2.05 - The Serena Also Rises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.05 - The Serena Also Rises

So what did you guys think of this week's episode? I enjoyed it a lot more than last week's and this was mostly due to Chuck.

But more on that later. First off, I have to say I really dislike this new rift between Blair and Serena. Serena was really bitchy at times in this ep and not cool-bitchy like Blair but just mean. And where did this Poppy girl come from? And why does Serena listen to every word Poppy says?

Jenny is really going all the way with her fashion career. I was quite shocked when she told Rufus that she had dropped out of school. :eek: I hope that Rufus can make her see reason and drag her back to school.

Bart Bass was really unlikeable in this episode. I hated how he treated poor Chuck, no wonder he turned out to be who he is. Also, that Bart had Lilly investigated and seems to be ashamed of her past really pissed me off.

The thing I liked most in this ep were the Chuck/Dan scenes. I always enjoy seeing the vulnerable side of Chuck and this episode really delivered in this department. We already knew about his father issues but it was nice that the writers brought it up again and at the same time showed to Dan that Chuck is not as cool and as emotionless as he had thought. I also loved the idea that when Dan had to bring some excitement into his life he immediately went to Chuck. Their bonding and drinking scenes were both funny and at times touching. I'm glad that Chuck found out about Dan's story and he was rightfully pissed off. I'm also glad that Dan decided not to write the story after all. Not many Chair scenes in this episode but enough delicious Chuck scenes!

So what did you all think about this episode?

Originally posted by Cori View Post
    But more on that later. First off, I have to say I really dislike this new rift between Blair and Serena. Serena was really bitchy at times in this ep and not cool-bitchy like Blair but just mean. And where did this Poppy girl come from? And why does Serena listen to every word Poppy says?

The thing I liked most in this ep were the Chuck/Dan scenes. I always enjoy seeing the vulnerable side of Chuck and this episode really delivered in this department. We already knew about his father issues but it was nice that the writers brought it up again and at the same time showed to Dan that Chuck is not as cool and as emotionless as he had thought. I also loved the idea that when Dan had to bring some excitement into his life he immediately went to Chuck. Their bonding and drinking scenes were both funny and at times touching. I'm glad that Chuck found out about Dan's story and he was rightfully pissed off. I'm also glad that Dan decided not to write the story after all. Not many Chair scenes in this episode but enough delicious Chuck scenes!
    Couldn't agree more - about the Chuck part! He really is what makes this show worth watching. Though, and I never thought I'd say this, I missed Nate. Not Nate Nate, but Nate as a "boll plank" for Chuck On the other hand, the Dan/Chuck scenes made up for most of that^^ I have to say - I loved it when he asked Dan to take off his shoes! I was seriously laughing my behind off! Furthermore, I think that for once the writers of Gossip Girl managed to find make a good "twist". At least I didn't see the "dead mom by childbirth" thing coming! It really explains a lot... I feel so sorry for him (though I do that all the time - he's the misunderstood sadistic puppy, how can you not?).

I also really liked (as you said) that Dan got to see that he actually has feelings! I think there's potential for a nice tolerate/hate relationship there! It could also be good for Dan to actually try to understand a person for once and not just judge by first appearance. (I really don't like him - can you tell?).

Serena. A first class biatch if you ask moi. Blair is childish and immature but you expect that from her! Serena is just false. She spent a year trying to convince everybody how nice and kind she was to just turn (because of a bad break-up!) and become the new Ms. Lucifer. Really don't like her. Also, "Poppy". They couldn't name her anything else?! "Candy" would've been better for crying out loud! POPPY! I just hope that we'll see some Chair soon though - they're just too perfect for each other (sadly Chuck's the only one who's realised this and he's not really handling the situation in a good way...). Ah well^^

Comment

I think the episode was okay, but not more.
      The Dan/Chuck scenes actually bored me. And Dan was a little to much out of charachter for me. And I didn't really get it. Did Dan wright about Chuck in the end or not?

I agree that Blair was childish screwing up her moms show. And Serena is just bitchy too. Really don't like her new queen style.
      But I liked how jenny and Blair was kind bounding in the end.
      And I really enjoyed Jennys story. And what a surprise on the end. I'm really looking forward to see how that goes.

I don't like Bart Bass. Never did, and this episode didn't really help coming over my angst against him. And I have my guess about it was he showed Lily. Not that hard to guess if I'm right.

