2.05 - "Goodbye to All That"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.05 - "Goodbye to All That"

Before I start on how awsome this episode was (and yeah, another highlight of the series!) I just wanna point out that Billy Unger (who played the kid Marty) was just amazing in this episode. For such a young kid he really just brought SOOO MUCH and I hope he returns.

Now to this episode.

Derek/John: It was really great too see more Derek. I guess all you fan girls are happy I love that we got more of these flashforwards, cause they are very interesting and really just bring alot more to the character. When we first met him he was just kind of a jerk, but now he is a broken man just trying to live in a world that he know will crumble around him. It is tough, but he is trying.

The military camp was a good idea, and Martin Bedell was an interesting character. I am really enjoying these characters who will aid John in the future. They all have been really interesting and I really would like Martin to pop up again this season, cause he was another good actor. T:SCC has picked some really outstanding guest actors and I would love a few of them to be more then just one shots.

Sarah/Marty/Cameron: This was pretty cool with Marty. He was just such a nice fresh breath of air. I loved his interaction with Sarah and I amused by Cameron. I loved when she picked him up and then asked "Do you want a bedtime story?"

My favorite part of the episode was when Marty and Sarah were reading passages from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz over the images of the Terminator attacking. It just had such a great impact on the scene, and the kids voice was so chilling. Its weird to see how much the Terminator related so much to The Wizard of Oz. Also, I dunno if anyone noticed but Marty was wearing a blue/white checkered shirt very similar to the dress Dorthy wears in the book/movie. I thought that was such a great touch and really shows how much detail goes into this show.

The tender moment between Sarah and Marty was pretty heart breaking. She was never able to be so gental with John, and I feel bad for her. I also love the comment from Marty about her doing a bad job as a mother - cause it is so true. I hope this will start some changes and she will finally be able see him as her son and not this future solider.

Cameron was pretty absent this episode. She did have a few good lines. Like about the Terminator being able to put his head back on also watching Derek and John kill the Terminator. It was just weird, cause you couldn't tell who she was rooting for...

Weaver/Ellison: It is great to see Ellison flirt with the dark side (even if he doesn't know he is doing so). His hunt is great and I think it is becoming ALOT more interesting then the last few episodes.

Weaver. Holy Geeze! What did she do that guy!! That was just so intesnse... I was freaking out... I was grossed out... But just so in love with her at that moment! She is just so dark, yet such a good liar... Casting her was perfect! Just an amazing ability to turn it on and off. I can't wait too see more and just see what her true intentions turn out too be.

All in all, a very well written episode. I really like how there is so much more going on and that all these strings and storylines will just mesh in the end and it will be CRAZY!

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
    Derek/John: It was really great too see more Derek. I guess all you fan girls are happy I love that we got more of these flashforwards, cause they are very interesting and really just bring alot more to the character. When we first met him he was just kind of a jerk, but now he is a broken man just trying to live in a world that he know will crumble around him. It is tough, but he is trying.
    I suppose it depends on your perspective, see, because I never thought Derek was just a jerk. He can be a jerk at times, obviously - but never just a jerk. Right from the very start he has been like the walking, talking poster child for post traumatic stress, and his past has informed everything about him ever since he arrived, from the way he interacts with the people around him to the way he reacts to the world he now finds himself living in. And one of the things I really appreciated in this episode was the fact that this was overtly acknowledged for almost the first time, with John talking to Bedell about Derek's past as the reason he is so intense, the reason it can be so hard to talk to him. And I loved that when Derek told John that story about the deer, when he and Kyle were children, and remembered how young Kyle was at the time, John pointed out that Derek was also too young for what he had to go through. He witnessed the apocalypse as a teenager and spent the next, what - 15/20 years fighting for his life, for the lives of every human left. Of course the experience has scarred him deeply.

