House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House

Anybody want to discuss this (extremely) popular show? I wasn't really a fan until sometime last season. I dislike medical shows in general. But I used to look in on House at times when there was a special guest star or something like that. Like Michelle Trachtenberg appeared on the show a while back. Although many people don't like Dawn I've always thought MT was fine as an actress, on Buffy and elsewhere. On that particular episode they just made her character SO sick, it was painful to watch. After watching the show sporadically from Season 2 to Season 4, I finally got hooked and watched all of the Season 4 episodes starting in January.

It's still not clear to me how the show is integrating the characters from House's old team with those from his new one. It seems that the new doctors, Taub, 13, Cutner (if that's the spelling) are getting most of the screen time yet it's still the old ones that get shown in the credits.

I can really get into the stories, sometimes, but other times the behavior of Dr. House seems way too out of control. Like his occasional gross violations of medical ethics in the treatment of patients. Of course things generally turn out alright and he ends up having had the right diagnosis, but no one can be right 100% of the time. I often wonder what the medical community thinks of this show...

Spoiler:
    I also wonder how long they are going to continue the House-Wilson soap opera. Is Wilson ever going to return to the hospital or is Robert Sean Leonard going to leave the show at some point?

Oooh, House. I am so obssessed with this show (and Hugh Laurie). The breakdown of the House/Wilson relationship was devastating, but I'm loving his new buddy drama (and competition over Cuddy) with the PI. Stroke of genius.

The lack of the old team is a bit weird, they're kind of half in it and half not. I'd like to see them have some proper storylines.

Like the new team a lot though (slightly less hot on Huntingdons), but I miss Cut Throat Bitch so badly. RIP, CTB!

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Oh yes Amber. Cutthroat competitive, pushy, ambitious, and manipulative, she didn't make many friends at the hospital. Honestly, she reminded me a bit of Kennedy in S7 of BtVS. She didn't have a big following among the Buffy fandom. I for one am not a Kennedy hater. I actually admired her for the way she went about getting what she wanted. I may not have loved her either but I thought that she was the most interesting and well-developed of the potentials.

Similarly, I thought that Amber was an extremely interesting character, although through Season 4 of House I wasn't sure how much I liked her. House himself obviously had very complicated feelings about her, an intricate intertwining of respect and contempt. In the end he didn't hire her, but I remember that episode last season when he stopped his own heart with an electric shock, and of everyone he could have paged to revive him, he paged her.

And it was SOOO sad in the Season 4 finale when the staff revived her so that they could say goodbye. Of course the scene between her and Wilson was heartbreaking, but I also loved the sequence of shorts they had from her view lying in bed of her colleagues saying farewell. Really, maybe 13 had feelings toward Amber that she didn't realize she had?

Comment

I think House is beyond slave morality (as nietzche would put it) and sees the action not for itself but what it brings. If he has to do something unethical to ultimately to do something good than he sees the good, not the inbetween part where some would say he's a bad or dangerous person. Then he saves the person and they shut up.

I love House =].

Comment

House is ridiculously good! Hugh Laurie is sooo amazing as an actor! I really can't imagine anyone else taking on the role. He is just perfect. Every single facial expression, nuance of tone, he just nails the part. In the bloopers on the S2 DVDs, when he forgot a line, he even cracked up and restarted in a House-like manner, still using an American accent, still looking House-like.

I love the complete mix of intellectual medical genius he possesses, along with his childlike behaviour - e.g. being jealous when he thinks Wilson is dating a nurse, or CTB, insulting people. He treads a fine line between arrogance and tortured genius, and I love how he sways between both throughout the series. The third episode of S5 is heartbreaking. Poor House! I really liked the Tritter arc, it was interesting to see House both shy away and have to deal with real life (plus, it was a long time coming for the audience - would a hospital really let House get away with the things he does?!) I like how antagonistic he can be - to his team, to his patients, keeping score on his noticeboard of House vs God. Plus all those little moments where we see him play guitar or piano, not only are they really cool, but they are perfectly in keeping with his character - he is very intelligent, but really only interested in things that ... well, interest him - and he has a conflict of needing people, e.g. Cuddy to keep him in check, Wilson for friendship, a team to bounce ideas off, but also being alone, hence his fondness for languages and for music, things that require great solitary effort.

