Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 8.06 "Prey"

So here we are again! A LATE THREAD!!!!

Anyways, the latest episode of Smallville was on top of the list for me. We got pretty much everything a good Smallville episode needs (they really have been hitting them outta the park this season!) I really can't wait to see what happends and I am just so excited that both Davis and Tess have become really amazing characters and not just forced into day-players (which was my fear from the moment I heard about them...)

On to the EPISODE!

The idea of Chloe making that "special" people group was cool, and I am glad Chloe is using her abilities and resources to help those who are in trouble. When Chloe and Clark were fighting about it I was glad Chloe twisted it around and says she wasn't able to save any of the meteor freaks. I never thought of it that way, and it is great too see them giving Chloe such an important and major storyline.

The group of kids themselves were pretty cool and it has the feeling of a Teen Titans vibe. Which is cool and maybe we will start seeing more characters from the comics like Beast Boy (though that could be tricky...).

Davis is just so interesting. I gotta say I am glad he isn't in every episode, cause just the few we've had so far makes me wonder SO MUCH about it. What is his secret? Why was he covered in blood? Why did he have no scratches? WHAT IS GOING ON DAVIS!??!?! I can't wait to see what happends and how things turn and change and just ohhh I can't wait ^_^ Plus he seems to have some great chemestry with both Chloe and Clark and he just fits right in - perfect casting choice. Though he may start to out-shirtless Ollie.

Now the storyline and the hunt for this killer had me stumped. I thought it was Davis and then I thought that would be WAY to early to reveal his secret (though I am happy he and Chloe can confide in each other) and when it turned out to the that Shadow kid I was like "omg! he is so gunna join Tess' army!"

Uh speaking of Tess, does anyone else think that scene where her assistant offers the kid to join her team, would have been WAY more interesting/affective had it been Tess herself? Now don't get me wrong, the actress playing the assistant was fine, but I like the idea of Tess doing her own dirty work like Lex did. OH WELL whatever it takes to save a dime...

Now Jimmy felt, again, forced into this episode. He is the only character/cast memeber who seems to not mesh aswell as everyone else. I think I would have rathered Lois following Davis around then Jimmy, plus I'm sure Davis and Lois would be a blast together!

I'm really proud of Chloe starting a self help group. And hopefully she now understands the importance of such groups as being ANONYMOUS (no, it's not just a catchy name) and not have role call sheets. And Mutant Freaks Anonymous acronym? MFA? MF-Awesome!

DAVIS!!! The vulnerability and human compassion that he expresses simply floors me. Even in the tiniest of scenes. And even alone. In a shower. Naked. I'm sorry I had a point which is that Sam Witwer's acting really steps up the quality of the show.

I worry so much about Davis. His blackouts. These unsolved deaths. Please please don't let Davis be/go evil! He seem like such a good person I really root for him. *huggles*

Clark crossed a big line for me when he stole that list of names. His justification that it did end up being one of those kids also grated me. Such tactics just set up persecution and hate and really never give those meteor freaks a chance to become anything other than what they are perceived to be by outsiders. Clark prides himself on saving the innocent. I loved how Chloe turned the view around by saying that of all the meteor freaks she had identified she hadn't been able to save a one of them. The were innocent victims once by being exposed to the kryptonite. They need help and saving as much as those never exposed.

OMG, Martian Manhunter made DETECTIVE of the police force? That was so absurd that even Clark had to point it out. Which as long as the show winks at its own hideous plot manipulation I'm going to go lenient on it.

Jimmy is definitely a weak link for me. He's always been attached to Chloe's character. I think the show should put him with Clark or Lois. They are the ones that are supposed to all work together later. Lets see the beginnings of why they are supposed to get along and be friends without Chloe being the hub.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
      Clark crossed a big line for me when he stole that list of names. His justification that it did end up being one of those kids also grated me. Such tactics just set up persecution and hate and really never give those meteor freaks a chance to become anything other than what they are perceived to be by outsiders. Clark prides himself on saving the innocent. I loved how Chloe turned the view around by saying that of all the meteor freaks she had identified she hadn't been able to save a one of them. The were innocent victims once by being exposed to the kryptonite. They need help and saving as much as those never exposed.
      I agree on all points. Clark this episode just pissed me off, I think the writers have failed at writing him (yet rock at everyone else) He is very arrogent and selfish in his action yet he always turns out to be right so it just makes him a bit more pompous... It is like he can do no wrong and it makes me just dislike him more and more... Hopefully Chloe can help get him back on track.

OMG, Martian Manhunter made DETECTIVE of the police force? That was so absurd that even Clark had to point it out. Which as long as the show winks at its own hideous plot manipulation I'm going to go lenient on it.
      I totally forgot about Jonn! Uhh... I dunno about him. I guess it is good to have someone on the force... He did bring up a good point that both Line and I noticed last week: Clark using his powers in public. He just races off, I mean SOMEONE will be watching him. Line pointed out that is attractive and that SOMEONE will be checking him out so him just speeding off... I am surprised it hasn't happend yet cause he does in the open. So HOPEFULY he will get a costume soon or a pair of glasses? I dunno...