I really enjoyed this episode. Although I did wonder how John managed to find three Martin Bedell's in the phone directory, when it turned out that two out of the three were a teenager and a child, and therefore highly unlikely to be listed...

Comment

Originally posted by Llywela View Post
      I suppose it depends on your perspective, see, because I never thought Derek was just a jerk. He can be a jerk at times, obviously - but never just a jerk. Right from the very start he has been like the walking, talking poster child for post traumatic stress, and his past has informed everything about him ever since he arrived, from the way he interacts with the people around him to the way he reacts to the world he now finds himself living in. And one of the things I really appreciated in this episode was the fact that this was overtly acknowledged for almost the first time, with John talking to Bedell about Derek's past as the reason he is so intense, the reason it can be so hard to talk to him. And I loved that when Derek told John that story about the deer, when he and Kyle were children, and remembered how young Kyle was at the time, John pointed out that Derek was also too young for what he had to go through. He witnessed the apocalypse as a teenager and spent the next, what - 15/20 years fighting for his life, for the lives of every human left. Of course the experience has scarred him deeply.

I really enjoyed this episode. Although I did wonder how John managed to find three Martin Bedell's in the phone directory, when it turned out that two out of the three were a teenager and a child, and therefore highly unlikely to be listed...
      Maybe I jumped the gun a bit on calling him a Jerk. But I have never really LOVED the character and although I think he is interesting and very well cast - i have never truly been "DEREK! DEREK! DEREK!"

You bring up a good point about the phone book. It didn't hit me until you said it! Unless that kid had a cellphone... which he most likely did, but I doubt his parents got him listed, cause... yeah.

Also I forgot to mention I loved that little recall to the first Terminator movie.

"How many Sarah Connor's died before he found you?"

It is great to get these little gems and just a nice little kick to hardcore fans of the films and the series. I remember Sarah felt very quilty about that in the first film that two other woman (well... 3 if you count her friend... 4 if you count her friend's boyfriend...) died before the T-100 found the real Sarah.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
        It is great to get these little gems and just a nice little kick to hardcore fans of the films and the series. I remember Sarah felt very quilty about that in the first film that two other woman (well... 3 if you count her friend... 4 if you count her friend's boyfriend...) died before the T-100 found the real Sarah.
        Yeah, and now that I've gone back and watched the first two films, I can actually pick up on details like that with full understanding. Many more people than just the two Sarah Connors died in that first film, of course, in the course of the Terminator's search for Sarah. But Derek's question was specifically about other Sarah Connors, so she limited her answer to that alone.

Also...I really appreciate the gesture Sarah made, giving young Marty her contact details in case he ever needs help. But it was a tremendous risk, especially given that she just effectively kidnapped the boy. Just have to hope he has the sense to keep the number in a very safe place, and that no one ever finds it - very easy to leave that bit of paper tucked away in his pocket for his mother to find while sorting laundry, for example.

Comment

This was some really great stuff. One of the major problems of the show was the pacing. The flash forwards didn’t flow well with the rest of the episode, and the scene transitions were choppy at best. The past two weeks, however, this has been, apparently, fixed. I really think the show has found its “voice” and is going to start not only telling stories with potential to be good but just overall good stories—if that makes sense.

Reese. I never those of Reese as a jerk. I just thought of him as HARD. He is a hard man who has been through a lot and doesn’t like to fall into pleasantries. This came through in this episode, but we also saw that he is very much a caring human being.

John. He was, for the first time, a truly wonderful and important part of the progression of the story. No whining. He has learned to accept his fate. The scene with him and Reese sitting around talking about having a choice in the matter made me fear that he was going to fall back into old trends, but then he admitted that he wasn’t that stupid. He knew how things had to be, and I thought that was very mature.

Sarah. Considering the greatness, mystery, and action of the rest of the episode, it’s amazing that these small, “Sarah as a mom” scenes were so powerful. Anyone that doubted Lena as an actress before this episode has no more need to doubt. I also loved the Wizard of Oz voice over during the final battle with the triple eight.

