The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dresden Files

Did anyone else besides me watch and LOVE the Dresden Files?

The show didn't get a lot of publicity, so I don't know how many people even knew it existed. The plot reminded me generally of the Angel plot line. A wizard tries to do good while being overseen by a greater authority.

Great special effects and executive produced by Nicholas Cage!

So, was I the only one watching? (Status - 1st full season aired - no news on renewal or cancellation yet.)
    sigpic

NO!! You were not the only one watching!! I LOVED the first season of Dresden Files!! So hoping it will be back in the fall.

Sure wish that James Marsters could have been Harry Dresden in the TV Show - you know he is the voice of Harry Dresden in the audio-books. He was offered part, but it is filmed in Canada. James turned the part down because of family committments.

I loved the storylines!
    -TP<3
    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
      NO!! You were not the only one watching!! I LOVED the first season of Dresden Files!! So hoping it will be back in the fall.

Sure wish that James Marsters could have been Harry Dresden in the TV Show - you know he is the voice of Harry Dresden in the audio-books. He was offered part, but it is filmed in Canada. James turned the part down because of family committments.

I loved the storylines!
      WHAT! No way! I didn't even know of the Dresden Files as BOOKS until I saw the "based on....." blurb on the show opening. James Marsters is the voice on the audio? I'm so there! I've been missing James on TV......I was planning on getting the books to read anyway, but maybe I'll get the audio instead!

The plots felt to "homey" to the Buffy/Angel/Charmed obsessed because of the whole "higher power/senior partner/elder" authority figures. And even some of the demons had the same strengths and weaknesses as what we were used to.

And BOB! I love the BOB character so much, it's not even funny.

How could you NOT like the (hopefully) season finale? Ancient Maia did all that HERSELF? Can you just imagine what she could be capable of in (again, hopefully) future seasons?

I'm really, really hoping this is renewed and we can spread the word around here about how cool this show is to raise the viewership!
      sigpic

Comment

Here's an article about the books and James doing the narrating/voices:

"From Publishers Weekly
        As in the audio adaptation of Butcher's first Dresden Files novel, Storm Front, Marsters (who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) slips easily into the role of down-on-his-luck wizard Harry Dresden. Marsters's self-deprecating tone fits the character perfectly; he reads with a dry, ironic humor that doesn't mask Harry's genuine concern for the lives of innocents. Marsters also displays a remarkable skill for lending even the strangest characters and creatures voices-including gentleman gangster Johnny Marconi, his henchmen, a sexy female werewolf and Bob, the British-accented talking skull. In this outing, Harry is again out of cash, and police detective Karrin Murphy, who's still angry at him over the events of the first book, isn't inclined to throw work his way. But soon a series of mysterious, violent murders sends her to Harry for help. Are the killings the work of a local motorcycle gang? Or a werewolf-and if so, which werewolf? Mac Finn, the werewolf environmentalist? The group of idealistic college kids who voluntarily become werewolves by night? Or the trigger-happy group of FBI agents turned werewolf vigilantes? Though the price of this audio package may put off some listeners, Marsters's lively telling makes it worth every penny.
        Copyright ? Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. "

Yes! I love all the characters!! Bob is a personal favorite!! The darker flavor does have an appeal to Angel lovers. (that's me!) And The Harry character is right up my alley because he's a redeemable character! I think my favorite was one of the first episodes - had VAMPIRES! I of course want Harry to tell us a little more about THAT relationship!!!
        Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 18-06-07, 06:23 AM.
        -TP<3
        "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

The beautiful, sexy one? I can't wait for that story, either! And I'd like to hear the whole story of the hockey stick, too!

I've read that people aren't too crazy about the show because it doesn't follow the books closely enough - I can understand that, I hate it when my fav books are wrecked by TV.

Maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise when I get to read the original stories!
          sigpic

Comment

Yes! She would be the one!! There has to be something there...

Definitely need a hockey stick flashback episode. I really liked the Bob story.

I haven't read any of the books yet. (I should since I miss James so much!) But yes it is discouraging when they stray from the books. The only time I ever said the movie was better than the book was LOTR!! (I think Tokien would have been satified with PJ's version! )

I looked on some of the websites - there is a petition they are signing over at the Dresden File site on Sci-fi. That doesn't sound encouraging... But Sci-Fi is a little more forgiving than FOX (still not happy about Drive...)
            -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I really liked this show and I hope they bring it back. I loved Harry, but my favorite character was Bob, haha. He was great! It would REALLY have been AMAZING if James Marsters had taken the part.
              "Love isn't brains, children, it's blood...blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."
              - Spike
              http://world3.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=383001568

Comment

I absolutely watched Dresden Files and really looked forward to every episode! I loved the vampire episode--------I think I recorded that one so it's in my collection. Grubby looking Harry with his black magic back story and Bob living in the skull------what's not to like! Not to mention the special effects........

I really hope this one comes back-------it is so worth watching!

Comment

I'm obsessively checking every site I can think of almost daily for the status and so far all I can find is "TBD"
                  sigpic

Comment

I was a big fan of the show also. Bob was also my favorite character. The Complete First Season is available for pre-order from Amazon. Its release date is Aug. 7th.

LINK

No word on season two.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad View Post
                      I was a big fan of the show also. Bob was also my favorite character. The Complete First Season is available for pre-order from Amazon. Its release date is Aug. 7th.

LINK

No word on season two.
                      YAHOO! Zooming over to Amazon to pre-order! Wonder if that is a good omen or a bad omen for season 2?
                      sigpic

Comment

My guess is that it is a good omen. If there wasn't going to be a season two then I think they would have said on the dvd "the complete series" instead of saying that it was the first season. So, YAY, here's hoping.
                        "Love isn't brains, children, it's blood...blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."
                        - Spike
                        http://world3.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=383001568

Comment

Unfortunately, I just read on Ask Ausiello sources say Dresden Files "is toast". However, Sci Fi insists no decision has been made. So, I guess it's anybody's guess right now!

And I just read today (8/23/07) that Dresden files was cancelled! Darn Sci Fi network!
                          Last edited by Cinderela; 24-08-07, 12:15 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X