7.16 "Descent" - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.16 "Descent" - SPOILERS

Yep, this episode aired yesterday, and I'll post a mini-review.

Okay, wow. IMHO, this was either the best, or one of the best episodes this season. And definitely a favorite! I mean, best SV teaser ever! LEX pushed his own dad out of a window on the 40th level! :eek: And subconscious Lex was awesome, but it was so sad to see Lex finally kill his "good" side. He has totally turned evil, and about damn time. So, Lex also fired Chloe! NO! I guess this kind of helps Lois, though, cause she does need to become the journalist. But, it's CHLOE! I loved the Clark vs. Lex scene at the very end in the graveyard, but I loved the Clark confronting Lex about murdering his father. That scene was so intense and Lex accusing Clark of "killing" his father was so low. MR is an amazing actor! Also, can't wait to see what Jimmy and Lois do now that their evidence of Lex killing Lionel is gone, and now that Gina is dead, who's gonna tell Lex what Clark really is? That was a pretty close one. I thought he was going to find out.

All-in-all, a fantastic episode.

I gotta say I was pretty happy to see Linoel Luthor finally die. Not that I didn't like the character, I just gotta say I didn't enjoy him being a main character from season 2 on. He would have worked alot better as a recurring character. His constant roller coaster of good guy to bad guy. I got really sick of it by the end of season 5.

The episode itself was great. I am glad the writers strike broke so that we got this episode. The most chilling scene of course would be the final scene with Clark and Lex at the grave. My skin crawled at the tension, and the last shot that mirrored "Reckoning" with Clark. Just a stunning piece of film work.

The rest of the episode was filled with some great character work. The Lois/Jimmy stuff was cute and a great glimps into their future working together. Chloe also had some great stuff, though I found it creepy of her using Lana's computers at Isis.

Since I havn't been 100% following the series, I really didn't know who that Gina was, but was shocked to see her die in the way she did! That was twisted and very CSI and was surprised to see it on TheCW.

I can't wait to get this DVD when it comes out and fully watch it. Though I really really really hope somehow, Smallville hits a 10th season. I just don't think the world would work without Smallville on TV. Though I would love to see it move to CBS.

Comment

This was a fantastic episode indeed! Lex killing his father was chilling but strangely fitting somehow. It perfectly demonstrated that there is no hope for Lex anymore, he is beyond redemption now, which as a Lex fangirl I find sad even though I knew it was coming. I loved how the writers showed us the good side of Lex once more in the form of young Lex and it chilled me to the bone when adult Lex murdered the last good thing inside of him that he had left. Lex is completely evil now and there is not going back and him murdering young Lex perfectly demonstrated this. MR was on the top of his game again in this episode, kudos to him, his performance was flawless and so versatile in this episode, conveying so many of Lex's complex emotions without ever overacting.

My two favourite scenes in this episode were the two Lex/Clark scenes. The first one was very powerful and intense, with Clark flat-out accusing Lex of murdering his father. I didn't expect that and was glad that Clark did it. Lex insinuating that Jonathan's death had something to do with Clark was a low blow but he was lashing out at his point and trying to come to terms with his feelings of jealousy towards Clark. I'm not sure we have ever heard it quite this plainly on the show how much Lex suffered from Lionel's affection for Clark, how jealous he was of this affection, how much it ate away at him that Lionel did not show Lex the same sort of affection. I also loved how the scene ended with Clark saying in a steely voice "I have proof" and Lex visibly being shaken by this.

The second scene I really loved was the last scene of the ep. Not only was it absolutely beautifully filmed (something SV keeps being very good at) but I love that both Clark and Lex did not say a word to each other but so much was still conveyed by looks and facial expressions. It was great that Clark was the only one to defy Lex's wishes and to show up at Lionel's funeral in the first place. Oh and on a shallow note: seeing TW and MR looking beautiful in tuxedos didn't hurt either.

This episode also left us with a very interesting question to ponder: what could possibly be that thing/person/whatever that is able to control Clark? It certainly set up a nice mystery for the rest of the season.

Comment

Wow, I really must say, this is one of my favorite SV episodes ever. First of all, the acting was back on track after the past few eppy's of confusing direction. It was so great to see the excellent writing mesh with what I know the actors are capable of.

As everyone else has said, the graveyard scene was my absolute favorite. I loved the lighting in these shots, btw - and sorry for the off topic-ness... But what else can I say about this scene that hasn't all ready been said.

Lex finally going over the edge to the land of no return. I loved how the writers portrayed this with him seeing his younger self right after he looked into Lionel's dead eyes. It was like his last traces of conscience was trying to break him. I thought it was very telling that Lex destroyed young Lex in the fire - a neat representation of his own self's eventual burning in hell, and the hell that he's created for himself here on earth.

