Still kinda needing backstory here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still kinda needing backstory here!

So like nearly everyone above a certain age who was brought up in the UK, I watched Doctor Who as a child. I was never very fastidious about watching it, and I certainly can't remember very much from those long distant days. The problem is with the new series following on from the old ones I find that I feel I'm only getting half the story (kinda like watching BtVS for the first time at S7). I know there are a few people on here who have a much wider knowledge on the old series, so I was hoping that some questions could be answered:-

The Time War:
    Did this actually happen during the run of the old series, or did it always happen before the Doctor started travelling in the TARDIS? Is there anything else about the time war that can elighten me? Who started it, and why? Why did the Doctor survive when everyone else died?

The Master:
    The impression that the new S3 gives is that The Master and The Doctor were very close. Is their history shown previously? Has he always been evil-ish?

The Doctor's family:
    Ok so we know he's got a daughter from the current season, but what of the actual daughter? Who was the mother and was she a companion?

So I guess I'd need to re-watch some classic Who episodes to really understand some of this, so can anyone guide me to some iconic episodes that are important to the current Doctor? (I mean there are an awful lot of old Who to watch, and I'm not sure that I've got the time to go through all those seasons!)

Also, I thought this thread could be a good place for discussing the old series to compare and contrast to the new one, as well as to ask Who related questions.
    sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

My knowledge of old Who is patchy, as I only started watching it properly in the Sylvester McCoy Era (or rather, the Ace era, because she was the best companion EVER). But I’ll answer what I can…

The Doctor's family:
    Ok so we know he's got a daughter from the current season, but what of the actual daughter? Who was the mother and was she a companion?
    We’ve never met the Doctor’s daughter, just his granddaughter, Susan. She was the very first companion. She eventually left the Doctor to get married…well, he kinda left her behind, but it was “for her own good”. Patronising fck.

But her mother remains a mystery as far as I know.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
      The Time War:
      Did this actually happen during the run of the old series, or did it always happen before the Doctor started travelling in the TARDIS? Is there anything else about the time war that can elighten me? Who started it, and why? Why did the Doctor survive when everyone else died?
      The Time War happened at some point in between the classic series and the new series, something that RTD invented to add a bit of background mystery and angst to the character. All we know about it is what we have been told in the three-and-a-half seasons of the new series. In the old series, he was travelling first because he was a misfit renegade and later because he just liked it.

The Master:
      The impression that the new S3 gives is that The Master and The Doctor were very close. Is their history shown previously? Has he always been evil-ish?
      The Master has always been randomly evil and insane, yes. He and the Doctor were never close, as such, but they have always been the best of enemies. If that makes sense

The Doctor's family:
      As tangent says, we have never know anything of the Doctor's family other than the fact that he had a granddaughter, named Susan, living and travelling with him way back at the start of the show. The very first episode, The Unearthly Child, centred around her. The Doctor was a renegade and an outcast from his people. He'd brought Susan to 1960s London to live for a while, and she'd enrolled in school - but her teachers were very curious about the curious holes in her knowledge in some areas and absolute brilliance in others. Two of those teachers followed her home one day, and found themselves in the Tardis. The Doctor took exception to this and pretty much abducted them in a fit of pique - he was a crotchety old man in that incarnation. And the rest is history!

Comment

The Master has always been randomly evil and insane, yes. He and the Doctor were never close, as such, but they have always been the best of enemies. If that makes sense
        I recall something about him and The Master being friends in school before The Master went bonkers.
        Nikole
        Hellmouth Tourist
        Last edited by Nikole; 20-05-08, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Well the Timewar 's been covered by the other answers. There is one other theory though that the Time war has been going on for a while and that previous Dalek centered eps of Classic Who (Rememberance of.. and Resurrection of...) were actually the opening salvos of a bigger struggle that has been going on since but which culminated in the unseen events that left the Doctor so mentally scarred.

As for the Master, he has as Llywela says always been the Doctors best enemy (love that expression). He's the Moriarty to his Holmes and with them being so similar is often his best matched adversary. In his earlier incarnations he was shown as a Timelord who had used all his regenerations and his struggles with the Doctor were all about him trying to find himself a new set of the same or some other way of prolonging his life (he took over several bodies at one point). The drums is a bit of a modern invention for the new series and his persona has changed somewhat from moustache twirling 'Bwahahah' villain to the more stark raving loony one he has now.

There's a good general Classic Who resource Here
          tangent
          Lonely God
          Last edited by tangent; 20-05-08, 08:46 PM.
          JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
          Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

As tangent says...
            Ahem!

Generally, re Old Who, I'd be interested to know whether they kept continuity through all the series, given that continuity never used to be such a focus with TV shows.

Comment

That's strange what you are all saying about the Time War never being shown. I saw a Dr Who Confidential (this season but dunno what ep it was for) where they showed a clip of a Classic Who where he was very stressed about pusing a button which would wipe them all out - the indication was that it was the Daleks, and I think the Doctor was Tom Baker. From that I presumed that Classic Who delved into the Time War, but maybe it was a clever ploy to make people like me wanna go out and buy all the old eps on DVD!
              sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

That's strange what you are all saying about the Time War never being shown. I saw a Dr Who Confidential (this season but dunno what ep it was for) where they showed a clip of a Classic Who where he was very stressed about pusing a button which would wipe them all out - the indication was that it was the Daleks, and I think the Doctor was Tom Baker. From that I presumed that Classic Who delved into the Time War, but maybe it was a clever ploy to make people like me wanna go out and buy all the old eps on DVD!
                A clever ploy indeed. I think they also started parcelling up some of the old eps that dealt with the Master when season 3 came out.

Comment

Definitely a clever ploy, as Wolfie says.

I have vague memories of that episode. Yes, it was the Daleks, but a completely separate incident than the Time War that wiped out (almost) both species. The Time Lords and Daleks had been enemies for years before that all came to a head with the Time War that traumatised the Doc so.

The incident you refer to I think was when the Time Lords sent the 4th Doc back in time to stop the Daleks coming into existence. And he struggled and struggled and couldn't bring himself to do it...but I forget the outcome, since obviously they came into existence!

Comment

The Fourth Doctor ep was Genesis of...

The Doctor struggles with the morality of mass genocide to stop the Daleks much as he did in The Parting of the Ways but is saved from making the choice by outside influences.

It's one of the great eps.
                    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Working...
                    X