But where was nate tonight?

Comment

I know! Nate just disappeared! I guess he'd gone away or something and that's why Chuck was so lonely. Because, I can see how it was necessary to take away Nate for Chuck to even consider going out with Dan (that sounded so gay!). If Chuck'd had Nate there he'd never said the magic words ("You're lucky I'm bored.").

The Jenny story is so... annoying! She's annoying. I think I'm just too different from her to ever sympathise, I love and prioritise studies way too much to ever even think of doing such a thing. I mostly feel sorry for Rufus! It's never easy for a parent to let go of a child and having them make their own mistakes. Well, we'll see what happens I guess^^

Comment

Originally posted by Signe View Post
          Serena. A first class biatch if you ask moi. Blair is childish and immature but you expect that from her! Serena is just false. She spent a year trying to convince everybody how nice and kind she was to just turn (because of a bad break-up!) and become the new Ms. Lucifer. Really don't like her. Also, "Poppy". They couldn't name her anything else?! "Candy" would've been better for crying out loud! POPPY! I just hope that we'll see some Chair soon though - they're just too perfect for each other (sadly Chuck's the only one who's realised this and he's not really handling the situation in a good way...). Ah well^^
          Ms. Lucifer? Where on earth are you getting that idea from? In spite of her weird behavior in the very end of the last epp (which was bitchy and stupid), and despite the misleading promo, I didn't think Serena acted particularly bitchy or "Queen-like" at all--she didn't ask for the girls to trail after her, and she thought about Blair first almost the whole time--"No, I can't sit in the front row mom, I have to keep my tradition with Blair, and she'd be mad!" "No, I can't go out on the catwalk, Blair would be upset!"--just like she's been doing since the beginning of the show. Poppy had a very good point IMO.....she tried to be as nice as she could the entire episode until the very end, in spite of Blair's constant slings and arrows--how is that being "Ms. Lucifer" or a "first class bitcah"?!

It was BLAIR who was acting intolerably childish and bitchy, and who crossed the line into just plain irritating, and NOT being bitchy in a "cool mean" way--the stunts she tried to pull to sabotage poor Jenny just for doing her job, and the way she actually worked to ruin her own mother's show (don't you like having lots of money you spoiled rich brat? Where do you think that all comes from, you who have never worked for it?) just for her petty revenge--that was beyond even the usual Blair IMO. I think Serena was justified in her behavior in reaction to all that, even if it wasn't perhaps the nicest thing to do--but in the same way I agree with Rufus turning Lily away from his door and telling her he can't be her friend in the last epp, because even though it broke my heart and Lily's, he was totally right. I don't think we can be mad at Serena for deciding she had had enough of Blair's childishness.....
          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
            Ms. Lucifer? Where on earth are you getting that idea from? In spite of her weird behavior in the very end of the last epp (which was bitchy and stupid), and despite the misleading promo, I didn't think Serena acted particularly bitchy or "Queen-like" at all--she didn't ask for the girls to trail after her, and she thought about Blair first almost the whole time--"No, I can't sit in the front row mom, I have to keep my tradition with Blair, and she'd be mad!" "No, I can't go out on the catwalk, Blair would be upset!"--just like she's been doing since the beginning of the show. Poppy had a very good point IMO.....she tried to be as nice as she could the entire episode until the very end, in spite of Blair's constant slings and arrows--how is that being "Ms. Lucifer" or a "first class bitcah"?!

It was BLAIR who was acting intolerably childish and bitchy, and who crossed the line into just plain irritating, and NOT being bitchy in a "cool mean" way--the stunts she tried to pull to sabotage poor Jenny just for doing her job, and the way she actually worked to ruin her own mother's show [...] just for her petty revenge--that was beyond even the usual Blair IMO. I think Serena was justified in her behavior in reaction to all that, even if it wasn't perhaps the nicest thing to do-- [...] I don't think we can be mad at Serena for deciding she had had enough of Blair's childishness.....
            You're forgetting I said "false". With Blair everybody knows she's childish and egoistic - I've come to expect that from her which is why I can also more easily accept that from her. Serena on the other hand, has always claimed (and still do so) that she doesn't want the possy to be looking to her and that she didn't want to do anything to hurt Blair. See, Serena can say these things but she knows that the possy will follow her if she gives them the slightest inclination that she wants them to. Furthermore, did you not see how much she loved it when they asked her about the magazine that had her picture "oh! I hadn't seen that one". I find it very hard to believe that she didn't enjoy that spotlight just as much as Blair.

