X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Doctor Who news (spoilers)

Originally posted by BBC
    David Tennant quits as Doctor Who

David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

"Now don't make me cry," he added. "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

'I'll miss it'

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC in an exclusive interview.

"I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh

David Tennant

His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

"And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

"That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

"I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

Drama award

Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

David Tennant beat co-star Catherine Tate at the National Television Awards

In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.

In a sign of his popularity, he was voted best drama performer in a public vote at the National Television Awards.

He has been named most popular actor at the same ceremony for the past two years. That prize has been discontinued this year.

An average of 8.1 million people a week watched the latest series - the fourth since it made a comeback in 2005 - in its Saturday evening slot on BBC One.

'Spectacular' exit

Russell T Davies, executive producer, said: "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching."

David Tennant has recently acted with the Royal Shakespeare Company

A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.

Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show after a 16-year break.

Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.

He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor Who would be Tennant's last.

He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old nonsense."

He was the reason that I started watching DW and I love the 10th doctor. But I think that it's better to move on, so I'm not sad about this.
    Last edited by Cori; 30-10-08, 10:36 AM. Reason: The title of this thread is quite spoilery so I changed it.

I think it's about the right time to move on to 11. We'll have a new show runner ushering in a new era and a new Doctor for him to play with. I have to admit though that it will be a wrench to see DT go. He has to go down as one of the most charismatic Doctors we have had. He's up there with Tom Baker for me.

I'm a bit surprised at the announcement though as I thought they might try and keep the next regen under wraps. I was hoping for a regen in the first few eps of the next full season just to throw people. It's plain to see that it wasn't an easy decision for DT and, that as a long time fan of the show himself, he is still emotionally invested in it to a high degree.

Well played Mr Tennant, well played.
    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I'm ready for a new doc, but like Mark, surprised they're announcing it now. Maybe they thought it was going to leak out anyway?

Now I'm GAGGING to know who's next...

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

It's sad and I will miss Tennant but at least we get 4 more episodes with him

I'm just really excited and mostly REALLY NERVOUS to see who the next Doctor will be
        >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Comment

This news made my day.

Why? I love David Tennant and of course I love him as the Doctor, but I would love to see him do other things and have new things come out that AREN'T related to DW. Quite frankly, I was sick of him as the Doctor - he's such a good actor and I know he can do other jobs just as well. (and being a site owner, he needs some new content ) However I did want to cry watching his acceptance speech because he was emotional about it.

Comment

Can't wait to find out who's next... Hope they'll pick someone who'll take it in a new direction. I loved how camp and fun Tennant was, but I'd love to see someone show us another side of the Doctor. Tamsin Grieg should, really, but somehow I don't see that one happening...
            "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
            -John Green

Comment

I've been listening to Radio 1 this week and Edith Bowman came up with a good idea for the new doctor... David Mitchell. I think this is a great idea what about you guys? I don't watch Doctor Who religously but my little brother loves it so I tend to see quite a bit of it and I think Mitchell would be hilarious, definately the new Tom Baker imo.

For those of you who don't know who I mean, he stars in Peep Show and That Mitchell and Webb look.
              Last edited by carousel_girl8; 06-11-08, 03:42 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carousel_girl8 View Post
                I've been listening to Radio 1 this week and Edith Bowman came up with a good idea for the new doctor... David Mitchell. I think this is a great idea what about you guys? I don't watch Doctor Who religously but my little brother loves it so I tend to see quite a bit of it and I think Mitchell would be hilarious, definately the new Tom Baker imo.

For those of you who don't know who I mean, he stars in Peep Show and That Mitchell and Webb look.
                Oh my god he would be so good! I love love him. Brilliant idea!

From your lips to the BBC's ears

Comment

Not sure if this is true or just one of the many rumors .... but;

ELEVEN? THAT'S NUMBERWANG!

Lying In The Gutters currently feels ready to make the call that Paterson Joseph is the new Doctor Who. I understand that while there were still a number of contenders in the running at the beginning of last week, the role was offered to him by the BBC a few days later and he accepted.

That Joseph was showrunner-from-2010 Steven Moffat's favourite choice, was revealed in Lying In The Gutters in early October, which caused the bookies to make him their favourite.

His odds dropped when further tabloid rumours tagged other actors, as well as a horrific misreading of the upcoming Christmas special co-starring David Morrissey as The Next Doctor - ignoring the audio drama it is based on, “The One Doctor.”

But as of now, he's the bookies' favourite again. And PaddyPower have withdrawn the category, a sign that they believe the decision has been made. Meanwhile Betfair have him at around 1/2 odds.

Paterson Joseph starred in a very Hartnell/Pertwee turn as The Marquis De Carabas in “Neverwhere” by Neil Gaiman, rumoured to be writing an episode of the series in 2010.

Joseph also played a strong supporting role in Steve Moffat's “Jekyll”, Alan Johnson in “Peep Show” and a regular character actor in “The Mitchell And Webb Look”. He currently appears in the BBC remaking of Terry Nation's "Survivors."

He does a great line in pompous, mischievous, inspiring, well-presented, well-spoken, with a big cheesey grin.

He's absolutely perfect for the role. I can't wait.