Comment

It doesn't really take much to counterfeit...pretty much anything. With the right connections a detective "transferring" from out of town would hardly be noticed by anyone. Plus, being a detective has always been the Martian Manhunter's human cover. I went crazy with joy when he showed up.

As for Clark using his powers in public, the show has arrived at Superman through an inversion, so that it's going to be almost impossible to transition Clark into the costume in the traditional sense. The only reason why the Superman/Clark Kent cover worked in comics is because Clark showed up in Metropolis out of the blue, already in his dorky, glasses-wearing, farmboy persona, and that's all anybody ever knew. In the show, if Clark started wearing glasses and tripping over stuff, it would be suspicious as hell. After eight years of suspicious activities and mysterious behaviors and that darned hero/messiah complex, if Superman shows up in his traditional look, everybody that's ever met the guy is gonna be like, "That's Clark Kent!"

As for the episode: I loved it, as usual. Even without Lois it was a knockout. This Season is becoming my favorite since Season 4.
        Last edited by XavierZane; 29-10-08, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
          It doesn't really take much to counterfeit...pretty much anything. With the right connections a detective "transferring" from out of town would hardly be noticed by anyone. Plus, being a detective has always been the Martian Manhunter's human cover. I went crazy with joy when he showed up.
          When you say "always" are you referring to the comic and mythos not SV itself? Because I don't recall anything on SV talking about him being involved in any police force. I easily admit I'm in the dark regarding most Superman legend. (And often fuzzy with SV.)

As for Clark using his powers in public, the show has arrived at Superman through an inversion, so that it's going to be almost impossible to transition Clark into the costume in the traditional sense. The only reason why the Superman/Clark Kent cover worked in comics is because Clark showed up in Metropolis out of the blue, already in his dorky, glasses-wearing, farmboy persona, and that's all anybody ever knew. In the show, if Clark started wearing glasses and tripping over stuff, it would be suspicious as hell. After eight years of suspicious activities and mysterious behaviors and that darned hero/messiah complex, if Superman shows up in his traditional look, everybody that's ever met the guy is gonna be like, "That's Clark Kent!"
          Very true! It was nice how the show (particularly S1) was about him being awkward, shy, and clumsy and then transitioning him into a capable hero. But without a disguise, it's hard for the show to continue to keep Lois from discovering Clark's true strengths. So I would expect the show to deal with reveal sometime this season. I think it was nice that last week we got to see that Lois has fallen in love with Clark, not simply the heroic symbol of Superman. I am interested in seeing what, if anything, leads to Clark realizing he has feelings for Lois.

As for the episode: I loved it, as usual. Even without Lois it was a knockout. This Season is becoming my favorite since Season 4.
          Season 4 is my favorite too because the episodes and arc were strong throughout. Though I think in recent years, SV does have a trend of having strong promising episodes at the first of the year and then the arc fizzles out. I truly hope this season holds strong.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
            When you say "always" are you referring to the comic and mythos not SV itself? Because I don't recall anything on SV talking about him being involved in any police force. I easily admit I'm in the dark regarding most Superman legend. (And often fuzzy with SV.)
            I meant in comics. They don't talk about it often - Martian Manhunter is usually just in JLA books as kinda of a yoda character/member emeritus (he's the only person who has ever been on all the incarnations of the JLA) - but usually whenever he's in his human form he's posing as Detective John Jones.

Very true! It was nice how the show (particularly S1) was about him being awkward, shy, and clumsy and then transitioning him into a capable hero. But without a disguise, it's hard for the show to continue to keep Lois from discovering Clark's true strengths. So I would expect the show to deal with reveal sometime this season. I think it was nice that last week we got to see that Lois has fallen in love with Clark, not simply the heroic symbol of Superman. I am interested in seeing what, if anything, leads to Clark realizing he has feelings for Lois.
            It's ironic how a show that was supposed to fill in the gaps of the Superman legend and complement it has become this radically different mythos of it's own. I think the perfect end to the series would be severing it's ties to the traditional superman legend entirely: have Lois be in love with only Clark (have her find out about Clark's powers and be a little turned off by the superhero thing) and have Superman debut in a mask.

Season 4 is my favorite too because the episodes and arc were strong throughout. Though I think in recent years, SV does have a trend of having strong promising episodes at the first of the year and then the arc fizzles out. I truly hope this season holds strong.
            Me too. I think it will. It's got the energy and drive of a first season, which I think will carry on throughout. My only worry is...is this the last season? I haven't been able to find out for certain...and I haven't been able to decide which option would be better.

Comment

Working...
            X