Episode 8x04 - "Instinct"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 8x04 - "Instinct"

Well it looks like Smallville is hitting the comics. This is the second new comic character this season. I don't know what to say about Maxima... I liked the actress, and I liked the story line... But it just felt too short. Much like last week, that storyline just was way to rushed and we didn't get enough of Maxima to truly understand her.

I would have LOVED a scene of her on her homeplanet getting the becon and just to see where she is coming from. Just maybe a little more of her, just to get to know something more. She was way to 1-demensional and I felt it didn't do justice to the comic character who (from what I've read/seen in comics) has a few levels and has been one of Superman's greatest allies and one of his worst enemies. So hopefully she will pop-up in one more episode a bit more redeemed and on the side of good. That is kinda what Maxima is known for in the comics her constant alliance change due to her mood - which makes her such an interesting character.
    Line! Didn't she remind you of Starfire from the comics when she showed up in the get-up?

She did have some great interaction with the characters. It amused me that even Tess seemed a bit mesmorized by her and the interaction between the two was great. Which just goes to show that Tess has become one of the greatest additions to the Superman universe since Chloe! She is just so damn interesting and has so many layers that everything she does just makes me go "aww!!" I really enjoyed her confronting Chloe (god was Chloe just not badass?) I love that Chloe isn't afraid of her and is finally standing up for herself (I guess she figures she could take Tess in a fight)

The Clark/Chloe stuff was a bit heart breaking. There is so much between the two that knowing it is finally over... Oh and what is this Clark giving her away at her wedding? Umm... Talk about a kick in the shin to her father! I would be pretty pissed off if I was Mr Sullivan! Geez!

Okay, anyways. Lois and Clark! My heart just sunk when Lois saw him and Maxima making out in the elevator. Lois was just so torn and I have not seen so much emotion on her, and I was just like "I wanna hold you!" I think this season will be great for the two of them. The scene in the barn was so sweet and I really wanted them to live together again (season 4 has some GREAT scenes with the two living together!) Lois is just so wickedly cool and there is just so much potential for the two!

Her confrontation with Maxima was so cool and I love tough-ass Lois. She is just so kickass and I am glad we have gotten so much of her (and word is more then 13 episodes this season!)

Now I did have 2 major issues with this episode.

1) The special effects were a tad cheap. They just seemed a bit corny, like the speed/slow motion just looked really really cheap! And really not the best we've seen. Most of the effects that looked cheaped where with Maxima's effects and that makes me afraid that the speacial effects for the Legion of Superheroes will also be kinda cheesy... And yes they are already kinda cheesy, but I can just picture some of the effects. So I hope they are just saving some money and really gunna kick up the budget when that episode comes up (and the Kara episode).

2) Jimmy... I liked the character but now he is just on my nerves. DAMN IT MAN! SHE SAID YES!!! She loved Clark at one time, but they are just friends so stop freaking out! Clark will always be there so get damn use to it... Stop being the jelouse guy and just realize that Chloe LOVES you and wants to marry you.

I want more Jimmy/Lois stuff. Currently it is ALOT more interesting then Jimmy/Chloe stuff... Which is upsetting cause sseason 6 and 7 had some GREAT Jimmy/Chloe scenes but they are just not working in season 8...

Now the last scene... Is that message from Lex or are they gunna introduce the character of Red X? (which I find very unlikely... But would be a pretty cool twist!)
    Last edited by DigitalLeonardo; 10-10-08, 06:18 AM.

This episode was great. Loved the Clark/Lois stuff. Loved the Clark/Tess stuff. Maxima was awesome, and very hot. Tess is shooting up my Favorite Characters list. Lois is awesome, as usual. Clark is great, but it occurred to me while I was watching how much time he spends looking befuddled. After that I started busting up laughing every time befuddlement crossed his face. So I was giggling to myself most of the episode.

This episode made me really want a Red Kryptonite episode. There's nothing more awesome than a Red!Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post

She did have some great interaction with the characters. It amused me that even Tess seemed a bit mesmorized by her and the interaction between the two was great. Which just goes to show that Tess has become one of the greatest additions to the Superman universe since Chloe! She is just so damn interesting and has so many layers that everything she does just makes me go "aww!!" I really enjoyed her confronting Chloe (god was Chloe just not badass?) I love that Chloe isn't afraid of her and is finally standing up for herself (I guess she figures she could take Tess in a fight)
      Dude, I am totally loving Tess, and usually I hate new female characters that are thrown in to an all ready complete cast, but she is just freakin' awesome. I love the similarites and differences between her and Lex. She has the same 'tough talk' as Lex, and tries to intimidate in the same manner, but she's a lot more honest in her answers, and she's alot more feeling and less ruthless. Damn, so many complex layers! I love her!

The Clark/Chloe stuff was a bit heart breaking. There is so much between the two that knowing it is finally over...
      I KNOW! I'm so glad he finally got to read her letter! That has been such unfinished business since that episode, and it was so wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time to see that Chloe seems to really mean what she said to him in this episode about moving past him. Though, next week's episode may change that tune abit (spoilers for next week):
      Spoiler:

Smallville
      Committed (New) 8:00 PM, 1 hr
      Thu 10/16/2008
      WPCW 19
      Drama/Other
      TVPG, English, 2008

Chloe is forced to reveal her true feelings for Clark when she and Jimmy are kidnapped from their engagement party by a psychotic jeweler who subjects them to a kryptonite-enhanced lie detector test; Clark and Lois pose as a couple.

