Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanctuary

I know it's a longshot, but is there anybody out there that saw the Sanctuary premier tonight on SciFi? I'd very much like to talk about it.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Talk away! I just finished watching this on ITV in the UK. I'd love to hear another viewer's thoughts on it.

I thought it was distinctly average. All I knew coming in was that it was a sci-fi show starring Amanda Tapping, so I had no idea of the premise beforehand. I thought that the episode was very light on actual content. We didn't get much in the way of details on the show's mythology, nor did we get in-depth insight into any of the characters. I've seen plenty of shows that tried to squeeze far too much exposition into the pilot episode, but I believe this is the first I've ever felt the need to criticise for not having enough. I didn't feel like I got a good handle on the premise at all.

That being said, what little information was given to us was certainly intriguing. I definitely think the show has potential. I liked the main character being a profiler rather than a standard cop, and the comparison Dr. Magnus between criminals and the creatures in the Sanctuary. I liked that both the main characters seem to have quite passive roles. While there is a supporting action-oriented/fighter character about, it seems as though the show's focus is going to be less of a standard hunt-and-kill the Monster of the Week (or in this show's case, hunt-and-capture), but rather about what happens after the capture. If that's the case, I'm interested. That's a different approach than most sci-fi shows take.

The writing was very uninspired. Not terrible, but it was all very standard. No standout snappy dialogue to be seen. The only line that I thought was bad was the website references. A 'Google' reference (while overused) is okay, they can get away with that, but then referencing Monster.com a couple of lines later was a bit silly, and had me rolling my eyes a little.

On a shallow note, Amanda Tapping's hat was bothersome. I don't know why. Actually, her whole outfit for the first half of the episode was pretty awful. AT is a very attractive woman, why did they decide to dress her in such a school marm-ish manner? It looked like the costume belonged to a character twice AT's age. Her outfit once they got into the tunnel was much better.

Also, Dualla! (BSG fan spaz). Does anyone know if she's going to be a regular/recurrer, or was it just a guest spot?

So yeah, essentially, it wasn't anything spectacular, but I think it has potential and I'm interested enough to watch the next couple of episodes at least.

Comment

Working...
    X