The other characters from his team REALLY don't interest me, old team or new. My investment in them is *cruel streak emerges* to watch House belittle them. I'm far more interested in his relationships with Wilson and Cuddy. Though the PI is certainly an interesting character. He seems to get on with House as both are meticulous (obssessive?) about details. Plus, the PI's romancing of Cuddy is very sweet. I love how frank he was with her, in that his interest in her is because of her intelligence. She is hot (and by hot, I mean HOT!) but her intellect and her quick-wittedness are far more attractive qualities than her looks, and it was nice to see that acknowledged on screen.

My last comment on House: today, our seminar tutor was talking about Socractic Dialogues, and there were a few who didn't get it, so there was much discussion about what constituted one, and after much infuriating back-and-forth-ing, I just said 'Anyone watch House? It's how they diagnose patients.' And there was much 'Aah!-ing' and all was made clear. House should be used as an example for everything.

Comment

I like how antagonistic he can be - to his team, to his patients, keeping score on his noticeboard of House vs God.
            Wait, I thought it was Chase keeping score? I must rewatch that one. Incidentally, I developed a strong hatred of Chase after that episode where he was being cruel about the fat girl. He needs a good being killed sometimes (as Giles described Maggie's just deserts).

Plus all those little moments where we see him play guitar or piano, not only are they really cool
            I don't usually fancy boys who play guitars, but when House does it?oh boy yes. Though piano's even better. I always loved it when HL played piano on Jeeves and Wooster and A Bit of Fry and Laurie, so nice for him to keep airing his talents here.

House should be used as an example for everything.
            Except, possibly, how to conduct romantic relationships.

Comment

Episode 5.04 - Birthmarks

Spoiler:
              Well I didn't think Robert Sean Leonard was leaving the show. This episode was an appropriately offbeat way for House and Wilson to "reconcile", if that's the right word! The scene of the two of them in the police station was very funny.

I actually can buy Cuddy knocking out House to get him into Wilson's car to take him to the funeral. But it seemed to me that Wilson wasn't being entirely truthful when he told House that he didn't care when House woke up. He obviously cared about something somehow enough to go through the effort to get him to the funeral. But in this show's 'verse of twisted motives I can't say exactly what that was.

Wilson seems like a calm guy but he apparently has anger management issues which are unrelated to losing Amber.

I've never had an MRI myself but I've heard about the enormous magnetic fields that they use in this technique.

Comment

Oh, wow! Last night's new episode was really just fantastic! I loved every second.

Spoiler:
                It was hilarious, and the case was extremely good. I loved the Wilson/House roadtrip, and House's speech at his father's funeral was just soooo good. This was a perfect way to end House and Wilson's separation. Not much more to say, except...uh...perfection.

Comment

Episode 5.05 - Lucky Thirteen

Spoiler:
                  I wonder what it was that Foreman found in 13's apartment that he wouldn't show House. I couldn't believe that House would actually fire her just like that but this episode made me wonder if they are setting her up for an exit sometime in the not too distant future.

The stuff that Wilson puts up with from House gets ever more unbelievable. But that was a sweet twist they put on at the end about Cuddy. House didn't seem to know how to deal with it.

Comment

These past two eps have been...
                    Spoiler:
                    brilliant! I loved them both, and 13 is really growing on me now we're getting to see things from her point of view. I am so supremely glad that House and Wilson have patched it up. I like that Wilson acknowledge that he's stuck with House, and that he enjoys what he gives. I also like that they haven't tried to make House better in order to win Wilson back. He's still spying on him, only now Wilson's ok with making a game of it.

13's predicament is terrible, I really feel for her. Her ep made me feel rather twisted though, cos I was hoping the other girl was dying so they could be in the same boat and she could get support. If House wasn't a monster of a boss, he'd have had her in therapy by now. Or at least a support group.

One thing that was bugging me...I want to find out what happened with Taub's wife! I'm sure we will but I don't want to wait. Why DIDN'T she throw him out on his ear? What di she say when he told her?

I'm still feeling Chase and Cameron don't have proper roles. It feels weird having them there but not in any real, central way.

And Chase needs a haircut (though he does look almost hot).

Comment

Ahhhhh.....other House lovers! So who else thinks

Spoiler:
                      that House and Cuddy are going to get back together? And after that Cuddy will be pregnant with House maybe or maybe not the father? They could get more than 1 season of plot twists out of that!

