Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Graysons" - Robin's Getting His Own Show

Originally posted by Variety
    Holy prequel, Boy Wonder, the CW is prepping a series based on Batman sidekick Robin’s pre-Caped Crusader days.

"Smallville" exec producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, as well as "Supernatural" exec producer McG, are behind "The Graysons," which has landed a put pilot commitment at the netlet.

Just as "Smallville" focused on Clark Kent in the years before he became Superman, "The Graysons" will follow the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before he takes on the iconic Robin identity and aligns himself with Batman.

Project reps the latest DC Comics franchise to be mined for the smallscreen by sibling Warner Bros. TV. McG’s Wonderland Sound and Vision label is also attached.

Souders, Peterson, McG and Wonderland’s Peter Johnson will exec produce.

"The Graysons" is seen as a potential replacement for "Smallville" should that show end its run this season, which has been speculated. Should "Smallville" return next year, "The Graysons" might also make a strong companion piece.

CW insiders said they also see the "Graysons" development as a validating gesture by Warner Bros. that the company is still behind its 50% investment in the netlet, particularly following this fall’s strong openings for "Gossip Girl" and newbie "90210." They believe the studio wouldn’t risk bringing one of its prized franchises to CW if it believed the net was in dire straits.

In the one-hour "Graysons," which will be set in modern times, young DJ will face challenges involving first loves, young rivals and his family as he grows up. Souders and Peterson have come up with an original take on the character.

In the original Batman mythology, Grayson was a young acrobat and part of the family act called "The Flying Graysons." He was orphaned when a gangster sabotaged his parents’ trapeze equipment. Bruce Wayne took him under his wing and trained him to help fight crime.

Grayson later morphed into the character of Nightwing, as part of "The New Teen Titans," and a series of new Robin replacements were introduced.

Souders and Peterson serve as showrunners (along with Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer) on "Smallville," which has just entered its eighth season. They’ve been with the hit drama since season two, and helped successfully transition the show following the departure of longtime toppers Miles Millar and Al Gough.

In features, Peterson wrote "But I’m a Cheerleader," while Souders was behind "Tell Me."

McG’s credits also include NBC’s "Chuck" and the upcoming feature "Terminator Salvation." "The Graysons" reps McG’s second DC Comics sale this year: Wonderland is also behind the Fox project "Human Target," which Jon Steinberg is writing.

CW predecessor the WB tackled the Batman mythology with 2002’s short-lived "Birds of Prey," which followed a group of female superheroes who flew in to protect Gotham after Batman disappeared.

Burt Ward, of course, played Dick Grayson/Robin in the campy 1965-68 TV series "Batman." And several animated versions of the Batman story have appeared on the smallscreen through the years, most recently KidsWB’s "The Batman."

Bob Kane created the DC Comics characters.
    I really don't know what they're thinking. Don't get me wrong, I think Dick could hold his own series, but not as his pre-Robin self. It sounds like a cheap teen drama using a well known character to get some extra viewers. I mean, a post-Robin series, I could totally learn to love, but this sounds ridicules, because it sounds like another teen drama, but starring a future superhero, but unlike "Smallville," it's not a superhero with powers. Dick was pretty much a normal person until his parent death. Plus, what is he going to be? 10? If the show goes on for 7, or even 5 seasons, he'd almost be an adult. So, what? Are they going to totally skip the Batman and Robin stuff?

A “Nightwing” series just makes so much more sense. It could be similar to “Batman Begins” in the sense that Bludhaven has been overrun by crime and corruption. Dick begins to find his place in the world, post-Robin. He decides to become a vigilante, similar to Batman. Superman tells him (or he remembers the story Superman told him) the legend of a Kryptonion hero simply known as Nightwing. Dick decides to take the name Nightwing, since their stories are so similar.

Nightwing begins patrolling the streets, which is when the name “Blockbuster” first comes up. Dick slowly learns that Blockbuster is Bludhaven’s biggest crime boss. They could make a few of their own characters; a few detectives, etc. They could possibly use Barbara Gordon/Oracle as a love interest and fighting partner. Also, they could slightly alter Helena Bertinelli’s story so it takes place in Bludhaven instead of Gotham. Imagine the conflict with that! Oracle, who’s confined to a wheelchair, is forced to just sit there while Nightwing fights crime with the Huntress; which is what she’d rather be doing. So, we’d also have Barbara trying to figure out her own life, post-Batgirl.