Cameron. What’s here deal? Why didn’t she help Reese and John? She may have just gotten there too late, but that’s not what it looked like to me. It looked like she was watching it all go down and refusing to intervene, as if she were spying. And she obviously didn’t reveal herself to them at all because she most definitely was not in the truck on the way home.

Ellison & Weaver. I’m not sure where this is going. It’s a slow boil and I don’t know what to think about it. Only time will tell, I think.

Also. Limited commercial interruptions = awesome.
          "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Comment

huh, I guess I'm the only one who found this episode a bit boring. It was slow at the start and didn't seem to move along very quickly. I did like the end of the eppy, killing the terminator and Derek and John's talk in the car. But I found some of the other aspects of the show kind of silly, like the Wizard of Oz analogy and the fact that they kidnapped that kid, only to return him with a phone number! Please, can you say lead the feds right to me!?

I do think BAG turned in a great performance, though...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
              huh, I guess I'm the only one who found this episode a bit boring.
              No, you aren't alone. I was bored too. I only have payed attention to it as it didn't really keep me enthralled. I can't put my finger on it but something really made this ep drag. I think the longer running time might have actually hurt it a bit. Normally longer running times don't have that effect on me but it did here. It just felt slooooow.
              sigpic
              follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                No, you aren't alone. I was bored too. I only have payed attention to it as it didn't really keep me enthralled. I can't put my finger on it but something really made this ep drag. I think the longer running time might have actually hurt it a bit. Normally longer running times don't have that effect on me but it did here. It just felt slooooow.
                see, I didn't even realize that there was a longer running time....I always watch the ep on fox's website. How much longer was it?

But you're right, it did drag on...I thought it was just me because I was getting over the stomach flu and had a rough time paying attention. Glad to know I'm not the only one....
                sigpic

Comment

It ran ten minutes longer. It was about 51 minutes long. It had a special sponsorship by the Dodge Ram this week.

Fringe has been doing limited commercials as well and it's been running longer than most hour long dramas as well.
                  sigpic
                  follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                    It ran ten minutes longer. It was about 51 minutes long. It had a special sponsorship by the Dodge Ram this week.

Fringe has been doing limited commercials as well and it's been running longer than most hour long dramas as well.
                    Really? I never noticed that about Fringe. I don't get fox at home, so the website's my route. But usually they haven't even had any commercial interruptions with Fringe just one at the beginning and end, which is nice. I love Fox's player, it's the best of all of the networks, with abc's coming in second (though you have to hit play after each commercial break which is a pain in the ass to this remote-addicted chick... )

NBC's is barely watch-able, and I've never had any reason to try CBS because 99% of their programming does not appeal to me.
                    sigpic

Comment

ugh, I've only ever tried the abc online player and it always stalls on me. So I just don't try anymore.

Yeah, I guess (I read) that Fox is trying out this limited commercial time thing (mostly with Fringe) because DVR viewing is becoming so popular and ubiquitous. They figure of the commercials are shorter than people are less likely to fastforward though them.. And it works for me! I don't bother FF 'cause they go buy so quick! The idea is that there are less commercials but advertisers pay more for those slots. So the network doesn't lose money.

Seim O/T. But I think they should try this more with SCC 'cause they really need all the viewers they can get.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just a sidenote, they will be doing this with Dollhouse too!

I think why people find this episode (And the last few) a bit slow is just how they are doing this season with an arc. Season 1 felt very speratic and almost no control with LOTS of action every episode and just that chase every episode, where now they are trying to structure a story arc with Weaver and Ellison, while trying to keep the story still lifting and action WHILE still trying to answer more questions about Derek and the future.

It is alot to juggle and think by the next few episodes they will find their stride, cause if they don't... well lets just hope the season finale works a series finale

Comment

Personally, I enjoyed this week's episode a lot and did not once think it was boring or slow. But then again I'm a Derek fangirl so I always like getting more insight into and exploration of his character and getting some backstory (or rather flashforwards).

