What are Niki's powers exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Niki's powers exactly?

Well I've been catching up on Heroes for season one. I've seen every episode for season two and I don't think this question has been answered and if it has I wasn't paying attention. So the question is, what is actually Niki's power?
    East Wick Season Two -Coming Soon-

Banner By: Pandora's Box

This is one of the biggest problems I have with "Heroes:" their "explanation" for Niki and her powers. It doesn't make sense at all considering all of the events that took place during season 1.

At a convention or something, some of the writers/producers were asked this exact same question and they basically said that they had assumed the fans had figured it out and that they thought they made it clear as to what Niki's powers are: her ability is super-strength. They also said that Jessica (Season 1) and Gina (2.08 "Four Months Ago...") were only in Niki's head. They developed when Niki first got her powers because her mind couldn't handle it so it created a new way to access them.

Based on everything we saw in season 1, this explanation just...doesn't work for the Niki/Jessica relationship. How did Matt hear both of them through the door in 1.15 "Run!" and why does the Symbol appear on Niki's back whenever Jessica takes over her body? Why does she have entire conversations with herself (1.06 "Better Halves," 1.12 "Godsend," etc...) and why would Niki think that she was really fighting Jessica in 1.23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man?" And I haven't even begun to touch on the fact that Jessica was really Niki's sister and that the personality manifested right after she was killed...

It seems like the writers realized that they never explained Niki and her powers after season 1 had finished and they knew that they needed to answer it in season 2 so they essentially threw out everything that had happened before for a new explanation and a new personality (Gina) to put fans at ease. But, of course, the fans are not at ease and find this explanation to be crap.

So yeah...That's it. I'm hoping that, in season 3, the writers dive into Niki's character and powers and why the Symbol appears on her shoulder.

*A theory I've developed for season 3 that probably won't come true but oh well...it uses some very vague information from season 3, though*

Spoiler:
    What would be killer, though, is if my theory about Jessica, Niki's sister, still being alive and held captive by the Company came true...Then they would open up sooo many doors for Niki's character and they'd give her a very personal villain.
    wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
      This is one of the biggest problems I have with "Heroes:" their "explanation" for Niki and her powers. It doesn't make sense at all considering all of the events that took place during season 1.

At a convention or something, some of the writers/producers were asked this exact same question and they basically said that they had assumed the fans had figured it out and that they thought they made it clear as to what Niki's powers are: her ability is super-strength. They also said that Jessica (Season 1) and Gina (2.08 "Four Months Ago...") were only in Niki's head. They developed when Niki first got her powers because her mind couldn't handle it so it created a new way to access them.

Based on everything we saw in season 1, this explanation just...doesn't work for the Niki/Jessica relationship. How did Matt hear both of them through the door in 1.15 "Run!" and why does the Symbol appear on Niki's back whenever Jessica takes over her body? Why does she have entire conversations with herself (1.06 "Better Halves," 1.12 "Godsend," etc...) and why would Niki think that she was really fighting Jessica in 1.23 "How to Stop an Exploding Man?" And I haven't even begun to touch on the fact that Jessica was really Niki's sister and that the personality manifested right after she was killed...

It seems like the writers realized that they never explained Niki and her powers after season 1 had finished and they knew that they needed to answer it in season 2 so they essentially threw out everything that had happened before for a new explanation and a new personality (Gina) to put fans at ease. But, of course, the fans are not at ease and find this explanation to be crap.

So yeah...That's it. I'm hoping that, in season 3, the writers dive into Niki's character and powers and why the Symbol appears on her shoulder.

*A theory I've developed for season 3 that probably won't come true but oh well...it uses some very vague information from season 3, though*

Spoiler:
      What would be killer, though, is if my theory about Jessica, Niki's sister, still being alive and held captive by the Company came true...Then they would open up sooo many doors for Niki's character and they'd give her a very personal villain.
      It is very frustrating to get her "ability" like you said. I agree with everything you stated, but don't you ever wonder if Jessica is in Niki's body. I mean like.. some how they split into two, like you said in episode 15 "Run" when they were arguing. What if they split and don't realize that they're doing it and then go back to one person (one body)? I don't know?. is that a good theory? Sorry it I sound all confusing.
      East Wick Season Two -Coming Soon-

Banner By: Pandora's Box

Comment

I always felt pretty comfortable with Niki's powers and their limitations. Her ability, the one that Mohinder would be able to find on his shiny list, is obviously her super strength. Everything else about her is just good old fashioned crazy. And, in the case of Jessica, she could only access her strength in that personality because she lacked the will to reach for it as Niki -- too meek, too timid, too victimized. In 1.23 she resolves the Jessica personality into her own and therefore has conscious access to her power for the first time.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
          I always felt pretty comfortable with Niki's powers and their limitations. Her ability, the one that Mohinder would be able to find on his shiny list, is obviously her super strength. Everything else about her is just good old fashioned crazy. And, in the case of Jessica, she could only access her strength in that personality because she lacked the will to reach for it as Niki -- too meek, too timid, too victimized. In 1.23 she resolves the Jessica personality into her own and therefore has conscious access to her power for the first time.
          Which is a great explanation...for Gina. Gina WAS Niki all along. It was a name that she took on when she ran away to Los Angeles for a summer. It was Niki all along.

But Jessica was a whole 'nother person - her sister. The personality manifested right after she was killed - which contradicts what Bob told Niki in season 2 about the personalities being created to try to handle her power because Jessica has been there for decades. And then there's the tattoo/birthmark/figment-of-everyone's-imagination-that-requires-makeup-to-cover-it-when-Jessica-doesn't-want-everyone-to-find-out-she's-not-Niki. WHY does that appear when Jessica takes over? They just...left that unexplained. Not to mention, we never caught a glimpse of it when Gina took over in "Four Months Ago..." so are we supposed to believe that it's there? Or is it NOT there?

There's is so much that needs to be explained concerning Niki and it should've been explained last season when Niki was working for the Company or when she was receiving treatment from Bob. But, alas, Niki was simply reduced to a pathetic plot device instead of being a real character (same with Nathan).

Seriously, it would've been perfect. I only take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact that Tim Kring has figured out exactly where "Heroes" is gonna go from now on and that he's having the show return to season 1 format (but at a faster pace) and that the focus is gonna be on the people from the first episode.
          wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Working...
          X