Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skins?

Hey

I was sure there was a 'Skins' Thread once, but I can't find it so maybe it got deleted? Anyway I thought I'd open one up again, though if I'm not allowed, I'm really sorry mods for the inconvenience

Firstly, just wanted to say how much I love, and I mean LOVE this show. I thought it was outstanding. It was daring, provocative and had such sweet and tender moments. Btvs left me emotionally stunted I feel, I'm constantly comparing other shows to it and it's characters and often they leave me feeling empty because I constantly compare them to my love for Btvs' characters. Buffy has seriously impaired me in being able to fully open up myself to enjoy other shows, so when a show does get into my heart I consider it a pretty amazing achievement

So far only a couple of other shows have managed it, 'Firefly' (to some extent), The Office US, The OC (yeah I know weird huh, despite all these shows problems I did really care about some of the characters) and now Skins.

I just loved the characters in 'Skins' I found them so compelling and sweet. I found Tony and utter, utter jack ass in season 1 and disliked him quite a lot but found myself wanting the old Tony back all season 2. Cassie's adorable and quite a bitca when she onces to be, Sid's a delight, there's something incredibly unique about Michelle, I love Jou's fighsty-ness and I find Anwar and Chris just an awesome, awesome pair, I love them both dearly. And Chris.. poor Chris, I fell in love with his character pretty much instantly and can't believe how his story ended

I just loved all the sweet moments between them. I loved seeing them in 'The Pilot' when they fell into the river, or when they get into a fight at Annabelle’s house, or when they get into a fight at Anwar's birthday and we see Maxxie attack one of the body guards, it's hilarious and adorable they all stick up for each other in a fight, no matter how scrawny some of them are, or how outmatched they all are.

But the show left me so bloody depressed. I'm considering boycotting the whole show after the revelation all the characters are being replaced for Effy and her friends. The creators said they're trying to get a new generation of 'Skins' fans and I feel like shouting "what about the old ones, were we not enough?" I'm just terribly disappointed we're loosing all of these people. Usually I'm against boycotting a show when it doesn't go your own way, but usually my protest is when people just don't like a direction a character is going and boycott it, in this instance I feel compelled to boycott it because none of the characters are left! It might as well not have been the same show!

With Chris' funeral, the sad scene of Tony and Sid saying goodbye, the gang all reading out their scores to one another, the final scene between Michelle and Tony in the car and the end of all these characters in 'Skins' the whole episode felt gloomy and ominous to me. Kinda haunting, I wanted it to end to see how it ended but didn't want it to end because I want more of these characters. It was just so sad

So what of 'Skins'? Anyone else love it like I do? Anyone else extremely disappointed that all the characters are now being replaced for the 'new generation' or are you remaining optimistic and hopeful? Is there anyone even glad this is happening?

I still love this show, will re-watch it continously, it isn't as if the finale left me too bitter or anything like that, just watching it for the first time was all very surreal. I just had wished if they really felt as if they couldn't continue after high school they took the some format most US shows do such as Buffy and The OC and start the kids in their tenth year. It'll also given the kids four years in highschool seeing as how they did year 13. 20 episodes of these characters was just not enough! And I think it's a great accomplishment they made people fall in love with them in only 20 episodes when usually a TV show has an average of 22 just for one season.

Vampmogs
    vampmogs
    Slayer Supporter
    Last edited by vampmogs; 02-07-08, 08:10 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
    Firstly, just wanted to say how much I love, and I mean LOVE this show. I thought it was outstanding.
    Yay! I really enjoyed it too ? and I didn't expect to. It was so hyped here I was frankly annoyed by it before I'd even watched it. But to me it was the most emotionally honest show about being a teenager I've seen in a long time. Ok, so it was very over the top, but I thought that all the stylised stuff captured the pain and the funny of adolescence wonderfully. Loved the musical bit at the end of the first season!

Jackass Tony was a lot of fun. Having a completely horrid person on a show is so often enjoyable (Jayne on Firefly?ok, Tony is meaner?Barney on HIMYM) because they can do all the stuff that everyone thinks about doing but has too much of a conscience to hold them back. But in the end, he wasn't just a jackass ? and all the characters managed to combine good and bad qualities, so none of them are idealised, and none of them are just evil. I loved how they played the Maxxie/Anwar relationship, with Anwar's discomfort not really going away as such, but he learns to get over it because in the end, they're mates and that's what matters.

Bill Bailey as Maxxie's dad?.awww. Love Bill Bailey.