During the day, Dick can pursue a career as a police officer. As an intern at first, that would give him a place with the BPD. He begins to learn more and more about the underground crime, learning a few new tricks in the process. They could give a few of the "Teen Titan" and "The Outsider" characters cameos. They could also probably use a few Batman villains...

IMO, that has so much more potential than a series about pre-Robin Dick. Also, what the hell is with calling him DJ? Are people that childish where they can't help but giggle when they hear the name Dick?! Come on, at least let him keep his name!

It's still early, so maybe there could be some serious changes. What are other people's thoughts? Am I the only one dreading this as much as the planned "Justice League" movie?
    Thomas
    Ŧħ?'mąś
    Last edited by Thomas; 02-10-08, 04:11 AM.

I agree in the what are they thinking?

Even as Robin Dick Grayson was never that interesting until he became Nightwing. Pre-Robin would be just some pre-teen in the circus... It would just be weird and really have no solid place on TheCW. Like Thomas said it would just be a teendrama with a familar name...

Personally I think a Batgirl series based off of "Batgirl: Year One" would be ALOT more interesting. They could easily remove the Batman aspect and kinda have her and Robin. (I've thought about it... and it could so work!) Plus Barbara Gordon is such an interesting character.

I really hope Smallville doesn't end and we get "The Graysons" It just won't fly... And won't be as popular.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
      I agree in the what are they thinking?

Even as Robin Dick Grayson was never that interesting until he became Nightwing. Pre-Robin would be just some pre-teen in the circus... It would just be weird and really have no solid place on TheCW. Like Thomas said it would just be a teendrama with a familar name...

Personally I think a Batgirl series based off of "Batgirl: Year One" would be ALOT more interesting. They could easily remove the Batman aspect and kinda have her and Robin. (I've thought about it... and it could so work!) Plus Barbara Gordon is such an interesting character.

I really hope Smallville doesn't end and we get "The Graysons" It just won't fly... And won't be as popular.
      If they just jumped to Nightwing, it'd be even easier to put the Batman stuff to the side.

I always thought it'd be a great episode of "Smallville," a young Dick Grayson appearing for an episode, but an entire series? What the hell? How long can that last?

Honestly, I don't care about a teen drama about a family of acrobats. Plus, I can't explain it. I'm just confused about it... Like, why? The "Gossip Girl" and "90210" crowd aren't going to be that interested in a teenage acrobat. Plus, the title: "The Graysons?" I dunno, someone at the CW is smoking something. How do you even come up with an idea like this? I get it, they want to capitalize on "The Dark Knight's" success, but this isn't the way! For the most part, Nightwing is pretty much Batman. Vigilante? Corrupt city? Family tragedy? Does it ring any bell? Do that!
      Thomas
      Ŧħ?'mąś
      Last edited by Thomas; 02-10-08, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
        If they just jumped to Nightwing, it'd be even easier to put the Batman stuff to the side.

I always thought it'd be a great episode of "Smallville," a young Dick Grayson appearing for an episode, but an entire series? What the hell? How long can that last?

Honestly, I don't care about a teen drama about a family of acrobats. Plus, I can't explain it. I'm just confused about it... Like, why? The "Gossip Girl" and "90210" crowd aren't going to be that interested in a teenage acrobat. Plus, the title: "The Graysons?" I dunno, someone at the CW is smoking something. How do you even come up with an idea like this? I get it, they want to capitalize on "The Dark Knight's" success, but this isn't the way! For the most part, Nightwing is pretty much Batman. Vigilante? Corrupt city? Family tragedy? Does it ring any bell? Do that!
        I dunno if you ever saw this, but it is a fan trailer for a movie titled "Grayson" now THAT would be a pretty wicked series! I mean the idea of Batman dead and Dick trying to figure out what is really going on. I mean how wicked would that be? And they don't even really need the Wonder Woman or Green Lantern stuff. I really think they could do a solid series based on the idea for that trailer.

Comment

Working...
        X