So either A:
      Spoiler:
      Chloe will reveal that she still loves Clark and it will be over with Jimmy
      or B:
      Spoiler:
      Chloe truly *is* over Clark, and we will have an end to the constant Jimmy insecurity once and for all.

Oh and what is this Clark giving her away at her wedding? Umm... Talk about a kick in the shin to her father! I would be pretty pissed off if I was Mr Sullivan! Geez!
      Wait? I thought her dad died? I don't know - so many people have died.... I could be wrong.

Okay, anyways. Lois and Clark!
      SQUEE! I KNOW! I have been slowly sinking into shipper mode for these two, but this episode just totally put me over the edge! I think it's Lois's new hairdo....she just totally personifies now my image of Lois Lane, and well, Tom is the most gorgeous Clark ever, so

My heart just sunk when Lois saw him and Maxima making out in the elevator. Lois was just so torn and I have not seen so much emotion on her, and I was just like "I wanna hold you!"
      OMG, I KNOW! She looked so hurt. She was totally referring to herself in the 'Wild Cherry' reference, even if she wasn't even consciously aware of it. But I think Maxima helped Lois finally have her lightbulb moment when it comes to her realization of her deepening feelings for Clark.

The scene in the barn was so sweet
      The barn scene was so deep on so many levels! First, Clark is totally clueless. The dialogue about him being clueless as to his soul-mate? Lois's eyes in that scene at that moment were so telling, he'd have to be blind not to see her feelings there, even if she's still denying them. I love the hint of tears...what a great performance there. I also love how at the beginning of the episode she was basically hinting that she wanted to move back in, but I think now that she realizes that they're developing a 'bond' to use Maxima's words, she turned him down. Good for her....

Now the last scene... Is that message from Lex or are they gunna introduce the character of Red X? (which I find very unlikely... But would be a pretty cool twist!)
      Well, I've never heard of Red X, so I didn't squee over that. I did jump out of my seat and yell LEX IS ALIVE!!! So yeah, I hope it's Lex.

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
      Clark is great, but it occurred to me while I was watching how much time he spends looking befuddled. After that I started busting up laughing every time befuddlement crossed his face. So I was giggling to myself most of the episode.
      holy crap, I just spit rootbeer on my computer screen...he DOES always look befuddled (awesome word-usage, but the way ) Now *I'm* going to be cracking up in every episode, because I can't miss it now!

This episode made me really want a Red Kryptonite episode. There's nothing more awesome than a Red!Clark.
      Damn skippy. I thought the same thing. Red!Clark is hotter than hell!

Have I mentioned I wanna have Tom Welling's babies?

Yeah, overall I loved this episode way more than I thought I would from the episode description. This season is totally kicking ass so far!
      sigpic

Comment

Haha! Yes, a red-kryptonite episode would be so great! I can just imagine the Clois scenes

I really loved all the Lois/Clark scenes in this episode. As you've all mentioned above, the feelings and the *tension*. It was just pure awesomeness!!! And I almost cried when Lois said no to living with Clarkie again Seriously... Though, in my pretty little head, she said no because she'd be afraid of what would happen or what she'd accidentally do^^ Ah, glorious season 4 flashbacks of shower scenes...

Jimmy! He's annoying as hell!!! Though I get where he's coming from - Chloe is still very attached to Clark and I suspect she's getting a small crush on Davies as well. So I can understand him. Still, that is not an excuse for being annoying! Gah!

Now, me, I don't like Tess. Though, honestly, I think it's because I see her standing in the way of some real Clois action I do like the Tess/Oliver arch from the last episode (that was mildly surprising!) but I don't like how Clark instinctively trusts every woman - hasn't he read Genisis? (That was a joke, by the way...). Thank god for Chloe Loved how she dissed Tess when she asked her to hack the crystal for her

So far though, this is the best season of Smallville! I'm barely holding up until the next episode comes long!

Comment

Originally posted by Signe View Post
          Haha! Yes, a red-kryptonite episode would be so great! I can just imagine the Clois scenes
          Yes, after "Crimson" I would so be up for some more redClark with Lois. That was just so amusing, she even made him a mix tape! Aww... That is true love right there... Mixtapes and boob tats!

Jimmy! He's annoying as hell!!! Though I get where he's coming from - Chloe is still very attached to Clark and I suspect she's getting a small crush on Davies as well. So I can understand him. Still, that is not an excuse for being annoying! Gah!
          See I would be sympothetic for Jimmy if the writers would just drop this storyline... It has been explored almost since Jimmy's debut and it is becoming so overused and just not well written. We arn't getting any new aspects to it - just Jimmy being jelous that Clark is tall-dark and bumpy!

Yes that love letter was kind of a kicker, but I don't think Jimmy would be as anal about it had it been the other way around...

Comment

Working...
          X