4.05 "The Perfect Pieces in the Purple Pond" Spoiler Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.05 "The Perfect Pieces in the Purple Pond" Spoiler Discussion Thread

Woah, just woah. My faith in the writer's has been restored, and the only thing that would've been better would be 1) Sweets got to legally release Zack, that would've been amazing!, and 2) Hodgins and Angela got back together, because really? WTF? ANYWAYS....

I loved this week's case. The OCD story was just perfect, and all the scenes with Zack in the asylum were just great (I forgot how much I wove wove Zack), the new intern was actually good, not annoying, and just plain likable. I would've been fine with him leaving if Zack were coming back, but he's back in the asylum, so why can't he just stay? The twist at the end was just perfect. I loved the little montage, plus, my favorite moment in the whole episode (purely because it lifts my spirits!):

ZACK IS NOT A MURDERER!

Give a woo!!!!! That. Is. FANTASTIC! One thing we were all mad about was that Zack killed a man, and we can never look at him the same way again, blah blah blah, but now we find out he's just covering for his "old master", which is AWESOME. Sorry, I'm just soooo happy our favorite ex-logical grad student is not a murderer! So giddy!

And secondly, I feel this episode gave us hopes that Zack will be released. IMO, all those scenes with Brennan saying, "we'll get you out someday", the escape, the first scene with Sweets saying how Zack could get out, etc. These were all hints of them saying, "Hey, we really crapped on Zack, but we might try and fix it. Maybe." And maybe is better than what we had for the past few episodes: silence. So, this gives me hopes.

Anyone else love this episode with all their heart? Zack, awesome case, classic montage, great character stuff, B/B...what more can you possibly want? (other than, you know...more Zack).

Yeah, a really good solid episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And for once, I didn't guess the murderer. But I thought it was a clever little murder plot for this ep.

Yeah, seeing Zack was cool. Very cool. Especially since we did learn that he is not a killer! But I suspected that anyway because it clearly was not him who jumped out and stabbed that dude last season. I knew there had to be an explanation for that.

Randomness: Cam looked super pretty tonight!

And all the B/B sexual tension stuff? Didn't feel forced at all. Which is nice because sometimes, well, it really does. Booth being overprotective throughout the whole ep was funny! And sweet, of course, too.

I really enjoyed this one.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I really enjoyed the case this episode ... for the first time I didn't figured it out before Booth/Brennan. And it was clever .. the head was gross.

Loved Sweets tonight, I like that he finally found his place in the team.

I hated the Zack part, I missed Zack but the whole escaping (His hands aren't working very well, he is wearing gloves ... how did he do it?) and the idea that nobody noticed is ridiculous (guards?). The same for him walking in the Jeffersonian without somebody stopping him and the idea that they went eating and laughing with him in a diner was a bit unrealistic as well. I'm not sure about the retcon, it made sense that he wasn't a killer ... but it's a bit weak.

Booth/Brennan, I love their cheesy over the top relation. But tonight was weird, why was Booth overprotective? Talking about Booth ... He really starts to annoy me. Where is the serious Booth, I'm kind of sick of this wacky Booth (too much like DB himself?), he is a special FBI agent!

And Angela blaming Sweets for the break up ... why didn't she went to Dubai?

Liked watching it, but it wasn't great.
      Nina
      and her haircut.
      Last edited by Nina; 25-09-08, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        I'm not sure about the retcon, it made sense that he wasn't a killer ... but it's a bit weak.
        It didn't come off as a retcon for me. I just felt liek they were finally filling in the gaps of the explanation for the whole Gormogon fiasco. :/

Booth/Brennan, I love their cheesy over the top relation. But tonight was weird, why was Booth overprotective? Talking about Booth ... He really starts to annoy me. Where is the serious Booth, I'm kind of sick of this wacky Booth (too much like DB himself?), he is a special FBI agent!
        It's so weird how viewers can see things so differently. I briefly typed in my post how I felt the opposite.