But the show left me so bloody depressed. I'm considering boycotting the whole show after the revelation all the characters are being replaced for Effy and her friends.
    It is very sad. I wasn't particularly interested in Effy, she was a bit smug, but maybe they will come up with some good ?uns? Wish we could just follow the old ones where they go next though. I don't own it yet but will probably get it cos I want to show it to my gf.

Chris's death and funeral totally killed me. He had a little Xander in him I feel.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
      Yay! I really enjoyed it too – and I didn’t expect to. It was so hyped here I was frankly annoyed by it before I’d even watched it.
      That's a lot like me. A lot of people I knew had watched it and I had seen the Maxxie episode from season 2 randomly, but without the back-story and knowledge of what was going on, I thought it was incredibly over hyped. I'm glad I gave it another chance and bought the DVD's though, because it's not a show you want to miss out on.

But to me it was the most emotionally honest show about being a teenager I’ve seen in a long time. Ok, so it was very over the top, but I thought that all the stylised stuff captured the pain and the funny of adolescence wonderfully. Loved the musical bit at the end of the first season!
      Oh I agree. I have the blurb on the back of the DVD case in front of me and it says that the show has a "lack of patronising moral absolutism" and I couldn't agree more. The show really doesn't care about the morals, it doesn't have to show you drugs are bad. We can make up our minds ourselves, it just dives straight in head first and doesn't care, and that's what teenage life is about. We don't always reflect on "oh should I have smoked that weed what is it doing to my health?" or "should I have drank that much?" ect, you just do it. And I loved that about the show, it's what I found so daring and charming about it actually.

In some ways I feel it's a more honest representation of teenage life than say Buffy was. Buffy dealt with human emotions to amazing extents and did it incredibly well, but they never drank, never tried drugs, never did any of those things. Do all teenagers? Nup, but a lot of them do and I think it's one area the show failed in.

Jackass Tony was a lot of fun. Having a completely horrid person on a show is so often enjoyable (Jayne on Firefly…ok, Tony is meaner…Barney on HIMYM) because they can do all the stuff that everyone thinks about doing but has too much of a conscience to hold them back. But in the end, he wasn’t just a jackass – and all the characters managed to combine good and bad qualities, so none of them are idealised, and none of them are just evil. I loved how they played the Maxxie/Anwar relationship, with Anwar’s discomfort not really going away as such, but he learns to get over it because in the end, they’re mates and that’s what matters.
      The thing with Tony was that unlike Jane, I didn't find his quirks or personality at all charming. I just found him utterly repulsive, I loved seeing him fall down so hard when his friends stood up to him, as well as Michelle. I didn't see any redeeming qualities in him. But unlike Jane I don't think we were supposed to, it wasn't what they were going for. I don't think we were ever supposed to support or love Tony until he made changes to his personality, which as you say, he did.

And I'm glad you brought up the Maxxie/Anwar relationship, because again, that's another aspect of the show I adored. It was so real and honest, Anwar had trouble with him being gay and instead of there being this whole moral lesson he needs to learn blah blah, it's far more complicated and natural than that. He doesn't ever embrace it, but he learns to deal with it and he doesn't put Maxxie's sexuality before all his other qualities. It was really great, I was very proud of that storyline and how it wasn't just resolved in a nice neat little package. He's grew up a Muslim boy and been taught that to be gay is wrong, and that's not something one can simply get over, and I'm glad they didn't try and make it like it is easy to get over. Or that Anwar is a horrible person because of this, because I don't believe he was even if I have no problems with homosexuality.

It is very sad. I wasn’t particularly interested in Effy, she was a bit smug, but maybe they will come up with some good ‘uns? Wish we could just follow the old ones where they go next though. I don’t own it yet but will probably get it cos I want to show it to my gf.
      Me neither. I agree with you about Effy being to smug. She's too much of the bad girl and so far we haven't really seen many flaws from her, she's too all seeing and all knowing and those characters don't appeal to me greatly. Hopefully they'll give her some flaws and humiliation to the ground the character. But then I'm still currently undecided if I'll tune in or not, curiosity may get the better of me but I'm really not compelled to for any positive reasons.

Chris’s death and funeral totally killed me. He had a little Xander in him I feel.
      Oh for sure! The fireworks were amazing though, that was really cool and I love the haunting shot of all the kids standing up on the hill with Sid's dad's car behind them. Such a great shot.

Did you have a favourite character from the show? A favourite episode? What season did you prefer?
      vampmogs
      Slayer Supporter
      Last edited by vampmogs; 02-07-08, 11:37 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Working...
      X