For all the new viewers, House summed up himself in one line in Ep1, S1 - "Who told you I became a Dr. to help people? I became a Dr to fight disease." Period. (And, if I recall correctly, walked away.) I knew in that moment I was hooked!
                      sigpic

Comment

I dunno. I am pretty indifferent to 13. She does irk me a bit but I think that's due mostly to the fact that she gets a fair amount fo screen time and the characters I love so much more get pushed into the background. I want more of Wilson and more of the original Ducklings. (Which I hear we are going to get a pretty centric Chase and Cameron ep soon.) The ducklings have been so absent the past season and a half. And I guess they have to be, to accommodate the storyline with them all quitting and getting fired or changing positions. Whatever. Still, House carries the show, no doubt; but the other originals balance it in a really nice way and I miss them.

Anyway, I find it highly incredible that even in a situation where a doctor like House can pull all the strings and manipulate circumstances to his liking, that someone like 13 would still have her job. She's obviously unraveling and is dangerous and should not be caring for patients. At the very least, she needs to time off. But it's a tv show so...suspension of disbelief blah blah blah
                        sigpic
                        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

It's funny about Cameron and Chase. It's like the members of the old team are still the ones featured in the credits, while the new team members are the ones getting all the screen time.

I can understand why they brought in the new doctors. No matter how good the cast is a show tends to lose creative energy after a while if it's all the same people season after season. But I don't know if they can stay this way indefinitely with both the old and the new. It seems to me that there will be some significant departures at some point.

Who really are the core characters? Are they House, Wilson, and Cuddy? Honestly, I haven't been a regular fan of the show long enough to know.

Back to Episode 5.05,

Spoiler:
                          The GOGA with 13 and the patient made me think that television may have indeed changed over the years. Certainly not in every way, but with regard to showing that sort of stuff explicitly as if without even thinking about it (like JW had to threaten to quit if Willow and Tara couldn't kiss on screen? How long ago was that?)

And Episode 5.06 - Joy

Spoiler:
                          That beginning sequence in this episode with that guy and the clock jumping its hours felt like some kind of alternate reality situation, sort of like Twilight Zone. It also felt a bit reminiscent of the Buffy S6 episode "Life Serial".

All through the episode I was trying to fathom why House was acting the way he was toward Cuddy's pending adoption. That pool he set up about how long that business was going to run was incredibly crass. Why did he not want it to happen? Was he jealous? Somehow I can see him feeling a twisted jealousy toward her because it was all taking place without him.

Also Cuddy turning to him at the end in her grief was entirely credible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                            I dunno. I am pretty indifferent to 13. She does irk me a bit but I think that's due mostly to the fact that she gets a fair amount fo screen time and the characters I love so much more get pushed into the background. I want more of Wilson and more of the original Ducklings. (Which I hear we are going to get a pretty centric Chase and Cameron ep soon.) The ducklings have been so absent the past season and a half. And I guess they have to be, to accommodate the storyline with them all quitting and getting fired or changing positions. Whatever. Still, House carries the show, no doubt; but the other originals balance it in a really nice way and I miss them.

Anyway, I find it highly incredible that even in a situation where a doctor like House can pull all the strings and manipulate circumstances to his liking, that someone like 13 would still have her job. She's obviously unraveling and is dangerous and should not be caring for patients. At the very least, she needs to time off. But it's a tv show so...suspension of disbelief blah blah blah
                            Yippee - a Chase and Cameron ep! I also miss the original Ducklings (I refer to them as Cottages - little Houses....) any way, I wonder what is up with them being featured in the opening credits, but hardly any character time. I miss them too. No particular love for any of the new ones - one way or the other. 13 does tend to grind on my nerves a little more than the others, but mostly I'm just bored by them. Maybe it's the chemistry between the characters (or lack of), but I was always more interested in the originals than I ever have been in any of these new ones.

I suppose if you are a Vicodin addict that is perfectly capable of treating patients, your POV is slanted. But I so agree, Jenni, that 13 has no business caring for any patients - let alone patients as fragile and mysterious as the ones House gets! And it doesn't really add anything to the storylines, so why show it?
                            sigpic

Comment

Episode 5.07 - The Itch

Spoiler:
                              Not really too taken by this episode. The main story, about the guy who couldn't leave his house, wasn't all that interesting. But apparently there is a triangle going between House, Cuddy, and Wilson. Not a surprise, I guess, after what happened last week.

