Where is the love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the love?

I've noticed that, for a show with such a strong following and so many characters... there really are no 'ships set up in the show or in the fandom. Anybody have any idea why that is? Is Kring doing it deliberately? Are the fans just too interested in the mythology and the plot to care?

Do you have any "Heroes" 'ships yourself? They've teased a few relationship ideas, but really, there's not a Maya/Mohinder webring. Peter/Claire was everybody's first impulse after "Homecoming", but the incest angle blew that up. Your Buffy/Angelus thinking 'shipper might have latched on to Claire/Sylar, but obviously (spoilers through 3.02)
    Spoiler:
    That's out since they are now, also, related.
    West is gone and nobody was into Claire/West anyway. Peter/Caitlyn (sp) was going well, but then she got ditched.

I just don't sense any real "'shipper" enthusiasm around the show. Nathan/(random Ali Larter)? In Season 2, I was actually intrigued by Peter/Elle -- he played her, but he played her as himself. He acted like Peter acts, and the scam was ignoring that he was a prisoner. And she was clearly won over by him. Certainly that would be a pretty messed up triangle since she killed Ricky, but I could still get into that as a relationship.

Does anybody have any 'ships about this show?
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

I'm still waiting for them to de-incest-ify Peter/Claire... If that's out, then there's really no other 'ship I'm interested in. Kring writes some of the most touching familial relations in television (Noah-Claire, Peter-Nathan), but the romantic relationships we've seen so far are beyond lame.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

He writes them as touching in a very literal sense -- the physical contact and intimacy of both Claire and her father and Nathan and Peter have been subject to much humor on TWOP, and in the case of Nathan and Peter, gave rise to the term "BroYay". People theorize that the actors themselves play it for the joke.

I would have been fine with Claire/Zach back in Season 1, but the writers decided, almost inexplicably, that Zach would become the sexually ambiguous character and Thomas Dekker eventually left the show for that reason (apparently) to take a better part anyway. Zach was sure more interesting than West. I would almost think they should recast him and move on since his influence on Claire might be something that could help her this season.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Most shipping for Heroes that I've seen has been slashy. A popular one is Mohinder/Sylar, another Mohinder/Matt, Nathan/Peter as you've mentioned, Sylar/Peter, Hiro/Ando, etc.

Peter/Claire remains somewhat popular despite the incest.
        I was all for Claire/Zach, and would love for him to come back to the show.
        Spoiler:
        I'm intrigued by Hiro/Daphne. The Batman/Catwoman dynamic is one I love, and I think it's telling that Hiro described her as such.

Comment

I never invested even the slightest ounce of interest the Peter/Claire ship, honestly. Yeah, they're couple scenes in season 1 are touching but that's it for me. I never read into anything more.

Personally, I ship Niki/Nathan. Ever since 1.04 "Collision," I loved their chemistry - romantic and otherwise. Adrian Pasdar and Ali Larter both light up every scene that they share together. And, now, with season 3...

Spoiler:
          I'm so excited that they're going to dive into Tracy/Nathan.

I also liked the Niki/Peter ship from 1.20 "Five Years Gone." It was so random...but it worked. For me, at least. They're both troubled souls, they both have/had powers they couldn't really control. And Milo Ventimiglia and Ali Larter also had great chemistry together. Very sexual.

So, basically, I ship anything involving Ali Larter and the Petrellis. Which means that Ali Larter/Angela Petrelli is next...
          wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

There's a great deal of bromance going on in Heroes, I guess because a lot of the characters are powerful men and you can't really help but have a bit of hoyay in that situation, I mean, look at Spangel...

I think it would be really interesting to have a few well done ships going on, it would raise the stakes because right now they all seem to be out for themselves.

Actually, having said that...

Spoiler:
            is it just me or could Mohinder and Maya be one of the most boring couples in the history of television?
            What are you gonna do? Make me some more eggs?

Livejournal
            Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

Spoiler:
              No, it's not just you. I had actually convinced myself that they had killed off Maya in Season 2, so when she showed up alive I was like "WTF?!?" And then instead of changing her at all, they just somehow keep her exactly the same and make her worse at the same time. How is that even possible?
              Last edited by XavierZane; 26-09-08, 12:01 AM.

Comment

the show doesn't need shippers...
                because that Mohinder/Maya relationship did not do any favours for the show. the show is too complex and goes through too many storylines with too many characters to have time to focus on a relationship journey.

i know there's the Tracey/Nathan possibility, but honestly, i don't really care for the shipper if it happens or not. the only reason i watch the show is for the characters individual stories and storyline, and not for the shippers.
                veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Comment

But don't you think that relationships can serve to make the characters more realistic and easier to identify with? It might make the characters more interesting if they brought up questions such as -would you abuse your power to save the one you love? Would you abuse your power to make someone love you?

One of the strongest storylines for me in Season One was Matt and his ability to know what his wife was thinking, and how that changed their relationship.