As for being overprotective? Let's me honest, Booth digs Brennan. Whether he is fully conscious of that, we aren't sure. But he does. And I think that his feelings are manifesting themselves in these overprotective instances. That was just my interpretation. As for him not being as serious as he used to? He's probably gotten very comfortable in his partnership with Brennan and the squints. They all works very well together. It seems to me that he is just letting loose a little bit. And--I am sure this will never be addressed in the show or anything--part of this may be a defense mechanism for what he has been through lately...getting shot, being betrayed by Zack...personalities can shift in times of personal strife.
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
          It didn't come off as a retcon for me. I just felt liek they were finally filling in the gaps of the explanation for the whole Gormogon fiasco. :/
          I have the feeling that they shocked themselves last year and found out that they made a not working story which they try to fix now. I doubt that they planned this, but maybe they did ... and in that case I won't call it a retcon anymore.

It's so weird how viewers can see things so differently. I briefly typed in my post how I felt the opposite.
          I agree that it didn't felt forced especially not when you compare it to other episodes ... but something rubbed me the wrong way this episode.

As for being overprotective? Let's me honest, Booth digs Brennan. Whether he is fully conscious of that, we aren't sure. But he does. And I think that his feelings are manifesting themselves in these overprotective instances. That was just my interpretation.
          I agree that it would be a natural thing to do for Booth, it's just so much in one episode. If they did built it up slowly I would love it ... but instead we got an overdosis now while we didn't really saw it before.

As for him not being as serious as he used to? He's probably gotten very comfortable in his partnership with Brennan and the squints. They all works very well together. It seems to me that he is just letting loose a little bit. And--I am sure this will never be addressed in the show or anything--part of this may be a defense mechanism for what he has been through lately...getting shot, being betrayed by Zack...personalities can shift in times of personal strife.
          That's possible ... I hope that they will do something with it because it can be an interesting character development for Booth.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I love serious Booth a lot, while this version is working me on my nerves.
          Nina
          and her haircut.
          Last edited by Nina; 25-09-08, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I still haven't seen the season finale from last year, but I got brought up to speed about what happened. It's great that they have Zack saying he didn't do it, and they even gave a believable reason for him to be lying about it. I say I'm glad, though, not because of Zack as much as for the other characters. If Zack had done what he admitted to, and his attitude was what we saw in this episode, that would make him pretty much a dead-eyed sociopath, without anything in the way of human empathy (his whole "I accepted bad logic" thing). It would be very creepy that all his friends would be mostly wanting him out as soon as somebody would sign off on him in that situation.

Is JFD's character actually named Sweets? I thought it was just a nickname?
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

I agree that it would be a natural thing to do for Booth, it's just so much in one episode. If they did built it up slowly I would love it ... but instead we got an overdosis now while we didn't really saw it before.
              Yeah, you do have a point there. A slow build-up would be nice. Although they have been showing some of the overprotection this whole season. It did kind of build really fast though.

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
              Is JFD's character actually named Sweets? I thought it was just a nickname?
              Yep, that's his name.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                Oh it was definitely a retcon--you can tell from the way Hart was talking after the finale that this is all "ooops, my bad!" damage control on the writer's part--they realized that they had not thought the Zack thing through well enough before, that he couldn't have been the guy in "The Knight in the Grid," etc, and tried to think of a way to have it make more sense. (Though it still doesn't really make sense, given how Zack's hero-worship of Booth and Brennan is such an integral part of his personality that he would never betray them or fail to mention the Master approaching him when he was in the middle of that same case).

I wasn't surprised to hear it, since a friend had already told me that they'd retcon Zack murdering someone, but I'm glad of it all the same, and thought it was done relatively well, for having to be done at all.....I feel a little bit better about Zack, though it was still such a stupid move on the writers' and Hart's part in the first place, and this smacks of a lame attempt to cover their tracks and reverse that mistake. So even if it's good, it's still lame, and I wouldn't say that all my faith in the writers is restored by this one thing....and if they do bring back Zack, it will really be a "whoops, my bad!" kind of thing....though I'd be glad to see him back nonetheless!