I've never said that Blair isn't a first class bitch - but she's never claimed to really be anything else. To her peers anyway. Serena has been droning on and on (and still are in some ways) about how she's not "like that". That's why I don't like her. She's false, towards herself and her friends. Because I believe that she actually believes that "she's not like that" although she really is. Another thing I just found ridiculus about Serena and this episode is the finale where she's standing outside posing for the photographers. It just looked so phony to me... Like they just put that scene in there to show how "cool" Serena was and how much attention she got now that she "wasn't holding back". I was like "WHY?!" it looked so stupid!

Comment

I know! Nate just disappeared! I guess he'd gone away or something and that's why Chuck was so lonely. Because, I can see how it was necessary to take away Nate for Chuck to even consider going out with Dan (that sounded so gay!). If Chuck'd had Nate there he'd never said the magic words ("You're lucky I'm bored.").

The Jenny story is so... annoying! She's annoying. I think I'm just too different from her to ever sympathise, I love and prioritise studies way too much to ever even think of doing such a thing. I mostly feel sorry for Rufus! It's never easy for a parent to let go of a child and having them make their own mistakes. Well, we'll see what happens I guess^^
              You are probaably right. But I think they should explained why he was gone.

Actually I kind of sympathise with Jenny the most. I know how it is to burning for something and do pretty everything do get that. I don't know if I would go as far as dropping out school. But I don't blame her. Rufus can be pretty controlling sometimes.

Comment

You're forgetting I said "false". With Blair everybody knows she's childish and egoistic - I've come to expect that from her which is why I can also more easily accept that from her. Serena on the other hand, has always claimed (and still do so) that she doesn't want the possy to be looking to her and that she didn't want to do anything to hurt Blair. See, Serena can say these things but she knows that the possy will follow her if she gives them the slightest inclination that she wants them to. Furthermore, did you not see how much she loved it when they asked her about the magazine that had her picture "oh! I hadn't seen that one". I find it very hard to believe that she didn't enjoy that spotlight just as much as Blair.

I've never said that Blair isn't a first class bitch - but she's never claimed to really be anything else. To her peers anyway. Serena has been droning on and on (and still are in some ways) about how she's not "like that". That's why I don't like her. She's false, towards herself and her friends. Because I believe that she actually believes that "she's not like that" although she really is. Another thing I just found ridiculus about Serena and this episode is the finale where she's standing outside posing for the photographers. It just looked so phony to me... Like they just put that scene in there to show how "cool" Serena was and how much attention she got now that she "wasn't holding back". I was like "WHY?!" it looked so stupid!
                I'm sorry, but I did not see ANY indication that she particularly cared about those girls following her in this epp--her "Oh! I didn't see that" was not the false, knowing tone that you'd here from Blair or someone who would love that kind of thing--I didn't see her "loving" it at all. I think she was being entirely truthful when she told Blair that the possy would follow anyone and would soon move on to someone else--it's certainly true, and her tone supported it. I feel like you are reading into things that aren't there.....

As for the modeling/photographers, it was established way back in the fourth episode of the show that she enjoys that kind of thing--remember her having a good time in front of them in "Bad News Blair?" She was always "cool."
                Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I agree, in my opinion, Serena didn't really do anything wrong. Blair was being a spoiled brat. Sabotaging Jenny because she changed the seating chart was horriable. Little J didn't know Blair originally made it. She's always trying to hold Serena back. Serena shouldn't have to dumb herself down to make Blair feel better. It's not her fault Blair is so insecure. Then, she almost ruined her mother's show. If Jenny's dressed sucked, then Eleanor would have been publicly humiliated. It was wrong of her to try to hurt them like that.

Speaking of Jenny, I'm really liking her story. Since she's not going to Constance any more, I'm think this will be a great way to keep Constance around longer. When she goes back, she's probably going to have to repeat her sophomore year. So, Constance will probably stick around for three more seasons, unless Jenny gets a spin-off. Hopefully, they'll keep Jenny around. They can introduce the kids from "Gossip Girl: The Carlyles" as her new classmates.

Comment

Working...
                  X