Also for 2010, we're not only getting a new Doctor but it appears the TARDIS console room will get a new desktop theme…

source

If this is true, 11 will be a black (or do English people say 'brown' just like Dutch people?) doctor

http://i36.tinypic.com/14buerc.jpg
                  Last edited by Nina; 25-11-08, 07:55 PM.

Comment

What's "Lying in the Gutters"? Is it a reliable source?

I love Peep Show... wonder if he's a bit cheesy? I haven't seen Survivors yet, would be curious to see him in something serious(ish) before considering what kind of Doc he'd make.

But... wow, I wasn't expecting to find out for aaages... if this is the pick, that leaves bloody ages of buildup before he actually gets on screen!

Comment

Hmm not sure about this. I mean I know Freema played Martha shortly after her first appearance in Who but having an actor take on the main part after having a not tiny role seems a bit much.

I don't think he'd be a bad pick mind, although his voice grates on me a tad.
                      JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                      Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
                        Hmm not sure about this. I mean I know Freema played Martha shortly after her first appearance in Who but having an actor take on the main part after having a not tiny role seems a bit much.

I don't think he'd be a bad pick mind, although his voice grates on me a tad.
                        I think he sounds a bit like Gaius Baltar. Who is awesome, so I'm not bothered.

Comment

Sorry for posting something off topic, but I downloaded the special episode of the Original Series The Five Doctors and would like to know if anyone has the subtitles for it? Coul be i English, couse is easier to me undestand it wile reading.
                          Sorry, I don't speak English.

Comment

Originally posted by BBC
                            The name of the actor who will replace David Tennant as the Doctor will be announced on Saturday.

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

His replacement - the eleventh Doctor of the TV series - will be revealed in a Doctor Who Confidential programme on BBC One at 1735 on 3 January.

The casting was confirmed over Christmas and filming for the 2010 series begins in the summer.

Tennant is due to begin shooting the first of his four specials this month, just weeks after surgery on his back.

The last of these episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

The casting decision has been a priority for the show's new creative team, led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger.

The BBC said that in Saturday's Doctor Who special "the actor playing the new Doctor will be giving his or her initial reaction" to becoming TV's most famous time traveller.

Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own.

"I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

Shortly after Tennant's announcement, bookmakers were tipping several well-known names as the next actor (or actress) to step into the Tardis.

Murphy's Law and Cold Feet star James Nesbitt emerged as one of the favourites, along with Paterson Joseph, John Simm and David Morrissey - who appeared in the 2008 Christmas special.

Paterson Joseph, who recently starred in Survivors and appeared in two Doctor Who episodes in 2005, has said "any actor would love the challenge" of playing the Time Lord.

Bookmakers made him an early favourite - offering odds of 3-1 on him becoming the first black Doctor.

Comedian Jennifer Saunders, former Doctor Who assistant Billie Piper and film star Catherine Zeta Jones have also been mentioned in connection with the role.

The show's outgoing executive producer Russell T Davies said last month: "Whoever becomes the Doctor has got to take on a whole life. It's not just becoming a part of a TV show."

In October, when Tennant was asked who he thought should replace him, he joked: "Well, I've always been a big supporter of Wee Jimmy Krankie!"

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the role the same year.
                            I can't wait to find out about it.

I'm suprised that the 4 specials won't air in 2009, this is going to be a very DW-lite year.

Comment

Not long to wait now...

Will the internet implode tomorrow??

The BBC has said they will announce the Eleventh Doctor tomorrow on a special Doctor Who Confidential at 5.35pm GMT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807742.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                                I'm suprised that the 4 specials won't air in 2009, this is going to be a very DW-lite year.
                                There will be specials airing in 2009, just not all of them, according to the article you posted - it says the last of them will air in 2010, not all.

Did anyone else catch Doctor Who at the Proms? It featured a specially filmed interactive sequence, Music of the Spheres, and was absolutely awesome.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge the last of those specials airs on New Years Day 2010 (Wow it feels wierd writing that date). So when the story says 'early in 2010' it means early.
                                  JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                                  Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

So fresh from watching the revelation of who the eleventh doctor will be - it looks like I'm the first to say it....

Spoiler:
                                    He's called Matt Smith, 26 years old and I've never heard of him!

Here's his IMDB profile

link

Totally, not what I was expecting! He looks so much younger than 26, so I hope he'll be able to pull off the maturity of a 900 plus yr old time travelling alien. Both Stephen Moffat and RTD seemed really excited about him, and they found him on the first day of auditions so with any luck he'll be as good as CE and DT have been so far. *fingers crossed*

Reactions, anyone?
                                    sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

I don't think we need to spoiler tag the news, since this is a spoiler thread.

My immediate reaction was 'wow, he looks young.' But he isn't actually that much younger than Peter Davison was when he took the role.

I think he has a lot of potential. I don't really know his work, but as I recall he did an excellent job in Ruby in the Smoke, and he certainly demonstrated plenty of dramatic range in the clips they showed of his previous roles. So, fingers crossed!

I wanna see what they do with his hair and wardrobe now. Although...they seemed all excited about his hair as it is, which is bothersome because it kind of annoyed me. I can't be doing with people letting their hair fall all over their eyes like that! It makes me long for a pair of scissors.

Comment

Oh, have posted a separate thread on this....could a mod maybe merge them? Or shall we move to new thread?

Comment

Working...
                                        X