Livejournal
                  Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

Originally posted by doubleshiny View Post
                    But don't you think that relationships can serve to make the characters more realistic and easier to identify with? It might make the characters more interesting if they brought up questions such as -would you abuse your power to save the one you love? Would you abuse your power to make someone love you?

One of the strongest storylines for me in Season One was Matt and his ability to know what his wife was thinking, and how that changed their relationship.
                    Caitlin/Peter, West/Claire, Hiro/country girl from a different time, Hiro/sword-maker's daughter, Kensei/sword-maker's daughter, Maya/Mohinder, Sylar/Maya.... i mean, all of these shippers are just so not interesting at all and didn't make me like their characters any more...
                    plus, i found Matt Parkman extremely boring...i'd rather skip his part and go straight to someone else's storyline. if it was with a major character, like Claire...perhaps.

but for me, a show like this can survive without shippers (majority of shippers so far have done nothing for the show)...the only ones that seem popular are Nikki/Nathan and non-realistic ones between characters who are biologically related also with a huge age gap. the show goes from one character to another so quickly... anyway, i watch Heroes for the cool powers and action/fight scenes, not waiting for some love story to happen amongst it all. at least Claire's mother didn't leave after finding out what HRG does.

Comment

I personally liked West/Claire... I mean, I really enjoyed the kid.

Claire/Peter needs to stop being related... because I love that chemistry. I latched onto them and I knew I shouldn't have because I knew they were gonna do something to eff it up. Supid Kring

Future!Peter/Niki was really great, and I totally fell for them even though we got barely any time of them together... which is sad really. I thought they had some great chemistry.

Peter/Elle really had me going as well... damn, I think I pretty much ship anything with Peter in it

OH! And Niki/Nathan... that was just downright hot.

Honestly, this isn't a show that you watch for the ships, it is more about the individual characters stories... should that include a romance then sure, go for it... but most times it doesn't. Though I am guessing that by the end of this they are all going to somehow be related... my theory?
                      Spoiler:
                      Mama Petrelli is EVERYONES Mama.... whore.
                      Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

Originally posted by EndersWrath View Post
                        Honestly, this isn't a show that you watch for the ships, it is more about the individual characters stories... should that include a romance then sure, go for it... but most times it doesn't. Though I am guessing that by the end of this they are all going to somehow be related... my theory?
                        Spoiler:
                        Mama Petrelli is EVERYONES Mama.... whore.
                        lol,
                        Spoiler:
                        didn't Maya sleep with Sylar??? or did they just make out or something...wouldn't that make Maya a whore also..., but seriously, her character needs to go...

Comment

I think this show is better when it does family relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger47 View Post
                            but for me, a show like this can survive without shippers (majority of shippers so far have done nothing for the show)...the only ones that seem popular are Nikki/Nathan and non-realistic ones between characters who are biologically related also with a huge age gap.
                            If you're talking about Peter/Claire, well, Milo and Hayden are in a long-term relationship despite the age difference...

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                              If you're talking about Peter/Claire, well, Milo and Hayden are in a long-term relationship despite the age difference...
                              yes, that was the shipper i was referring to...the age gap in the show might not be that big (Claire's probably 16 or 17, while Peter is probably mid-20s)...but it still seemed big to me in the first season when watching it.

the 12 year age difference in real life is huge IMO and these large age gap relationships often don't make much sense to me (Tom/Katie, etc), but glad it's working out for them so far though.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger47 View Post
                                lol,
                                Spoiler:
                                didn't Maya sleep with Sylar??? or did they just make out or something...wouldn't that make Maya a whore also..., but seriously, her character needs to go...
                                I think they implied that she did. And if she seriously finished kissing a half naked dripping wet Sylar and then just went back to her room and read a book then she needs slapping more than I thought!

I'm not saying that the show needs shippers per se, just that it can help to make the characters more rounded. What about Hiro and Charlie? Nikki and DL? Isaac and Simone?

Livejournal
                                Alan Tudyk Dot Net

Comment

Originally posted by doubleshiny View Post
                                  I think they implied that she did. And if she seriously finished kissing a half naked dripping wet Sylar and then just went back to her room and read a book then she needs slapping more than I thought!

I'm not saying that the show needs shippers per se, just that it can help to make the characters more rounded. What about Hiro and Charlie? Nikki and DL? Isaac and Simone?
                                  didn't like any of those shippers. Nikki and DL wasn't as bad, because they were established and had Micah...wasn't into Simone or Charlie's characters though...same goes with Caitlin...and it seems like any other random girl they bring in as shipper material.

like assydingo said, i prefer the family relationships more...not random shippers to give short-term sub-story to characters lives.

Comment

The lack of "ships" is the best part about the show. I don't know if I could deal if the focus of Heroes was on romantic relationships. I mean, it's there just as much as it needs to be, and that's a good thing.
                                    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Comment

I agree. I think the writers want us to see the characters as individuals going on their own journey, with the exception of all the family ties.

Comment

Working...
                                      X