I agree about not guessing the murderer, this was a good case.....Booth's sudden overprotectiveness was irritating, I actually do think it was forced-seeming, the way it kept coming up over and over again all of a sudden in this one epp--the hug at the end of the last epp was more natural....

Here's my running commentary, if anyone's interested in reading it....

Spoiler:
                UGH that is NOT Zack! > He was never THAT completely robotic.....more character assasination...

Zack's "ookey" room? "Zack's bad example"? ugh?..why Hart, why?! >

"I heal really fast?." Was I the only one who thought of DB's career as a vampire when he said this?

What's with the shoes?

I think having to hatch a fly to get evidence is pretty funny myself Hodgins?.

"These action figures?..are awesome!" Gah, I love you Sweets!

"I'm not a crazy person!" Um, you do know they stereotype about florists, right? (My money is on her son as the murderer right now-I'd be a little upset if my mom was doing that too?.)

ROFL at Brennan not realizing her come on to the intern!

Ew, I don't like Zack's hair here?.it's too long!

Um, I don't think it's generally kosher to leave an ongoing case file with an outsider?..especially a former murderer (or is this Zack doing his "Hannibal Lector" stint as Hart so horribly put it?)?.though given that in the finale they had Sweets actually talking on freaking TV about an ongoing secret investigation, I guess I shouldn't be surprised?.*rolleyes*

Oooh, a profesor at University of Maryland-woot!

Um, I don't have OCD, and I sure wouldn't want to lick the floor or suck on a toilet-mint-I don't think those are kosher or effective methods against OCD-I think anyone who could do those things is the one with a disorder?..

Sweets is right Ange?it was your OWN stupid, idiotic, irrational fault that you broke up with Hodgins! >

Yay, Zackaroni! And he solves the case?..(I admit, I didn't see this one coming, though by now I knew it wasn't the son of the older woman?).

Um, much as I'd love to chill with Zack at the diner too, shouldn't you be er, returning him or something? (Aww, this is a really pretty song?)

And here's the retcon Allison mentioned?..I gotta say, this actually makes more sense than the real situation (because there's no way that could have been Zack killing the dude, given the motorcycle chase and everything else)?..though it still highlights the lameness and lack of thought in the original decision to make it Zack! *rolleyes* Can you say, "damage control"?

3.7/5

Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                  Oh it was definitely a retcon--you can tell from the way Hart was talking after the finale that this is all "ooops, my bad!" damage control on the writer's part--
                  Okay, fine. I was just saying it didn't feel like a retcon. It may have very well been. But if you are someone like me who doesn't read Hart's interviews, then it doesn't come off as a retcon. So, for the casual viewer, it worked fine imo.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh it was definitely a retcon--you can tell from the way Hart was talking after the finale that this is all "ooops, my bad!" damage control on the writer's part--
                    Yeah, but it's a good one!

I know you agree, cause you say it later, but you also say it's lame. But, honestly, it may be "lame", but at least they're doing it. They're trying to win back their loyal fans by #1) showing Zack again, #2) saying that he didn't murder anyone, and, my prediction #3) him returning to the Jeffersonian, eventually. That is what I think will happen. And if it doesn't happen, well, that'll be sad. But, still, not lame. It's fixing their mistakes

Comment

Is it possible to return for Zach? Not only his Gormagon past, but also his hands are a problem. I'm not sure if Zach returning would be believable ... even in the pretty unrealistic series Bones.

Comment

Is it possible to return for Zach? Not only his Gormagon past, but also his hands are a problem. I'm not sure if Zach returning would be believable ... even in the pretty unrealistic series Bones.
                        Remember, Zack said he will soon have full use of his hands back. Plus, Sweets was talking about how if he passes Zack, he can come out of the asylum earlier. I think it would be believable, depending on how they do it

Comment

I missed that one, I thought that it hands will recover for 60%. But after what he did, I think that he will have a criminal record and that's a problem when he works with the FBI. At least that's my non-lawyer view on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                            Yeah, but it's a good one!

