dollhouse on fridays is awesome-possum!

Nothing need die anywhere anymore, regardless of time-slot, thanks to DVR!

Comment

Originally posted by Chamber005 View Post
                      I think the real question is whether or not DVR is taken into account in ratings.
                      They do now! As do purchased internet downloads and to a lesser degree, live streaming on network websites. Basically there is a tally for DVR viewing with the first 7 days of its original airdate.

Gossip Girl, for example (as it is in direct competition with TSCC on Mondays), frequently does very well with iTunes, and is often the number one downloaded show. So it's somewhat lukewarm ratings aren't really worried about because people watch it by another means.

Just goes to show how the face of consumerism is changing yet again with the times and technology!
                      sigpic

Comment

I do not get the concept of missing episodes. I watch what i miss on Hulu.com

I have never seen an episode of chuck on tv. I watch it on hulu. every week.

As for TTSCC I do watch that on TV. It is sad that it is not doing as well as it should. I think it is the best new show on TV.
                        ===Quote of the day===
                        "To read makes our speaking English good"

Xander

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Billy View Post
                          I do not get the concept of missing episodes. I watch what i miss on Hulu.com
                          Well alot of sites, like hulu.com, are not open to people outside of the United States which makes getting ahold of episodes a bit tougher. Also my computer is pretty damn slow so watching it through streaming video is just a pain...

As for what people are bringing up in this thread. Yeah I guess it could be a plus to team up Dollhouse with Terminator. I mean there is a pretty rabid Joss fanbase. Someone brought up a good point about teaming up some of these new shows with older shows that are hits...

Oh well, we will see when this all happens. But I still fear it will be a tricky obsticle for these shows to get past

Comment

Well, It kinda sucks for me that it's moving to fridays b/c I usually leave and go hang out with friends, but that's usually later in the night. SO hopefully I can catch it before I leave, and if I cant I'll just leave my TV on and DVR it and set my timer to turn my tv off after the hour is up. So I can still be giving the show my view!
                            East Wick Season Two -Coming Soon-

Banner By: Pandora's Box

Comment

I'm not too worried about the Friday slot. As Eliza Dushku put it: "Dude, we're in the age of DVR. People watch what they want to watch." Besides, everything at FOX revolves around American Idol (a fact which totally bewilders me, which may have something to do with the fact that the shows I tend to like tend to get cancelled) and this move is, in part, preparation for AI coming back.

TSSC simply can't compete with Chuck (which has a similar fanbase) and Monday Night Football. If it kept coming up short on Mondays, it'd be doomed. But Friday carries much lower expectations, which I see as increasing the likelihood the show will survive.
                              Cordially,
                              Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                              Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Working...
                              X