My question is, who murdered Gina? At first when watching the scene, I thought it was some long lost veritas memeber that was trying to protect Clark. But re-watching the episode, Lex's look to her in Chloe's office when she said 'we did it', the cold calculating look he gave her - I think he had her killed so that there would be no one left to know what he did (ie, killed Lionel and about the keys). I bet he's going to be kicking himself after he gets her voice mail.

I really loved the scene with Jimmy and Lois in the archive room going over the photograph. I like the camera angles with the moving around them, it was a neat way to capture the scene. Plus, I loved their working buddy chemistry in this scene. I'm so loving Jimmy.

Ok, slightly off-topic, but is Aaron Ashmore the same guy who played the ice guy in X-men? because it looks EXACTLY like him, but the credits say Shawn Ashmore. Does he have a twin? Or does he go by both names? [/off topic]

So, from Clark's comment about Lana being in pain in the institution, I gather she is not dead. I thought after the end of the last episode that she died, but apparently not.

Oh, and when I was watching, I thought I caught a glimpse at the bottom of the screen that said something about a sneak peek of 'Kara and the chronicles of Krypton'. Is there going to be a spin-off show? Or was I seeing things?

Anywho, a totally terriffic episode. I haven't seen one I like this much since the 100th, so that's really saying something. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out, and how they wrap up the story-arc about what it is that can control Clark.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
          Ok, slightly off-topic, but is Aaron Ashmore the same guy who played the ice guy in X-men? because it looks EXACTLY like him, but the credits say Shawn Ashmore. Does he have a twin? Or does he go by both names? [/off topic]

Oh, and when I was watching, I thought I caught a glimpse at the bottom of the screen that said something about a sneak peek of 'Kara and the chronicles of Krypton'. Is there going to be a spin-off show? Or was I seeing things?
          To your first question: Aaron Ashmore and Shawn Ashmore are twin brothers, yes. Two different guys, same family, same face. Shawn was in the X-Men movies and Aaron was on "Veronica Mars" for a little bit before transfering to "Smallville" as Jimmy.

To your second question: No. There's no news of a spin-off...yet. It's possible but I, personally, don't see it happening. The "Kara and the Chronicles of Krypton" thing is is a comic that's gonna come out online and that they're gonna show briefly during commerical breaks that tells the story of Kara's life on Krypton...I THINK. I'm not 100% sure. They did this same web-comic thing last year and I think that they actually did it earlier THIS year, too. Maybe? I don't remember exactly. But yeah.

And I agree with everything else: AMAZING episode. Maybe not my favorite ever, but it's definitely in my top 3 episodes of the season so far. I also think that it was the best 16th episode the show has had to date - and "Promise" was an incredble episode, in my opinion, so saying that this one was better is a huge compliment from me.
          wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

7.16 - 'Descent'

This episode proved that Allison Mack is ready to be the lead female. She could potentially have an amazing arc next season, assuming Allison does return. I'm really hoping she takes over the Isis Foundation for now, especially with Lana out of commission. I do hope she ends of at the Daily Planet again, but I hope it's not until next season, if not the series finale. I think taking Chloe's main drive away could be an amazing opportunity to explore her in more ways in the last season.

I love the Jimmy/Lois dynamic. It's good to see those two working together, since we know how the end up. I loved it when Jimmy was comforting her, and himself , and telling them they'll both become famous journalist someday. I really hope the two continue to get paired together as the series goes on.

It's good to see Lex Luthor, he's officially an *******. I seriously hated him this entire episode. I must admit, I'm glad he killed Lionel. Lionel had to die at the hands of Lex. I especially love they way it was done.

And Clark was there too. I love that he wanted to find Brainiac to save Lana, screw is own family. Kara will be alright, she's a big girl. Not that Lana doesn't need to be helped, but still. He could at least show some little sign of caring about Kara's whereabouts.

I'm glad Lana and Kara were both absent. They wouldn't have fit into this episode. Also, I'm glad Maggie Sawyer made a reappearance, she needs to appear more often.

Anyway, it was a great episode. I hope Smallville continues to remain this high of quality.

Comment

I actually never had a problem with Lionel so I was pretty surprised he was killed. I thought for sure Chole would die. Regardless, I was pleased with the storyline; to have the son kill the father like that is much more thrilling. I'd have to say this episode is in the top three for me. In fact, its the top episode of the season. I look forward to next week!!
              Banner by Digital Leonardo

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                Originally posted by Heather View Post
                To your first question: Aaron Ashmore and Shawn Ashmore are twin brothers, yes. Two different guys, same family, same face. Shawn was in the X-Men movies and Aaron was on "Veronica Mars" for a little bit before transfering to "Smallville" as Jimmy.
                It should also be noted that Shawn Ashmore HAS infact been on Smallville. He was in season 1's "Leech" and season 3's "Asylum". Which is why I was surprised to see Aaron Ashmore as Jimmy, but I gotta say Aaron has been able to make the character so likeable that I think people forget that Shawn Ashmore was even in the series.

Comment

Working...
                X