What did surprise me, although not too much, was having Cameron and Chase in the foreground of this story. I guess this was the Cameron-Chase-centric episode mentioned above. Cameron was the principal secondary doctor, which hasn't happened for a while. And her relationship with Chase was brought up in a major way. Which brings up the question again of just how the show going forward is going to use the larger number of characters they now have in the mix. I liked the exchange between 13 and Cameron during the telecon with House, 13 expressing her annoyance at House for wasting time asking Cameron questions about her personal life, Cameron telling her it saves time just to answer them. But I'm curious to see what kind of chemistry the two have one on one.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher1006 View Post
                                Episode 5.07 - The Itch

Spoiler:
                                I liked the exchange between 13 and Cameron during the telecon with House, 13 expressing her annoyance at House for wasting time asking Cameron questions about her personal life, Cameron telling her it saves time just to answer them.
                                That was great. And it's something Cameron leaned long ago. What's interesting is that most of the characters have found a way to deal with House. House gets his way most of the time and Cameron is one of those folks who has developed a way to not let him run her life and methods. It's also what basically led to her leaving her job under him.

But it was nice to see her and Chase have something to do. They've been little more than extras for a season and a half.
                                sigpic
                                follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                                  That was great. And it's something Cameron leaned long ago. What's interesting is that most of the characters have found a way to deal with House. House gets his way most of the time and Cameron is one of those folks who has developed a way to not let him run her life and methods. It's also what basically led to her leaving her job under him.

But it was nice to see her and Chase have something to do. They've been little more than extras for a season and a half.
                                  Hence me having less and less love for 13. And this ep seemed to be very true to the characters involved, from House all the way down.......I'm afraid I see
                                  Spoiler:
                                  House & Cuddy getting together or perhaps a triangle with Wilson (excessive alcohol involved, of course), Cuddy getting pregnant, then *never ending* suspense regarding the paternity of the baby. Otherwise, what is the point of the whole Cuddy & a baby plot line?
                                  sigpic

Comment

Dude, "Last Resort" was one of the best eps ever! I really enjoyed it. I even teared up a few times. It was intense and gripping and--hey!--Jossverse alum alert, Sarah Thompson (Eve) played one of the hostages.

Zeljko Ivanek turned in a great performance! Man, that guy is showing up all over the place! On House, recently on True Blood...he will be on Heroes soon and of course, he recently won an Emmy for Damages. That guy is great! It's good to see him around the tube.
                                    sigpic

Comment

OMG "Last Resort" is probably my favorite episode along with "Wilson's Heart". It was that good. Seriously.

I read a spoiler (stupid me!) that someone was going to die in this episode (of course it was wrong), so in the last fifteen minutes I was so nervous, shaking, cause I really didn't want Thirteen to die! It looked like she was going to, and I was screaming at my TV. And then that scene. Zejiko Ivanek pointing the gun at Thirteen's face, her about to put the syringe in her arm. And then she just screamed, "I don't want to die!". Best part of the eppy for me. That is Emmy material, dude!!!!!!

I also loved all the action, and the connection between House and Zejiko Ivanek's character. I totally did not expect House giving the gun back to him, but then I understand. As I went to commercial break, I began thinking about House's need to solve mystery, his need to understand. And how the gunman was exactly the same. That was extremely interesting. I loved it.

It had an extremely epic feel to it, but to me, it was definitely a character episode. One of the best in the whole series, tbh.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                        Frankly, my reaction when House gave the gun back was one of disbelief - like "this is too much!" I can understand the doctor in House wanting to find the right diagnosis, perhaps combined with the effect of "Stockholm Syndrome", but he was risking the lives of the other hostages as well as his own. He almost got 13 killed! I even wondered at the end of the episode if House was going to have to answer to the authorities regarding his actions.

This was 13's turn in the spotlight. When he let her out of the office to get stuff for him and she had her chance to escape you knew she wouldn't take it. But I also started to wonder if this episode was going to be her exit. It was horrifying to see her absorbing all those drugs and getting weaker and weaker.

I also took note of who stayed with House and who didn't. Chase wouldn't have anything to do with the diagnosis. Forman walked out before the end of it, though he regretted it later. Cameron and Taub hung on till the end. 13 of course had no choice. I wonder where her story will go from here now that she's finally let down her facade of fatalistic indifference to her condition. At least to Forman if not to House.

Comment

Working...
                                        X