This episode made me cry twice, that's how powerful it was to me. The first time was when Derek told John the deer story. So much was conveyed in that little story, everything that Derek has been through, everything that he has lost (including, as John pointed out, his youth and his ability to be just a kid). Derek is a hard, broken man due to everything that has happened to him but he still manages to care, he still got a very human and vulnerable side to him and I just love that! The second time I cried was near the end when Derek told John what had happened to Martin Bedell and that they all died for John. Brian Austin Green really knocked all his scenes out of the park and made me wonder why I ever doubted him as an actor. He brings such an intensity, edginess but also vulnerability to the character, it's a joy to watch.

The Sarah and Marty scenes were less intense and action-heavy but also quite gripping in their own right. I agree with Travis, I think the kid who played Marty did a great job. I loved how Marty was able to bring out the mom in Sarah, how she began to care about him more and more. I also liked that Marty told her that she did a bad job as a mother. Of course Marty is not far off, amidst trying to protect John all the time, Sarah sometimes forgets that a child needs more from his mother than that. Cameron mystified me in this episode. Are we supposed to believe that she really is bad now, is that the reason for her being so inactive and barely lifting a finger in this week's episode? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

So overall, this was a very touching and emotional episode for me and I enjoyed it just as much as last week's.

Comment

It's funny how there's the group that complain it's all explosions, car chases and Cameron fighting another Terminator, and no story. Then others complain the story moves too slowly, and there's not enough action. I sometimes wonder if they're watching the same show as me. Maybe the answer is a five minute speed read of each weeks script by alternating actors, followed by five minutes of explosions, etc. The rest of the time slot can be filled with those money making commercials (or just pics of Cameron). Ten minutes of tv per week should be enough for anyone.

Seriously, I enjoyed this episode as well as all previous episodes. It's just entertainment, and well done at that (except for Agent Ellison not being able to say nuclear). Hopefully Terminator gets a long run but being on Fox and not having Superbowl ratings makes that unlikely.

Comment

I don't like the "it's just entertainment" argument. How can something be JUST entertainment? If it’s JUST entertainment, why bother trying to find it? I like that there are people out there that expect quality from their entertainment (not televisions executives, of course). Too many people in this world think that just because something is on the screen (or on the page) that they should be entertained. Like escapism is a form of entertainment, which is something I do not agree with in the slightest. Sorry, but if I’m not using my mind in some way, I’m not entertained.

I realize that this doesn’t exactly pertain to this thread particularly because you, like me, enjoy this show, and I’m definitely not trying to start an argument, but it threw me off that you would say “it’s just entertainment” is all. Survivor is “just entertainment” in that it isn’t entertaining at all but for those people who are afraid of thinking.

I agree about Marty. Normally child actors are... not so much. But Marty did a good job.
                              "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by hawkedup View Post
                                I don't like the "it's just entertainment" argument. How can something be JUST entertainment? If it's JUST entertainment, why bother trying to find it? I like that there are people out there that expect quality from their entertainment (not televisions executives, of course). Too many people in this world think that just because something is on the screen (or on the page) that they should be entertained. Like escapism is a form of entertainment, which is something I do not agree with in the slightest. Sorry, but if I'm not using my mind in some way, I'm not entertained.
                                This isn't meant to start a fight, but I just wanted to comment on this.

I do agree that this isn't just entertainment, but also people can't take these things so serious that it drives their every day lives. There should be a balance between the two so that you can appriciate quality, but you are not picking at every single flaw.

T:SCC I am surprised that there isn't as many issues as their could have been. They are able to hide errors and do cheaper looking stunts but make them look multi-million with the right camera angle.

Comment

I personally can't wait for this weeks episode! I hope it's as good as the last two.

Comment

Working...
                                  X