I know you agree, cause you say it later, but you also say it's lame. But, honestly, it may be "lame", but at least they're doing it. They're trying to win back their loyal fans by #1) showing Zack again, #2) saying that he didn't murder anyone, and, my prediction #3) him returning to the Jeffersonian, eventually. That is what I think will happen. And if it doesn't happen, well, that'll be sad. But, still, not lame. It's fixing their mistakes
                            It's lame that they have to be retconing and trying to fix mistakes in the first place--they never should have created this mess! I'm glad they're fixing it, but I'm just saying I don't think this means we can trust them again. If Zack does return, for instance, it will have been after the SECOND attempt to off his character from the show (I think that they originally considered getting rid of him via Iraq at the end of season 2), because they want to "mix things up" and because they're too lazy and uncreative to think of new things to do with his character.....and the second time that they realized they can't do it. Therefore, even if I'd be happy to see Zack back, I think by definition doing so would be lame on the writers' parts, and show how un-together they've been in the last season.....

And Jenni I have to disagree, this felt very much like a retcon to me, even without everything else.....
                            Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

It's lame that they have to be retconing and trying to fix mistakes in the first place--they never should have created this mess! I'm glad they're fixing it, but I'm just saying I don't think this means we can trust them again. If Zack does return, for instance, it will have been after the SECOND attempt to off his character from the show (I think that they originally considered getting rid of him via Iraq at the end of season 2), because they want to "mix things up" and because they're too lazy and uncreative to think of new things to do with his character.....and the second time that they realized they can't do it. Therefore, even if I'd be happy to see Zack back, I think by definition doing so would be lame on the writers' parts, and show how un-together they've been in the last season.....

And Jenni I have to disagree, this felt very much like a retcon to me, even without everything else.....
                              1. Well, I thought they did want to do something with his character that involved some sort of post-traumatic stress from his Iraq experience and the writer's strike interfered with it. And sure, they made a mistake by dismissing the story all together and then making him, essentially, a villain. We all know it was a mistake. And the writers must too! But I don't think it was laziness or a lack of creativity...they just got stupid and wanted a big shock for the finale. I just don't think they thought about it long enough.

2. Okay, disagree then. But I thought I was clear. It didn't feel like it to me and I am willing to bet that for most viewers who don't follow fan boards and the like on the internet didn't feel like it was either. I love the show but I don't take it too seriously and don't get that upset about these kinds of things about it. But I know lots of Bones fans do. I've seen tons of them ripping into the show for the last two seasons. But I am not one of them. So, disagree. I'm just saying that perspectives differ. And from mine, it comes off fine. They are trying to clean up a big mess. A big mess. So as far as retcons go, there have been worse ones. *shrugs*
                              sigpic

Comment

I really liked the storyline this week, agree it was a tough one to crack. I have to admit I didn't like Zack coming back and not because I don't like him - because I love his character - but it just felt very unrealistic, there is no way he would have escaped and even if he had, Booth wouldn't have let him hang around for a bite to eat. Again loving Sweets, his constant interrupting to Booth when he was questioning a suspect made me laugh.

I also agree that I don't think that Zack could come back to work at the Jeffersonian if they abided by the law, I'm sure he wouldn't be allowed so it would be unbelievable. I didn't see it as a retcon but as Jenni Lou said, unless you follow the interviews and stuff you probably wouldn't see it that way. I think he should be kept on but as a guest.
                                sigpic

Comment

ITalking about Booth ... He really starts to annoy me. Where is the serious Booth, I'm kind of sick of this wacky Booth (too much like DB himself?), he is a special FBI agent!
                                  But isn't this something Booth has supposedly been working on for the last year.

The first psychiatrist (don't remember his name) told Booth that he wore the wild socks and oversized belt buckles to express himself since he otherwise had to suppress himself due to his job. Suppressing his wilder side is what led him to shoot a ice cream truck clown.

Of course it could be that DB is just tired of playing intense, rarely happy characters.

Comment

Working...
                                  X